Pleasures for Men 1997Cologne

Pleasures for Men (Cologne) by Estēe Lauder
Pleasures for Men (Cologne) is a perfume by Estēe Lauder for men and was released in 1997. The scent is fresh-floral. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Pierre Wargnye

Top Notes Top NotesGreen leaves, Nectarine, Sky air accord, Citrus notes
Heart Notes Heart NotesCoriander seed, Pimento, Red ginger
Base Notes Base NotesEbony, Oakmoss, Sandalwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 17.11.2020.

It's a pleasure!
Quote: "You don't have to spend a fortune on good fragrances. There are also excellent perfumes for little money, which are in no way inferior to expensive products."

When I read such statements, I usually react with rolling eyes and a hint of surrender. After a thousand tested men's fragrances and more than a hundred bottles I have come to the conclusion that quality costs money. But let the gentlemen make their own experiences, I think to myself.

It reminds me of my experiences with wines or teas.

An example: Merchants who sell southern European wines are often tempted to say: "For one tenth of the price of a Bordeaux wine, you can get a wine here that is in no way inferior to its more expensive counterpart" No way! Anyone who has ever drunk a well-ripened, excellent Bordeaux will know what I mean.

And yet:

They exist, the exceptions. Although you have to invest a small fortune and a lot of time for research until you find them, they do exist.

(At that time I discovered an excellent red wine from Pic St. Loup in southern France. The wine was called "Cuvee Ste. Agnes 1999". It was offered for 9,90 Euro and I bought 44 (!) bottles, each of which I drank or gave away with great pleasure)

And as far as men's fragrances are concerned, I don't know of three pieces for under 50,- Euro/100ml, of which I could say that I would pay 150,- Euro for them. But they do exist, these trouvallias. By the way, here too I had to spend a small fortune on research until I discovered them. But the way yes is at least an enjoyable part of the goal.

And "Pleasures" is one of those rare gems
For me the whole product is perfect! Starting with the bottle. It is of high quality, tasteful, sits comfortably in the hand and is easy to use.

And the smell could hardly be more beautiful:

Fresh, paired with tangy, flowery ozone. Incredibly well balanced and a pleasure for the nose. Everything is round, nothing stands out. I don't want to succeed in describing much more. Because every ingredient is perfectly integrated. Neither the citrus notes, nor the spices, nor the woods stand out. The fragrance is round, satisfying and of high quality. And it carries itself really well
Yes, there are, the cheap, good scents. Which are not only somehow okay (I could name dozens of them), but which completely satisfy my nose
A real pleasure!

PS.
By the way, the fragrance has been reformulated. I used to use it for years. But I don't remember it being this round. The sky air chord has always been there. But the ozone seems new to me and it blends in perfectly with the fragrance.
A true giver of joy*
No way! What's the point?

Oh so sorry, but after all this fragrance is called Pleasures, and every time I apply it I have for a millisecond the association of a predominantly skin-colored 80s movie poster, including 1-2 black bars.

Eat stupid, but eat like this, ... just because of this damn naming :)

In itself "Pleasures" is a nice term, like many others, but in a corresponding context it can be interpreted like this (almost every second word;) And that's why I'm hesitant to write this commentary for months, because I'm aware: as soon as I start it, you want to misunderstand everything:) Therefore I have marked possible ambiguities with * to avoid any misunderstandings.

Here the story and fragrance description:

Last year, in the hottest* summer since the weather was recorded, when I exchanged fresh scents with a perfume, he recommended Pleasures for Men to me like a shot from the hip* because he knows my preferences*. I trusted him blindly because he has a lot of experience... What? Both he and I are stock-hetero and we don't even know each other personally! It doesn't work like that, we are a serious community ... So let's continue with the text and finally to the scent, because it looks quite innocent*

Pleasures is very fresh from the first hiss (I'm more into rhyming;) It's based on a fine L'Aventure Knight note (or Creeds GIT), which is called Sky-Air chord + green leaves here. A little citric and a light fruit sweetness of the nectarines. A very pleasant mixture, which somehow comes across as nice and harmless.

So no Pleasures for Men? Wait ...

After about half an hour, a flowery touch is added, which makes it even softer and sweeter. The mix is subtly interspersed with the listed spice mix, even though the ingredients can hardly be sniffed out individually. Why should I? All in all, Pleasures smells very harmonious, a little light green and transparent at the same time, and despite a few feminine traits it has a certain masculinity. A refined, differentiated and attractive composition, which gains a solid oldschool touch towards the end with ebony and moss, while the sandalwood gets involved much earlier.

And how do we end up with a curve to the asterisks * ? Quite simply: our dear miniature golf also describes pleasures very aptly, whereby in the scenery of her first paragraph you only need to replace the penultimate word with "lecher" (and may she forgive me for the fun).

But back to the seriousness* (the name of the perpetrator;)

Pleasures for Men looks a little smug and curly, looks clean and well-groomed, but is at the same time almost almost. Because there are hardly any fragrance twins and the listed ones hardly apply. This Lauder is not a loud, but a good-humor:) A beautiful evergreen, preferably worn in spring and summer, in leisure and at work. The H&S are in the midfield, on clothing it lasts up to 8 hours, depending on the textile. His Sillage is always present at half arm length to exude a positive aura. Because no matter what comes to your mind about pleasures, as a fragrance it is

a true giver of joy !

MrHonest
The epitome of inoffensive aromatic relaxation
You're looking at the title thinking, "Whaaa?" I'm serious though. I remember smelling this in my mother's fashion magazine back in the late 90s. I really enjoyed the quasi-feminine fruity vibe it gave off, similar to many other Estee Lauder products at the time. Needless to say, I kept the strip for years and would often go back to it when I felt I needed another fix.

Fast forward to 2008, when I managed to come upon a full bottle from a legitimate vendor who made a stop at our local hospital. I immediately made the connection to my past and purchased a bottle. Although the smell wasn't exactly as I remembered, it was pretty damn good. It's very airy, sophisticated, light and fruity-fresh with a very synthetic nectarine note off the top. The spiciness comes out in the mid, but it's rather well blended and never gets cloying. Personally, I don't get any wood in the base since the entire composition just has this light, aromatic vibe, similar to what you might get from Ferrari's Light Essence Aqua.

My first impression was that it smelled like freshly laundered linen, or a white cotton dress shirt. If you know Mont Blanc's Individuel, the scent is somewhat similar, just with nectarine instead of the raspberry. Pleasures also goes through a bit of a transition in the mid to become somewhat creamy, though retaining that aromatic freshness. It's ultra inoffensive and even a little generic, but I can't deny that it just smells PLEASANT. It's a fitting name, despite the poor longevity and projection.

WTH is a Sky Air Accord?
Is it ozonic, aquatic, or what? I would like to know, so I can identify it when I am smelling.

My mini-rant aside, Pleasures opens up with a pleasant burst of citrus, nectarine, and green notes, exactly as the Fragrance Notes above say. I can detect the hint of spice from the coriander, pimento and ginger, and I still get lovely woods and a hint (sadly) of oakmoss. Overall, it's still a very pleasant experience. It's fresh, green, with just a touch of spice, and would make a nice daily wear for the right person.

Luca Turin kind of panned this one (3 stars), saying it was "...above average, but could have been so much better." I would have to disagree with him on this one. I love his reviews, and he has turned me on to some wonderful fragrances, but not a lot that were infinitely wearable like Pleasures for Men is. No, this isn't particularly groundbreaking, but I don't see it having to be. The ingredients are above average in this fragrance, it's well-blended and not linear at all (so it remains interesting to my nose), and, in my opinion, represents good value.

Longevity is quite good with a fragrance of this type, me getting 8+ hours on my skin, sillage is moderately strong (but never offensive), and it has an adequate bottle with a great sprayer (typical of Lauder products). This is a great casual that is inoffensive, very wearable, and doesn't smell like a shampoo or body wash. I would give this a strong 7 out of 10.

by Michael
by Michael

Popular Estēe Lauder

Private Collection (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Azurēe by Estēe Lauder Amber Mystique by Estēe Lauder Youth-Dew (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Knowing (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Cinnabar (1978) (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Lauder for Men (Cologne) by Estēe Lauder Aliage (1972) / Alliage by Estēe Lauder Sensuous Noir by Estēe Lauder Beautiful (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estēe Lauder White Linen (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Azurēe (2015) by Estēe Lauder Estēe (1968) (Super Cologne) by Estēe Lauder Youth-Dew (Perfume) by Estēe Lauder Sensuous (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Bronze Goddess 2008 by Estēe Lauder Wood Mystique by Estēe Lauder