Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang (2008) Eau de Parfum

Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder

Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Estēe Lauder for women and was released in 2008. The scent is sweet-oriental. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Top Notes Top NotesItalian bergamot, Geranium, Ylang-ylang absolute
Heart Notes Heart NotesBulgarian rose absolute, Ceylon cinnamon, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla bean, Sandalwood, Amber

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 15.12.2018

10.0 7.0 8.0 10.0/10

Kissa72
He will be my companion...
for autumn, I was thinking about these perfumes right when I was sniffing them! The first impression does not deceive.
Actually I wanted to get to know Amber Ylang some time ago, but there were other favorites that blocked my way to the fragrance or it was just no way to get it.... and so I was lucky here at Parfumo, the fragrance has now moved in with me...
It's a shame that I discovered perfume only now... it's been around for almost 10 years...
Who knows, maybe it's better that way, because everything in its time.
At that time I was not a big fan of such warm oriental scents. Although he is not such a typical Orient for me. Rather European adapted, adapted for our autumn season ( ideal!) and especially well suited for relaxation and cosy hours. The perfume is just made for at home - I want to wear it for myself and my loved ones, even if you simply have a Lazy Day...Or accompanying to sleep, which harmonizes, soothes and certainly gives sweet dreams!
The scent seduces you, because this amber vanilla music is not loud but very familiar and enveloping. Erotic but not explosive, soothing, and so that you don't even notice and your attention is dampened, the scent quietly brings you into its captivity.
At work he helps me to stay calm and not to get upset about the little things, not to hurry unnecessarily...Like today...
A tastefully balanced, soft fragrance that warms me with its vanilla, cinnamon and amber and gives me a feeling of security and security.
This is like a veil of fine spices and royal ylang.
The combination of ingredients has a hypnotic effect!
Amber Ylang is my true aromatherapy and a "protective coat" for the soul that carries me on its hands through the day.
For some the perfume can be quite a night, - evening smell. Yes, absolutely! I'd trust him to. It seems that Amber Ylang adapts to the owner, is not pushy and looks like your second skin.
Durability I don't find breathtaking but still good (if you don't have to have 24 hours of perfume), Sillage a bit quiet, and so it doesn't kill anyone and behaves discreetly in the background.
It's really a pity that this precious elixir isn't made anymore... But that's nothing new, there are so many masterpieces of perfume that you can't see anymore, unless you find the nice perfume lovers who are willing to share some drops of the magical scents with you.
I can't imagine the autumn days without Amber Ylang, my late discovered darling!
Many thanks to the dear Mörchen for the opportunity to get to know the fragrance!
Happy autumn days to you all!
7.5 7.5 10.0/10

Dulcemio
An oriental dream: sweet, earthy, woody vanilla
I have a feeling that when people ask over and over again for recommendations for a sweet, earthy, woody, vanillic oriental, PCAYY is exactly what many of them have in mind. They've just never encountered it because there is no tester on the perfume counter in Macys, it's a little pricey, and samples are hard to come by.

I lucked into it because one of my early swap partners has taste very similar to mine and she was an expert at predicting which ones I would love. She sent me a half-full mini as an extra, and bless her heart for doing that, otherwise I'd never have discovered this rich and satisfying elixir.

It checks all the boxes for me: woody, earthy, vanillic, sweet, long-lasting, excellent sillage. Each and every time I wear it, a couple of my co-workers take a deep sniff of the air around me and say something like, "mmmmm . . .you smell good."

It's one of a handful of perfumes I could wear everyday if I had to, and one I would truly miss if it disappeared.

Epilogue, Feb. 22, 2014: How on earth has it taken me three years to notice the rose note in this one??? A subtle, smooth, but very much there ROSE!!! Woo Hoo!
7.5 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

At the Vanguard of Pseudo-niche Perfumery
I was curious about the Estee Lauder Private Collection for quite some time, what with its thinly veiled insinuation that the other members of the EL line-up are somehow destined for hoi polloi. What could "private" really mean when these new fragrances were being sold just as freely at the EL website as all of the others by, I might add, a big-time corporate monster which encompasses more than a dozen other ostensibly independent lines as well (Clinique, Prescriptives, Origins, Donna Karan, Tom Ford, Aveda, Darphin, La Mer, etc...).

Having finally gained access to samples of a couple of the EL PC (not-so p.c.) perfumes, I am happily in a position to say something about the compositions, rather than waxing vainly about globalization.

AMBER YLANG YLANG opens with a veritable bomb of amber, already not the most subtle of notes, and here presented in a concentration sufficient to mask even the usually strong character of ylang ylang. As the amber begins to wear away slightly (which is strange, since usually amber figures in the basenotes, not the topnotes), the vanilla and sandalwood begin to assert themselves. The lightly sweet, floral-woody drydown of this composition is just beautiful. However, the brash amber opening is a bit much for me.

I would say that the question here is not about sophistication but amber tolerance. Anyone who loves hard-hitting sledgehammer ambers will welcome the opening of AMBER YLANG YLANG. Others may wish to hold their breath for several minutes.

Does this "private collection creation" live up to the hype? Well, the price is definitely not right. If this perfume is succeeding, it's only because there are enough people with enough money and insufficient olfactory sophistication to know better than that paying triple digits for a bottle guarantees superior perfumosity. I, for one, am unimpressed.

--------------
November 2013 update:

I just finished my large sample vial and have to say that I was overly harsh above. This smells pretty good in the drydown--provided that one is in the mood for labdanum amber... I do not find it overly sweet. I still think that it is a bit dense and sledgehammerish but somehow tonight it smells nice. I have increased my evaluation, as I would wear Amber Ylang Ylang, if I owned a bottle.

However, I still dislike the absurd "private collection" concept. Humph

Dulcemio 3 years ago
Of my collection, PCAYY gets the most "mmm, you smell good"s.+3
Nikolina 4 years ago
This perfume is part of my self!!! This is me! I have always a full bottle! The most special ylang ylang and amber here!!! Warm&Luxurious!!!+2

by Andreas09
by Andreas09
by Kwad
by Kwad
by Iris983
by Iris983

Popular Estēe Lauder

Youth-Dew (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Pleasures (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Sensuous Noir by Estēe Lauder Sensuous (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Amber Mystique by Estēe Lauder White Linen (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Private Collection (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Knowing (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Cinnabar (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Sensuous Nude by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Modern Muse (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Azurēe by Estēe Lauder Beautiful (Eau de Toilette) by Estēe Lauder Beyond Paradíse by Estēe Lauder Wood Mystique by Estēe Lauder Bronze Goddess 2008 by Estēe Lauder Spellbound (1991) (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estēe Lauder