Private Collection (1973) Eau de Parfum

Private Collection (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder

Private Collection (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Estēe Lauder for women and was released in 1973. The scent is floral-green. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesHoneysuckle, Jasmine, Citric notes
Heart Notes Heart NotesCoriander, Orange blossom, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Sandalwood

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 14.09.2019

7.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

Annarosa
Original scent between dandelion and laundry room
The first thing I notice - "Private Collection" is a very original and idiosyncratic fragrance, at least I don't know its equivalent.
It starts juicy-unsweet-green-the scent I open up for me as a mixture on the bitter-milky scent of dandelion-milk (meaning this white juice that sticks to your fingers and discolors when you pick and tear the dandelion blossoms or leaves), a hint of something earthy-woody and some nasturtium-green. I like this phase very much and it appears at the beginning and partly later on the cool air outside.
However, in the warm conditions inside, this green dandelion-milk scent mutates into a less appealing smell for me: the smell of the steaming laundry room of old. It smells like a huge, steaming aluminum pot full of boiling water and white cotton laundry and with unopened brown household soap inside. This laundry clean smell is a point because of which I am still uncertain whether I want the smell or not.
Nevertheless, I find the fragrance very unique and original. Durability and Sillage are good.
8.0 8.0 9.0 8.0/10

Honeysuckle at its best
Private Collection recently moved in with me. For a long time I read your impressive comments, studied the scents used and was sure that I liked it. I wanted to smell lime blossoms. The scent of those pale green trees that formed an avenue near which I grew up. I find the fragrance too complex or too incapable of perceiving all the individual components represented. Rather, it is a hint of green force at the beginning, perhaps somewhat scratchy or uncomfortable.
After about 15 minutes the fragrance becomes softer. Finally I hear the smell of my hometown.

The mild sweetness of the lime blossoms brings back memories that have long since passed. It's holidays. We play outside until the night forces us to go home. We're sweaty, dusty but frolicsome. Free, like the swallows who circle over us and whose cries accompany our game.
I smell a slight sweetness, not heavy but cheerful. Only when I look it up do I find out why PC is so familiar to me. The honeysuckle (we say "the longer the better"), whose bright sweetness I perceive here, once greeted me every day, climbed up to my neighbour's fence and exudes this scent that somehow reminds me of jasmine, yet is so much softer and purer.

So he stays with me for countless hours. The scent of summer, of childhood. I'm comfortable with him. Still in the evening it envelops me like the brought back childhood memories...

Summer in a bottle.
7.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

Elegant, Sophisticated, & Gorgeous
Private Collection is a most delicious, enticing, voluptuous, sexy, ELEGANT, and strong (think character) scents that I have ever smelt. It was my signature fragrance in the 1980s, and I have never stopped loving it. I read that it was named Private Collection because it was amongst Estee Lauder's private fragrances--unavailable on the market. I also once read that it was Grace Kelly's favourite perfume, and I can certainly understand why! Good grief it is heavenly! I feel sophisticated, elegant, voluptuous, and simply quite happy any time I wear this mesmerising fragrance. Private Collection is truly a classic. If Estee Lauder ever stopped making it, I would proclaim it a crime against humanity to have stopped.

Top Notes: Orange Blossom, Linden Blossom, Green Notes, Hyacinth, Lemon, and Bergamot.

Heart Notes: Mignonette, Honeysuckle, Chrysanthemum, Jasmine, Pear, Ylang-Ylang, Rose, and Narcissus.

Base Notes: Coriander, Sandalwood, Amber, Patchouli, Musk, Oak Moss, Heliotrope, and Cedar.

I cannot wear most Estee Lauder scents (they literally make me ill), but Private Collection is definitely the exception! Wearing it to bed tonight and am sure to have very sweet dreams indeed! I cannot imagine how anyone could not be immediately and totally seduced by this fragrance!!

Fragrance: 10/10
Projection: 10/10
Sillage: 10/10
Longevity: 8/10
7.5 7.5 10.0/10

Historical Perfumery Landmark
When I write a list of my top 10 fragrances (a daunting task best left for sometime in the future :o/), Private Collection will undoubtedly be on it more than likely somewhere close to the top. This is not because it is earth-shattering or so different that it brings on that "OH MY GOD ... I have to have a bottle NOW" feeling ... simply just because it is so constant!

I've been around this fragrance for a long, long time! It has been my Mother's signature since the late 70's, and harks back to a time in perfumery when wearing something like this was a status symbol, because even at that time it was considered 'expensive'. I remember being very frustrated that I would have to save my pocket money for at least two years to afford a bottle of this as a gift! As luck would have it, I had a job with Lauder for a short while when I left school and was able to give my Mom a bottle of extrait for Christmas that year! She still has it :) ... along with all the others I have given her since.
When Lauder reformulates, they generally do so in a sympathetic way that retains the original spirit of the fragrance. Private Collection has lost its 'monster sillage and longevity' but retains all of its fabulosity! A superb green floral leaning heavily in the Chypre direction, this fragrance carries all of the hallmarks of what Mrs. Lauder tried to create ... a little piece of luxury for everybody! The deft handling of the Oakmoss, Patchouli and Cedar in the base is a masterstroke of blending. I have taken to wearing this of late as it is completely unisex in the way that many floral chypre's tend to be 35 odd years on.

I yearn for the days of fragrances such as these, when just a drop of extrait carried half a block away. A few spritzes of Private Collection remind me why I am a fragrance fanatic in the first place!!

jtd
Thanks for sharing, Mrs. Lauder.
This fragrance is beautifully balanced. Green florals, grass, woods, powder, moss. It’s funny the way we rewrite gender over time. I’m sure this was prissily feminine at the time it was released, but if a niche house released this today as a masculine and used all the synonyms for fresh (too down-market to use the word itself) to describe it, this would sell like mad. I can hear it. “A new type of masculine scent. Tonic and Brisk, with just enough Sass and Daring to be powdery.”

I shouldn’t make fun. This really is a brilliant masculine. Feminine, too, for that matter. I love green chypres and usually lean toward the leather variety. This one has not a trace of leather, and in fact is pretty light on moss to my nose. What appeals to me is the balance of its ingredients that overall gives an impression of flowers, leaves, and mostly, grass. This is what the lawns in utopia smell like. Just plan ahead; this stuff is powerfully strong and lasts days.

Awesomeness
A sweeter, wetter, more floral Alliage
Private Collection by Estée Lauder

I am testing EL's Private Collection side-by-side with EL's Alliage. Private Collection seems to me to be a sweeter, wetter, more floral Alliage. PC is quite likable and very wearable. However, for me, the white florals & spring flowers make Private Collection a little too common, too girly to join my collection. Pretty nonetheless, albeit a bit "mature." (Slap me with a wet noodle - I can't believe I just said that.)
10.0 7.5 10.0 10.0/10

Noble refinement
Refinement, because the components appear newly again and again. The head note is with sparkle refreshing and cool. Green notes follow.
I sink in a Jasminbouquet which doesn't seem too sweet or oppressive at all.
The heart note doesn't want to let itself be seen with me; I skip her because the Sandalwood and Patchouli want to push to the front.

I am like Hermessenz. With some delay the coriander is heralded; there are still the sharp notes and the jasmine suddenly then appears again . . . . . . . . . . . .

Pure refinement and I follow Andi 'the smell gets more and more beautiful for duration'!
7.5 5.0/10

A scent that should remain private
I wanted to try this scent because I liked the sound of the notes and thought that perhaps it would be a little similar to my all-time favourite Burberry Weekend.

Well, similar it is not. This fragrance goes on very strong, it almost knocked me out. It has a very distinctive, mature and old-fashioned type scent.

It was very difficult for me to sniff my wrist to get a proper description for reviewing this scent because the fragrance was so heavy and overpowering. I can sense the greeness in this fragrance, however, like Chanel No.19, all I could smell was wet grass.

From a distance I didn't mind the scent. It was a rather intense, powdery and likable blend of floral notes. However, up close it smelt like rotten vegetables, dangerous chemicals and spicy herbs.

This fragrance is certainly not my cup of tea, however I am reviewing this fragrance from a younger perspective. Perhaps when I am older I will appreciate this scent more, but I doubt I will ever be adding this to my collection.

I have concluded that this is either a love it or hate it type of scent. To me this fragrance is far too potent and unpleasant for my liking.

EDIT:
I am re-visiting this fragrance nearly two years on, and I must say my opinions and tastes have differed. While I don't love Private Collection just yet, it is surprisingly soapier than when I last tested it. That rotten smell has vanished and what is left is a rather mature and clean floral green.

ChapeauClack 4 years ago

by Eloise
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular Estēe Lauder

Youth-Dew (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Pleasures (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Sensuous Noir by Estēe Lauder Amber Mystique by Estēe Lauder Sensuous (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder White Linen (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Private Collection (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Knowing (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Cinnabar (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Sensuous Nude by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Modern Muse (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Azurēe by Estēe Lauder Beautiful (Eau de Toilette) by Estēe Lauder Beyond Paradíse by Estēe Lauder Wood Mystique by Estēe Lauder Bronze Goddess 2008 by Estēe Lauder Spellbound (1991) (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estēe Lauder