Spellbound 1991 Eau de Parfum

Version from 1991
Spellbound (1991) (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand (below)
Spellbound (1991) (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Estēe Lauder for women and was released in 1991. The scent is spicy-floral. Projection and longevity are above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Sophia Grojsman

TuberoseTuberose
Ylang-ylangYlang-ylang
HeliotropeHeliotrope
JasmineJasmine
Lily of the valleyLily of the valley
Base Notes Base NotesCedarCedar
AmbergrisAmbergris
MuskMusk
VanillaVanilla
OpoponaxOpoponax
CivetCivet
BenzoinBenzoin

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 29.11.2021.

he looks familiar...
Yesterday a bottling plant reached me Spellbound. But then, after a few minutes........................................... And where do I know the smell from? About half an hour later the smell developed wonderfully, the tube was moved to the "must stay" category.
But I not only liked the scent exceptionally well, but it also seemed so damn familiar to me.
A comparison with Poison (whom I love!) had to be made The Spellbound is not a fragrance twin from Poison, but in my opinion so similar that it could be a sister.
Very very nice - thank you dear fog woman for the bottling :)

Trashed by Turin
I'm a little contrarian by nature, so a vitriolic review is guaranteed to grab my interest rather than turn me away. Moreover, I've discovered that perfumes which appeal to a broad spectrum of people are sometimes bland and uninspiring to my rebellious nose, whereas a good "stinker" is bound to possess some distinctive quality in order to have inspired so much venom. However, in the case of Spellbound I think there is something more afoot than mere differences in taste.

As Sherapop touched on in her review, Spellbound is so gluttonously rich in the resin department that it lends itself much more to judicious dabbing than spraying. In addition, there may be a variation in formula between the EDP sold in spray form and the perfume available only in non-spray flacons. The topaz-colored mini that was generously gifted to me contains a bang-on, startlingly realistic carnation note that makes me suspect that it was manufactured before the draconian IFRA regs all but did away with eugenol and iso-eugenol. While I understand that many people dislike carnation in fragrance because they find it medicinal or they associate that clove smell with a trip to the dentist, I look at it as an effective way of balancing all the gooey resins and heady white florals in Spellbound with a little piquancy. The cardomom is also a nice addition for the same reason.

The top notes out of my mini are either different from the EDP formula or partially deteriorated, because all I detect is a mellow, liqueur-like peach note absent the lemon and other notes listed. All in all a fairly quiet opening, followed by the carnation blooming atop the white flowers. Most prominent among these is a creamy tuberose that is so restrained that I have to wonder how Turin could find this perfume "frightening to horses" while praising my beloved but bombastic Fracas. Aside from the aforementioned resins, the base notes feature a good sandalwood and a smidge of vanilla that would seem pathetically weak by today's sugary standards, but is enough to satisfy my underdeveloped sweet tooth. Sillage was surprisingly modest, although the longevity seems quite good.

If you haven't tested Spellbound and aren't averse to a dose of clove/carnation, do make sure to seek out the perfume in the dabber flacon instead of the EDP. You might find yourself pleasantly surprised, as this fragrance is beautiful and well-behaved as long as it isn't sprayed.

jtd
A question of esthetics, I suppose.
Good god. I just tried this in a department store. I’d never smelled it before. It smells like the active ingredients of a chemical, medicinal balm that hasn’t yet been dosed with masking fragrance in order to be sold commercially. And, quite unfortunately for anyone nearby, linear. Sophia Grojsman?!

A little too complex for my liking
Spellbound has managed to transcend past the boundaries of being too much. I never thought I'd see the day when I'd call something too floral or too complex, however that day has come.

It's not repulsive, but it's not something that I can smell for more than a few seconds without feeling a headache coming on.

Some love this fragrance for its spicy and powdery carnation note, however I much prefer Billet Doux by Fragonard for my spicy carnation fix.

In a way I find this fragrance far too aggressive, particularly with the sweetness which smells like golden syrup smoothering a bunch of loud flowers. Don't get me wrong, I love big, bold scents. Classics like Must de Cartier, Arpege, Youth-Dew and Miss Dior are right up my alley. However, I get the opinion that Spellbound is trying too hard to be a big, bold floral scent, reminiscent of the florals from the 80's.

I have tried for the last few hours to find something about this fragrance that I like, but I am failing miserably. Perhaps I could say that the lasting power is impressive, and the sillage quite powerful.

If I had to pin-point exactly what it is that turns me off this fragrance, I'd probably blame the peach and apricot notes. It's the same nauseating, syrupy peachiness that I experienced in another powerhouse, Tresor by Lancome.

Regardless of my dislike for this fragrance, I have seen many buying this fragrance over Estee Lauder counters in recent years. I don't dispute that there are lovers of Spellbound out there. I just hope that they wear this fragrance sparingly.

Resin Heaven or Resin Hell? That is the Question.
Resin heaven or resin hell? That is the most pressing question posed to the perfumista mind by Estee Lauder SPELLBOUND, which abounds in opoponax and benzoin, making this elixir a perfume at any concentration!

In order to stand a chance of being appreciated rather than abhorred, SPELLBOUND must be applied one drop at a time, for the line demarcating resin heaven from resin hell is a thin one indeed, very easy to cross, and it is impossible to turn back without a long hot bath.

A true litmus test for resin tolerance--and appreciation!--SPELLBOUND is bound to capture your attention with its deep dark spiciness infused in thick, viscous, lusciousness! So spicy and strong that my perfume mini will suffice for the rest of my life. To my nose, the civet does not even begin to compete in this composition with the cardamom, allspice, and heavy florals...

Only for winter wear--and only now and then...
2.5

I'm not Spellbounded
Ok i'm no Roger Ebert or Gene Shalit
Because they Review Movies and their
professionals this is a copycat Fragrance to Estee's Cinnabar and Paloma Picasso's Tentation in my opinion
maybe except Tentations has more of a
gardeniac syrupy cinnamon like melody
but neverless copying off each other.

it starts off the same a predictable
Burning Cinnamon fire with a Cliche of
woods and Spice leftovers.
the most this will make you feel like a Jaded reviewer in the whold wide world.
it has no Originalty to it. *Yawns*

by Somebody
by Arlufkin
by Arlufkin

Popular Estēe Lauder

Private Collection (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Azurēe by Estēe Lauder Youth-Dew (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Amber Mystique by Estēe Lauder Cinnabar (1978) (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Beautiful (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Lauder for Men (Cologne) by Estēe Lauder Knowing (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Aliage (1972) / Alliage by Estēe Lauder Azurēe (2015) by Estēe Lauder Bronze Goddess Azur by Estēe Lauder Youth-Dew (Perfume) by Estēe Lauder Sensuous Noir by Estēe Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estēe Lauder Estēe (1968) (Super Cologne) by Estēe Lauder White Linen (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Bronze Goddess 2008 by Estēe Lauder White Linen (Parfum) by Estēe Lauder