White Linen 1978Eau de Parfum

White Linen (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand
White Linen (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Estēe Lauder for women and was released in 1978. The scent is floral-fresh. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBulgarian rose, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrris root, Violet, Carnation
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Moss, Vetiver

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 11.09.2020.

White Linen was launched together with Celadon and Pavilion in a collection called New Romantics. The three fragranced were marketed as being able to deliberaty combine with each other. Insofar, Estée Lauder can be regardes as a pioneer of the layering concept.

FvSpee
CoViD comments, eleventh piece: red roses on white linen
Thanks for turning on the curfew entertainment program again, and for the many nice and witty replicas of the first season's contributions. I rarely managed to answer personally, please forgive me, but I was happy and amused anyway.

Actually, after weeks of preparation, today should have been my first day home office. But our bureaucracy is so ingenious that it manages to have the necessary permits on the one hand and the laptops on the other hand, probably on the very day when the epidemic is over. Or on the day when all employees have to go to the isolation ward anyway and can't work at home or in the office. In any case, I have to (or am allowed to) drive to work again tomorrow. Therefore I bought a couple of masks made of thick cotton fabric for myself (except that the first ones tested positive at Mrs. von Spee's place of work). The seamstress of my favourite colleague has switched to mask production for small needs, eight euros a piece, with noseband and everything else and washable. I'm impressed by the quality of the workmanship, it's a business card, I'm going to have my clothes changed there in the future. And if Berlin should copy it now like Jena and doesn't let anybody without a mask outside the door, we are prepared in any case.

With White Linen I had naturally expected a fresh underwear scent. Many of the scents from the "clean bear genre" are named after white textiles. There are several with the name "White Cotton" for example. I don't know all the clean bear scents, but the three most distinctive ones I tested and remember are "Blanche" (White) by Byredo, "Linge Blanc" (White bedding or linen) by Lothanique and "Chemise Blanche" (White shirt) by LM. These three are really all similar, with decidedly fresh ingredients in the top note (citrus, or pepper, or freesia, sometimes with aldehydes), then clean flowers in the heart note (preferably rose, lily of the valley or violet) and a base with a good proportion of white musk. Therefore the three fragrances are similar in their overall impression. I like all three of them in their own way, whereby the order B - LB - CB is also the direction from "soft, rosy and warm" to "cool, fresh and firm". Byredo's "Blanche" is already a rather heavy floral and musky softwummer, which is not easy to wear for men. "Chemise Blanche" by LM is a perfectly ironed, maybe starched, white shirt and therefore completely unisex. I finally bought it after two years of sneaking around with drums.

Here now I had expected a fragrance that is even cooler and firmer than the Mazzone, because of the name "white linen": linen is rather hard and firm and has a cooling effect in summer. But I got (as a sample) a fragrance that is even (much) more feminine than Byredo, which is why, despite its iconic beauty, the name only gets 6 points for misleading consumers. Deceptive packaging, so to speak. But that doesn't detract from the beauty of the fragrance (for those who like that, which will mostly be ladies), because it is very beautiful. No question. And it is also declared as a women's fragrance, so I can't really complain about that
The fresh, cool, sparkling top note is completely skipped here. There is no citric or peppery note, it begins immediately with the rose. I tested the fragrance without looking at the pyramid and my first impression was: Rose, Rose, Rose, Rose. And lily of the valley. A bold, strong, sweet, dewy rose. And lily of the valley. Not sticky-sweet, the rose, no, already somehow upbeat and strong, but still very surprisingly dense-floral-rose right at the beginning. Jasmine I do not feel. Did I mention that lilies of the valley also play a part?
When this first floral firework has subsided a bit, I notice incredibly strong soapy notes, wherever they come from. I like soapy scents a lot, and I like that here too, but it's very feminine again. I say, a mixture of the good old curd soap (which reminds me of my grandma, which is meant positively) and a round women's perfume soap wrapped in a very playful tissue paper with floral ornaments (which actually reminds me of my grandma as well).

As it progresses, it swings back and forth between really heavy seas of flowers and a soft, creamy creaminess, into which traces of slightly dirty (not so white as a flower, see Pluto's commentary, which is just as great as Rosaviola's) animal notes are mixed. And it waves and waves and waves and waves. For the durability is, with at least considerable sillage, monstrous for a clean fragrance, if it is one at all. I put two sprayers on the forearm and after nine hours and one wash it was still waving. So here the claim "eau de parfum" is to be taken seriously, if not understated. Dose sparingly!

The name of the perfumer aroused my interest. Sophia Grojsman. Grojsman (or Hroismann etc.) is a typical name for Eastern European Jews; most of the bearers of this name were murdered in the Holocaust. The Ukrainian Prime Minister of the years 2016 to 2019, also of Jewish origin, was also called Grojsman. According to my research, Sophia Grosjman was born in March 1945 (!) in the "Bloodlands" (Timothy Snyder) of Eastern Europe, in the now Belarusian Lubcha of all places, which was the scene of the worst crimes against humanity during the war. She came with her family to Poland, where she studied chemistry and from where she later emigrated to the USA. There she became a star of the perfume scene, with countless awards, high professional positions in large fragrance companies and honorary posts to this day. From the list of her fragrances, however, there are only a few that tell me anything, including the famous "Eternity" by Calvin Klein. She is said to have always had a special love for rose scents and to have mastered their use in perfumes (I can confirm this with "White Linen"); and this love for roses is said to go back to her earliest childhood. What kind of childhood it was, and what memories of her parents little Sophia had to witness and relive, can only be guessed at in the dark. And it reminds us that human malice is far more murderous than the most dangerous virus.
Nice comments,
in itself, everything is said.
What I always find strange: the Scent Twins.
It never really fits, does it?
That's almost absurd at times.
For White Linen, I remember L'air du Temps That's pretty close.
At least for me.
The white linen-The clean scent no.1
I'm just spraying the last splashes of my 2010 White Linen bottle, and I've long appreciated and loved this fragrance If all the sweet smells in my environment are too much for me again or I don't know what to wear I like to use Estee Lauders White Linen There is something clean, pure, secure and reassuring about him, and yet he is not entirely innocent.
White Linens character is for me less flowery, at most dried flowery, but shows on me a very soapy, dry, but not dusty, very discreet flowery and restrained also spicy scent character.
Predominantly I hear the base of much, much vetiver and soft moss. Some amber provides a soft warmth. Everything else is softly lined up. The floral notes like the rose are only delicately hinted at. The same goes for jasmine and lily of the valley. Iris root and clove blossom are most likely to assert themselves next to the dry base and fit in perfectly. The perfect soap scent.
I find the Sillage very good and it also lasts very long. I find him to be the mother of all clean scents White Linen reminds me very much of the scent of curd soap, more precisely of deer turpentine soap. Curd soap is a very hard "soapy" soap, dry, without glycerine and fats, the pure soap and very versatile. You can use it for washing clothes, for cleaning but also for body care of oily skin. And I love its fragrance, just like White Linen. Thank God I still have a Vintage EdP and also the Extrait at home. White Linen is a timeless classic. This fragrance should never be missing in my collection, I just love it!

Jazzy76
Clean linen lying in the sun
If I had written this rewiew only a few years ago, I 'd said that this perfume isn't my cup of tea.
But time goes by and maybe something changes ....
I've just smelled at the drugstore this fragrance and I found it delicious, clean and very classy. The name is right because what I imagined are perfumed and clean linen lying on the sun .
The opening flowery bouquet made of Jasmine, rose and lily of the valley is soft and only suggested, but very pleasant and feminine. Very noticeable is the orris root heart note, while the moss and the green touch of the vetyver at the base are only a background. it's a very ethereal composition perfect by day and wearable as a White shirt, mainly in the hot season or at the office, when you have to smell good without leaving a too strong trace of perfume. The sillage is light, but the longevity good.
So, if once i didn't like it at all, now I adore it , with its flowery- fresh-powdery acchord so fresh, clean and soft.
The price is quite high, but it's a classic and (in my opinion) a must have in your perfume wardrobe.
A new love is born!

Snow White, Red Blood
Chanel Nº 5 has many ilustrious heirs, mainly, across the ocean. Among those, White Linen helds a honored place.

In spite its cold, brooding, abstract forefather, White Linen is pure romanticism, although in its simpler, less complicated way. It evokes images of inmaculate, freshly washed skin (it is said that one of the inspirations that Coco Chanel took from her famous Nº 5, was the perfect skin of the famous French courtisan Mimi D'Alençon), of Nivea Creme (the familiar accord of lemon, lily of the valley, rose and jasmin, also rebooted in Lorenzo Villoresi's Teint de Neige), clean sheets drying hanging at the sun, white dresses and expensive soap. I can easily imagine a Victorian, or Edwardian beauty wearing it. But, although romantic in spirit, this pale beauty of perfect manners hides a rebelious spirit. It could have easily been the perfume of Lucy Seward in the 1979 film version of Dracula. This is a passional woman, although polite and inteligent. Blood under the snow. Rosy warmth under the white coldness

The rose-lily-violet combo makes it very old-style, but the crisp aldehydes gives it a modern twist. One of the best perfumes of the last 40 years. One of the best rose-violet fragances in the market.

I only could wish that the sillage and lasting power were a bit stronger, and that the perfume version was still available.

Bright White Soap, Parfum is better than EDP
Every now and then I get in an "old lady" floral aldehyde mood. It happened today while cleaning up a room which had succumbed to the forces of entropy over the last couple of years. As usual, when I finally decided to roll up my sleeves and engage in arrant domesticity, I was rewarded by the discovery of lost perfumes. Today's discovery was a mini of Chanel no 5 eau de parfum and Chanel Allure Homme "All over Refreshing Tonic". I donned the former and will be testing the latter in the not-too-distant future, as a part of my "Give Men's Fragrances a Chance" campaign, inspired by bloggers Bryan Ross at From Pyrgos and Christos at Memory of Scent.

So, the day began in Chanel no 5 edp, which had the usual effect upon me, not of the olfactory ecstasy apparently experienced by so many in an encounter with this juice, but of causing me to reflect upon why we value what we value in the realm of perfume. Floral aldehydes are smelling more and more dated to me as I test more and more sweet patchouli and fine niche perfumes. On some days, they simply smell wrong, and nearly every day when I've ever tried to find the magic in Chanel no 5 has been one of those days. Today was no exception to the rule. At one point, I even felt like taking a bath. I cannot imagine that this perfume will continue to survive if the current trends of sweet laundry scents and fruity patchoulis persist much longer. To a person weaned on those sorts of compositions, Chanel no 5 smells worse than dated, it smells pre-historic!

With Chanel no 5 already lingering in my nostrils, I decided to take up my Estée Lauder WHITE LINEN extrait once again. I did experience the ecstatic floral aldehyde moment wearing this perfume a while back. Then, in my infatuated state, I purchased a big bottle of the eau de parfum, which turns out to have quite a bit more oakmoss--or at least so it seems to my nose--and this muddies the clean bright white waters of the composition, making it far less appealing to me.

When I tried the extrait once again, I discovered that I do very much prefer this perfume to Chanel no 5, but oddly enough it has always smelled to me more like white Dial antibacterial soap than anything else. Clean, clean, clean, incandescent light. WHITE LINEN parfum is to me what could perhaps be most aptly described as the ultimate abstract aldehyde!

Dazzling White
I enjoy White Linen for the fact that it is cheapness done well. Conceptually so downmarket (soap) yet executed so brashly (1 part aldehyde, 1 part laundry detergent musk, one part whatever your notion of a bar of “floral” soap is.) This is the olfactory equivalent of holding a large tuning fork to your skull, but for hours. I can imagine for many women this might just seem simple, oldish in style and unsubtle, but on a man, it’s a great alternative (sparkly) to so many current men’s fragrances (fresh.) The camp of wearing a squeaky clean girly fragrance is added enticement.

But I have one particular use for White Linen. I’m an RN and work in a hospital. Search the blogs and you’ll find plenty of discussions about inflicting fragrance on those around you, the hospital being the ultimate battleground for this argument. I have a few scents that I wear to work, each with a different strategy as to why it works. White Linen is easily my favorite, since it’s akin to being in drag in scrubs. On a man I think this simply reads as so-clean-you-still-have-soap-on-you clean. The only comments I’ve gotten from my patient are, literally, “You smell so clean!” I imagine if were a woman wearing this she might be accused of wearing too much or too strong a fragrance. It’s fun screwing with gender assumptions in general. With perfume, it’s a delight.

The scent of freshly washed linen
If you've ever wanted to know what sharp aldehydes smell like, give White Linen a try.

This fragrance is an aldehyde overload, so much to the point that it smells like a white, sparkling bathroom. There's huge doses of powder, soap, laundry and flowers in White Linen. The clean qualities are so bold that it's sometimes difficult to point out any individual notes.

While I do love aldehydes, I prefer them in smaller doses. White Linen is a scent I like my sheets to smell of, but perhaps not my own skin.

This fragrance is also typical of those 80's fragrances, being a monster in terms of sillage and reliable in terms of longevity.

I'm only 20, so strong perfumes such as this one make me feel too old before my time. Not saying that this is a so-called 'old lady scent', but it does have more mature connotations. Along with that thought, personally I find this fragrance far too chemical, powdery and sharp for my liking.

Hanging in the Breeze
When I tried White Linen on a test strip It was love at
first sight W.L was the first Fragrance In my opinion
to recreate freshly dried linen that just came out of
the drier or cloths drying in the Wind under a clear
blue summer sky on a clothes line and when i received
a sample bottle of White Linen i was ecstatic and sprayed on my skin Then it turned sour on my skin
and i was a bit puzzled is this a bad sample because
sometimes perfumes do go bad due to age or
manufacturing or it's my skin chemistry some scents
don't work on some scents and maybe this is not one
of them I don't want to pinpoint that White Linen is
a mere disappointment which is not or a average run
off the mill Fragrance i really think it's the harsh
aldehyde with the mixture of Lemon and Honey
Aldehydes have to be carefully blended to make sure
not get a plastic and cloying smell but nether-less
a unique Treasure.

KatjaCakeKatjaCake 15 months ago
Parfaitement frais!
LauraBellaLauraBella 3 years ago
Choking on Talc. Asthma attack in a bottle. I feel trapped in a cloud of toxic old lady powder. Clean, but suffocating. (Moms loves it.)

It is the moon back there!
by Dimitrakoun
by Blödel
by Blödel
by Cincy
Ein weißer Zwerg im bunten Wald ...
by MadameLegras
Estēe Lauder - White Linen (1978)
by Morpheus1
by Ginger
Estēe Lauder - White Linen (1978)
by Morpheus1
by Parfuniverse
by Sunnyiland
by Sunnyiland

Popular Estēe Lauder

Private Collection (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Azurēe by Estēe Lauder Amber Mystique by Estēe Lauder Youth-Dew (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Cinnabar (1978) (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Knowing (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Lauder for Men (Cologne) by Estēe Lauder Aliage (1972) / Alliage by Estēe Lauder Sensuous Noir by Estēe Lauder Beautiful (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estēe Lauder Estēe (1968) (Super Cologne) by Estēe Lauder Azurēe (2015) by Estēe Lauder Sensuous (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Bronze Goddess 2008 by Estēe Lauder Wood Mystique by Estēe Lauder Azurēe Soleil by Estēe Lauder Modern Muse Nuit by Estēe Lauder