Wood Mystique 2011

Wood Mystique by Estēe Lauder
Wood Mystique is a perfume by Estēe Lauder for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is woody-floral. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesRoseRose
PeonyPeony
Pink pepperPink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris tingitanaIris tingitana
May rose absoluteMay rose absolute
RoseRose
Provençal mimosa absoluteProvençal mimosa absolute
Egyptian jasmine absoluteEgyptian jasmine absolute
Ylang-ylangYlang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesSumatra benzoinSumatra benzoin
RaspberryRaspberry
LeatherLeather
OudOud
PatchouliPatchouli
CedarwoodCedarwood

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 29.07.2021.

2020Antiope
An adventurous faun's walk in the woods after a sleepy afternoon
I listen to Claude Debussy's Prélude à l'après-midi d'un Faune in a wonderfully relaxed way and the wonderfully scented wooden scents of Wood Mystique conquer my nose in the same harmony. All pensive reveries of gentle unicorns, beautiful fairies and righteous forest warriors take shape and I sink into the world of fairy tales...

Smiling softly, I am immediately captured for this beautiful fragrance that brings to life all the mysterious tales of fabulous forest dwellers and even when I smirk my imagination and childhood memories of the fairy tale books about it again, the gently wafting and flattering veils of the ingeniously mildly intense fragrance remain long and comforting around me.

I am surrounded by rosewoods, which, to escape the romance, have been peppered with a few peppercorns. Like the little fountain of a fountain, this brings in the vibrancy and light freshness that makes the perfume not a rose perfume, although the beautiful flowers are charming with their presence here as well. But this presence is inherent in all the enclosed flowers, not only the roses; iris and jasmine know equally gorgeous to ensnare!
Balsamic notes, leather joined, and their intensity make me place the fragrance first in the direction of Rosenoud; but not for long. It is the patchouly that has charmingly come to the fore without being brash or dominant. This fine dosed Patchouly embrace is what gives Wood Mystique its charisma; makes it immensely appealing to all fantasy fans (it's an American perfume!) and invites you to sink into imaginary worlds..

There I see our faun; he dances exuberantly in the fairy circle, is warmly welcomed and embraced. Afterwards, he curiously accompanies a couple of local forest spirits, who in their ambivalent nature have not yet decided whether they only want to lure our adventurous faun down a winding path, or whether they want to take him away forever into a deeply submerged world...

I will follow him, our faun; lest he get lost in the Dark Forest.
This will not be easy for me, for I too feel temptations to which I am not averse.... I too have an irrepressible curiosity for all things hidden...!
But together and with the help of the charming Patchouly Djinn, who is a guest from the Orient and has given himself to me winking as such to recognize, we will escape the mystical realms again; but not so soon, there is still so much to discover and see!

But then, and with regret, we will steal away again from a world that is not ours, but too tempting to stay away from for long. With Wood Mystique I have a key in my hand that will open the hidden door to this world again, and perhaps then I will meet our irrepressible and mischievous faun again, who knows...?

Lauder's Oud
Wood Mystique is definitely a release that harks back to Lauder's glory days. I have a long association with this company and their fragrances (even having worked for them briefly in my youth) and imho their fragrant efforts of the last 10 years or so have been lackluster and boring.

I have two bugbears about this fragrance ... the first is the damn Pink Pepper in the top (thankfully short-lived and to my nose not a necessary addition) and secondly the obtuse addition of Raspberry. Who needs the fruit? Certainly not I!
Other than that, this is a very nice attempt by Lauder to use the 'note du jour' of Oud. In typical fashion, there's also a healthy dose of Patchouli here but along with the Rose, Ylang and Leather (which are the most prominent notes to my nose) Wood Mystique becomes a viable player in the 'Mid East-esque' panoply of new (ish) fragrances. Truthfully, it's very Lauder but with a fabulous twist. I like it a lot!!
According to some sources, it's specifically aimed at the Middle East marketplace and as such is not available elsewhere (indeed I bought my bottle in Dubai), but very recently I noticed that it is available at the counters here in SA. I have a few friends who work for the company and have been told by them that they absolutely insisted on being able to have the chance to sell it.
They do some strange things (at least to my mind) at EL ... as the new Aramis release called Perfume Calligraphy is simply Wood Mystique in a different bottle ... very weird! The saving grace is that it feels as if the Pink Pepper and Raspberry have been eliminated in PC ... a good thing!! Both frags are marketed as unisex but I guess the execs over there realized their marketing blunder because the Aramis version is available everywhere ... go figure!

Wood Mystique and it's twin Perfume Calligraphy are both possessed of great sillage and longevity and I find them to be the most exiting pair of fragrances by this company in a long time. I agree that the price of them is steep, but at least it feels as if one is getting what one has paid for here ... not something that will have to be re-applied every 3 hours.

Awesomeness
Quite good but is it worth the price of admission?
Wood Mystique is a limited EL release and EL's first unisex fragrance. Wow, makes me want to try it! How about you?

If Guerlain has a guerlinade, then EL has it's own accord too - because that is exactly what I sense on first sniff - Estee Lauder. It's definitely got a EL vibe to it, and it smells A LOT like Sensuous. Yet, it also smells a lot like Givenchy Hot Couture No 1 (original) due to the persistent berry note in the drydown. The fragrance is very long-lasting - in the 12 hour range on me. It's just on the femme side of unisex.

I like Wood Mystique ... alot. And I am very happy to have a small decant of it. However, since I own both Sensuous & Hot Couture -- and get plenty of wear out of them -- I'm in no rush to spend over $200 on 100ml of a "smells like" fragrance. And other reviewers are reporting that Wood Mystique "smells like" other EL fragrances too.

Will it come to the States? We'll see. Maybe then every one can have a sniffy at the EL counter. Until then, know that it's good, very very good, but you're probably better off spending 200 bux on somethin' else. ;)

AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
Soft, floral, fruity and pleasant. It's one of the few "ouds" that is more feminine than unisex. More rose and less raspberry if you please.

by Blödel
Der Falkon wurde von mir in den Baum gestellt. Diese Wirkung hat sich dabei von selbst ergeben,... in der Tat ohne jegliche Bildbearbeitung.
by TomLavender
by TomLavender
by NiFu93
by NiFu93

Popular Estēe Lauder

Private Collection (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Azurēe by Estēe Lauder Youth-Dew (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Amber Mystique by Estēe Lauder Cinnabar (1978) (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Beautiful (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Lauder for Men (Cologne) by Estēe Lauder Knowing (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Aliage (1972) / Alliage by Estēe Lauder Azurēe (2015) by Estēe Lauder Sensuous Noir by Estēe Lauder Youth-Dew (Perfume) by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estēe Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estēe Lauder Estēe (1968) (Super Cologne) by Estēe Lauder White Linen (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Azurēe Soleil by Estēe Lauder Bronze Goddess 2008 by Estēe Lauder Sensuous (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder