Eau de Protection / Rossy de Palma

(2007)
Eau de Protection / Rossy de Palma by Etat Libre d'Orange
Where to buy?
Eau de Protection / Rossy de Palma (Etat Libre d'Orange)
Eau de Protection / Rossy de Palma is a perfume by Etat Libre d'Orange for women and was released in 2007. The scent is flowery-spicy. It is still in production.

Ginger, Madagascan black pepper, Bergamot, Bulgarian rose, Blood accord, Jasmine, Benzoin, Patchouli, Frankincense, Cocoa

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 19.12.2016

Bottle 2.5/10
Sillage 5.0/10
Longevity 5.0/10
Scent 1.0/10
2 Awards
Metallic Pineapple Chunks
The opening of Rossy de Palma smells to me strongly metallic and primarily of some very fruity, unsweetened, tinned pineapple chunks.

As the fruity pineapple dies down I get a green, slightly floral, stale vase water that smells similar to raw indole (although raw indole has more a moth ball smell) that is a little disgusting.

The metallic note is too much for me and makes this perfume feel cold and sterile, a little watery; I find the rose too abtract and synthetic to call a rose and overall find this perfume far too removed from nature to enjoy.
Bottle 7.5/10
Longevity 5.0/10
Scent 10.0/10
Helpful Review    3 Awards
Dreams Delayed
Years ago on a extremely freezing night, in a smoke-filled room by the fire, I inhaled this scent from my arm and swooned. You know what they mean when they say "swooned"? It is when you sigh with extreme pleasure and close your eyes, imagining there is nothing more worthy of your love than this moment. Artists know the value of a swoon. Sometimes you see a movie or a beautiful face that makes you feel that way. A delicious dessert can do it. Most often, our sense of smell allows us to travel into swoon-worthy territory, but a perfume must be really special for such as reaction.

Rossy de Palma is such as scent for me. I am a rose lover through and through, and you have to be to appreciate this concoction. The rose is the star, red and dripping. The supporting spices are ginger and something else I cannot place. The blood accord is just a supporting player to the red red rose. And the drydown is smooth and creamy with benzoin and patch.

I have many rose loves and they tend to be similar in character. Rose Flash, Calligraphy Rose, Vengeance Extreme and others are similar to Rossy. This is a brighter dark rose, not too heavy in the base notes and more about the top and heart. Could not recommend it enough. (The price, which is rare to say, is right as well.)
4 Awards
Old Enough to Know Better, but still Too Young to Care...
Rossy de Palma? After Secretions Magnifiques, you KNOW where my mind went...Rosy Palm! :) I had no idea that Rossy was even a real person. Now, after smelling this scent, I feel quite compelled to look her up...

This begins so very smoothly, enchanting with the brightness of citrus braided with a warm juicy warmth and a subtle spiciness...and the rose peeking playfully: heavenly! This scent is like a sexy vivacious woman who just winked at you...excitement courses through you that SHE might find YOU attractive! More enchanting than real roses RdP's heart "beats" with sensuality and pure sex appeal.

The alternating dryness of the carnation and the thickness of the jasmine define the roses' beauty better than one of Shakespeare's odes ever could. "The Vigin never wanders far from the whore" is quite apropos here; as this is at once soft, but charming and utterly lascivious. Not in a phony way, like young girls painted up as a child trying to look the part of a woman, but a woman who is at once innocent and naughty! A rose by any other name...should smell THIS GOOD! This is the svelte woman desired by all, with a slit up her dress almost to the hip...but she is no tramp. She has a tender loving side and exalts in making love (from the heart).

This dries down earthy, smoky and so delicious. For all her girliness and feminine wiles, she has an earthy almost raw sense of humour, and very amusing but candid way of looking at life. Oriental enough to be seductive, but earthy enough to be herself...Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection is an essay in contrasts. Bold, but never brazen (unless it heightens the passion), yet shy when she needs to be. I am thoroughly and utterly impressed!! This is a feminine scent, no doubt. But, it's drydown is fine for almost anyone. I would not care what anyone thought of me wearing this...it's THAT good!

Sillage: very good
Longevity: great!
Overall: 4.25/5

Not the biggest fan of roses, to begin with, Miss Rossy has me quite in her spell. This enchanting olfactive composition is a true delight, and if you love roses, then this is all YOU. I like them okay and it has me, quite literally, drooling...

To give you an image of what kind of person this perfume would be, I imagine (upon meeting her and talking with her) something very like this:

Gypsy: Ms. Rossy, do you smoke after sex?
Rossy: *puffs cigarette sexily* I don't know, I never looked!
Bottle 10.0/10
Sillage 7.5/10
Longevity 7.5/10
6 Awards
A Gothic, sultry, spicy Spanish Rose!
Etat Libre d'Orange are usually known for making "shocking" or "unconventional" fragrances, they have also made fragrances inspired by "unconventional" celebrities (like British actress Tilda Swinton). Eau de Protection was their first celebrity inspired fragrance. They took inspiration from "unconventional looking" Spanish actress Rossy de Palma.

This is a spicy rose fragrance! Roses are the favourite flower of actress Rossy de Palma (whose name also means "Rose"), and her garden in Madrid is full of roses. I really think in this case Etat Libre d'Orange have created something very beautiful and alluring with this one.

The fragrance opens up with notes of sour bergamot & spicy ginger (with some firey black pepper), but they are quickly overtaken by this beautiful, rich, dark syrupy, almost candied rose... absolutely beautiful. At it's heart this is a Rose-Patchouli combination fragrance, but unlike other similar examples out there, this one feels very "emotional", like the rose is being passionate and sensual. Both Rossy de Palma and Etat Libre d'Orange describe this as a "bleeding" rose, and I do get that. To my nose, the rose is paired with a slightly metallic geranium note... and geranium is so multi-faceted that it can sometimes smell like roses, sometimes like lemons, and sometimes like cloves etc. I think this aspect combined with the rose gives it a lush, full-bodied aroma (and the slight impression of blood, etc).

However, this is an extremely wearable fragrance, either by men or by women, although I find this would really shine on a woman's skin. This is a fantastic fragrance from the house of Etat Libre d'Orange and one that, if you are a rose lover, you should definitely check out! A dangerous, sexy, spicy Spanish rose!
Sillage 10.0/10
Longevity 10.0/10
Scent 8.0/10
Greatly helpful Review    15 Awards
Warning: Patchouli
Not being familiar with Rossy de Palma, the woman who inspired this fragrance, I went Googling to ascertain the nature of her celebrity. It turns out that she is a Spanish actress known for her work in the films of Pedro Almodóvar and (please forgive me, Gentle Reader) not exactly an oil painting. My ignorant opinion of Rossy de Palma aside, ELDO gets a lot of credit in my book for selecting an atypical muse as inspiration material rather than the usual teen idol or Hollywood starlet. For a company that sometimes gets a bad rap for using shock tactics as a marketing tool, Eau de Protection strikes me as a thoughtful, intelligent launch.

The perfume itself was an instant love for me because it has so much in common with my beloved Epic Woman and can be had for less than half the price. Eau de Protection opens in fresh fashion much as a natural rose would with some sparkling bergamot, but rapidly transcends the true flower by incorporating a number of darker notes. Before you know it, the rose is quite poisonous, but all the more alluring for being so. Eau de Protection uses a similar strong peppery note to the one I find so appealing in Epic, but replaces the caraway with ginger, rendering Eau de Protection less pickle-like and a bit more wearable. While Eau de Protection showcases a fairly nice Bulgarian rose, Epic revolves around the headier Damascus variety. Both contain incense and patchouli; the Amouage favoring a gorgeous silver frankincense and the ELDO being heavy on the patchouli, and therein lies the rub with this perfume.

Patchouli is a polarizing note, perhaps because some associate the smell with the '60s counterculture and the tumultuous events that surrounded it. My first wearing of Eau de Protection was at an outdoor event of a fairly conservative nature. In my defense, I wasn't familiar with the note pyramid and stupidly figured that Rose Frag = innocuous. Not! An offended woman who happened to be seated nearby sniffed ostentatiously while glaring at me as if I were The Whore of Babylon. In a nutshell, Eau de Protection has great, big sillage and is not the ticket for fragrance-phobic environments. Longevity is excellent. Many thanks to the rock star from South Africa who turned me on to this beauty, which is absolutely bottle-worthy.
Bottle 10.0/10
Sillage 7.5/10
Longevity 7.5/10
Scent 7.0/10
Very helpful Review    7 Awards
Bright Rose diminuendos as pepper crescendos...
Etat Libre d'Orange ROSSY DE PALMA opens bright red with a huge, beautiful blast of rose, making this a buy-at-the-counter hit for sure. I imagine that the effect is even more spectacular when this perfume is sprayed rather than dabbed on to the skin. Nearly immediately the rose begins to fade away, though it remains detectable throughout the entire wear. At the same time, the spicy components--above all pepper--grow stronger and stronger and stronger, almost to the point of taking over the rose. Eventually, the drydown perfume smells like a close olfactory neighbor of The Different Company ROSE POIVREE and Eau d'Italie PAESTUM ROSE. With two big differences.

First, ROSSY contains a pretty good dose of patchouli, which I believe is not present in either ROSE POIVREE or PAESTUM ROSE (or if it is, it's much ligher!). The second, and equally important difference to my nose is that rather than cumin, the spiciness in this composition is produced primarily through pepper and ginger. Cardamom is listed as a note, but I do not detect it independently. What I smell is a combination of pepper, patchouli, ginger, incense and rose, with a BIG emphasis on the pepper.

If the pepper were cumin, this would be all wrong for me. Instead, I like this so much that despite my sadness at the disappearance of the rose, I'll probably add a bottle of this creation to my collection at some point. Too interesting to pass up, plus I'm a longtime fan of Pedro Almodovar, although I had no idea until yesterday that the unforgettable woman in so many of his films goes by the name of Rossy de Palma!
Scent 8.0/10
Greatly helpful Review    10 Awards
You look so beautiful when you are angry...
A rose is a rose is a rose, as Gertrude Stein said. But not all roses are the same. Formerly called Rossy de Palma- Eau de Protection (now just Eau de Protection) is a rose in a temper, a rose with a warning beauty- clothed on a magnificent armour of thorns, that will defend itself with iron at any advance, but will stay vigilant on its throne, as long as it remains untouched.

Eau de Protection starts harsh, abrasive, yet pleasant. This opening reminded me somehow of SL Vitriol d´Oeillet, although the progression is different. The rose comes wrapped in a more than generous dose of pepper. This spicy rose starts high pitched, and comes with a wonderful metallic note, that, as it has been accuartely pointed out before, reminds to blood. Makes me feel i´m wearing a no-nonsense Queen of Hearts, with a serious expression that you don´t know if it will be followed by a smile, or a yelling death sentence.

After the slightly violent opening, this fragance has a generous heart. The rose now is voluptuous and deeper, and comes supported by full-bodied notes of geranium and patchouli, that keep it deep-rooted, and a little moist indolic touch, all in a seamless accord. Eau de Protection is vigorous and passionate; the texture of its meaty petals is almost chewable, but in any moment i felt overwhelmed, quite the contrary, because the high pitched spices are nicely balanced with bass notes.

The drydown is also wonderful. The rose almost fully metamorphs into earthy dark chocolate and patchouli, a fainty vanillic benzoin and a pale trail of incense.

Despite the unmistakable rose note i didn´t feel like i was wearing a femenine fragance, indeed i was asked by (straight) men what i was wearing (of course they had never heard of Etat Libre D´Orange) IMHO this Rossy de Palma inspired perfume could fall in the shared category and i encourage any man who likes rose and patchouli to wear it. And if someone doesnt like it, off with their heads.
Scent 9.0/10
Very helpful Review    9 Awards
A rose by any other name ...
Mindblowing Rose!!! I have tried more than a few of the Etat Libre d'Orange range of frags and take a filial sort of pride in the fact that the house was started by a fellow South African. I noticed that in a lot of the fragrances, the drydown seemed to be very similar (at least to my nose) and drew my own conclusion that the frags were probably all built on the same base, similar to Guerlain's 'guerlinade', which doesn't really work on my skin. How true this may be I cannot say ... I was simply following my nose - which more often than not leads me totally astray!

Today I tried Rossy de Palma and it was an instant love affair! This rose is intense - rich ,sweet and melancholy with the touch of a sting and a hint of blood as the thorn pierces the skin (undoubtedly the ginger and pepper). She is blousy and overblown, definitely not of the fresh and dewey variety. A rose that has reached her prime, languidly crushed against the sheets from being made love upon, exuding her fragrant swansong. Later, pale incense delicately spirals into the sky, carrying the soul of the rose aloft ...

I don't care that this is supposed to be for the gals ... I'm gonna wear the hell out of it ... and I'm going to abuse the sprayer mercilessly!! This frag is freaking AWESOME!!!