Fat Electrician 2009

Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange
Fat Electrician is a perfume by Etat Libre d'Orange for men and was released in 2009. The scent is spicy-woody. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Myrrh, Chestnut cream, Olive leaf, Opoponax, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by TVC15, last update on 24.09.2020.

Sniffsniff
Play me the song of failure..
If, as I did in a previous life, you once acquired a journeyman's certificate in the carpentry trade, the dubious pleasure of weekly vocational school attendance is not foreign to you. There you meet all kinds of fellow sufferers (the comrades are clearly outnumbered) from the most diverse trades, who crowd into the smoking corners during the much too short breaks and are very careful that carpenter A stays with carpenter B and bricklayer C does not talk too long with roofer D. To ensure that this relic of guild arrogance survives the 21st century unscathed, the ancillary trades (which are of course much inferior compared to their own godlike craft) have been given rather semi-creative nicknames in metronomic regularity. I suspect that (almost) all participants would have been abysmally embarrassed by using similarly questionable humour in areas of life outside of this microcosm. We were the woodworms, there were spatulas, pipe layers and of course cable monkeys. It seemed almost inconceivable that we would later meet daily at different construction sites and have to get along with each other. But there was one thing they had in common, the young men who sat so casually on the planters and flicked their butts onto the pavement. They did not smell good. When I made my way to the cafeteria, I walked through tons of shower-heavy deodorant clouds, whose pseudo-masculine aroma mixed unfavorably with the stench of the half-burning ashtray - in direct comparison, the walk to Canossa must have been a Sunday stroll.
So what does a perfume smell like that which the overweight electricians of this world seem to have been inspired by? The images in my head make me hesitate for a long time to test this perfume. I associate funny beer flags waving in the wind, cold sweat and cigarette breath. Not a good omen. But this name. Good marketing is cash money. And unfortunately, the marketing department with its name hits directly into my black heart. At least for now. The pyramid promises a fragrance that I could really enjoy. Chestnut cream sounds very tempting. With myrrh and vanilla. A little resin and vetiver. Well, I've often perceived vetiver as a note that can trigger a veritable flight reflex, but in combination with the other ingredients it could well have its appeal. A gourmand without a bitchy, sugary attitude.
And the fat electrician keeps his promise. He is a pragmatist and greets me with a full load of vetiver, which fortunately doesn't get too dry and bitter. Shortly afterwards the chestnut cream comes into play, which is really well hit and with its nutty creaminess makes sure that the electrician reveals his soft side. From now on, there is no longer any significant progression, the fragrance alternates between chestnut and vetiver, the other fragrances are discreetly restrained and support the perception of chestnut rather than pushing themselves to the fore. Like a good and attentive apprentice who hands in the cordless screwdriver at the right time and otherwise can just shut up. I perceive the scent clearly on myself for a long time and also the projection is stately - because even with corona distance my girlfriend could smell it clearly. By the way, she spoke of pleasantly bitter creaminess. When the scent becomes very close from the fifth hour on, the vanilla comes into play more clearly and makes the vetiver grass look even softer I only noticed by chance that the scent of ELDO was altered for men. I would have given it the unisex label, but my preference for harsh scents probably doesn't make me a very good reference for other women who fancy getting in touch with the fat electrician.
I like the fragrance very much, because it is exciting, versatile and fits actually in every season, because it is not too heavy to apply despite its intensity.
But maybe I should have left it at that and not listened to the sound message of the fat electrician on the ELDO homepage. For since I have known this proud and oppressive statement of the overweight stranger, he manifests himself in front of my inner eye while wearing the fragrance and reflects with me on failure as a state of mind. What did they put in the coffee for the marketing people at ELDO?

Childhood memories
Fiat electritian makes me think of my childhood. The chestnut smell remembers me to my grand parents and the good momentos lived with them when i went to the village to visit them and se went togerhwe walking and then CAME back home to grill the chestnuts and have them. Because what i get the most here is the chestnut. Around the chestnut there are some balsámic and sweet notes and i can get also the vetiver giving a Green vibe tonthw mixture.

The problem here is the performance. It has only a moderate longevity (4-6hours on skin) and a very soft sillage. It could have been one if my favourite perfumes but this lack of performance is for me a Big problem, more according to the price of the fragance. So i think that FE is a wonderful smell but White is actually for day time use because It is a bit like wearing nothing (not nothing of course but too soft). I Will enjoy a lot my sample but i would never buy a full bottle.

Scent: 9
Originality: 7
Global: 8

Fat Electrician (@Nose.Knows.No.Notes)
• ETAT LIBRE D'ORANGE FAT ELECTRICAN •

Who doesn't want to smell like a fat electrician? I never smelled an Etat Libre d'Orange fragrance before, but they know how to grab attention with their naming.

Fat Electrician is a sweet and creamy vetiver. I was instantly reminded of the Carner Barcelona fragrances I sampled recently. Fat Electrician smells like a mix of Palo Santo and Ambar Del Sur to me. The opening is a bit nutty, because it includes a chestnut accord. In the first hours this is very sweet, maybe a bit too much for my liking. The sweetness has an almost animalic edge, that I never know how to describe, but it comes close to it being salty. That's the closest comparison I can come up with for the opening: a salted caramel ice cream with a crushed nuts topping. There's only a slight bit of green at first, that pushes through in the dry down, where the vetiver is more pronounced. I don't get the olive leaf note per se, but there's a distant green, almost grassy undertone. Combining that with a hint of smokiness, I guess I get why some people make the connection with marijuana in Fat Electrican, but I honestly don't think there's a strong resemblance.

Overall, it's an interesting composition. As with the aforementioned Carner fragrances, I enjoyed it, but there's something in this that keeps me from finding comfort in it. Fat Electrician is also a little too sweet for most occasions. I think I prefer the scent of Palo Santo, but I like this over Ambar Del Sur. The creaminess in the Etat Libre d'Orange elevates it texture wise. I do think that this is one of those fragrances that has the potential to grow on a person after multiple wears, so I'm curious to see how my sentiments develop while I go through my sample •

Please follow my IG @Nose.Knows.No.Notes for more reviews and fragrance photography.
In Denmark women smoke cigars
"In Denmark, women smoke cigars," explained my childhood friend (then). And because Danish women were our role models for some reason I forgot, we tried (in vain) to smoke a cigar. Since that was too disgusting, we tried whistling. And because that wasn't better either, we tried perfumed pipe tobacco. Vanilla pipe tobacco smells totally good (except for the smoker himself). Smoking him is a waste.

On the official website there is again a very nice soundfile in which a medieval man, who claims to be a random user of the perfume, explains that he is the fat electrician. Sounds authentic.

"Fat Electrician" starts very short alcoholic sweet-spicy smoky like Islay Whisky (not like Bourbon Whiskey). Then the good man lights himself a pipe. It doesn't smell so much like smoke, but it does smell like vanilla pipe tobacco. I like Vetiver pretty much anyway. But this vetiver is almost gourmandig. Great.

The shelf life is good, at least 7 hours, maybe more. The projection is mediocre. "Fat Electrician" is also suitable for older women. And of course for men, it was also tested on Tester M. You can always wear "Fat Electrician" (except for sports). The fat electrician himself must wear it when he goes to football games.

I don't know if I dare wear it at work yet. When I wore "Itinerario Olfattivo I" the other day, a colleague asked why it smells "like aftershave" here. And Itinerario Olfattivo I doesn't smell of aftershave at all. My colleagues have very firm ideas about what women are allowed to smell.
Augusto
Fatty Vetiver - please open this electrician's door when he rings!
Spray Fat Electrician on and Vetiver full. Hhmmm, this green, somewhat austere freshness, the wood, this peculiar smell that cannot be compared to any other. And an unusually bright, almost cheerful tone that makes AugustA sit up and take notice, perhaps it's the myrrh.

But this vetiver also begins with a peculiar sweetness. Sweetie, reminiscent of chocolate, of nougat maybe. Well, all right, chestnut cream, olive leaf, opoponx, vanilla, if it's already there. I'm not really a Gormand lover at all, but this top note has a grandiose melodiousness and makes the eyelids flutter a little. Beautifully done, very beautifully, if a Vetiver arrives times over this sweet side. It's clearly a vetiver to spray on, but unlike the classic and the new vetivers, it doesn't come into the nose from the very green or from the grapefruit. Which is beautiful, admittedly, but has a very different character. This one here begins very flattering by the sweetness, is tasty, pleasant and elicits at the same time this liberated breathing, as it is strange for the vetiver, I think, as an effect.

The scent is also somehow not so superficial, on the contrary. But, hello: After five to fifteen minutes the fragrance then suddenly fluctuates quite violently in the classic masculine vetiver compartment that you know where the vetiver hammer hangs, namely: here comes no sweet treat, and I think: a pity! Because that opening chord was so tempting. But now he digs the water from the Encre Noir from my nose-view very sensationally for a short time, then in the intensity also from the Malle Vetiver. In short, without reaching this massiveness.
And then he lies down on my skin. And stays there for a long time, which I very much welcome.

And softening. Still a hint of sweet and nutty. The fragrance oscillates between a vetiver-flavored spread (igitt, bizarre - how delicious...) and the green green sweet grass with its cooling and for me always simply root-himmlischen qualities. The sweet impression disappears, flies by, soon it is forgotten. The woody lush grass comes, rises fragrantly from the ground to the sky and disappears to give room to the nutty nuance again.
For me, that's the ingenious thing about this fragrance - it does it very playfully and yet still smells seriously good. Cloud by cloud, change by change.

He plays around with some unfamiliar nuances, even a little coquettish and tickle creeps in every now and then, but above all and exclusively remains a vetiver scent. No citrus, no flowers. In one moment it's almost a little too dark for me, maybe something for autumn. Then again the austere freshness, the woodiness, which brings a certain moisture and lightness, so that the fragrance appears completely transparent.

Beautiful, no question, and also somehow cheeky for an established and actually very serious (men's) fragrance classic. At the first test strangely not too exciting after the first hours - and the next - and then after 8 hours...and then I went to bed sometime. In the second test, I followed the games more willingly with my nose and now find it very exciting. And, as I said, it smells really long and very good all the time. It's always swaying back and forth between standard vetiver, even if it's modern, and the just so decisive little bit different. Nothing you just put away after trying the first one. I think that's a clear recommendation. For Vetiver fans always.

P.S.: And the name is great anyway. But nobody cares, it's the scent that counts, right? If you do, just have a look at the clip.
P.P.S.: Who of the ladies loves Vetiver - he makes himself very well on woman skin - this electrician please absolutely open the door when he rings...!

Smoke and Mirrors
Any perfume lover sold on the idea of a semi-modern vetiver may be justly discombobulated when putting this on for the first time.

You get a burst of sweet spices and then a steamed suet pudding with an ethereal metallic tang, and chestnut purée. There are some red fruits, and then a strange aromatic, sweet and vaguely herbaceous note comes floating over the top. What appears to be metallic begins to take on a sour vinegary overtone which you suspect is trying to smuggle a homeopathic spirit of vetiver into the profile.

The development stage is very volatile, changing at almost every sniff. What is certain though, this is not a Vetiver perfume in the accepted sense. There may be vetiver in there, but this profile doesn't smell of it; rather, more and more of a pale, nutty-creamy chestnut purée heaped onto suet pudding in a stainless steel dish, with a splash of aromatic vinegar.

Yet ironically, this radical construction is based on a traditional model of Vetiver, ie: vetiver paired with myrrh and spicy notes, but its the character of the changes which Antoine Maisondieu made to this traditional form that make Fat Electrician radical. He has taken The Vetiver and thrust it into the odd gourmand territory of pale chestnut purée and vinegar. This is the innovative angle which, when latched onto the traditional form justifies the weird ELdO moniker semi-modern vetiver.

In every vetiver worth mentioning (and some that are not,) vetiver's name has had to take pride of place on the label - just as a megalomaniac film star's name must come top of the bill, because, as Luca Turin points out, when there's not enough vetiver in the mix the note gets lost, but when there is enough it takes over.

The problem of vetiver's distinctive personality has at last been solved. The challenge has long been how to get enough of it into the mix without letting it dominate and forcing you to call your perfume Vetiver; the name an admission that the perfumer's attempts to bend this recalcitrant yet seductive weed to their will have failed.

In this case a novel and effective way to square the vetiver circle has been found. Instead of the tried and tested anisic route, or the citrus dead end, the lighter aspects of vetiver have been exalted into the head accord by means of a silver olive leaf note - which recalls the aromatic vinegars of pre-modern perfumery. This is a well blended, fairly neutral, comparatively subtle (and its really saying something to describe a penetrating top note as subtle) sweet vinegar-like accord that washes off a trace of vetiver into its volatile fumes.

The blocking material between the buried vetiver and the exalted thin vinegar / metallic accord is a naturalistic chestnut purée. It has an oily granular-paste like texture, and a mild-sweet & bland nut-meat aroma which is mid toned, yet its also opaque and thick enough to smother the vetiver early on, and is so different from the vinegar accord as to be largely immune to it. This thick splodge of chestnut purée on the vetiver keeps it from rising into the light; a lot of chestnut - almost too much - but not so much as to stop a little vetiver from leaking out into the atmosphere on the volatile vinegar gasses. The vetiver is bowed down, suppressed, but its there none the less - like a Freudian neurosis.

As things settle down, vetiver does, ever so slowly creep out, but it spends the first half of the development in hiding, and then, when it does emerge it's initially disguised as some kind of baroque courtier done up in whitened face, powdered wig and plastic comedy glasses. And then, when it really gets going, FE's alter ego starts cracking acerbic one liners right and left - and its then, finally, you come to realise that that old scoundrel vetiver has been capering under your nose for ages and for much of the time you didn't even know he was there.

The mark of a radical art work in any discipline is the initial confusion it engenders in the mind of the audience. The first time I smelled FE I thought it was boring and a bit weird (ie: Challenging and irritating,) and I thought to myself 'who wants to smell like ... chestnut purée?' But later, I re-watched the art critic Robert Hughes talking about Carl Andre's notorious pile of bricks in the Tate Gallery; the howls of indignation provoked by this 'sculpture' and the public money wasted on buying it. But, by virtue of its location in the gallery, it forced people to reconsider the forms that sculpture might now take; after that, sculpture could no longer be just a marble torso nicked from the Parthenon.

Fat Electrician was the pile of bricks in my head, which challenged baffled, confused and annoyed, but which eventually lit up a neural pathway that led to a lightbulb moment.
Besides the technical accomplishment of having re-engineered the vetiver to make of it a balanced two part structure, there is also the achievement of having democratised a dictatorial material which long exerted a stranglehold on any structure a perfumer tried to make it play along with.

But if it 'means' anything, and whether perfume can or should have any significance beyond smelling good is another story, Fat Electrician is about humour and irony. These people at ELdO are no doubt far too subtle to to spell it out, preferring, as they do, to weave their postmodernist word games into clouds of semiological signifiers, enveloping their weird fumes with tantalising mystique.

Whatever. Let's let Antoine Maisondieu and ELdO have the last word when they declare
"The Vetiver is dead, long live vetiver!"
2.5

Fat Electrician
Opens with a perfect vetiver rendition: (sappy) fresh but also (peppery) dry, vegetal and also metallic. Going against tradition the vetiver is not blended with citrus fruit, but with vanilla instead. This delicate note tames the wild grass and infuses it with a smooth- and sweetness I simply find wonderful. Myrrh and opoponax anchor the top notes and enhance the smooth, pearlescent aspects of the fragrance. This makes me think of olive leafs… they too are smooth and have silver-shiny under side. Despite all this talk about warm and sweet nuances, the scent never loses its (fresh) grassy and (spicy) woodsy character. As the scent develops the notes begin to peel away one by one and when it reaches the dry down all I see is an lovely woodsy-smoky shadow. The linearity and smoothness of this fragrance may not appeal to anyone, but it does not detract from the fact this is a very good vetiver offering.

fat me
I can feel the woody amber with my nose, and there is an acetone, shellac, sour plastic quality that I smell as the volatility of the note pulls it away from me.

And then I don’t really smell anything.

Great name, perplexing olfactory experience. It comes and goes in 5 minutes. A discrete, tidy performance that leaves me in a chin-scratching state.

I feel like I should applaud.

First impression
E.L.D.O.'s tongue in cheek story for this fragrance is about a man who is past his physical prime and needs a fragrance to get his mojo back. Despite that, this fragrance is rather unisex. Not at all only for older men.

This is also illustrated by the fact that Electrician is similar to Encre Noire (homme), a fragrance appreciated by different age groups. On first sniff I thought this was an Encre Noire clone. This one, like Encre Noire, is also a warm, dark, gourmandish vetiver, but closer inspection reveals the differences. Encre Noire, to me, is vetiver boosted by pleasant synthetics and with a gourmand facet that I don't like. Electrician, on the other hand, I would call a vetiver + opoponax combination with an original chestnut cream note.

Encre Noire has better sillage and longevity, but I prefer Fat Electrician.

EmorandeiraEmorandeira 143 days ago
Very nice chestnut smell Lost in a too soft performance. Could be one of my favourite perfumes but the lack of sillage make It only average
KimJongKimJong 7 months ago
I love almost every vetiver fragrances, but this is too sugary and gourmand. Some may like this... but it's a bit odd formula for my nose.
ItchynoseItchynose 19 months ago
A sweet, sour & savory rollercoaster ride for the senses. Some will find the edges enjoyable, for the rest it will be an acquired taste.

by Nashulian
by Nashulian

Popular Etat Libre d'Orange

Putain des Palaces by Etat Libre d'Orange Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes / Philippine Houseboy by Etat Libre d'Orange Rien Intense Incense by Etat Libre d'Orange Divin'Enfant by Etat Libre d'Orange Je Suis un Homme by Etat Libre d'Orange You Or Someone Like You by Etat Libre d'Orange Tom of Finland by Etat Libre d'Orange The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d'Orange Attaquer Le Soleil - Marquis de Sade by Etat Libre d'Orange Noël au Balcon by Etat Libre d'Orange Hermann à mes Côtés me Paraissait une Ombre by Etat Libre d'Orange Une Amourette - Roland Mouret by Etat Libre d'Orange Remarkable People by Etat Libre d'Orange Bijou Romantique by Etat Libre d'Orange Like This / Like This - Tilda Swinton by Etat Libre d'Orange La Fin du Monde by Etat Libre d'Orange She Was an Anomaly by Etat Libre d'Orange Eau de Protection / Rossy de Palma by Etat Libre d'Orange Cologne by Etat Libre d'Orange Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange