Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes Philippine Houseboy (2012)

Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes / Philippine Houseboy by Etat Libre d'Orange

Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes is a popular perfume by Etat Libre d'Orange for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is spicy-citrusy. It is still in production.

Ralf Schwieger

Ginger, Coriander, Lime, Shiso, Bergamot, Coconut, Rice, Cardamom, Jasmine, Cinnamon, May rose, Tonka bean, Vetiver, Musk, Amber, Leather, Castoreum

Submitted by Emrocco, last update on 28.06.2020.

MisskMissk 8 years ago

„A savoury gourmand”

TinctureallTinctureall 6 years ago

„Steamy skin and spicy soap”

FvSpee
CoVid comments, first piece: No body fluids!
I have the impression that since the CoViD pandemic hit Germany with full force, commentary activity here has declined. Although I have clicked a lot of new subscriptions in the last few days, I am getting much less relevant emails than before. Well, you writers out there, in the intensive care unit or in the coffin, hopefully you are not yet, but you certainly have good reasons to hold back here. Maybe you have a home office and need to do video meetings at home and take care of the three-year-old child at the same time, and you're so tired in the evenings that you fall right into bed. Or you're always chasing toilet paper. Or have come to the conclusion that dealing with scents is vain delusion. Whatever it is, stay healthy and in good spirits
The current crisis has brought me (this can change very quickly) a slowing down and calming of my daily and weekly routines. Furthermore, my specimen storage is still well filled and I have also placed some souk orders in the last few days; I hope that everything will arrive before the post office closes. And therefore I will comment here perhaps a little more often and more regularly than usual. Maybe sometimes even if I would have written only a statement or nothing at all. As a sign of cheerful play even in difficult times. As a flag signal that I am still here. And for my own amusement as well as for those who like to read my comments and who maybe are now sitting in quarantine at home and are happy about a nice distraction.

Normally I would probably not have written anything about FdDdRedA, because I almost completely agree with Terra. In the fragrance analysis, in the intrusive images, in the point evaluation. And also the others, most recently Augusto (also with the same note), have written very well. If I want to stay with the truth, there's not much left for me to do but to paraphrase the thoughts of the esteemed co-perfumers in other words. I'll actually do that right away, but before I do that, I'd like to say a few words about the name of the company and the fragrance (including the score, which I'll be giving from now on).

I don't know how the brand came to be called "État libre d'Orange" and have not tried to research it, but in any case it is a play on words. In its basic meaning, it is the Orange Free State (also known as the Orange Republic), a Boer Republic in southern Africa founded on slavery, which then became a sub-state or province in the South African Union (later South African Republic). "Oranje" because of the Dutch royal house of the Oranians, since the Boers came from the Netherlands. It remains to be seen whether the founders considered that it is a bit strange to name a "Free State" (i.e. a republic) after a royal dynasty. Since the company hardly wanted to express its sympathy with apartheid by naming it, it must be a jeu de mots, because "État" can also mean "state" or "stand" in addition to "state", so something like "free state of orange" resonates and wherever you want to turn the kaleidoscope of meaning. I think it would be funny if the company had its headquarters in the Provencal city of Orange or if it mainly produced orange fragrances. As far as I know, neither is the case, so maybe the creators were only coked on coke
I give four points for the name FdDdRedA. Bad, because first of all I can't stand scented names with excessive length, which cannot be pronounced reasonably. Extremely annoying habit, no fun, mostly mindless. Secondly, I think that it is not necessarily necessary to make jokes and gimmicks with religious names in a commercial context. I don't mind satire, but with luxury consumer goods, it doesn't have to be. Still four points, because rice and citrus fruits (citrus notes) go together, because that's how the stuff really smells. And because it sounds kind of poetic, I think. By the way, if there are French people or French teachers among the readers of this commentary, help to clear up the situation. I mean yes, the translation that is usually offered here: "The son of the rice and citrus god" is not quite correct, I mean, that would be: "Fils DU Dieu de Riz et des Agrumes". As it is written here, "Fils DE Dieu de Riz et des Agrumes" is rather "The Son of God [as a strictly Christian term Technicus] of rice and citric" (i.e. like "the Mother of God of Gouadeloupe").

Anyway, the name sounds somehow nicer, friendlier and more cheerful than the usual ELDO scent names like "Palast Nutten", "Fetter Elektriker", "Herrliche Körperflüssigkeiten" or "Weihnachten auf dem Balkon". And so it is. This here is the anti-secretions, the cuddly ELDO.

The very first thing I feel with FdDdRedA is a somehow disturbing animal or maybe rather vegetable stinky note, very slightly only, not disgusting, but slightly irritating, something slightly rotten and stinging (could come from coriander herb). But this retreats within minutes into the overall composition, which I actually feel, whether I am influenced by the hub or not, who knows, as a rather dual interplay of very fine, pleasant, soft citric (this is the dominant part) and creamy, equally fine rice. I write creamy, but the tendency here is not so much towards rice pudding as towards the finest dry-dusty rice powder, which can have a very noble fragrance. This is then played around and made more interesting by strong smelling but low dosed spices and playful flowers. This only scratches the gourmandism. It is a really beautiful and interesting scent, which then settles relatively quickly into a moderately sweet tonka-musk base, but in which rice and citrus fruits are still "kept". In fact - others have already said so - the fragrance in this very long finishing phase is then a skin scent in a double sense, on the one hand it is skinny, close to the skin, i.e. long lasting, small sillage, and on the other hand it is a skin-enhancing scent of which one only notices for sure that it is not the natural scent of the skin when comparing the sprayed left hand with the "naked" right hand. A pity actually, would be great if the own skin smelled like that.

So no brutal truths of pus, blood and sperm from the depths as in the Secretions Magnifique, but here the finest, almost sweet perfume for the surface. But the art of perfumery isn't suitable for Memento Mori either, which is why a lot is written about the Secretions, but fragrances like FdDdRedA are more likely to be worn, and that's a good thing.
Augusto
No rice bowl exoticism after all?
A steaming pot opens and a cloud of fresh scents of lemongrass and basmati rice hits AugustA. Satisfied sigh. Okay, the rice isn't that bad. Satisfied sigh. On the skin you will only find a lime drink and a coconut dish - no, not really at all - if so, then only with a lot of imagination. Satisfied sigh.
What remains is a satisfied sigh, indecision about the shape of the fragrance, a fresh winter scent, unusual, deliciously steaming, on a sweaty wooden base for dessert? And of course this doubly confusing name. Typical ELDO, but this time very friendly and wearable at any time. Satisfied sigh.
Fresh rice in Asian style
After my comments on Secreations Magnifiques, Cologne and Noel au Balcon now also this of the great brand Etat Libre D'Orange. My last comment on the brand for the time being, as I have now tested these 4 extensively thanks to bottlings. Which I can say for sure: There will be more to follow from this brand. Great brand, which are not so expensive for niche conditions.
"The Son of God, rice and citrus" is the translation. The brand is known for unusual concepts and names. Here the name already reveals what this is mainly about: citrus fruits and rice. Also the nickname "Philippine Houseboy" reveals: This one has a strong Far Eastern touch. Rice and citrus fruits are widespread there anyway.

I love the flacons. Just for that, I will buy at least one of these brands. I like this noble finish with this eye-catching pattern. Great trademark.
In my opinion, the fragrance itself is somewhat more complex. Many fragrances make it difficult to give an exact description of the fragrance. Especially during the first half hour I feel very complex and need getting used to. Fresh citrus fruits such as lime are active, but also an unusual spice. Not everyone's gonna like it. But after about 30min to 1 hour it gets really tasty: rice. This rice note reminds me of fresh rice steam or the smell of freshly filled rice. Coconut and cinnamon give the rice a sweetish touch of rice pudding. Delicious and very gentle. In addition, there is a very gentle Asian touch. The combination of citrus fruits, rice, coconut, cinnamon and other spices works well. It's very tempting and delicious, but never too heavy. Also with the scent type classification here one sees a multifaceted picture. Of many fragrances a little bit and therefore very balanced.
The performance is solid. Durability is good with many hours, Sillage keeps within limits and is never too intrusive. Due to this middle Sillage also suitable for everyday use. Versatile can also be used, but above all a leisure fragrance for me. Unisex is perfectly justified in my opinion.

All in all worth a test. A must for rice lovers.
The Asian
At first you can notice an intense citric - woody note, which brings a very minimal musty touch and is due to the ginger.

At the same time a herbaceous and greenish - citric note can be perceived, which comes from the bergamot in the interplay of the lime.

In the background you can see something mintlike, which removes the minimal musty touch of ginger and I actually tipped on mint, but the internet kindly told me that this scent property comes from Shiso.

A little bit later you arrived at the Asian of your confidence.

A bright, yet powerful floral sweetish hint of jasmine is blown into the nose, cooked with the finest Basmati rice, from which rises a wonderfully exotic sweet powdery steam of coconut.

To the rice an intensively aromatic - spicy sauce was selected, reminiscent of celery and leek, which fits really wonderfully and is to be owed to the coriander leaf, which was refined with a pinch of cinnamon.

In the last 3 hours a very soft, smooth note is noticeable, which carries a fine almond and vanilla breath with itself and is to be owed to the musk and the Tonka bean, which let the smell marvelously fade out
Cardamom, French Mairose, Vetiver, Amber, Leather and Beavergeil I couldn't see, but I can imagine very well that these components were used for the background.

Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes is a pleasant companion during the spring, autumn and winter months for women and men of all ages who are looking for the order number 29 of their Asian, but unfortunately do not have time to eat, but would like to be surrounded by the scent.

In total, the fragrance lasts 7 hours on my skin.

The Sillage is conceived from the outset in such a way that one is perceived clearly at an arm's length and this is also maintained 3.5 hours in such a way, before it reduces itself in quiet steps, until the smell finally completely fades away.
Anarlan
A tropical son of the gods for the temperate latitudes
Through the scent components, the numerous elements that I find delicious and exciting, and the politically highly incorrect former scent name "Philippine Houseboy", which was typical of ELDO, strange and provocative, I was attentive to the scent and accordingly fixed. The fragrance is now called -in respect of whomever felt offended by the original name- translated into the son of the gods of rice and citrus.

This one enters with a cinnamon lime coconut note. The Lime-Coco-Combo from Virgin Island Water greets you from far away, but there, where the latter lets the surf play with perfectly manicured fingernails, freshly showered and white-blooded on the beach, the son of the gods goes to the kitchen after a short time, where it gets steamy and a bit queasy.

It smells of rice steam, as if from bubbling rice pudding gently on the stove, restrained in its sweetness, creamy and creamy, quite delicious for me to put in, and the citric of the lime is spicy herbed by cardamom and coriander and Asianizes the whole auf´s Delicacy. For a few seconds I think I can already perceive a fine, unanimal leather note, which reminds me quite remotely of Tom of Finland, among the previous delicacies, the impression comes and goes and stays very covered. Any beaver horny, musky or anything?

The citrus note slowly loses its freshness over time, the whole thing gets warmer, more vanilla, creamier, and I could swear that a cumin note is increasingly developing. In the fragrance pyramid is not to be found any of them. A year of Parfumo was free? Nothing learned except to spend too much money on too many fragrances??

Wait a minute, wait a minute. It says "Shiso." A mint spice, I can't remember the scent, but I recently had the roasted seeds (wild sesame) on a wonderful dessert, the taste nutty and creamy. I have already seen the plant somewhere as a green aromatic herb. The research shows Shiso in fresh has a distinct cumin aroma, smells citric and dried cinnamon. You were lucky, so no complete nose-blindness after all...

In the base the gourmand and sweetness are lost, lime, rice pudding, cream, spices and coconut now give way to subtly sweaty, moist skin evaporation. Musk mates with woody, irritating contrasts of dry and moist impressions, along with delicate, light, floral notes, slightly soapy. Jasmine should be responsible for that. To me often too bright and biting, here a nice contrast to the now steaming damp mood.

ELDO wouldn't be ELDO if it weren't for this game with irritations, breaks and small perversions in their scents. Gourmand and sweaty, in the combination actually a no-go, here however very excitingly in the process one behind the other composed. It may be too exhausting for some, but I can get excited about this game with breaks, unexpected twists and turns of alignment.

The only smear: the development of scents in tropical climates. As gourmandy-aromatic and tasty as the fragrance works in the Middle West German, 17 degrees warm climate with cloudy skies and then slowly turns and changes, so dirty and unfresh it becomes right from the start when worn in the tropics. The gourmand here appears almost immediately with the sweaty, steamy skin notes, leaving out the slower and staggered course, and I just didn't like to wear the scent there recently because of that. With Andy Tauer´s 02, which I also had with me as a heat test perfume, it behaved surprisingly the other way round, here the beauty of smouldering smoking wood and the sandy heat in this fragrance, which I perceive only subdued in cool temperatures, only really came into its own
As summer scent I will not wear the son of the gods, the gourmand is too delicious not to taste it in a slower scent development. In cooler seasons wonderful.

MasterLi
Totally tropical, fully oriental... and simply delicious!
Etat Libre d'Orange's gourmand masterpiece is Fils de Dieu de Riz et des Agrumes is a fantastic mix of a deep, animalic vanilla oriental (like Shalimar), and a savoury gourmand fragrance.

It has a crazy list of notes... but I basically get some food-like notes, such as lime, shiso leaf, ginger, coriander, coconut... and white rice, followed by Leather, Vanilla and Castoreum. It's an incredible combination. What I find it comes down to is a (very) well done combination between sweet, rich & creamy... and slightly acid-like savouriness. What I mean is that you have a creamy vanilla flavoured white coconut rice pudding, but also an spicy aromatic herbal mixture of shiso leaf, green cardamom, and the acidity of lime, with dark smoky leather and castoreum.

How does it smell? Well, really nice actually! You would think that this combination would not work, but it does... and it's actually very wearable! At least to me anyway. I really like it and I think that if you are someone who likes "exotic" smells (or food) and likes "savoury" fragrances, with a hint of sweetness, then you will like this. Some people say it smells "too much" like food. Well, I personally think the balance is just right. You have leather and castoreum to balance out the gourmand aspect. Having said that, please try it out on your skin first, and give it time. I find it a very well done fragrance (really good perfumer here), and it works well with my skin. I think this is a fragrance for people with "unusual" or "unique" tastes in fragrances (like a lot of the Etat Libre d'Orange line), but I personally like it very much.

If you want something very different from anything else, try this one. It may smell like food on you and turn you off... or you may not think like that and really like it anyway! For me it's very special and unique, and I enjoy wearing it every time.

Tinctureall
Steamy skin and spicy soap
An initial mandarin like citrus waft. Slightly sweetish but balanced with a tartness which lasts for a few seconds before morphing into a creamy, almost green edged soft baby powder. Like an irissy almost floral comfort zone in a gentle sugar base but never getting too near sweet. This would be nice for a young girl or for an office scent. Very unobtrusive and not too over feminine.

The softness starts to unleash traces of unspecific balsamic sweetish spices similar to cinnamon traces on pastries, but in such tiny creamy amounts that I suspect tolu balsam is at work. There is a sweet creaminess to this but it is very soft and thick like a milky rum cocktail with traces of nutmeg on the top.

Just as this gets all too soapy clean, there is another note like a tiny hint of rubber poking through. It is slightly naughty. Across between rubber and a new plastic doll. An almost kinky steamy skin against the innocence of the creamy soapy clean softness, and it contrasts slightly but then melds happily.

Just as this starts to get really interesting, it rapidly begins to fade into a musky amber powder and any stirrings of naughtiness just go to sleep. Like newly sweaty, sleepy, warm skin after a bath with creamy, spicy soap traces lingering.

Nice, but leaves you wanting more.....

(Back to the blind testing of a series of ELdO samples, so these reviews are from nose notes.)

Travel Memories
It's probably in bad taste (pun intended) to write a review before the perfume has had much chance to develop. But in this particular case it seems to match a certain kind of body chemistry - I particularly love the rice note that turns up early one.

I don't eat rice every day, sometimes not even once a week, but there were times and places when I lived essentially off rice, beans and corn day in and day out. What develops around it is subtropic as well - at some times it resembles (soy) milk rice, at others it brings the ever so pungent sweat note of those who have eaten lots of rice in their lives (or at least recent weeks). Coconut? Sure, for festivities. There is some lemon and lime in the head note, but it makes way for the austere if versatile heart soon, introducing dry grass and a whiff of beans. The demigod of rice doesn't rest on his roses before evening ... don't be mistaken though, it's going to be sweeter than the laborious day.

A savoury gourmand
I was incredibly fortunate to have won a sample of this fragrance in a competition a few months ago. I didn't know what to expect, having never tested anything from this brand before, but I was delighted to be given the opportunity to test it in the comfort of my own home.

Fils de Dieu, (the name is far longer but I'll shorten it to simply this), is a fabulously complex and beautifully composed fragrance. The main notes to my nose are orange, ginger and lime, however there are many other fascinating ingredients that make up the rest of this blend. I could literally smell this for hours and be quite content doing just that.

It is said to have been inspired by the Asian tropics. I have never travelled there, nor tasted many Asian dishes from which the coconut rice accord came to fruition, but I do get a sense of its exotic aura and somewhat foreign approach.

There are so many people raving about Fils de Dieu, and I'm just going to chime in with my positivity too. Even those that don't fall head over heels for this fragrance, should count themselves lucky for having experienced the complexity of this scent alone. The perfumer Ralf Schwieger is a very clever man and I will be looking out for more of his compositions in future.

Although the opening is very bright and citrusy, the ginger and coriander add a certain depth and intensity to the scent. The spices are never too much. They prefer to compliment rather than intrude. The heart makes way for a delicious blend of coconut milk, white rice and vanilla. It's not far from being a gourmand, and an interesting one at that. It's savoury rather than sweet.

This fragrance amazes me with its smooth transitions from one stage to the next. The drydown is a delicate meeting of animalic musk with exotic spice. This is where a sense of sensuality can be felt, which I find a suitable end to such a captivating scent.

The longevity is rather good, lasting a decent six or more hours on the skin. The sillage is not overpowering, but it does leave a pleasant trail. I personally think that this is a fragrance not to be missed.

NB. I may be wrong, but I'm certain that this fragrance and Philippine Houseboy by the same brand is the same fragrance, just a different name.

TapirMedardTapirMedard 22 months ago
Surprisingly versatile perfume. I can't say for sure which category it belongs to. Masterful work by Ralph Schwieger.

Popular Etat Libre d'Orange

Putain des Palaces by Etat Libre d'Orange Rien Intense Incense by Etat Libre d'Orange Divin'Enfant by Etat Libre d'Orange Je Suis un Homme by Etat Libre d'Orange Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange Tom of Finland by Etat Libre d'Orange The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d'Orange You Or Someone Like You by Etat Libre d'Orange Noël au Balcon by Etat Libre d'Orange Hermann à mes Côtés me Paraissait une Ombre by Etat Libre d'Orange Attaquer Le Soleil - Marquis de Sade by Etat Libre d'Orange Une Amourette - Roland Mouret by Etat Libre d'Orange Remarkable People by Etat Libre d'Orange Like This / Like This - Tilda Swinton by Etat Libre d'Orange Bijou Romantique by Etat Libre d'Orange She Was an Anomaly by Etat Libre d'Orange La Fin du Monde by Etat Libre d'Orange Cologne by Etat Libre d'Orange Eau de Protection / Rossy de Palma by Etat Libre d'Orange Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange