Je Suis un Homme (2006)

Je Suis un Homme by Etat Libre d'Orange

Je Suis un Homme is a popular perfume by Etat Libre d'Orange for men and was released in 2006. The scent is spicy-citrusy. It is still in production.

Antoine Lie

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Bitter orange, Myrtle, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCognac, Clove, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAnimalic notes, Leather, Patchouli

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 04.09.2019

AromaX
A gloomy look of an unbarbered face
Je suis un homme, what's in the name? A statement, an expostulation or an entreaty? A tough call for a daily SOTD. A bit aggressive.

A daunting mix of citrus bitterness with a chilling sharpness of metallic edge. Like a sullen look of an unbarbered face. But later on, after a sip of cognac, there is a wam and spicy woody base. It's almost furry. A great prove that there is a cuddly Teddy bear hidden in every man.

I can't smell leather there. At least not convincing enough to recreate its image. But I can easily picture a leather jacket to be the only piece of clothe in the wardrobe of this guy.

A nice illustration of this scent for me is "Je suis un homme" song performed by Maximilien Philippe (originally by Zazie).
7.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Ignika
Good thanks to small twist
Start: Fresh, citric.
Everyone knows.
Start: fresh, citric, slightly sour, mildly bitter, tart hints, and still in good, no, great execution? You really don't smell that every year.

For a long time Jsuh was led by representatives of the citrus and spice fractions. Bergamot contributes less than bitter orange and lemon (ratio 20:40:40). In addition in similar proportion cinnamon:clove:myrtle. Patch remains enigmatic, neither earthy nor as heavy as I am used to. Some leather gives a more bitter nuance, maybe even beavergeil. I didn't hear any typical cognac smell, but barrel smell did!

So, first and foremost, citric, without being too angry or too bitter. Interesting aromas to it, background astringent by leather, herbaceous and woody by myrtle and cognac barrels. I like the overall picture very much.

My suspended sample is ancient, and yet the citrus fraction smells like only recently processed. Chapeau! I like it. I'll have that one day.

7.5 7.5 10.0 9.0/10

The Leathery and Spicy Niche Cologne
It really was a miracle I met this cologne. I was looking for a good cologne but not too classic, and otherwise I wanted my cologne realized my dark side. Light and shade of a Sagittarius then. But I did not believe in this possibility.
And yet: here it is. Je Suis Un Homme (I Am A Man) captures the deeper and complex masculinity, one that takes the eternal dialectic of duality. That of the man with the brightest smile hiding the darkest soul, and reveals the whole man.
Citric, spicy and leathery cologne (with the usual leather quality of this brand), all much more than the parts. Thank you, ELdO!
7.5 5.0 7.5 7.0/10

A tough spicy leather
It starts with citrus, leather and peppery spices. In the heart the citrus fades, the spices subside and the leather takes the lead. There's some booze hidden in the heart, and I like how a little orange peel (bitter orange?) makes the leather a bit fresher. But those are very small notes. The dry down, starting after 45 minutes or so, consists almost entirely of spicy leather, for 8+ hours. The type of leather is neither 'black', nor the modern type of leather. But it reminds me of the older type of birch leathers. Red or brown in character.

This fragrance doesn't smell 'nice'. But I appreciate this assertive and energetic leather. Are you a man or a woman and feeling bold or confrontational? Try this.

Itchynose 7 months ago
A classic retro smelling cologne with an ELdO leathery twist. Spice lovers should enjoy the abundant cinnamon and clove.+1
6.0