Putain des Palaces (2006)

Putain des Palaces by Etat Libre d'Orange

Putain des Palaces is a popular perfume by Etat Libre d'Orange for women and was released in 2006. The scent is floral-sweet. It is still in production.

Amber, Ginger, Leather, Lily-of-the-valley, Mandarin, Rose, Violet

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 09.07.2019

7.0 8.0 8.0/10

Madame Pompadour ...
...Yes, she was a mistress of the Sun King. Not to say the mistress. But that alone is not enough to describe this lady.
She is also said to have been a very influential woman as far as politics in France at that time were concerned.
A kind of chief advisor to the monarch, with much more intellect than one would have expected from her from the outside.
And I'm sure she wore scents, too. But I can't imagine the then usual pompous, very "animalistic" perfumes, which already said from afar what they intended.
No, her scent must have been much more subtle. "Diplomatic?!?".... One who had "everything" and said "a lot", was "direct", but also had the necessary "restraint".
A scent like Putain des Palaces. With "flowery" expressiveness through roses, a certain "innocence" of violets and the necessary distance through "cool" lily of the valley.
Some "sharp raciality" from spicy ginger, "maternal warmth", evoked by a hint of amber. Finally, not to forget a seriously grown-up elegance through the scent of fine leather.
Personally, I would describe "Putain des Palaces" as an intelligent sensual fragrance that does not only seek "obvious outward appearances". And inside you have what you wouldn't expect at first glance.
8.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

KVolteer
The whore of the house asks to the table
She enters the hall and each of her movements is underlined with a murmur of decadent society. Everyone wants to be near her, but nobody wants to be publicly associated with her. The hair strictly tied to the back, a penetrating self-confident look with which she greets each of her guests wordlessly and a light but mysterious scent that fills the room together with her. She lets the thin leather coat slide from her shoulders and sets the scene for her floral dress with roses, lily of the valley and violets. Silence. Astonished glances streaked each other and nobody really wanted to believe that the courtesan could be completely different, as everyone believed. Once again, with her head held high, she throws her self-confident gaze into the round and this time accepted a clear portion of admiration. With this wordless performance she was able to clean up the rumours around her in a highly professional and purposeful way. Chapeau, proud woman!
7.0 7.0 8.0/10

Stanze
Tradition is preservation of fire and not worship of ashes.
France has a centuries-old tradition of "Putains des Palaces", women who use sex to their advantage, even really in palaces. The German Wikipedia has a list of mistresses of the kings and emperors of France. The earliest mistress mentioned there lived from 1340 to 1380. The presidents of the Fifth Republic continued this tradition. Fiery nights without scattering ashes on your head. In 2006, when this perfume came out, Jacques Chirac was in power and he was accused of various extramarital escapades. Anno 2014 there were funny photos with François Hollande, who was picked up by his chauffeur by motorcycle from the former domicile of Julie Gayets, his lover. It's a perfect match for this perfume. Powder, lipstick (on the collar), the leather of motorcycle clothing, a slight animal touch after the night of love.

At the beginning the ginger stings briefly, which I personally do not like. Very quickly, however, the fragrance becomes soft, sweet, ambery and very powdery. The violet dominates and the rose is also present. I like that pretty much. If I should say a color to it, then maybe apricot, a light pastel orange. The leather is a scent that occasionally leaks out and finally the perfume becomes slightly animalistic. Not strong enough to bug. This slightly animalistic is the reason why I would not wear Putain of the Palace on my job. Nurses have to be clinically pure at all times. I don't want to imagine animalistic sports.

In my spare time I find Putain des Palaces pretty good. Since I have to work all the time, I cannot wear Putain des Palaces every day. Summer, winter, spring, autumn, I don't see any restrictions. I can't imagine perfume on a man. But maybe I have only a poor imagination.

Durability and projection are okay to good. A sprayer is definitely enough for me for 6 to 7 hours in which I constantly sprinkle myself with the scent.

Once again I have only one bottling and therefore cannot say anything about the bottle.

This is the second fragrance from EldO that I have tested and I am so far quite taken with their perfumes. I think the cheeky titles and descriptions are a marketing strategy and I'll probably jump at them.
5.0 7.5 7.5 9.0/10

Powdery Violets...
Putain des Palaces is a name which conjures up images of "brothel whores", with powdered makeup and overt sexuality, both in attire and attitudes. But this fragrance really smells nothing like that. As with many (but not all) of the Etat Libre d'Orange line, this has a provocative name and bottle packaging which does not reflect the smell of the liquid inside.

Putain des Palaces opens up with a very juicy note, which I can only imagine is the combination between the mandarin orange and the ginger, combined with the violets. It gives everything a very "fresh" vibe which I like very much. Then the powder comes in, rose absolute, sweet violet and ambery musk-like powder, which nearly dominates the fragrance. Personally I like it, and do not find it too powdery for my taste, but I could see why other people might. There is also lilly-of-the-valley here, which combined with the powdery rose and violets, give this more of an "antique" fragrance smell, more associated with the old fashioned, conservative female floral perfumes of the past. However in true Etat Libre d'Orange style, it's still wearable... as they know how to balance the line between controversy and convenience.

I think this one is very accessible, as long as you are ok with a little dusty powder and slightly "old smelling" florals. Personally I think this one is quite nice, and for me, very wearable. But as with all fragrances from this house, sample and test before buying.
5.0 7.5 10.0 8.0/10

Ysbrand
Undressed is not the same than naked
Prostitution is a professional field with so many areas and levels of specialization that one single perfume might probably fail in representing the entire range of prostitute types.
Smelling Putain des Palaces maybe i could get the "for sale" vibe, but if so, it is certainly not for a cheap price. Precisely, Etat Libre d´Orange is very clear, for this is the type of professionals you can see in the lobbies and bars of five stars plus hotels and earn in one month what i do in one year.

The opening is a fresh bouquet of flowers: i catch mostly rose and a bit of lily of the valley/lilac with a sugary leather. The flowers step back a bit, and the leather/make up/orris steps forward... it turns warmer, like a superfine smooth suede, a skin scent, slightly musky. The flowers are delicately caramelized. At this stage is a very easy, sexy yet elegant fragance.

Drydown is skunkier. Just between you and me, i couldn´t tell if there is pussy in there as some say, washed or unwashed (if there is, i like it after all) but the leather, caramel and violet intensifies and tempering the sweetness there is a slight bitterness that make me think of heliotrope or almond. The perfume smells warmer and more ambery. The skin feeling is more evident. If this fragance had a color, it would be many hues of nude.

A great example of how classy and sexy can go together without taking from each other.
10.0/10

Coutureguru
Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir?
The first 10 minutes of PdP on my skin are deliciously skanky ... like I've been 'taken advanage of' in the back of a limo :). Of course, this is a Maybach, with delicious caramel leather upholstery and a gift of deliciously fragrant roses, violets and muguet tossed carelessly aside on the facing seat :). The couture is Westwood, no doubt, the cigarettes are Gauloise and the city is Paris. Leaving the Haute Couture shows of Fashion Week we are on the way from a bar in the Marais to my suite at Hôtel Scribe ... he's at least 15 years younger than I ... there I will become Putain des Palaces.
Intense immagination is a power granted by the fragrances of Etat Libre d' Orange.
7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Call me a "Hotel Whore"--if you must!
It took me a long time to recover from my testing of Etat Libre d'Orange Sécrétions Magnifiques and to muster up the courage to test more perfumes from this line, but I am happy that I did. So far I have encountered some very worthy creations--some more worthy than others, but all interesting in their own right. (Except for SM, of course)

My latest pleasant surprise is that I quite like PUTAIN DES PALACES! The opening evokes memories of Frédéric Malle LIPSTICK ROSE, which I also love (and own), but after that the two compositions diverge somewhat, with LIPSTICK ROSE becoming more of a waxy rose perfume, while PUTAIN DES PALACES becomes more ambery and dark, with a leathery edge. The violet and rose are still detectable in the drydown, but they are buttressed by the darker components. I would not describe this scent as "skanky", and to those reviewers who compare PUTAIN DES PALACES to the smell of dirty private parts, well, I'm not sure what to say.

One concern is that if some people really do perceive it in that way, then should it be worn only in private contexts, just to play it safe? Or should we throw caution to the wind, and not worry what other people think? Well, in any case, I certainly think that PUTAIN DES PALACES smells great.

Call me a "Hotel Whore"--if you must!

Trucklady 112 days ago
All that and a sly wink! You never, ever know what is being worn underneath, and THAT is the excitement. Let them wonder...+2
10.0
Lillibet 19 months ago
A modern and wearable spin on an old-fashioned bombshell style fragrance. Violet powder, leather, musky notes, citrus, ginger & roses.+4

by Sherapop