Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange

Rien is a perfume by Etat Libre d'Orange for women and men and was released in 2006. The scent is leathery-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Antoine Lie

Frankincense, Rose, Leather, Iris, Cistus, Oakmoss, Styrax, Patchouli, Amber, Cumin, Black pepper, Aldehydes

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 25.08.2019

7.0 10.0 5.0/10

Stanze
It brings back memories, I'm afraid
Nothing (Rien, I call it nothing in the further nothing, so that one sees better, how trollig EldO actually are) is unforgettable, claims the official web page. And I believe that immediately. I won't forget this sometimes humorous test event either. Unless, of course, I dement.

At first I was all over the place with a great rose scent and leather. I don't always like leather, but it was very nice. Then a horde of aldehydes knocked in and I realized this was the stuff my mother used to have in her toilet chair. I always had to pour it out, which was no pleasure at all. It smelled stronger than certain other things a chair like that has to do with. At this point, I just didn't want to wash anything off. Family tester M then asked me to spray him with nothing. I had to laugh because the scent was so terrible and didn't wash anything off. After one and a half hours the incense dominated the nothingness and there the nothingness smelled pretty good again. It ambered and smoked.

What crazy stuff! I would never have the patience to carry nothing and survive the terrible middle time.

The durability is certainly quite good, the Sillage fluctuates between not so strong and yet so strong, depending on which phase nothing is currently in.

Maybe there's nothing left for men. I don't know on what occasions you can't put anything on other people. It always depends on what you work for. For example, as a garbage worker, nothing at work may not even stand out. When you wander through lonely areas in your spare time, there is nothing and nobody that nothing could disturb. For the summer, nothing would be nothing. The test was very entertaining and the purchase of the sample was therefore worthwhile.

Etat Libre D'Orange Rien vs Rien Intense Incense
Here's a comparison video I have been meaning to do. An Etat Libre D'Orange Rien vs Rien Intense Incense comparison video. This is to compare the differences of Etat Libre D'Orange Rien vs Rien Intense Incense. If you know one or the other or both or neither of the Etat Libre D'Orange Rien and Rien Intense Incense it's time to find out or just watch to see what both Dalya and I think of both Etat Libre D'Orange Rien and Rien Intense Incense.

8.0/10

Rickbr
The name is just as the opposite as the scent itself. This is far from an almost absent and skin-like musky fragrance and seems much more like a homage to 80's scents. Something on the leathery and smoky woody aroma just make me think of Chanel Antaeus, with plenty of aldehydes at the opening and something dirty going on. It's hard for me to say if it smells cheap or expensive, because it seems to play at both sides at the same time. It's not an easy fragrance to study each note developing and it's one that you have to be very carefully while spraying, it's very strong and if you miss the dose it'll be not pleasant.
6.0/10

Tinctureall
Dry and uncompromising after a warm start
Opens with medicinal tuberose like florals, like a mixture of powdery lavender, nutmeg and vanilla. A warm enveloping scent a bit like a floral cough lozenge. A soaring note I cannot place keeps this from being fusty but only just. It's like opening a dusty broom cupboard where all the polishes are kept. The florals are not really flowers but belong in a way as they do to wood polish such as lavender, pine and woody citrus.

The flowery side recedes and the polish/wood/resinous note gets more pronounced and veers towards leathery boot polish instead. Just like sticking your nose into a pair of brand new and recently polished boots. This morphs again into uncompromising dry leather woods like a strong norimbanol with a light touch of sweetness like vanilla behind. Quite manly at this stage reminding me of a Nasomatto woody dryness. If you like those, then you might very well like this.

All of this is fairly pleasant but quite strange. It doesn't strike me as even trying to be a perfume. More an experience. On paper it retains much more of the floral notes but still remains fairly like leather polish to my mind.

(I'm blind testing a series of ELdO samples, so these reviews are from nose notes.)

Ain't No Thing
Rien is a leather, yes, but what constitutes a leather note in perfumery is often vague. ‘Floral’ and ‘woody’ are broad categories as well. Yet we make distinctions in florals (by species: jasmine, tuberose, lily; descriptively: bright, orchestral, indolic) and woods (by tree: sandlewood, cedar, birch; qualitatively: grassy, earthy, milky.) Even a genre as vague as ‘green’ lets us specify by ingredient (galbanum, neroli, vetiver) and by attribute (fruity, resinous, bitter.) For leathers, we might point to the ingredients of rectified birch tar or isoquinolones, but in general we’re usually just loosely descriptive, often to the point of obscurity. Smokey, tarry, rubbery, ‘like the inside of a purse,’ suede-like. Suede-like? We might as well say carpet-like. Evocative, yes, but this terminology doesn’t give us a lot of analytical range.

What are the actual differences in the leather characteristics of Knize Ten, Cuir de Russie, Carillon pour un Ange, Azurée, Habit Rouge? I have no answers, but am curious.

But Rien is a bit different. It uses a combination of ingredients that each gives a slightly different angle on the qualities of dryness, dustiness, inkiness, metal, bitterness. It suggests the scent of a thick leather motorcycle jacket. Incense, cistus, cumin, styrax, aldehydes. Find the wrong angle on any of these components and Rien could have been a muddle if not a mess. As it turns out, though, (and here I fall prey to dim descriptions of the leather genre) Rien is a gorgeous, sharp, harsh leather. Distinctive, striking, beautiful? Utterly. Pretty, cozy, something Sephora has trained its customers to like? Not by a long shot.

Etat Libre d’Orange doesn’t target the mainstream perfume buyer, and thus avoids the sort of fragrance that a good few might like and an even larger number won’t actually mind. For the complaints, valid or not, leveled against niche perfumery (pretension, dilettante exclusivity, smugness) Rien is a beautiful example of the effectiveness of a well-curated line and risk-taking. In addition, it is no more expensive than many designer releases.

Rien is a terrific perfume, and perhaps more importantly, an example of a creative, successful strategy by a niche house.
7.5 6.0/10

On the fence
I'm really on the fence about Rien.

The opening is very strong and I'm not sure what I'm smelling. This scent is very compact (if this makes any sense at all) and is almost nauseatin. After 10 minutes the opening calms down and the same scent is much lighter with a few flowers in the distance. At this point I can't stop smelling my wrist. In my opinion this scent is very interesting and intoxicating. I guess I will have to try Rien again and again until I can make up my mind.....or until I'm addicted and can't live without it anymore.

This is definitely not a scent for the faint hearted.

OPomone 4 years ago
Antoine Lie at his best.
Saturnine beauty, clashing voluptuousness, convulsive poetry.
Les Chants de Maldoror in a square bottle.+4