The Afternoon of a Faun (2012)

The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d'Orange

The Afternoon of a Faun is a perfume by Etat Libre d'Orange for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is spicy-green. It is still in production.

Ralf Schwieger

Bergamot, Pepper, Cinnamon, Frankincense, Rose, Immortelle, Iris, Jasmine, Namibian myrrh, Moss, Leather, Benzoin

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 09.07.2019

7.5 5.0 5.0 5.0/10

The Afternoon of a Faun
Opens with a strong tobacco note, which is in fact an accord of immortelle and incense or leather. Bergamot, orris and myrrh modify the dense and rich accord into something light and gauzy. I see a strong soapy accord layered over immortelle and warm spices. The strawflower is relegated to being a supporting note anchoring the fragrance with its woody/hay-like vibe. What I see reminds me very much of YS Uzac's Pohadka. The two fragrances are built with almost the same notes: leather, immortelle, resins, as well as similar green and fresh notes. I prefer Pohadka, because it is more complex and lasts longer. A fairly tame fragrance, once again at odds with the hyper-sexual promo material.
4.0/10

Dalmajen
Harsh, to the bitter end.
Harsh, to the bitter end.
I'm happy that I received a sample of this strange named fragrance. I have to admit, it was very difficult wearing this the whole day! I wanted to see how it developed, and if it got any better...But, in the end, I was happy to scrub it off, as I just couldn't get used to the overwhelming bitterness of it! The opening had a touch of bergamot, but was quickly overcome with the crack of a large leather whip, surrounded by immortelle and a cold steely touch of iris. I didn't pick up any cinnomon, which is a shame, as it would have added a bit of warmth to the picture. Perhaps the moss made it so bitter, hard to say, but the fragrance is so very dry! Dry and a very unpleasant type of green. I felt very uncomfortable wearing it, as it has an almost sad vibe to it. It is by far, a more masculine scent. This may be attractive to those who like rather dry, green, leathery scents. I just couldn't get past the harsh, bitter side of it. P.S. this review was posted in the German reviews, for some unknown reason, so had to copy paste it here.

nympho
The perfume-tells-a-story bit isn’t my bag. Why do we try so hard to push narrative onto non-literal experiences? As much as I love to write about perfume, the writing is utterly after the fact of the experience. Just let me smell my perfume and experience the state.

The poem, the music the ballet, the myth. Genug shoin! Afternoon of a Faun perfume doesn’t suggest fauns or any of the notions that a faun represents in mythology. But story aside, it is a brilliant perfume.

There have been a number of strategies to recreate or suggest the chypre accord without the bio-hazard oakmoss. Chanel 31 Rue Cambon bends a floral amber into the shape of a chypre. Annick Goutal Mon Parfum Cheri makes patchouli, a common chypre component, a stand-in for rather than a partner to oakmoss. de Nicolai’s Vie de Chateau Intense plays with the hay-like scent of coumarin to create a fougere/chypre hybrid. But Ralf Schwieger does a clever turn with Afternoon of a Faun.

Using immortelle, which I wouldn’t otherwise think to associate with oakmoss, he plays up the sandpapery, dusty feel of oakmoss giving us the tone and the shape of the chypre without explicitly trying to smell like one. The composition has a clear bergamot note, and an ambery benzoin if not cistus labdanum itself, so the rest of the chypre elements are in play. But immortelle, when matched with incense and myrrh implies that state between smokiness and resin that moss creates. Imagine that perfume notes are elements on the periodic table. Schwieger goes directly up one level to find the element that shares the same chemical properties as our element oakmoss and makes a new compound.

Rather then suggesting a chypre (31 Rue Cambon) or using chypre-like elements (treemoss and the new synthetics) Schwieger gives us a parallel universe chypre, and I for one couldn’t be happier. This could easily be a signature scent for someone searching for perfume monogamy.

from scent hurdle.com

Darkbeat 126 days ago
A chypre green and spicy with a good dose of immortelle, a linear and strange, but pleasant aroma. Very good performance.+2
TapirMedard 12 months ago
If Fat Electrician is a semi-modern vetiver, then this fragrance is a completely modern chypre. Soft, deep, masterful work by Schwieger.+3
Syzygy73 13 months ago
The hot acrid nastiness of a urinal at a rock concert. ELdO is sometimes a hit and sometimes a miss. This just smells like piss.+1

by DonVanVliet