The Afternoon of a Faun 2012

The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d'Orange
The Afternoon of a Faun is a perfume by Etat Libre d'Orange for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is spicy-green. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Ralf Schwieger

Namibian myrrhNamibian myrrh
MossMoss
LeatherLeather
BenzoinBenzoin

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 16.10.2021.

Fauning
Etat Libre d'Orange is a house that always throws up a surprise when I sample. The Afternoon of a Faun is no different. Here I share my thoughts on this unique composition. Hope you enjoy and thank you for watching.

Détour II
Up to now and by far, my favourite of this brand, whose swings into French high culture à la Mallarmé, de Sade, Victor Hugo and most recently Ionesco led to respectable results. I also got to know The Afternoon of a Faun through a detour via Sables - Faun offers probably the greenest, most vegetative interpretation of Immortelle I have come across. Almost no sweetness, but a slightly bitter floral perspective that reminds me a bit of Givenchy's Insensé - although this one was much more flowery and Faun all the more androgynous - or smelling for the first time as a teenager in the 80s in the bathrooms of grandmothers and aunts Vent Vert or Eau de Campagne. When I received my first bottle of Faun I was on my way to Bologna, in spring - the perfume came with me, other environments and climates are often good test environments to get to know more about the function and character of a perfume. Although the nights were already filled with wafts of jasmine, Fauns was grandiose in this city and season, endless arcades, parquet and terrazzo patterns, plants and dusk, are all facets the perfume appeals to. A kind of wood-polishing note is also part of The Afternoon of a Faun, which transports the whole thing back to the beams of the Théâtre du Châtelet in Paris at the turn of the century.
All in all an incredibly great Helichrysum / Chyphre.
To the 100th a few thoughts about fauns and ELdO
The brand Etat Libre d'Orange has only 14 years on the hunchback and yet it already has a quite remarkable fragrance spectrum. At the moment 43 fragrances are listed here, I know 11 of them. I only got to know this brand here during my active time on Parfumo.

Etat Libre d'Orange was literally proclaimed in 2006 by Etienne de Swardt, who described the year as the year zero of perfume art. It is considered a virtual nation, a state in which fragrance freaks consider their creations entirely as art and create their works simply following their inspirations. That's what makes them so different from the interchangeable drawing board fragrances that are becoming more and more prevalent in the design world.
The name of the fragrance house is derived from the Orange Free State, an independent Boer Republic in South Africa, which existed between 1854 and 1902. Etienne de Swardt was born in Pretoria, so the name was not chosen by chance.
I don't want to talk about the painful history of South Africa, that would go beyond the scope of this article and this is also not the right platform for it.

This brand attracts attention with very unconventional fragrances with equally unconventional names. It is said that Sécrétions Magnifiques is one of the most terrible fragrances of all. I don't know it, but I have read quite a bit about it. It wouldn't be a fragrance I'd have to put on my watch list Now a small and very interesting test series recently came into my hands and I took the opportunity to deal extensively with the fragrances.
Of the scents tested, The Afternoon of a Faun made the most impression on me.
And I thought I could write a few lines about the scent.

The fragrance is built entirely around the Immortelle. The immortelle or strawflower belongs to the daisy family and has a characteristic fragrance. I would describe the fragrance as strongly spicy, aromatic and curry-like. I also perceive the fragrance as very dry, somewhat dusty and medicinal. In any case quite idiosyncratic and not everyone's cup of tea.
The Immortelle remains the dominant theme throughout the entire process. If you can't do anything with this fragrance, you won't be happy with it either.
The strawflower is joined by a few other floral notes, but these are used sparingly and remain in the background. Resinous spice is still present and gives the fragrance a warm undertone. It also becomes greenish, moss brings a certain dull and creaky touch. And a touch of cinnamon adds a bittersweet note.
All of this is very skillfully interwoven, because I can't really make out a top, heart or base note in this fragrance. The notes all come together and surround the main protagonist Immortelle, giving her an exciting framework.
The scent shows slight hints of a chypre scent, a direction I am still very much in favour of In the course of time the fragrance changes only a little bit, it gets a little deeper and a note that reminds me of Maggi comes into play. This is not directly unpleasant now, but fragrances that remind me too much of kitchen spices or herbs are not really my preferred direction.
Overall, the fragrance is not heavy or somber, although I cannot deny its bulkiness.
The shelf life of 10 hours is very successful, but in the course of the first hour the fragrance becomes very close. The somewhat quieter tones, which are struck here, I find very suitable here What does this have to do with a faun now? A faun is a deity of nature and the forest, protector of farmers and herdsmen, of cattle and fields. In its appearance as a mixed creature of man and billy goat, it is supposed to protect and monitor the fertility of man, animals and plants.
The Afternoon of a Faun is based on the poem of the same name by Stéphane Mallarmé, which was adapted into a piece of music by Claude Debussy. This in turn was first performed as a ballet in 1912. Furiously choreographed and danced by Vaslav Nijinsky, it became a scandalous success because it was full of sexual allusions. Unthinkable at that time.
This play tells the story of a faun that wakes up from its afternoon nap and talks about what it has experienced during the day. Maybe they were just dreams
With this fragrance you want to remind of this work. It's quite well done, I think. The fragrance is a bit stubborn on the whole and with this mix of tart, floral, spicy and slightly animal notes it interprets this somewhat surreal mood of the piece quite well, even if I don't find it scandalous.
However, the fragrance will not be a candidate for purchase, because although it is very good, it would definitely be one of those fragrances that are hardly ever worn. So it remains a very interesting and enriching test experience and I thank Ergoproxy very much for the opportunity to test it.

And with the 100th comment I wanted to report about a very impressive fragrance.

Thanks for the attention so far!
Faun on lovage
Green spicy, very strong herb, a bit like lovage, with peat and bark and a dash of lemon.
Right from the start dark green like the faun jumping on Debussy's ballet stage.

AugustA likes the pictures of Vaslav Nijinksky in the performance of 1900 (!) choreographed by Sergei Diaghilev. A black and white scent in green, so to speak.

So the faun is now in the scenery. Now what? Does he lie down in the meadow or in the moss of the leafy forest? Or is it seducing the sleeping girl in the clearing, which it is stalking? Is he now attacking a nymph? Everything still seems possible in the first 10 minutes of the fragrance
Yes, that's probably how he smells this faun we know from some paintings, with or without girls, or flute. Earthy, poetically dreamy. Pungent. A real billy goat always smells a bit strong, half of a mythological goat smells even more. It also has to smell green-leafy aromatic. Like leaves that have been lying on the ground for a while, in the forest. And the fresh forest air that sweeps over it. Free nature. Where can you get something like that?
Well, he certainly stimulates fanaticism. Whether more is and remains unclear to me until the end, because of the nicely chosen title or the fragrance itself.
Because at some point, he's just gone. Curtain.

The impression remains:
Billy goat, garnished with lovage. Strange. And that's a good start.

The Afternoon of a Faun
Opens with a strong tobacco note, which is in fact an accord of immortelle and incense or leather. Bergamot, orris and myrrh modify the dense and rich accord into something light and gauzy. I see a strong soapy accord layered over immortelle and warm spices. The strawflower is relegated to being a supporting note anchoring the fragrance with its woody/hay-like vibe. What I see reminds me very much of YS Uzac's Pohadka. The two fragrances are built with almost the same notes: leather, immortelle, resins, as well as similar green and fresh notes. I prefer Pohadka, because it is more complex and lasts longer. A fairly tame fragrance, once again at odds with the hyper-sexual promo material.

Dalmajen
Harsh, to the bitter end.
Harsh, to the bitter end.
I'm happy that I received a sample of this strange named fragrance. I have to admit, it was very difficult wearing this the whole day! I wanted to see how it developed, and if it got any better...But, in the end, I was happy to scrub it off, as I just couldn't get used to the overwhelming bitterness of it! The opening had a touch of bergamot, but was quickly overcome with the crack of a large leather whip, surrounded by immortelle and a cold steely touch of iris. I didn't pick up any cinnomon, which is a shame, as it would have added a bit of warmth to the picture. Perhaps the moss made it so bitter, hard to say, but the fragrance is so very dry! Dry and a very unpleasant type of green. I felt very uncomfortable wearing it, as it has an almost sad vibe to it. It is by far, a more masculine scent. This may be attractive to those who like rather dry, green, leathery scents. I just couldn't get past the harsh, bitter side of it. P.S. this review was posted in the German reviews, for some unknown reason, so had to copy paste it here.

nympho
The perfume-tells-a-story bit isn’t my bag. Why do we try so hard to push narrative onto non-literal experiences? As much as I love to write about perfume, the writing is utterly after the fact of the experience. Just let me smell my perfume and experience the state.

The poem, the music the ballet, the myth. Genug shoin! Afternoon of a Faun perfume doesn’t suggest fauns or any of the notions that a faun represents in mythology. But story aside, it is a brilliant perfume.

There have been a number of strategies to recreate or suggest the chypre accord without the bio-hazard oakmoss. Chanel 31 Rue Cambon bends a floral amber into the shape of a chypre. Annick Goutal Mon Parfum Cheri makes patchouli, a common chypre component, a stand-in for rather than a partner to oakmoss. de Nicolai’s Vie de Chateau Intense plays with the hay-like scent of coumarin to create a fougere/chypre hybrid. But Ralf Schwieger does a clever turn with Afternoon of a Faun.

Using immortelle, which I wouldn’t otherwise think to associate with oakmoss, he plays up the sandpapery, dusty feel of oakmoss giving us the tone and the shape of the chypre without explicitly trying to smell like one. The composition has a clear bergamot note, and an ambery benzoin if not cistus labdanum itself, so the rest of the chypre elements are in play. But immortelle, when matched with incense and myrrh implies that state between smokiness and resin that moss creates. Imagine that perfume notes are elements on the periodic table. Schwieger goes directly up one level to find the element that shares the same chemical properties as our element oakmoss and makes a new compound.

Rather then suggesting a chypre (31 Rue Cambon) or using chypre-like elements (treemoss and the new synthetics) Schwieger gives us a parallel universe chypre, and I for one couldn’t be happier. This could easily be a signature scent for someone searching for perfume monogamy.

from scent hurdle.com

KimJongKimJong 2 years ago
Dissolved elegant jasmines in a old school testosterone bomb. It's pretty good, compared to $15 pharmacy colognes.
DarkbeatDarkbeat 2 years ago
A chypre green and spicy with a good dose of immortelle, a linear and strange, but pleasant aroma. Very good performance.
TapirMedardTapirMedard 3 years ago
If Fat Electrician is a semi-modern vetiver, then this fragrance is a completely modern chypre. Soft, deep, masterful work by Schwieger.
Syzygy73Syzygy73 3 years ago
The hot acrid nastiness of a urinal at a rock concert. ELdO is sometimes a hit and sometimes a miss. This just smells like piss.

by Slickadam
by Pigfarmer
by medicine
by medicine

Popular Etat Libre d'Orange

Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange Rien Intense Incense by Etat Libre d'Orange Putain des Palaces by Etat Libre d'Orange Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes / Philippine Houseboy by Etat Libre d'Orange Je Suis un Homme by Etat Libre d'Orange You Or Someone Like You by Etat Libre d'Orange Divin'Enfant by Etat Libre d'Orange Attaquer Le Soleil - Marquis de Sade by Etat Libre d'Orange Tom of Finland by Etat Libre d'Orange Hermann à mes Côtés me Paraissait une Ombre by Etat Libre d'Orange Noël au Balcon by Etat Libre d'Orange Bijou Romantique by Etat Libre d'Orange Une Amourette - Roland Mouret by Etat Libre d'Orange Like This / Like This - Tilda Swinton by Etat Libre d'Orange Remarkable People by Etat Libre d'Orange Spice Must Flow by Etat Libre d'Orange Archives 69 by Etat Libre d'Orange La Fin du Monde by Etat Libre d'Orange Cologne by Etat Libre d'Orange Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange