Like This Like This - Tilda Swinton 2010

Like This / Like This - Tilda Swinton by Etat Libre d'Orange
Like This is a perfume by Etat Libre d'Orange for women and was released in 2010. The scent is spicy-floral. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesGingerGinger
RoseRose
Base Notes Base NotesHeliotropeHeliotrope
MuskMusk
VetiverVetiver

Submitted by Snowflake, last update on 19.10.2021.

FrauHolle
Pumpkin punch with whole fruits
Since one must come also only once on it to fill pumpkins into so small Flakons, that is already Parfumeur work of all first cream class, that can not everyone, for it one must have already a pumpkin miniature distillation diploma in the bag, and who has that already.

But, great idea, just does not smell so good.
Smells namely, maybe because of all the other stuff that's in here, certainly because of the tangerines, somehow like E 605 forte, with a hint of lemongrass, phosphorworcestersauce (if you can pronounce that correctly, you're a freak!) and just like garlic manure.

Way too sweet!
Pumpkins, but even the really small, cute little pumpkins, don't smell sweet at all!
Pumpkins aren't meant to smell anyway. What are they even there? Eat the jawohl no one. The things are completely useless, and just to lie around there thick & fat so; Actually first not unsympathetic, but also totally superfluous, right? (Look at the sofa.)

They more than deserve the ugly grimaces we humans give them from time to time. What have pumpkins ever done for us?

They us NOW, in these difficult times, when we all have nerves of Elster tax paperwork,

we ALL can't go on' holiday, aren't allowed to crash quads over Dubai's dunes, just just 4 fun, to want to foist it on us as a perfume, is fabulous cheek on ELdO's part. My opinion!

Pumpkin?
To be honest, I had bigger expectations for it, and thought that it should be something like a spicy gourmand pumpkin. Yes, there are well-detected spices, a little honey, some flowers, some fruits (pumpkin?) and a lot of vegetable musk. It is nice but not as pumpkin-ish as I hoped.

Sweet & powdery
I think that this is a gorgeous scent. The mix of carrot (which is not listed here but It appears in the ELDO flyer that i have recived at home with a samples purchase), pumpkin and heliotropo makes me think of the smell of a very powdery iris so this perfumes remember me to typical iría perfumes like dama koupa by baruti. It is a bit similar also to Dior homme but softer and a bit more femenine.
The problem that i find in this perfume is the performance. The longevity is moderated, about 5-6 hours on my skin, but the sillage is very soft. If It would have a better performance i would probably buy It :). I find the perfume unisex but i think It would be found better for women than for men. As It is very soft i think is better for daytime but not under too warm weather.

Scent:9
Longevity: 6
Sillage: 5
Quality/price: 6
Versatility: 9
Originality: 8
Global: 8.5

The very back of Grandma's Spice Cupboard
I detect a prominent puff of saw dusty or cardboard note followed by a pinch of peppery ginger buffered in a afterthought of soft amber resin and powdery musk. This also has a modern hopeful note threaded through the middle that must be coming from the mandarin and vetiver together. This scent gives me a Professional, smart, Tailored but somber feeling, boosting my inner courage like a early morning brisk walk through Central Park on the way to a cheerless staff meeting on chilly Autumn day. From my tester, the sillage is restrained and hovers about 1-3 inches off my skin with no intention of invading anyone else's personal space. I would describe this as gender neutral and on the right person, totally appropriate for business/day wear on a man, woman, other. Admittedly, is not my kind of fragrance comfort zone, but if you like Diptyque's Vetyverio's use of Rose, powdery musk, Mandarin around a resinous dry wood and spice bundle, you may want to sample this one.
Pumpkin soup at the Indian in Hollywood around the corner
EldO encouraged me to try "Like This" with the sound file for "Like This", which is on the official website and was divinely spoken by Tilda Swinton. So I ordered some samples.

I'll make it short this time. "I like "Like This" and also the tester family, but it smells like pumpkin soup with ginger, curry and a little bit of Maggi. Flowery, spicy, sweet and fruity. Maybe it can be worn at home on weekends. Maybe that was Tilda Swinton's favourite dish at the time with the Indian in Hollywood around the corner. I don't know, I don't know. I didn't dare wear it to work. I don't have any tolerant colleagues anyway. Recently they explained to me that you have to spray perfume behind your ears and on your hair (and not into your neckline or on your forearms). Pumpkin soup behind the ears and on the hair I imagine exotic (pumpkin soup hairmist). My nose isn't that long, I can put it behind my ears. I don't want to glamour anyone but myself.

Anyway, it was an entertaining test at home and "Like This" really smells like no other perfume I've ever tried. It is also somehow gourmand, only that the food is not dessert, but the main course. The perfume is more suitable for older women, but is not subject to seasonal restrictions. Tilda Swinton's soundfile is great and I can only recommend to listen to it.

Briarthorn
The embodiment of "Autumn"
It opens with a strong Immortelle and Pumpkin that combine to have an almost Cacao quality. I kept thinking, "wow, like bitter chocolate powder" It was lovely. There is also the hint of tangerine and Neroli behind the Cacao-like notes. There are no real florals in the opening but it does feel a bit boozy with the combo of cacao and citrus.

The heart warms up and bring out a lovey, warm Neroli blossom with a hint of Hyacinth. The pumpkin takes a back seat and allows the Immortelle and Florals to drive for a bit. Behind the warm Neroli and earthy spiciness (almost curry-like) of the Immortelle there is a nice ginger and vetiver pop. It gives some serious depth to the Immortelle and florals. There is also a bit of freshness from the clean musk. But just a hint. Someone complimented me during this phase of the scent's evolution and specifically mentioned the beautiful Orange blossom note. I think it's a combination of the Neroli and hyacinth that give it the orange blossom feel.

The drydown is beautiful. The Immortelle and musk are the strongest notes now. The pumpkin, vetiver and ginger are the notes behind the musk and Immortelle. The drydown is similar to the heart but the slightly citrusy vetiver replaces the citrusy notes of the neroli and the florals have faded away. Giving it a more earthy feel. There is much more of a fresh zing from the musk as it's almost the dominant note. This musk is truly lovely. It's clean, fresh, and gives the whole composition the zing it needs The pumpkin, and ginger help ground it and the Immortelle continues to offer it's odd spiciness. It's almost curry-like. But not the curry spices you buy in a bottle. It's like the fresh curry made with curry leaves, turmeric and a dash of cumin and cardamon.

This scent has great projection and lasts about 16 hours, maybe a bit longer (I showered it off). It doesn't become a skin scent until well after 10 hours. I was impressed with how long the Neroli lasted. Normally citrus and orange blossom notes are the first to fade. This house managed to extend it's life span quite a bit.

Great quality. Very Unique. Beautiful. One of my favorites. Also one of the few that I have been complimented on.

May
2014

I liked this too
Finally a good Etat Libre d’Orange under my nose. The opening is beautiful, lively, pleasant and solid: a sugary heart, orange-neroli zesty head notes, quite sweet but not “gourmand”; a rather natural, and slightly boozy kind of tart-sweet (think of Frapin’s Passion Boisée) with resins, honey, also tobacco to me, which overall kind of reminds me of a sort of child nephew of Fumerie Turque; less tobacco, more woody and more sweet – “less cigars and more candies”, shortly. Bright spices (ginger) melt with the citrus-woody accord. Finally, initially I get only a hint of immortelle, which however quickly takes the main stage and becomes the prominent note, with its peculiar earthy-boozy-floral personality, quite rich and “dirty” here – and other immortelle-based scents come to mind. What I really enjoy here is the citrus-floral silky breeze which provides a touch of grace and colour, a thin crystalline breezy-sweet accord which blends well with woods (a restrained, clean, yet slightly “dark” vetiver) to create a “spring”, joyful frame to the earthy smokiness of immortelle. I think the contrast between smoky-earthy, spicy-zesty and floral-sweet notes is perfect here, graceful and restrained enough to smell perfectly solid and utterly pleasant to wear; it kind of quotes and alludes to several other scents, blending them in something new and unique – from mainstream fruity-floral scents (like J’adore, just the first that came to mind) to spicy-citrus/neroli ones (Fendi Theorema) to the quite unrelated realm of earthy-tobacco-immortelle fragrances, from Histoires de Parfums 1740 to Huitième Art Fareb or Lutens’ Fumerie Turque. Not saying it is similar to any of these in particular; rather that like in a “collage” painting, it kind of takes bits and echoes of them, juxtaposing them here to create something new. Like a portrait made with bits of other portraits. On the drydown, though, one of those scents becomes more than an “echo” and comes quite more closer – Fendi Theorema (for women), mostly for the same interplay among citrus-orange notes and spices-woods. Other names and “quotes” aside, is a really well-made scent: it’s bright, pleasant, playful yet shady and smoky, tamed down enough to be safe and versatile, effortlessly elegant and velvety. Nice!

7,5-8/10

Didn´t Like This...
I am kind of reluctant to write a negative review about a fragance just because my personal preference falls in other direction. In the case of Tilda Swinton/ Like This I guess i was expecting something else, and i was really excited about the pumpkin/ginger. Indeed they are really appealing, so are the other notes, on paper and in real life. But the high pitched, heady mandarin totally spoils it for me. The combo white flower/mandarin i have smelled so many times (pure poison, catch me, even when there is no mandarin listed: jaïpur bracelet) gives me the impression i am smelling the same juice over and over. Pretty but i don´t like it. I will never know if i would like the evolution of Like This, because after half an hour i scrubbed it under hot water and I don´t know what type of chemical reaction i triggered with the soap, the Like This and the hot water, but the revenge of Tilda came as a puke-ish waft coming from my hand.

Don´t let my words disencourage you to sample this fragance, it is girly, only slightly odd and i guess wearable, as long as you like mandarin.

Creamy Unusual Scent
Like This....
What a unique fragrance....
there are slightly Floral notes...
and an earthy quality to it ...
Creamy like a Mushroom or Moss...
but not a dirty earthy feel ..
it's far to cheerful.
I guess the Rose helps with that ...
The Musk gives it a wonderful
leather-ish finish ..
it all settles together ..
quite nicely on my skin ..

I noticed that
the Leather-ish notes settled into a very ...
yummy "MAPLE SYRUP" scent ..
strange ..yes..
but Wonderfully Unique!

I like the compliments I'm getting while wearing this fragrance.
and it seams everybody is intrigued by the name and by the poem it is inspired by as they are with the scent.

Not only do I appear to be well scented
but very interesting as well...

Matches Tilda's Hair
Etat Libre d'Orange TILDA SWINTON LIKE THIS is a very foody perfume. Which is ironic, given that Tilda Swinton looks like a walking skeleton. She definitely cuts a strange figure--rather like Stella Tennant, who despite looking like a boy became a wildly successful supermodel. I guess there's hope for everyone. Anyway, back to the fragrance.

LIKE THIS opens very boozily with a blast of orange liqueur--not as nice as Cointreau, but with that much orange. Then comes dessert: a sweet pumpkin flan with a generous infusion of ginger. All of this foodiness really reminds me of the kitchen, which is I guess what Tilda Swinton wanted, so in that sense this scent succeeds. But as a perfume to wear? That's another story.

If I were to try to compare this odd creation to something else it would be either Bond no 9 CONEY ISLAND or Histoires de Parfums 1873. However those two do not remind me of kitchens and pumpkin pie. Even in the drydown, when the sweetness has subsided to some extent, I still feel that this was all about an eating event. I don't know, maybe I've just cooked too many sweet pumpkin dishes, and those experiences make this scent seem more like that of a cook, not a celebrity.

I wonder whether pumpkin and tangerine were selected to match Tilda's hair and freckles? Hmmm... that seems pretty bourgeois to me. Come to think of it: this fragrance could also work for Carmella Soprano, who spends a lot of time in the kitchen. Although she's usually making chicken parm.

EmorandeiraEmorandeira 1 year ago
Sweet & powdery mix of carrot, pumpkin and heliotrop which make me think of the typical iris perfumes. Unisex but more Fem. Soft performance

by OlenkaSnake
by OlenkaSnake
by Jasmine87
by Jasmine87
by Lah2o
by Lah2o

Popular Etat Libre d'Orange

Rien Intense Incense by Etat Libre d'Orange Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange Putain des Palaces by Etat Libre d'Orange Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes / Philippine Houseboy by Etat Libre d'Orange You Or Someone Like You by Etat Libre d'Orange Je Suis un Homme by Etat Libre d'Orange Divin'Enfant by Etat Libre d'Orange Attaquer Le Soleil - Marquis de Sade by Etat Libre d'Orange Tom of Finland by Etat Libre d'Orange Hermann à mes Côtés me Paraissait une Ombre by Etat Libre d'Orange The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d'Orange Noël au Balcon by Etat Libre d'Orange Bijou Romantique by Etat Libre d'Orange Une Amourette - Roland Mouret by Etat Libre d'Orange Spice Must Flow by Etat Libre d'Orange Cologne by Etat Libre d'Orange Archives 69 by Etat Libre d'Orange Remarkable People by Etat Libre d'Orange La Fin du Monde by Etat Libre d'Orange Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange