Ambra 1989Eau de Toilette

Ambra (Eau de Toilette) by Etro
Ambra (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Etro for women and was released in 1989. The scent is woody-oriental. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Coriander, Labdanum
Heart Notes Heart NotesAmber, Rose, Geranium, Styrax, Opoponax
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Vanilla, Patchouli

Submitted by Loreley, last update on 29.08.2020.

Melancholy
Torn out of the toil, the fears and the sad actionism of the past days and weeks remains
time finally stood still. For me. For seconds. For a little eternity Already the first moments of the encounter decelerate the hasty actionism of the driven spirit, which is helpless against the merciless flow of new normalities ...

Silence...Silence...Silence...Motionless silence. Exit to the clearing. Evening sun. No one. The hurried, nervous seconds break down into nothing. Calm breath. At last .
The warmth of the sweet-bitter powdery texture lies on my face like tender hands. Memories rise in me of the atmosphere of the old wooden arbour at the shady end of the grandmother's garden. In the evening she prepared the wonderfully fragrant hot cocoa for the children
Flowing out of the forest floor in the evening
earthy, bitter smells. The night puts on a fine, light robe. It smells wonderfully of vanilla and ...
Comfort
Ambra

In the warm sunshine of autumn I float over finely spun wood and enjoy the hazy sky above me and the slightly animalistic earth below me.

I am Ambergris. Ambergris from Etro

After the initial nervousness I stick my chewing gum to the bright garden fence on which rose hedges rub tenderly.

Bergamot peeps out, various resins shimmer in the background and a light brown scent of split wood - piled up to dry on the warm south wall - is accompanied by caramel beeswax.

It hums and hums softly in the amber light with vanilla and patchouli. A breath of cinnamon flies over the stone garden steps. Dried grass drizzles in the fine cracks and straw dries sweetly along the wayside.

The fragrance creates its own space. Individual elements become less and less readable. And after a mysterious approach - everything is interwoven - you are taken away into a beguiling aura that flatters you.

Small cushions of air and scent scurry above everything. Dream particles are. In the finest honey light.

I am Ambergris. Ambergris from Etro.

I love you - I hate you!
Here is my first comment. Actually, I rarely think of anything when trying a new perfume. But this scent amazed me so much that I just have to write something about it.

I spray the first sharpener on my wrist and the blow hits me immediately. God, that smell is awful. I immediately get the idea that I'm entering a pharmacy in the Middle Ages. I can't help but think of disgusting medicine. I've got to get that smell down. Then my daughter joins in, cheering with her eyes wide open. "Oh it smells like delicious cough syrup" I have only one thought. The smell has to go. Just to be sure, I'm gonna spray another sample on a piece of paper. Maybe I'm the only one who smells that bad.

Nope, just as horrible. Is the smell maybe not okay? Shoots through my head. Slowly the medical smell fades away and more and more a heavy patchouli bomb stings me. Inevitably old thoughts from the 80s come up, as I enter an Indian clothes shop with many burning incense sticks. It takes my breath away. The smell has to go. But something stops me. What is it? There's something stopping me from getting rid of that smell. Something inexplicably interesting. I keep thinking. After about half an hour I catch myself sniffing my wrist with every breath of air. Warm sweet vanilla with amber rises up my nose. I can't get enough of it. I'm totally ecstatic. The scent stays on.

Conclusion: The fragrance is like a butterfly from the hideous becomes something beautiful. I hate you because you smell so bad at first. I love you because you're turning into something wonderful. So before I leave the house, always wait half an hour
I do not take roses with this fragrance and I do not find the rose geranium here. A great fragrance for the cold season and for all those who take the time to develop a fragrance properly

Cumulnimbus
My perfect good weather amber
Etro Ambra is my favorite choice when I'm craving for amber during spring or even warm summertime nights. It is gentle, soft and fresh, with a bittersweet sightly medicinal character as in L'Artisan Parfumeur l'eau d'Ambre though creamier, less transparent and more balsamic than it. Still this has the elegant subtleness, never overwhelming, private pleasure style of Etro house.

I think both Etro and L'Artisan Parfumeur houses are sometimes misjudged. Usually scents don't last too long on my skin but both Ambra and L'eau d'Ambre last decent 6 to 8 hours on me. I wonder if the fixatives these companies uses just are the ones that perform best on me. Sillage on the other hand is quite soft, they are both almost skin scents. I like them that way but if you look for perfumes with big sillage, neither of them would not serve your demands.

I find Ambre to be quite a unique amber in its perfect balance between freshness, and warmth. When compared to L'eau d'Ambre, Ambra is deep, more risky and modern while L'eau d'Ambre's dry down is translucent, polite and more classic.

Elusive amber
Ambra by Etro, especially in its vintage EDC concentration (paisley box) is another “golden era” Etro worth a try (which of them isn’t?). An austere, evocative and quintessential amber, dusty and elegant, really simple and spartan with a lively and kind of exotic feel of “hippie shop” (due to its simplicity), and a clever, much pleasant subtle citrus-floral breeze that - for a while at the opening - add a sweet-fresh touch to the dusty, golden, warm heart of the amber accord. Besides being rather “simple”, Ambra is also quite dry and dark, with the peculiar and quite unique exoticism of many of the best Etro’s: a sort of mystical austerity with a nostalgic touch, scented with echoes of church incense and aged woods, especially on the (fantastic) drydown. This dusty and sort of “antique” nostalgic feel is reinforced by a vaguely musky-earthy note which I can’t identify precisely, perhaps is just more of a general feel, but it is quite a peculiar and memorable feature of this scent (and other Etro’s actually). Really pleasant to wear for sure: as many amber-based scents it is undoubtedly cozy, warm and effortlessly refined, unpretentious and totally un-challenging, but classy and distinctive in its elegant and warm sophistication. Surely more fascinating than others, if you ask me, even if not that creative - but with such a straightforward name, you wouldn't expect that. Sadly it does not last that long, at least in its vintage EDC concentration, but as long as it lasts it remains rich and vibrant, and quite worth the wear. A (perhaps underrated) must for all amber lovers.

7,5-8/10

Tar
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust
There are many surprising fragrances out there, and if we hunt them, we can catch them.
Ambra by Etro is definitely a brave experiment - I could not imagine, that such an earthy, dusty, antediluvian fragrance can exist - and I will be able to enjoy it so much.
Somehow the first sniff was so dry and warm, that it recalled the desert wandering of Moses. Lemon, bergamot, vanilla - I think they emigrated from the bottle before withering. It is so dry, that I do not even understand, why is it not a solid perfume, how can it be liquid.
I suggest to wear AMBRA when you are at home with a good history book in the evening. This unisex scent will help you to travel back in the time and enjoy the ancient tales.

TapirMedardTapirMedard 2 years ago
Elegant slightly salty amber. A warm embrace on a cool fall night.

Amber aus der Welt der Pflanzen
by Camey5000
Das AMBRA-Foto zu meinem Amber-Kommi Nr. 3 Erinnerung an Walverwandtschaft.
by Camey5000
Mein neuester Schatz, entdeckt auf einem Flohmarkt, welch ein Glück  ...
by Elastique
by Parfumfan29
by Eloise
by Eloise

Popular Etro

ManRose by Etro Vicolo Fiori (Eau de Parfum) by Etro Shaal Nur by Etro Palais Jamais by Etro Vicolo Fiori (Eau de Toilette) by Etro Rajasthan by Etro Musk (Eau de Parfum) by Etro Paisley by Etro Patchouly (Eau de Parfum) by Etro Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Etro Heliotrope (Eau de Toilette) by Etro Greene Street by Etro Messe de Minuit (Eau de Toilette) by Etro Etra by Etro Via Verri by Etro Via Verri (2010) by Etro Dianthus by Etro Patchouly (Eau de Toilette) by Etro Jacquard by Etro Marquetry (2015) by Etro