Messe de Minuit 1994 Eau de Toilette

Messe de Minuit (Eau de Toilette) by Etro
Messe de Minuit (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Etro for women and men and was released in 1994. The scent is spicy-smoky. The production was apparently discontinued.

Jacques Flori

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Orange, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouli, Lemon petitgrain, Ceylon cinnamon, Rose, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesLabdanum, Musk, Myrrh

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 19.06.2021.

Schellack
There are few perfumes where opinions clash as they do with Etro's "Fair".... Very entertaining!!
Reflects quite, what we have already come across to this.
My first thought when my wife tried on the fragrance was: "Smells like a first-class, mature Bordeaux, which unfortunately has a touch of cork", so already something of the highest class, like La Mission Haut-Brion 1989 or so, but just with Beiton. Or maybe - the priest has a passion for great wines and likes to treat himself to such a little glass in the sacristy. But the note is only strange with wine, otherwise "mass" is for us quite the elegant, somewhat heavier fragrance for the grand entrance, lace dressed evening gown, etc., but of course not in time. - but of course in no case in the temporal or local proximity of a wine tasting... and also otherwise to be dosed carefully. Even more so, where you can no longer get it.
So with shellacs now and then gladly smelled, and our friends we have also not yet managed to scare with it.
On the other hand: years ago, my wife was looking for (another) incense-heavy perfume. We enter a small, fine perfumery in the capital. A very competent and polite gentleman serves us. She recites her request, I want to be useful and throw in a "So maybe more intense incense than the Messe de Minuit". Suddenly - we are startled by a hair :-) - the friendly salesman flips on Snapchat (and from High German into dialect): "Messe de Minuit? I can't stand that. Net amal in d'Gruft derffns ma des nachschütten!!!" Well, fortunately he quickly calmed down again, and we finally left the shop satisfied with a flacon of Full Incense by Montal.
My wife appreciates the latter still very much, also the "fair" continues to be used with pleasure.

But the demonstration of the strong emotions that a perfume can trigger was already impressive!
It's not incense scent
No, it's not incense scent. Really, it's not. At least the current (the 3rd variation) of Messe de Minuit (eau de toilette) I have in front of me right now. While the first two variants were more scratchy and somehow, how should I say, more medieval and complex, denser, the current version is a fruity and yet darker scent.

A scent that always reminds me of a visit to the Isle of the Dead San Michele in the Venetian lagoon on November 1st, more than 10 years ago: it was a cold morning, the fog lay over the lagoon. Through the fog the sun was already shining and slowly dissolved the fog. Wafts of mist drifted out onto the lagoon. And through these wafts of mist we looked for the way to the graves of Sergei Diaghilev and Igor Stravinsky. From time to time autumn flowers were still blooming. Then again a grave with a fresh bouquet of flowers. And again and again this iridescent play between sun and fog, which also reminds me of Stravinsky's music. Bulky beauties.

Messe de Minuit (Eau de Toilette) begins with a citric and slightly acidic overture, to which patchouli is added. Patchouli, as it is used for example in the Héritage (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain. Present but friendly. And rose. A late and strong rose. All this sweetened with cinnamon.

Soon, however, the solo oboe enters the sceptre in the form of a radiant myrrh. Present, dark myrrh, which has something fruity in its appearance. The second oboe is labdanum, which takes this rubbery chord from the myrrh. Together with the orchestral instruments (lemon, patch, rose, cinnamon) a work that is always touching for me.

No, it's not incense scent. It's a myrrh fragrance. With sacred echoes throughout, when I think of some visit to a small Romanesque church somewhere in Burgundy after a mass. The cool, damp walls and the smells that were smoked in the boiler and that hang in the brickwork and the wooden chairs.

Messe de Minuit (Eau de Toilette) was my entry into my niche fragrance collection. A fragrance that always works when nothing works anymore - and: it was sold to me as incense! ;-)
FabianO
Aggressive, cocoa-phonic scissors - biting sour lemon meets cool-scratchy incense
Possibly one must wait really with it, until 24.12. is, in order to be able to apply "fair de Minuit" adequately. But even then, Catholicism is also an obligatory part of this, as is the tolerance of its fellow men to approve of this quite unwieldy Etro scent in its immediate vicinity at the Feast of Feasts.

I mean, there are quite a lot of conditions to fulfill and I still smile about the total teardown of CdG below, already 8 years old, which brings the pissed off parsonage toilet into play.

No, something doesn't fit together at all here, and I mean it's the brute spreading of aromas that "Messe de Minuit" does to you.

That incense and myrrh must occur at Christmas - good, given. Cinnamon still sticking to your fingers, left over from afternoon gingerbread food? Also within the framework of the Reellen.

But what these piercing, crosswise lemony, orange notes are supposed to do is not clear to me.
It bites itself blatantly with the sacred smokiness and, in combination with the somewhat stony coldness of the smoke aromas, actually has something bizarre about it, which Klostein evokes as an association, and indeed "on the spot", somewhere between two central doors, the fair incense blowing in - the WC vapours wafting out, strongly mixed with these citric, cutting cleaner aromas.

No, even after an hour it doesn't get better, but the energetic, sour, woven through with the cool scratchy myrrh/incense mixture, is simply terrible.

You'd better make up your mind on Christmas Eve. Either for a beautiful, mythical, coherent incense ("Gucci I", "Epic Man") or correspondingly aesthetic myrrh ("Myrrhe Imperial") or at the end for something cosy and comfortable ("Grand Soir"). With this Etro, the festival could be a belly landing.

L'Infini
The beauty of magic is there is no definition for it.
Easier to say what it is not: There is no burden, no guilt, no heaviness.
There is light, air, history without regrets and maybe an infinite future, which is already here around us.

Wonderful job to have put all this in a bottle.

Natural smelling myrrh
Messe de Minuit is around for 20 years, but I just recently had the pleasure in trying it, and I'm immediately sold. This is an awesome myrrh fragrance.

The first spray felt almost like liquorice, but in such a nice perfumy way that I don't mind at all. After that it settles down into a most lovely myrrh fragrance which is complemented by the other notes such as citrus. It feels churchy, but in a diluted way. It doesn't remind me of christmas or basements like it does to other reviewers. Not musty at all to my nose. It's just an amazing fragrance that does remind me of churches and is somewhat gloomy, but makes me happy at the same time. I love it.

Longevity and sillage are medium in my second take of the Eau the Cologne version.

Incensed Memories
Is there a path to one’s holy grail in perfumery? And why did I feel incense notes would drive me closer?

Perfumes with that incense related notes have awaken inside me lost memories: with Comme Des Garçons’s Kyoto I revisited images of playing when a kid alone in the company of cypresses, some smoke being felt in the distance coming from my family home, in an ending winter wet sunday. Or got me to an altered state of mind: L’Artisan’s Timbuktu transported me to the future - my place of desire, the mythic Timbuktu, where I want to be one day. So, past and future can appear in my present just by picking my scent of the day.

But, the ultimate incensed experience came with Etro’s Messe de Minuit. The name "Messe de Minuit" had all to be a devastating crush in the longing and missing memories of my childhood: family in christmas excursion to church at midnight. Our church always was presenting that time the sculpted Machado de Castro*’s Nativity Scene…And when I sprayed the first drops on my neck and wrists, I was not prepared to the overwhelm I fell afterwards. It was the first time I felt closer to perfection in perfumery, this meaning in a rush being in the past, meditation break, traveling to a place of interior regrets, and nostalgia of the forever lost innocence.

Just perfumes, but not only perfumes. Memories that we carry with us, most of the time sleeping inside our sub-conscient, should be awakened or should be left in quiet peace and forgotten?

Patchouli perfection. Nothing more to say now.

*Machado de castro was a portuguese sculptor in the 18th century.

Oriental deliciousness
Incense, amber, patchouli and myrrh are some of my favourite notes. I'm a sucker for anything dense, woody, spicy or resinous. Messe de Minuit was predestined to become part of my collection.

Where I live, the Winter months are cold, windy and rather dull. Heavy orientals tend to provide the warmth that I crave and desire during this season. A direct translation of Messe de Minuit is midnight mass. Okay, forgive me Christians, but this fragrance isn't religious or 'churchy' to my nose whatsoever. It's an exotic blend of spices and resinous woods, with a drizzle of honey. I would wear this fragrance through the gates of hell or even to entice my lover on a night where passion was particularly desirable.

A unisex fragrance, it is indeed. I dare say a man would smell intoxicating while wearing Messe de Minuit. I probably wouldn't be able to tear myself away from him. But mind you, it's hard to resist myself sometimes in this beautiful elixir. Animalistic is another great word used to describe Messe de Minuit's magic.

It is so deliciously spicy on my skin, that it leans occasionally towards being a gourmand. It smells almost as good as a Christmas cake laced with rum and raisins. Actually many reviewers have noted its somewhat 'Christmasey' feel.

I'm loving Messe de Minuit, and it's only my first day of wearing it. The longevity is superb, as is the sillage, and on that note, please apply this fragrance sparingly as it does sit on the skin rather strongly. I've always wanted to explore the Etro range, but I've left it rather late. I'm glad we're getting acquainted now.

SamuelGustavSamuelGustav 4 months ago
(3º formulation) What a beautiful rich complex exploration of Myrrh, very resinous, incense, spicy and a touch fruity but yet dark

by JoHannes
by Arioch
by CountZero
by CountZero

Popular Etro

ManRose by Etro Vicolo Fiori (Eau de Parfum) by Etro Shaal Nur by Etro Musk (Eau de Parfum) by Etro Ambra (Eau de Toilette) by Etro Palais Jamais by Etro Vicolo Fiori (Eau de Toilette) by Etro Rajasthan by Etro Patchouly (Eau de Parfum) by Etro Paisley by Etro Heliotrope (Eau de Toilette) by Etro Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Etro Etra by Etro Greene Street by Etro Via Verri (2010) by Etro Dianthus by Etro Patchouly (Eau de Toilette) by Etro Via Verri by Etro Jacquard by Etro New Tradition (Eau de Toilette) by Etro