Messe de Minuit (1994) Eau de Toilette

Messe de Minuit (Eau de Toilette) by Etro

Messe de Minuit (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Etro for women and men and was released in 1994. The scent is spicy-smoky. The production was apparently discontinued.

Jacques Flori

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Orange, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouli, Lemon petitgrain, Ceylonese cinnamon, Rose, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesLabdanum, Musk, Myrrh

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 09.11.2019

6.0 7.0 7.0 3.0/10

FabianO
Aggressive, cocoa-phonic scissors - biting sour lemon meets cool-scratchy incense
Possibly one must wait really with it, until 24.12. is, in order to be able to apply "fair de Minuit" adequately. But even then, Catholicism is also an obligatory part of this, as is the tolerance of its fellow men to approve of this quite unwieldy Etro scent in its immediate vicinity at the Feast of Feasts.

I mean, there are quite a lot of conditions to fulfill and I still smile about the total teardown of CdG below, already 8 years old, which brings the pissed off parsonage toilet into play.

No, something doesn't fit together at all here, and I mean it's the brute spreading of aromas that "Messe de Minuit" does to you.

That incense and myrrh must occur at Christmas - good, given. Cinnamon still sticking to your fingers, left over from afternoon gingerbread food? Also within the framework of the Reellen.

But what these piercing, crosswise lemony, orange notes are supposed to do is not clear to me.
It bites itself blatantly with the sacred smokiness and, in combination with the somewhat stony coldness of the smoke aromas, actually has something bizarre about it, which Klostein evokes as an association, and indeed "on the spot", somewhere between two central doors, the fair incense blowing in - the WC vapours wafting out, strongly mixed with these citric, cutting cleaner aromas.

No, even after an hour it doesn't get better, but the energetic, sour, woven through with the cool scratchy myrrh/incense mixture, is simply terrible.

You'd better make up your mind on Christmas Eve. Either for a beautiful, mythical, coherent incense ("Gucci I", "Epic Man") or correspondingly aesthetic myrrh ("Myrrhe Imperial") or at the end for something cosy and comfortable ("Grand Soir"). With this Etro, the festival could be a belly landing.
8.0 8.0 8.0 9.5/10

L'Infini
The beauty of magic is there is no definition for it.
Easier to say what it is not: There is no burden, no guilt, no heaviness.
There is light, air, history without regrets and maybe an infinite future, which is already here around us.

Wonderful job to have put all this in a bottle.
7.5/10

Natural smelling myrrh
Messe de Minuit is around for 20 years, but I just recently had the pleasure in trying it, and I'm immediately sold. This is an awesome myrrh fragrance.

The first spray felt almost like liquorice, but in such a nice perfumy way that I don't mind at all. After that it settles down into a most lovely myrrh fragrance which is complemented by the other notes such as citrus. It feels churchy, but in a diluted way. It doesn't remind me of christmas or basements like it does to other reviewers. Not musty at all to my nose. It's just an amazing fragrance that does remind me of churches and is somewhat gloomy, but makes me happy at the same time. I love it.

Longevity and sillage are medium in my second take of the Eau the Cologne version.
7.5 7.5 9.0/10

Incensed Memories
Is there a path to one’s holy grail in perfumery? And why did I feel incense notes would drive me closer?

Perfumes with that incense related notes have awaken inside me lost memories: with Comme Des Garçons’s Kyoto I revisited images of playing when a kid alone in the company of cypresses, some smoke being felt in the distance coming from my family home, in an ending winter wet sunday. Or got me to an altered state of mind: L’Artisan’s Timbuktu transported me to the future - my place of desire, the mythic Timbuktu, where I want to be one day. So, past and future can appear in my present just by picking my scent of the day.

But, the ultimate incensed experience came with Etro’s Messe de Minuit. The name "Messe de Minuit" had all to be a devastating crush in the longing and missing memories of my childhood: family in christmas excursion to church at midnight. Our church always was presenting that time the sculpted Machado de Castro*’s Nativity Scene…And when I sprayed the first drops on my neck and wrists, I was not prepared to the overwhelm I fell afterwards. It was the first time I felt closer to perfection in perfumery, this meaning in a rush being in the past, meditation break, traveling to a place of interior regrets, and nostalgia of the forever lost innocence.

Just perfumes, but not only perfumes. Memories that we carry with us, most of the time sleeping inside our sub-conscient, should be awakened or should be left in quiet peace and forgotten?

Patchouli perfection. Nothing more to say now.

*Machado de castro was a portuguese sculptor in the 18th century.
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Oriental deliciousness
Incense, amber, patchouli and myrrh are some of my favourite notes. I'm a sucker for anything dense, woody, spicy or resinous. Messe de Minuit was predestined to become part of my collection.

Where I live, the Winter months are cold, windy and rather dull. Heavy orientals tend to provide the warmth that I crave and desire during this season. A direct translation of Messe de Minuit is midnight mass. Okay, forgive me Christians, but this fragrance isn't religious or 'churchy' to my nose whatsoever. It's an exotic blend of spices and resinous woods, with a drizzle of honey. I would wear this fragrance through the gates of hell or even to entice my lover on a night where passion was particularly desirable.

A unisex fragrance, it is indeed. I dare say a man would smell intoxicating while wearing Messe de Minuit. I probably wouldn't be able to tear myself away from him. But mind you, it's hard to resist myself sometimes in this beautiful elixir. Animalistic is another great word used to describe Messe de Minuit's magic.

It is so deliciously spicy on my skin, that it leans occasionally towards being a gourmand. It smells almost as good as a Christmas cake laced with rum and raisins. Actually many reviewers have noted its somewhat 'Christmasey' feel.

I'm loving Messe de Minuit, and it's only my first day of wearing it. The longevity is superb, as is the sillage, and on that note, please apply this fragrance sparingly as it does sit on the skin rather strongly. I've always wanted to explore the Etro range, but I've left it rather late. I'm glad we're getting acquainted now.

by Sonnenblume
by Perdita666
by CountZero
by CountZero

Popular Etro

Heliotrope (Eau de Toilette) by Etro Rajasthan by Etro Vicolo Fiori (Eau de Toilette) by Etro Messe de Minuit (Eau de Toilette) by Etro Shaal Nur by Etro Etra by Etro Paisley by Etro Patchouly (Eau de Toilette) by Etro Ambra (Eau de Toilette) by Etro Magot by Etro Lemon Sorbet (Eau de Toilette) by Etro Vicolo Fiori (Eau de Parfum) by Etro Sandalo (Eau de Toilette) by Etro Palais Jamais by Etro Dianthus by Etro Jacquard by Etro Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Etro Musk (Eau de Toilette) by Etro Via Verri (2010) by Etro Pegaso by Etro