Life Essence (1996) Eau de Toilette

Life Essence (Eau de Toilette) by Fendi
Bottle Design: Catherine Krunas

Life Essence (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Fendi for men and was released in 1996. The scent is spicy-woody. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Geranium, Cardamom, Cedar
Heart Notes Heart NotesCoriander leaf, Laurel
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Labdanum, Olive wood, Cypress wood

Submitted by Kittycat, last update on 28.08.2019

Mediterranean keeper
Life Essence by Fendi is totally intriguing forgotten gem. It’s basically an understated, totally “Italian” citrus-woody scent, but with a creative sort of “rural-wine” twist. And by wine I both mean the smell of wine (I guess the fruity note here), and of wood corks. The woody accord here isn’t played on the “usual” vetiver/cedar and/or sandalwood combo, but it smells rather more “greenish”, sharp, astringent, sour and dry, pretty much like raw cypress wood or oak. I get cedar too, but well concealed among other more prominent woods. That, soaked in wine then left on the balcony drying under the afternoon sun, the smell blending with the herbal aroma of cypresses and olive trees. Imagine this, topped with a soothing and slightly creamy accord of citrus, bergamot, carnation, amber, pepper. And something salty-musky underneath (maybe just side-nuances of woods). A bright, tart, kind of sour but also extremely soothing Mediterranean woody scent cleverly conveying a “countryside” feel; nothing wild or rural, rather the smell of some of those luxury “shabby chic” country resorts with their wine cellars. Natural yet sophisticated, really enjoyable to wear, classy and radiant; linear and poorly persistent, but that is what you would expect given most of the notes. A nice discontinued keeper, nothing groundbreaking and surely unworthy high prices, but still good.

7,5/10
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Heartbreakingly beautiful ...
A dramatic title for a review of what is little more than a 'cologne-like' fragrance from the mid 90's, now fallen into obscurity and discontinuation. Life Essence for me, however, was one of those 'holy grail' fragrances, because it was truly love at first sniff.

This fragrance defines a time in my life when I felt as if I was finally shedding the irresponsibilities of youth and getting my act together. It felt as if life had a direction and a purpose ... and the name of this fragrance simply added to that feeling.
Life Essence opens vigorously ... fresh, green and completely uplifting. It has a 'what a way to start the day' resonance with its touch of spice, but the best thing about this fragrance is the beautiful Cedar note that is evident right from the beginning and continues all the way into the lengthy dry down.
There are other woods present here too, but I am not at all well versed in picking things like Laurel, Olive and Cypress out individually. I rather imagine them to be sweetening the Cedar, obliterating any trace of the pencil shavings sometimes related to this note.
I'm really not sure when the restrictions against Oakmoss began, but I am pretty certain that this fragrance found its demise because of those regulations. The last dwindling bottle I have is from the late 90's, (I stockpiled a few after it started becoming difficult to find) and I am pretty sure that the moss here is unadulterated ... albeit in very small concentration. I find its presence simply supportive ... the slight resinous-ness of the Labdanum too.
Now, in the beginning of this review I called this fragrance 'cologne-like', and while that's true of the way it smells, the performance of Life Essence is simply astounding ... it has a tenacity of at least 8 hours on my skin, with enough sillage that people three or four feet away have complimented me repeatedly on how great I smell when wearing this.

I cannot help but give this fragrance a 100% rating. I feel that its discovery was a milestone in my journey through the wonderful world of smell!!

by Icufish
by Undsoweiter
by Michael
by Michael

Popular Fendi

Fan di Fendi pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Fendi Theorema (Eau de Parfum) by Fendi Fendi (Eau de Toilette) by Fendi Asja (Eau de Toilette) by Fendi Palazzo (Eau de Parfum) by Fendi Fan di Fendi pour Homme Assoluto by Fendi Fendi Uomo (Eau de Toilette) by Fendi Fan di Fendi (Eau de Parfum) by Fendi Fan di Fendi Extrême by Fendi L'Acquarossa Elixir by Fendi Life Essence (Eau de Toilette) by Fendi Furiosa by Fendi Fan di Fendi pour Homme Acqua by Fendi L'Acquarossa (Eau de Parfum) by Fendi Fan di Fendi (Eau de Toilette) by Fendi Fan di Fendi Eau Fraîche by Fendi Theorema Uomo (Eau de Toilette) by Fendi Fantasia by Fendi Theorema Esprit d'Été by Fendi Fan di Fendi Leather Essence by Fendi