Elite (1979) Eau de Toilette

Elite (Eau de Toilette) by Floris

Elite (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Floris for men and was released in 1979. The scent is woody-spicy. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Cedar leaf, Grapefruit, Juniper berry, Lemon, Petitgrain
Heart Notes Heart NotesLaurel, Fir balsam, Lavender
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Cedarwood, Leather, Moss, Musk, Patchouli, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 11.07.2019

10.0 6.0 8.0 8.5/10

Ye olde Gin-Head
After I recently approached an old citrus moss decentling cedar with classic status with Pitralon, I thought to myself today: Why not even discuss an increased (according to the fragrance pyramid), expanded daddy of this topic? And even though "Elite" was launched on the threshold of the eighties, the name of the venerable house of Floris alone makes it claim to be a classic - even if hardly anyone should know it on the street.

After the first seconds, an ethereal, citric freshness does indeed unfold on the skin. Essential? Yeah, almost schnapps, actually. The juniper releases fine, English gin aromas, only of the citric variety. Think of Tanqueray No. Ten. Very pleasant, understated and not at all comparable with the many, nowadays so popular "boozy" notes, which make you smell as if you had covered yourself with rum and cola at the village fair. Here the alcohol is spiritualized and (in relation to the wearer) spiritualizing. It was not for nothing that an Austrian novelist described Gin as the "basically most sensible drink"... It gets herbaceous after that. The juniper spirit transparency blends conifer, but not so much the cedar, but something darker. Is it the fir balsam listed? Maybe. Lavender is also clearly noticeable, but noticeably more powerful and harsher than in Caron pour un homme, for example; this will probably be the pointier British breed.

In contrast to the discreetly tidied up (and as an aftershave of course much weaker concentrated) pitralon, the base can already be seen in the heart note: Amber, patchouli and especially vetiver already provide strong support without pushing forward. They place the fragrance on a broad, thoroughly radiant foundation, so that the actually quite ephemeral reading components of the head and heart note still play a comparatively long role. The basic ethereal character alone is increasingly being replaced by a sense of soapy. At the same time, the fragrance becomes significantly "older". At least in relation to the presented carrier. In my opinion, most of the "gentleman scents" I have discussed on these pages can be presented to particularly distinguished people in their twenties. Definitely in the 1930s. In most cases, I even consider age specifications for fragrances to be ridiculous to annoying, because they do not take the wearer seriously as an individual with the possibility of a biography. In my opinion, the dark herbaceousness (which in me personally even evokes the association of something wilted floral), which is almost tarry in the course of the fragrance, demands a corresponding arriviosity of the wearer, which the noble juvenile desire for posture and distinction alone cannot fulfil. I'm afraid "elite" simply means years. And sitting here in front of the laptop and smelling at the back of my hand, I don't know if I have exceeded this imaginary threshold at the beginning to middle of 30. Even if I put another pair of welted Oxfords in my shoe cabinet. What trouble!
7.5 10.0 10.0/10

I wonder
In Germany a lot of poeple have a problem with the name "Elite". This is of course caused by our history and out of this by the spirit of the 68th. And this causes that they merly reduce and asscociate "Elite" to a scents for Lords and the sterotyped English Gentlemen. And that's what it smells like to them, their olfactory sense is pasted up with prejustices.
For me "Elite" is a modern nevertheless traditional perfum.
But I wonder if my olfactory sense does not deceive me as well. First "Elite" is a masculine scent. But for me it is an unisex fragance.
Shure at first is arising a tangy citrous scent, coniferous and juniper berries. But not too strong and unbearable for me. Yes, there migt be bay-leave scent. I am identifying especially a fine and suble lavender. I recognize the wonderfull bitter scent of oakmoss. The woody touch of "Elite" and the resin and spicy notes are not going to conceal for me. But for me there is also after several tests undoubtedly a clear scent of r'oud. I can't help it. I wonder if "Elite" is fooling me. I just like this a r'oud note which is more or less medicated. "Elite" is, if my perception is not fooling me, one of the perfums with r'oud and without flowers especially roses, which I like very much and which I want not to vanisch from my skin. I wonder whether there are some more flower notes addes than lavender? "Elite" is lasting for more then 10 hours on my skin. It is alway keeping this blend. Then it is fading out becoming a little more gentle. "Elite" is amazing me.
5.0 5.0 7.5 7.0/10

Drseid
Under-rated Old-School Woody Scent From Floris...
To me Elite is a great woody scent with a bit of masculine floral thrown in. It is perfect for wearing in the fall in particular. The only thing that mars it a bit with respect to general acceptance is I get a medicinal undertone throughout whenever I wear it. As such, it has a more "mature" vibe, so it probably will appeal more to the 30+ year old crowd (a group I am admittedly in). Still, while not anywhere near a perfect scent, it definitely is a good one that is worth a try and is recommended with a rating of 3.5 stars out of 5.
7.5 5.0 7.5 9.0/10

Elegant & Classic!
Usually I do not like Lavender! However, "Floris-Elite" made me love it so much. Very good cologne for real gentleman. I believe it is one of the best classic colognes out there! Also I highly recommend "Floris- No 89" ! Very English cologne indeed.

KingPin 19 days ago
Old school British scent. A bit too smokey, rich and cloying to me. JF from Floris is a better option in the genre in my opinon.
5.0

by Somebody
by skanvidou
by skanvidou

Popular Floris

White Rose (Eau de Parfum) by Floris Elite (Eau de Toilette) by Floris JF (Eau de Toilette) by Floris Honey Oud by Floris No. 89 (Eau de Toilette) by Floris Santal / Eau de Santal (Eau de Toilette) by Floris Night Scented Jasmine (Eau de Parfum) by Floris Leather Oud by Floris White Rose (Eau de Toilette) by Floris Mahon Leather by Floris Cefiro (Eau de Parfum) by Floris Wedding Bouquet (2011) by Floris Fleur by Floris Bouquet de la Reine (Eau de Parfum) by Floris Lily of the Valley by Floris Amaryllis by Floris Seringa (Eau de Parfum) by Floris Soulle Ámbar by Floris China Rose by Floris Limes by Floris