Special No. 127
Original Gentlemen's Cologne

Special No. 127 / Original Gentlemen's Cologne by Floris
7.6 / 10 54 Ratings
Special No. 127 is a popular perfume by Floris for women and men and was released in 1890. The scent is floral-fresh. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top Notes BergamotBergamot LavenderLavender OrangeOrange PetitgrainPetitgrain
Heart Notes Heart Notes GeraniumGeranium Orange blossomOrange blossom RoseRose Ylang-ylangYlang-ylang
Base Notes Base Notes MuskMusk PatchouliPatchouli
Submitted by Muenchner, last update on 01.12.2022.
The scent is said to be created specially for the Russian grand duke Orloff - then called "Orloff Special" - and later added to the Floris Collection. It was renamed according to the book page that containted its recipe.
A special edition of the scent was handed out to British Airways First Class passengers under the title "Original Gentlemen's Cologne" about 20 years ago.

3 in-depth fragrance descriptions

Top Review 15
No. 127 lives
For a long time I thought about whether I should really tell how I got my copy. But since every fragrance purchase has its own little story, I don't want to withhold this one. About a year ago, I discovered a three-quarter full bottle of Floris No. 127 at a flea market with a, let's say, mature woman who was just selling some valuable household items. It was early in the morning - so there wasn't much going on yet and the flawless bottle wasn't standing in the blazing July sun - and after a short test I was able to call the fragrance my own for just eight euros.

Actually, I was toying with the idea of either selling it at a profit or exchanging it for another valuable perfume. But in the course of time I had to sniff the sprayer again and again and finally came to the decision to keep it and use it the following summer.

The current summer 2020 is now different as usual and planned, but I still enjoy my No. 127, which recently convinced me to use it myself with this concentrated top note of tart orange, petitgrain and bergamot with that typical English lavender touch. Beautifully classic and valuable, as if you were drinking your Earl Grey on a summer's day in a shady spot in the garden.
All around, lavender, rose geranium and ylang-ylang are in bloom, their scent carried by a refreshing breeze that subtly wafts into the nose.
A little later the fruit impressions fade away, but what remains is this noble, soapy presence with a touch of patchouli.

The fascinating thing about No. 127 is this simultaneous refreshment of the spirits with orange and petitgrain as well as the calming effect of the softly soapy lavender-rose-ylang-ylang combination. Especially in this quality and intensity without appearing overexcited. Even if the projection goes down again relatively quickly, the shelf life remains loose at 8 hours.

Now one could of course ask oneself how authentic the current version is compared to 1890, a good 130 years ago. I do think they have reformulated it quite a bit, but the eau de toilette still looks as classic as it does contemporary. There's no question about it: a lively fragrance for gentlemen, but one that seems more suitable for more mature semesters with a sense of nostalgia and poetry.
Helpful Review 3
Oh God, Floris got me!
The more Floris scents find their way into my nose, the more I like them. I got this scent as bottling (for my husband). I don't know yet if I'd like to give it to him at all :-) Love at first sniff, so to speak. The perfect fine spring and summer fragrance. Not too loud, pleasantly citric, juicy fruity with a wonderfully soft wood-herb base. Bergamot/Orange and rose geranium get through well with me. Patchouli later. For me a very great and not everyday fragrance.

Farina
"Special No. 127" remembers me to EdC like "Farina gegenüber" and "4711". Especially with the top notes. The Bergamot and the petitgrain are causing a tangy citrous impression. The orange is stressing the similarity to the mentioned frangances. Nevertheless this scent is fine composed with best ingredients. Unfortunately my personally memories - which I will not describe now - do not allow to like the top notes of "Special No. 127.
After a certain time the rose and ylang ylang are trying to change "Special No. 127" into a more florish scent. But the Neroli and the harsh top notes together with the lavender do not let them coming out clearly.
Instead of a full scented fragance there is appearing an aquatic note which is calming down the harsh and dominating citrus. At least "Special No. 127 is changing into a more soapy scent. And yet the musk and patchouli are supporting the clean touch. If I am not mistaking with my perceiving: There might be a touch of jasmine? I consider "Special No. 127" not as an innovation of perfume. It is a traditional cologne carefully created and first class despite of my negativ memories.

1 short view on the fragrance
RazvanykeRazvanyke 8 months ago
Smells more "gentleman" like than the 89, Churchill liked it during the war times and he wasn´t a youngster anymore. Similar to Colonia ADP.

Pie Chart Radar Chart

Images

10 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by Floris

White Rose (Eau de Toilette) by Floris Honey Oud by Floris Leather Oud by Floris 1976 by Floris Elite (Eau de Toilette) by Floris White Rose (Eau de Parfum) by Floris Cherry Blossom (Eau de Parfum) by Floris Bouquet de la Reine (Eau de Toilette) by Floris Lily of the Valley by Floris No. 89 (Eau de Toilette) by Floris Bouquet de la Reine (Eau de Parfum) by Floris Santal / Eau de Santal (Eau de Toilette) by Floris Limes by Floris Vetiver by Floris Chypress by Floris Amaryllis by Floris 1962 by Floris Night Scented Jasmine (Eau de Parfum) by Floris Soulle Ámbar by Floris Red Rose by Floris