Privé Collection - Sahraa Oud (2014)

Privé Collection - Sahraa Oud by Fragrance Du Bois

Privé Collection - Sahraa Oud is a popular limited perfume by Fragrance Du Bois for women and men and was released in 2014. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production. Limited Edition

Top Notes Top NotesGrapefruit
Heart Notes Heart NotesRose absolute, Geranium, Jasmine, Patchouli
Base Notes Base NotesBlack pepper, Sandalwood, Saffron, Vanilla, Amber, Oud

Submitted by jakdelind, last update on 01.06.2020.

GewoonBB
Most Expensive, but worth it? (NKNN)
I finally got to try some Fragrance Du Bois and I'm starting with the one that drew me to the brand in the first place, Sahraa Oud.

A quick disclaimer. Fragrance Du Bois were so kind as to send me a sample set and additional samples free of charge. That doesn't mean that this is sponsored though, all thoughts are my own.

Sahraa Oud is the only one I've tried so far, but I also have samples for Oud Rose, Oud Jaune, Oud Bleu, Oud Orange, Oud Noir & London Oud, so I have reviews of those coming up in the future.

Where do I start with Sahraa...I was kind of afraid that the oud would be too strong, too animalic or barnyardy for my taste, but it is perfect. In the first couple of minutes, when smelled up close, it has that challenging edge, but that's about it...from a distance or once it starts to settle down, this oud is silky smooth and it blends in perfectly with the sandalwood. The opening is nice and bright with a juicy grapefruit note, that does fade really quicky, or at least the freshness is. And it wasn't until then that I picked up on the rose. The rose here is really subdued. Now I'm not a connoisseur when it comes to geranium, but I feel that it's more prominent here. There's an overal soft, sweet floral touch with patchoulli and vanilla. I don't get much of the pepper, because, usually pepper adds some sharpness and this is completely smooth.

It starts off relatively fresh and becomes warmer and warmer, the amber really plays a big role in the composition and so does the saffron in the base. I'd say this comes close to becoming a full fledged gourmand scent for me with how sweet it is. It's almost a honey like sweetness and I get a hint of almond. It's very smooth from start to finish, but it goes from ever so slightly powdery to more syrupy.

I haven't smelled many fragrances that are similar in style. The closest would be L'Air Du Desert Marocain, which I have only smelled on paper twice and I found it too complex to make up my mind about it in that manner. I feel Sahraa is probably easier to digest and appreciate. I was blown away from the moment that I smelled it and maybe knowing how much this costs tricks the mind, but I can't help but feel that it's the highest quality and best blended fragrance that I've come across so far. It comes at a price; this is roughly 460€ for the 50ml and a staggering 800+ for the 100ml, which is 3x as expensive as the most expensive fragrance that I currently own, Portrait Of A Lady by Frederic Malle. Obviously a purchase like this isn't aimed at your average consumer, and from where I'm at, I can't say anything about it justifying the price; I look at a fragrance like this, the same way I look at an artwork or a supercar. If you're a collector or a fragrance lover that has the money or wants something for a really special occassion, this is definitely the type of fragrance that could be worth it. I can tell you for a fact that if I'd win a lottery tommorow, I'm ordering Sahraa Oud first thing in the morning, it's that good •

Amber Blast...
Sahraa Oud opens with no top notes to speak of, starting its development with its heart. During the early heart a slightly medicinal, gauze-like real oud takes the fore with natural smelling saffron spice and soft slightly aromatic patchouli, as supporting amber rising from the base adds additional depth to the spiced oud. During the late dry-down the amber takes the fore in a very big way, dominating the composition as the oud vacates, leaving remnants of the saffron spice and patchouli to join slightly sweet sandalwood in support through the finish. Projection is outstanding and longevity excellent at around 12 hours on skin.

I can't tell you how much I was looking forward to trying this one and fully expected to love it, but alas, I find the composition highly disappointing. The real oud is presented to show its more gauze-like facet as opposed to the barnyard animalics that usually scare away many (including this writer). To that, I was pleasantly surprised. It really isn't the oud that sinks Sahraa Oud, but rather it is the amber. At first, the amber in its supporting role is only mildly annoying, nothing to warrant panning the composition over surely. Unfortunately, it quickly builds over time to where on skin it dominates to the point of obscuring nearly everything else, and it really starts to wear one down, approaching scrubber territory. The soft supporting patchouli and slightly sweet sandalwood don’t help the composition's cause either as the two meld into the amber, giving it an odd, sweet, almost creamy facet that only broadcasts its dominance further. All-in-all, while this writer openly admits to not being an oud or amber fanatic, I do enjoy many fine compositions that contain both ingredients together or independently. Sahraa Oud, however, will not be joining that list. The bottom line is the $745 per 100ml bottle Sahraa Oud has some expensive ingredients within, only to waste them in what amounts to an "amber blast," earning a "poor" 2 stars out of 5 rating and an avoid recommendation.

Stardust
Magnificent sweet amber end finest european oud, with a good projection. I do not recomand this for those hardcore oud connoisseurs, because has a mass appealing character. If you enjoy Roja - Amber Oud, they are in same genre!
SpeedDating #04/4: Sahraa - modern & oriental
Sahraa Oud! So here it is, the Rose-Oud of the house! Nevertheless classic, citrus and a delicate note of lavender radiates a clearly fresh component right from the start. It is astonishing how long this remains in the course and gives the otherwise so heavy composition a great lightness. A rather medicinal camphor-like oud, patchouli and gently ambried-gourmand notes determine the warm woody side, while light fruity notes and jasmine loosen up and sweetly accentuate the fresh side.

The fragrance is reminiscent of a classic mukhallat combination, but without losing the splits to the occident. Quite clear, mildly spicy yellow saffron is exceptionally well integrated, appears warm and powerful, plays with the spicy-fresh side and provides a great Rose-Oud interpretation for all those who find'Oud Stars - Fars' too smooth.

MrFumejunkieMrFumejunkie 10 months ago
A sweet-fruity rose with a vague, barely there oud note that's gone in 60sec. MEH. FDB getting into Roja Dove's territory, loved by the bros
SamuelGustavSamuelGustav 11 months ago
One of the few that may indeed have some natural oud. But something is unbalanced here to my nose
OdysseusOdysseus 3 years ago
Beautiful fragrance; a masterpiece. However, on my skin, it makes TF's Oud Wood seem like a beast mode scent. Sahraa Oud is gone in 1-2 hrs.

Popular Fragrance Du Bois

Privé Collection - Oud Noir Intense by Fragrance Du Bois Santal Complet (Eau de Parfum) by Fragrance Du Bois Oud Rouge Intense by Fragrance Du Bois Oud Vert Intense by Fragrance Du Bois Amber Intense / Oud Amber Intense by Fragrance Du Bois Pétales de Cashmere (Eau de Parfum) by Fragrance Du Bois Brume du Matin (Eau de Parfum) by Fragrance Du Bois Oud Orange Intense (Eau de Parfum) by Fragrance Du Bois Privé Collection - Parisian Oud by Fragrance Du Bois Oud Bleu Intense by Fragrance Du Bois Oud Violet Intense by Fragrance Du Bois Oud Rose Intense (Eau de Parfum) by Fragrance Du Bois Privé Collection - London Oud by Fragrance Du Bois Oud Jaune Intense (Eau de Parfum) by Fragrance Du Bois Zest Marin (Eau de Parfum) by Fragrance Du Bois Patchouli Argent (Eau de Parfum) by Fragrance Du Bois Siberian Rose by Fragrance Du Bois New York 5th Avenue by Fragrance Du Bois Baie Rose (Eau de Parfum) by Fragrance Du Bois Privé Collection - Héritage by Fragrance Du Bois