1697 (2011) Absolu de Parfum

1697 (Absolu de Parfum) by Frapin

1697 (Absolu de Parfum) is a limited perfume by Frapin for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is spicy-gourmand. The production was apparently discontinued. Limited Edition

Top Notes Top NotesDavana, Woods, Labdanum, Rose, Rum
Heart Notes Heart NotesClove, Jasmine, Rose, Dry fruits, Hawthorn, Ylang-ylang, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Labdanum, Patchouli, Tonka bean, Vanilla, White musk, Cedarwood

Submitted by Profumo, last update on 02.09.2019

The perfume was planned to be released in September 2010 under the name "Les Ailes Du Désir" ("Wings of Desire"). However, this was the French title of the Wim Wenders movie "Der Himmel über Berlin" from 1987. So, another name had to be chosen, the launch postponed.

7.5 5.0 7.5 7.0/10

Mushrooms in Cognac Over Dried Fruits with Rose Petals
Sounds like something from a competitive cooking show on the 'Food Network' requiring the masterful co-mingling of odd food items from a 'mystery foods basket', Nay? I wish that I could interpret this scent differently, but the first thing and the last thing to hit me from Frapin's 1697 is mushrooms, specifically wild white truffles. I even went to my collection of reference aromas for wine appreciation and pulled out "Les Defaults" (the faults of wine) to find the reference mushroom smell...yep, dead on and centerstage for me. White truffles soaked in an Armagnac from Gascony and sprinkled with rose petals that have past their prime. Don't get me wrong, I love mushrooms, I seek out the most unusual non-poisonous edible mushrooms available and cook with the several times a week. Do I want to smell like them?...hmmmm...
Frapin's 1697 is definitely masculine leaning, and strikes me as a rich scent for a dapper dandy in Autumn. I imagine this mixed with the scent of "Burning Leaves" by CB I Hate Perfume or Sonoma Scent Studio "Fireside" or even CdG's "Wonderwood" as a marvelous combination. This is a boozy earthy place, deep in the woods were potent and pricey truffles are hidden beneath long forgotten wilted rose petals and dried fruit peels have been carelessly tossed by the frivolous and wicked birds of Summer.
2.5 5.0 5.0 6.0/10

Gold
Golden warmth and soft sensuality
Frapin 1697 has a lot in common with "Havanna Vanille" - many ingredients and the perfumer, Duchaufour. Although there is nothing wrong with "Frapin 1697", with its sweet and heady outpouring of vanilla, rum and raisins, it's not very original and reminds me of the above mentioned vanilla-scent Duchaufour did for L'Artisan Parfumeur - with added rum and dried fruits. The heart underlines the theme of "golden warmth" and amber and it reflects Duchaufour's fascination with light and transparent, yet sensual and warm scents. Very much an autumn and winter fragrance.
7.5 7.5 5.0/10

Reminds me of Rykiel Woman + Spirits
I've worn Frapin 1697 a couple of times now, and it invariably evokes memories of Sonia Rykiel RYKIEL WOMAN. It's not the boozy opening of 1697, which RYKIEL WOMAN lacks, but the later sensation of something like leather fruitcake. There is something about the dried fruits mingling here with the woods and spices which is reminding me of the odd date-leather complexion of RYKIEL WOMAN.

Frapin 1697 is a lot less flowery than RYKIEL WOMAN, which in a side-by-side comparison I realized that I rather like. I used to think that I did not really like RYKIEL WOMAN, that it was an acquired taste on my "yet to acquire" list. But I have to admit that I prefer the scent of that to this. My favorite part of 1697 is the boozy opening, but it is all too shortlived.

by PontNeuf
by PontNeuf
by Carlossp
by Carlossp
by Tar
by Tar

Popular Frapin

1270 by Frapin L'Humaniste by Frapin Caravelle Épicée by Frapin 1697 (Absolu de Parfum) by Frapin Terre de Sarment by Frapin Paradis Perdu by Frapin Passion Boisée by Frapin Speakeasy by Frapin Esprit de Fleurs by Frapin Nevermore by Frapin The Orchid Man by Frapin Isle of Man by Frapin 1697 (Eau de Parfum) by Frapin Laskarina by Frapin If by R.K. by Frapin