G-man (1971) Eau de Cologne

G-man (Eau de Cologne) by Gainsboro / Gainsborough

G-man (Eau de Cologne) is a popular perfume by Gainsboro / Gainsborough for men and was released in 1971. The scent is spicy-fresh. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Juvena.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Lavender, Clary sage, Neroli, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesAngelica, Geranium, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesLeather, Moss, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver

Submitted by Apicius, last update on 11.11.2019

7.0 8.0 9.0 8.0/10

The FBI... was also there
Late spring 1987, Saturday, weekend!

I woke up in the morning. Thinking of the evening. Anticipation ...!

What do I wear? Comfortable and airy. It's gonna be hot!
The fragrance must last a few hours, be fresh and last a long time.
The G-Man! The FBI has to go.

Sprayed on - Fresh bergamot reported the citrus note of the head. A few flowers made their claim! But the incense didn't care, his gang of leathery moss with patchouli, and Vetiver came to his aid. The flowers got scared and moved to the corner.
Just very shy, put one of his brains out.

Moschus appeared with sandalwood and had a calming effect on the gang and its leader. The flowers were relieved and left their corner. All loved each other and were outshined by a fine amber.

The day might come!

Late afternoon, Hanover, Niedersachsenstadion (that's what it used to be called). Mermaid, there with football!

..... The mood continued to rise, the crowd was thrilled and moved in rhythm.
Phil Collins raised his arms and did not want to continue until the last one stood on his legs. No problem ... All rose ... Genesis began with the first bars of 'Home by the Sea' ...

... Sometime even the most beautiful experience comes to an end ...

When I left the stadium, the FBI was still with me ...

The G-Man, still holding my hand today when I think of this concert.
9.0 9.0 9.0 9.0/10

Antidotte
Another "good" blind buy!
I like all frankincense scents and so I order again and again which of the ones in the fragrance pyramid frankincense. I put the fragrance in my shopping cart at Amazon last year but never ordered it.
"Accidentally" I ordered it now nevertheless and unfortunately also equal 2 times!
Then I put it on today before I went fishing.
I already had the déjà vu experience.
From somewhere I know this smell?!
Then at the lake, every time I opened my jacket or bent over, such a neat soap scent came out...and at some point it occurred to me, Aigner No 2!!!
Actually a very similar scent and I like the Aigner very much, so I also like this one, but you hardly notice anything about incense.
But since my Aigner is all there anyway, I'm happy to have a stock again, just in time for the beginning of spring.
They are similarly cheap, Aigner even a few euros cheaper.
Silage and durability are equally good, I like the G-Man bottle even better.
So, who likes soapy scents should access here....
8.0 8.0 8.0 9.0/10

Ingeniously simple from the 70s
No mainstream but a strong character from the 70s. A "Noble Hattric" I sometimes thought something was wrong. But the fragrance has much more depth, which you don't expect at the beginning. I always smell a fine and fresh soap that doesn't let up. The fragrance is very masculine and the shelf life is amazingly good. A fragrance for every season and every occasion but best applicable as a business fragrance.
7.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Vintage Rules
G- Man, always an uncompromisingly masculine fragrance.
Since I can think it is the signature scent of one of my uncles, it was also the only scent he possessed and still possesses today.
It's funny that this fragrance of all fragrances has not been reformulated noticeably to this day and is stubbornly on the market. But it doesn't surprise me, because G-man simply has his qualities. Whether it's the black violet bottle with golden writing that lies good and valuable in the hand, or the fragrance itself, for a man it's a must have!

Immediately after spraying, an extremely soapy bouquet unfolds, which has to sort itself. Shortly afterwards the other scents come to light, especially the dominating rose geranium, which comes to the fore here, but never seems to be exaggerated. I would have suspected carnation here, wondering why none is listed, probably this aroma comes from the interaction of the ingredients...
In the further course of the fragrance the musk and the sandalwood get through well, the two then also form the foundation. Here G-Man doesn't change much any more, but he thinks he's a cologne for a surprisingly long time on the skin and the Sillage is not bad for hours either.
To me, G-Man is a statement. After showering and shaving you feel very well cared for and completely comfortable!

His fragrance twin Aigner No.2 can't quite keep up here, even if it's not bad, so I still see G-Man at the top.

Should this fragrance be discontinued, I will buy myself a lifelong stock : )
9.0 9.0 9.0 8.5/10

Variations in Chypre
Or: changeable Wanderchypre one could call "G Man".
All the scents circle around a central point: the rose geranium, fresh pink and a little minty. Like the planets around the sun. In the "initial stage" of the fragrance, lavender and clary sage form a "double system" that approaches the rose geranium and then slowly drifts away again without staggering "out of space".
With it incense gains some momentum without racing by really fast. It approaches leisurely and remains clearly perceptible at a proper distance.
Yeah, I almost forgot the aldehyde. They strengthen the scent build-up, make it stable and long-lasting without gaining the dominant upper hand.
The ingredients typical for Chypres also feel at home in their "sphere".
The moss with its green "orbit", the patchouli, which reminds of the "earthly", the sandalwood and the vetyver get involved in the "carousel game" and move wave-like around the centre.
Musk is as important to "G. Man" as the moon is to Earth. It maintains the stability of the system and causes
fresh animalic tides.
Birch tar sends greetings from the dark universe. The whole does not only have its own movements circling around a center, it moves as a whole away into unknown vastness and depth.
I can already guess one thing, no, I know where it's going: to Chyprien. Many have been there before, some don't want to leave anymore. From this dazzlingly colorful world. And G.Man is a station on this hike through the perfume universe.

Discussions about G-man (Eau de Cologne)

Barolo in Miscellaneous

Wenn der G-Man seine Dienstmarke zeigt......
by Zora