Wellington (1876)Cologne

Wellington (Cologne) by Geo. F. Trumper

Wellington (Cologne) is a popular perfume by Geo. F. Trumper for men and was released in 1876. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Neroli, Orange, Rosemary, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesLily-of-the-valley, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesMusk

Submitted by Pazuzu, last update on 06.12.2019.

10.0 7.5 7.5 9.0/10

Birmingham, December 7, 1921
Gentlemen,
the Empire, as you know, was built on the basis of self-breeding, endurance, adaptability and foresight.
Men who had bold visions and implemented them against all odds made Britain great.
It is this attitude that true men are diligent about, even in the lowlands of ordinary, often gray or even ugly everyday life.

When I was born in Small Heath, Birmingham, it was nothing but a dirty place full of lost souls. Drunkenness, violence, dirt and bitter poverty ...
I was determined not to spend my life in this place.
Self-discipline was the key, hardness the remedy. Whoever wants to ascend, whoever wants to leave behind the lowlands of his own origin, must not hesitate, must not be undecided.

Social advancement is inevitably linked to learning the rules of a higher class and adapting to these rules. This applies to manners, this applies above all to clothing and this applies to all those seemingly unimportant details that tell the expert whether one belongs to them or not ...
It would be a faux pas not to wear a stylish suit like a gentleman would.
It would be just as much of a faux pas if the gentleman did not know how to use the appropriate accessories, such as an appropriate pocket watch, a high-quality tie or a matching pochette But that is not all - in all these things that need to be considered, tradition must also be satisfied.
As a gentleman, you have a duty to radiate inconspicuous elegance, and that includes a subtle, pleasant fragrance.

In London, where I was a few days ago, I was recommended such a fragrance in an exclusive barber shop on Curzon Street. I was presented with a bottle of classic beauty that awakened certain expectations in me.
These expectations were met.

A light, refreshing hint of a citrus bouquet opens, only to be immediately complemented by a clean, tart and almost soapy note, framed by a subtle rose.
Rosemary and thyme, I was told, would best tame the southern embers of bitter oranges.
I perceived this fragrance as quite masculine, it is, as I may assure you, without any sweetness.
He also lacks the alcoholic spiciness that so obtrusively pushes into the foreground in cheap products.
Pleasant also the extremely long durability of the cooling freshness, by which this smell distinguishes itself. Even hours after the first application you can still enjoy the respectable depth, which is nevertheless of exceptional decency.
A woody note is added, which is nevertheless reserved, very distinguished in appearance.
With this fragrance alone, the tradition I have already mentioned is shown the respect it deserves by the fact that it was already created in 1876 by court supplier Geo F. Trumper.
It is a fragrance that, with its name and its discipated coolness, stands like no other for everything that has made Britain great.

I may add that even my impetuous brother Arthur couldn't help congratulating me on choosing this fragrance.
I take the liberty, therefore, to recommend the Wellington Cologne to you, gentlemen.

Your very devoted
Thomas Shelby
10.0 5.0 8.0 9.0/10

NotAmused
With umbrella, charm and lemon
Now that I have found the currently still available old scents from Geo. F. Trumper, I would also like to write something about everyone. I preferred Eucris from 1912 personally as well as here, but now it goes on chronologically.
Wellington dates back to 1876. 142 years ago. In this period of historicism, architecture and art were more backward-looking and oriented towards older styles. And at Curzon Street number 9 in Mayfair/London, Trumpers Barbershop was opened a year earlier. But I digress.
Although Wellington is the oldest trumper scent, it clearly smells the most modern to me. It also stands out clearly from the "Trumper Collection" because it is the only non-woody one among the four. I will spare myself any comparison with other waters here, since Wellington is clearly the older of the presumed twin fragrances, and it should therefore be said, if at all, that this other one smells like Wellington and not the other way round.
After I opened the rehearsal, "Take two lemons!" shot through my head. It smells wonderful of lemon candy, but without being sweet. And that for a respectable 4 hours and more. I've never experienced that in such perseverance. Also there is not this tinny note here, which sticks to some citrus scents after a few hours of fading. Wellington remains pleasant/pleasing until it slowly decays. The radiation is quite restrained. You can practically hardly overdose it, which invites to shake the bottle properly.
The floral heart notes are for me only suspectable and from the musk in the base I notice nothing.
All in all, I find Wellington to be a fresh and cheerful summer fragrance without any aquatic impact. And that's something completely new these days!
10.0 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Virile spices
At the first sniff I thought, Wellington Cologne is totally like Blenheim Bouquet (Penhaligon's), but I checked the date of creation, and I have to turn back the thought: Blenheim Bouquet (1902) is similar as Wellington Cologne (1876). Scents of old gentlemen.

Begins with a fresh citrus-eucalyptus whiff, but rosmary's bitterness takes over the domination soon. Gives what the creators promised: citrus sherbet with pine-needles". It does not change and lasts long.
For a man it may be relaxing on himself, for a women it is upsetting (smelling it on a man ;-) ).
I wear unscrupulously male fragrances, but I will stay away from this one, it is too much male even for me.

by Mikri
by Mikri

Popular Geo. F. Trumper

Eucris (Eau de Toilette) by Geo. F. Trumper Astor (Cologne) by Geo. F. Trumper Spanish Leather (Cologne) by Geo. F. Trumper Marlborough (Cologne) by Geo. F. Trumper Sandalwood Cologne by Geo. F. Trumper Curzon (Cologne) by Geo. F. Trumper West Indian Extract of Limes (Cologne) by Geo. F. Trumper Wild Fern (Cologne) by Geo. F. Trumper Bay Rum by Geo. F. Trumper Skye (Eau de Toilette) by Geo. F. Trumper GFT by Geo. F. Trumper Milk of Flowers by Geo. F. Trumper Eau de Portugal by Geo. F. Trumper Eau de Cologne by Geo. F. Trumper Ajaccio Violets by Geo. F. Trumper Eucris (Eau de Parfum) by Geo. F. Trumper Lavender Water by Geo. F. Trumper Eau de Quinine by Geo. F. Trumper San Remo Cologne by Geo. F. Trumper Sylvester / Silvester by Geo. F. Trumper