Bowling Green (1987)Eau de Toilette

Bowling Green (Eau de Toilette) by Geoffrey Beene

Bowling Green (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Geoffrey Beene for men and was released in 1987. The scent is fresh-green. It was last marketed by French Fragrances, Inc..

Top Notes Top NotesBasil, Bergamot, Juniper, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesArtemisia, Jasmine, Cardamom, Lavender, Pine, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Moss, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Fir, Cedar

Submitted by Easyfish, last update on 06.08.2020.

Green and white giant
At the beginning of the nineties there was once a TV commercial for a well-known detergent, in which at the end there was a mile-long clothesline with bright white laundry on a huge green meadow. Exactly this association I had after the first short alcoholic-medical citrus opening was gone.

On a spring morning, I walk along the clothesline with the freshly washed clothes on this still dewy meadow, take a deep breath and smell the scent of the damp meadow herbs and the freshness of the clean laundry. I feel fresh, clean, full of energy and feel like a walk through woods and meadows on this wonderful day.

To me it's a clean, slightly green lavender scent. A little soapy, a little old-school but not old-fashioned. The herbs and woods probably provide the naturalness and the "green" in this round composition.
It is difficult for me to smell out individual components. In the beginning lemon and bergamot - yes. Later lavender, herbs and moss - ok. But spices should be in there too? Cinnamon and cardamom? And woods? Patchouli, sandalwood, cedar? I don't think so.
What I perceive is a fresh, elegant and yet somehow nature-loving, reserved but still very interesting masculine scent.
At the beginning (after the "citrus kick") and only when smelling directly on the wrist I could still perceive something slightly medical, or let's say "naturopathic". Camomile tea, herbal tea mixture, fennel or something along those lines. Maybe it's artemisia.
I also thought at first that the scent had little projection. But it's not. It's rather one of those candidates that is relatively unobtrusive directly on the skin, but creates a light, somehow ethereal scent taura around the wearer. One gets such a pleasantly complex, but hardly tangible "breeze" into the nose for a short time, wants more immediately, rushes with his olfactory organ onto the sprayed body part, but does not get what this "breeze" promised. One could actually call such scents 3D scents. They only reach their full potential in the spatial spread, in the aura or, depending on the dosage, possibly also cloud, around the carrier.
Here I also do not know exactly whether such a thing is intended and high perfumer's art, or rather coincidence, or whether it has to do with the quality of the ingredients used.
I, for one, find this effect ingenious and the scent anyway. This is an absolute perennial - except perhaps in winter - but it doesn't seem boring or even cheap, and that as a blind purchase on the net at an almost embarrassingly low price.
I'm happy.
Cantador
Green goblin in the herb garden
With Bowling Green, a fresh greenling has moved into my collection that has no equal:
Complex, independent and not to be compared with any other fragrance in my portfolio.

A walk across the meadow, past the herb garden and through the forest to the lookout point.

Fresh citrus scents alternating with balsamic-herbal and sweet-tart aromas.
This combination of fragrances both occupies and challenges me at the same time.
I can't call it anything other than a moody sensation between melodiousness and disharmony.

Once you arrive at the viewpoint, this sensation calms down.
It becomes much milder and a sweetish, spicy and woody flavour follows the gruelling walk. I enjoy the view with a little of the well-known Grey Flannel DNA.

Projection and duration of the fragrance pleasure are surprisingly good in this price category.
Recommendable and worthy of testing.
Green citric freshness
Bowling Green had to be tested after Grey Flanell of course. After sniffing out the sample it was clear that he was a must have for me. Not only did the fragrance come onto the market in my year of birth, it is also one of the 80's fragrances that can fit in well with the early 90's fragrances. There are many citric-fresh fragrances nowadays, which are however without any natural aromatics with synthetic additives up to the unrecognizability are defaced, whenever I now test such a half-lived new release and notice that after the fresh start immediately everything is rolled down by Ambroxan and Co., I am nevertheless reassured, because I know what I have in vintage fragrances, especially Bowling Green!

It is still one of the fragrances that makes me think of the wonderful 90's when I apply it and it also takes me back a bit mentally to the past, it radiates contentment, carefreeness, lightness, the first rays of sunshine after winter, a walk on a dirt road in summer...

It starts with natural lemons and is quickly joined by basil and juniper, which also have an effect on the initial freshness. Fortunately, this top note lasts a while until it turns sweet and soft into the heart note. There the spicy floral spreads and gradually removes the freshness.

After the middle part comes the cinnamon, which was also very naturally worked in, with woody notes to carry, the moss again I can not really make out, I guess that will have been more noticeable in Vintage Cologne.

The durability is not bad at all for the price range and you always have it pleasantly in your nose, so the performance and projection is quite high. Too bad he's already been crushed... i for my part will buy myself a supply and enjoy it when I was disappointed in the perfumery again :)
Oldschool in best manner
Ok, let's close our eyes and imagine that this would be a Creed fragrance for 220,- Euro. Then I'd say, "Bravo Creed, another wonderful oldschooler. Well done, high quality, durable. So man can smell!"

And now we open our eyes and see in front of us a simple, beautiful bottle in the English country house style, full to bursting with 120ml Eau de Toilette, great OVP, and the contents ... there I get into raptures.

One of my very rare blind buys, inspired by the reviews and descriptions here, for no less than 15,- Euro including shipping.

This fragrance is a real treat: at first with similarities to Drakkar Noir with an offensive citrus note. Then at the base I'm reminded of Pour Monsieur of Chanel. Similarly classic but marked by a note that I like very much if it doesn't dominate too much: Artemisia / Mugwort.

Here this note is optimally integrated so that a pleasantly male tone results. Long lasting and non-intrusive.

If there was a price for the best value for money, this one might take the cake. That's it, CREED!!!!!

So really: That's how a man can smell!

Irresistible average
The list of fragrances that Bowling Green has been compared to is incredible. Along with my own comparison to Tsar the total runs to 35.

This is quite a phenomenon; in my opinion it means that 1) although obscure, Bowling Green is very popular among those who have smelled it - or why would they bother to expend so much mental energy on writing about its correspondences? and 2) it reminds so many people of other things because it's actually rather characterless; suave but generic.

Bowling Green is a bit citrus, a bit soapy, a bit aromatic, it has a bit of Tsar's cool breeze blowing through it; it's a bit fruity, a bit green, a bit herbal, and spicy. The base is a bit woody and a bit mossy; but more than just a bit - it smells good, and its hard to put your finger on why, nothing really stands out.

It's a kind of "sent - bon". A nice, slightly low grade scent with no great distinction; it has neither outstanding materials nor an original idea.

The departure can be a bit overpowering at first, and the evolution grinds to a halt in the mid section, but once it has achieved stasis Bowling Green becomes, above all, irresistibly nice. Nice, because fougère is nice, and this is a typical average fougère.

(The version to look for is the Sanofi bottle with a cloth tied round the cap.)

Bowled Over!
It was 26 years ago this summer-2012, that I first seen an ad in Interview magazine for Bowling Green. I immediately rushed out to my local mall and picked up a bottle for about $15. USDs. Grey Flannel was great in colder weather, yet this wore perfectly well in the hot summer sun.

Looking at all of those spices, this seems impossible in the heat, right? Its just the opposite. These are all fresh spices with fresh pine notes, like the aroma they give in May. Yes, there is a little honeysuckle here thats not listed. The effect is like sitting under tall pines, sipping lemonade near a fragrant herb garden on a hot summer afternoon. Its a very relaxed, casual daydreamers signature. Its somewhat dark. Hey, it was 1986 and everything had so many notes, even the warm weather marvels.

I was able to find a vintage bottle made in Miami from Geoffrey Beene Parfums. The packaging is original and fun to hold in your hand. Ah, what an age of innocence for the USA...

Then enter EA Fragrance with is mangled reformlation that sold like burn, moldy hotcakes. Its currently OOP. They were successful with Gray Flannel and Giorgio Beverly Hills. Why couldnt they get this one right? For a company that large, they should be able to try it again. This is a piece of Americana that deserves to be on the market again.

KimJongKimJong 6 months ago
Too much spices pop out in summer. In my opinion this is much better in other seasons. I imagine a sunny spacious hotel room. Really good.

Am Seefahrerdenkmal
by 123321
by Ninina
by Ninina

Popular Geoffrey Beene

Grey Flannel (Eau de Toilette) by Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel (After Shave Lotion) by Geoffrey Beene Geoffrey Beene (1999) (Eau de Toilette) by Geoffrey Beene Eau de Grey Flannel (Eau de Toilette) by Geoffrey Beene