Grey Flannel (1975) Eau de Toilette

Grey Flannel (Eau de Toilette) by Geoffrey Beene

Grey Flannel (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Geoffrey Beene for men and was released in 1975. The scent is green-spicy. It was last marketed by French Fragrances, Inc..

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Galbanum, Neroli, Petitgrain, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Iris, Mimosa, Narcissus, Rose, Sage, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Almond, Tonka bean, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 02.12.2019.

6.0 8.0 9.0 7.0/10

ShaunBaker
A violet with a difference
Look, I'm Grey Flannel, you've already put on a strong scent today? What's that? Half an hour ago? No problem, two splashes from me and you won't notice the lukewarm water from earlier anymore, because now I am here and I stay, and yes, I am stronger than all the others, even if you don't like me or don't like me because of my self-confident appearance, that doesn't matter to me, I put my head above it. You want to dose me discreetly? Try it, it will do you no good, for I will perform as my Creator has intended. You don't have to see me first, you can smell me and when it's against the wind! Hahaaaa

Honestly, when I first found Grey Flannel in a niche perfumery and tested it, I was very flashed. Especially since I had Knize Ten on my wrist for the first time that day. Whew! I can tell you the two battles to win, each of them wanted to be stronger, but I have to admit: GF has won...

Knize Ten, a leather beast as it is written in beech, trampled down by flowers, albeit apparently withered flowers. Where the Knize gradually mutates into a gentleman, Grey Flannel remains steadfast and you literally get a violet missed, not on the eye, but on or in the nose. In addition, the Green Beast strikes with plenty of rose geranium, other hardcore flowers and above all oak moss! That's where the air gets away for a moment. So far this has happened with Kouros, which should also be enjoyed with caution. Meanwhile I have learned to love firecrackers like Kouros or Knize Ten, but I still don't know how to deal with the grey flannel...

One spray too much and we land at my first paragraph :D

Concerning the durability it can be said: Even in the current version there are still well 8h in it, the Sillage should be room-filling in the first hour and the vulture knows what has ridden me, but currently I have about 700ml of this juice, that would certainly be enough to keep predators all over Africa away from me or so...

All in all, I don't think it's bad, but with the right dosage, I don't really want to succeed with it.

9.0 8.0 8.5/10

My first self-purchased
Inspired by a gift whose scent I liked and finally pushed me to delve deeper into the subject, I, as a co-reader at Parfumo, went in search of oakmoss: a scent that I know and admire from its most natural source - from oakmoss to rain and thaw. I found what I was looking for on Grey Flannel's scent list. Short test in the perfumery around the corner, even if the online purchase would have been much cheaper, but there very irritated by the hefty shop price, but what the heck. I want to have and bagged. Fortunately, the strong top note disappears quickly, and after 10 minutes the oakmoss note, which is so important to me, remains and unfolds increasingly. Unobtrusive, slightly bitter, she holds and remains. A harmonic fragrance composition that is as stimulating as it is relaxing, natural and solid, wonderful!
10.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10

The perfume of Achilles
As an amateur ... this perfume on me only emanates ... violets ... violets ... violets. Honestly, today a man who smells of violets ... !!! ??? .. .e is atypical. But ... this perfume is a total mystery. It's like when you feel it ... you don't care anymore ... it's Achilles' favorite perfume ... it whispers a voice from the past.
And then ... it's clear ... !!!
If you want a perfume beyond time ... this is ...
8.0 8.0 10.0 10.0/10

Grey Flannel Review
I wonder if no one mentions the scent like a chemistry lab that lasts long from the opening, while mentioning the fresh green, herbal, mossy, soapy scent. Because the psychotic and insecure atmosphere is what makes Gray Flannel so special and unique. Indeed, GF was the signature fragrance of John Gotti, the boss of the Gambino family, and the scent of hygienic compulsion that goes beyond neatness makes you much more dominant man than any other macho scents.

Gray Flannel is far from elegant, luxurious or seductive scent. When Dexter cuts the game's face with his scalpel, the scent that comes from him is probably GF. I honestly hope that no one except me wears it, but at the same time I hope to recommend it to other crazy good guys. There's no scent in this world can be compared to Gray Flannel. I will always keep this by my side even if the price of GF goes up ten times more than now.
9.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

Hunting Grey Flannel and Tweed
Everyone has wishes! These desires, real or supposedly unfulfillable as dreams, express themselves above all in the longing for things, for people, for events, for role models, for moments! In retrospect, they are often somewhat transfigured, but unfulfilled they are always present. I would like to share a small piece of it with you.

Already in the years before 1989, when we had only "hope and television" in the East, I wanted to become a hunter. Not only the hunting inspired me, also the exclusive clothes like loden and suede were mine. Through picture and film I also knew hunters in the Highlands, golfers, vintage car drivers, the royal family from Prince Albert to Charles at Balmoral Castle and other gentlemen. They all wore tweed, outdoor in vest and jacket, casual, noble and indestructible! I was still young, but I liked this way of dressing very much. There begins a part of my desire, at that time inaccessible at the moment and yet closer than I dreamed.

With new and firm ground under my feet I passed the hunter's examination right at the beginning of the 90s! Dressed mainly in suede and fine loden yarn, the fashion world was fine for me. And my camp field classic, Waidmannsheil!

Geoffrey Beene's Grey Flannel hasn't been mentioned yet?! A little more patience please!

About ten years later, two things came together. I saw a wonderful report about the Outer Hebrides and another about Sean Connery. Both were about tweed! I like Sean Connery, not the Bond, but the more mature gentleman who was voted "Sexiest Man alive" by People Magazine at the age of 59 in 1989. He was wearing tweed, pants, vest, jacket and flat cap. That's how I wanted to look, that's how I wanted to be dressed! My former desires were new and stronger than ever!

The metamorphosis into the appearance of Sean Connery has so far failed and will probably remain a dream. Meanwhile I call several complete combinations of Tweed, of course Harris Tweed - if I do, because already, my own. They are my favorites and I feel in it on almost all occasions, including hunting, fuck well.

What I needed was a perfume to go with it. Over the years I realized that as good as the camp field is, it cannot perfectly complement every occasion. Mainly I was looking for a fragrance that would reflect my "tweed feeling" in the best possible way. After a lot of testing I found the two recommendations Polo by Ralph Lauren and Yatagan by Caron quite acceptable. Sure, I was after I met Grey Flannel. It's him! That's my tweed scent.

I've written a lot about the way he smells. Bitter-green, fresh-green, how and when too many violets and daffodils appear, whether galbanum and/or petigrain stink here, the oak moss smells like damp forest or mouldy cemetery and more or less core or scented soap suffocates the cedar. May each of you re-experience yourself thanks to the many comments form or better try. A few hints I would have for us, all of which seem to fit on tweed as well.

Acceptance is the decisive factor! I have to like myself to wear Grey Flannel, I have to be at peace with myself and I have to be able to afford to show it. And it also takes courage to say that my favorite color is gray.

Grey Flannel has nothing funny for me, nothing cheerful, no lightness, hardly any freshness. It is not a flatterer, it comes with Karacho, is consistent, serious, indestructible and eccentric, not good-natured nice, but benevolent strict. Grey Flanell is neither old-fashioned nor modern, it is conservative, stands for reliability, safety and routine.

The perfume has nothing boyish or is for an old man and curmudgeon. His austere elegance requires a man who has stood his ground, well-balanced, self-confident, somewhat solitary, satisfied and resting in himself. A grandpa smell!? Of course I am, but not an old man or a sourpuss!

written in grey tweed dressed
8.0 7.5 10.0 10.0/10

Mossy in the Extreme
Weird to say, I already owned a bottle but I had to give it away, not because I didn't like it, but because it was a big splash-type bottle and I couldn't dose the perfume. As you should know, this cologne is powerful, intense, with huge projection, sillage, and longevity. Though I reordered a medium size with the vaporisateur, 120ml just costs me less than 15 euro. It's so different from all these modern fragrances in this price range which mostly smell very generic. Grey Flannel is dominated by three main notes: galbanum, violet, and oakmoss. It combines several flowers, typical of feminine perfumes, with more masculine notes, resulting in a gentle soapy bouquet. The newest incarnation of Grey Flannel by EA Fragrances is much more of a crowd pleaser than the vintage version. Is this cologne getting older? No, absolutely. It is a citrusy, fresh and flowery, bright green opening right away with the juicy vegetal violet leaf. It is masculine but flowery and citrusy enough to be unisex for anyone who loves green landscapes or light filtering through leaves. Just get acquainted with this cologne, and you will fall in love with it.

Bitter herb opening softens to wonderful violet and woody notes that on me, seem to morph back and forth with the rose and moss notes. I adore how it seems to change over its long-life. Herbs, violets, a fresh, cool, damp, woody smell. Cool rain on skin. A Northern woodland clearing, on the cusp of Spring, cool, green everywhere, the rain suddenly stops, the sun shines through the leaves, highlighting delicate purple flowers, the leafy tree branches still dripping with bright raindrops. The initial notes I get are violet, definitely tons of violet, intensely galbanum that gives a greenish tone, and a little bit of lemon that makes the opening a pretty refreshing, which is completely unique and unlike anything you've ever smelled before. The violet and citrus opening can be overwhelming to me if I slam my nose to the skin but the sillage from the opening is amazing. To me, it smells a bit powdery, soapy, with plenty of violets, a really powdery green opening.

The scent changes up a lot over the day, you will catch sweet rose, dark green geranium mixed with sage, the white narcissus, and iris. Repeatedly, the heart is still like a blossom bomb, a lot of white flowers. For at least two hours these are the things you will get most, and I get a lot, really a lot of iris, not a lipstick as in the Dior Homme but more powdery, very good, I do love it. It is soft, silvery powder, dry, dusty and fabulous. The middle notes are warm and the floral-sage mix quite inviting. On a paper strip, the sage dominates the central stage, whereas the violet leaves rule on the skin.

At this point, the fragrance strikes a lovely balance and develops an almost humid quality, rather like the inside of a greenhouse. The citrus that brightened the composition is almost gone while the oakmoss and patchouli come to the foreground. The sandalwood, hardly noticeable, surely helps anchor the scent as it seems to have two different characters, soft and fresh, and warm and shadowy. But it is the synthetic moss that controls the dry down, which exudes more and more during the rest of the day.

Projection is amazing and longevity is well over half a day on this. Honestly, anyone who likes it can wear it quite easily, and its reduced strength actually makes it appropriate for the spring days and even summer nights, where its cool violet leaf/iris character makes for a refreshing change from more modern and chemical designs. But, then, Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel is no ordinary fragrance. You really have to smell Grey Flannel to believe it. Forty-something years after its original release, Grey Flannel is still easy to find, it remains a masterpiece, and remains one of the most original and distinctive fragrances I have ever smelled.

-Elysium
7.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

Camey5000
An ancient scent, a scent of the earth...

Finding spring too early is a risk, feeling it almost presumptuous.
But he's in grey flannel.

The cheerful scents of days gone by, captured with drops of bergamot, neroli and lemon, give way to a longing for the new age and a wait for green mats and grass-lying dreams.

Along the way, on our little journey through time, we touch the daffodils, touch the mimosa and sage leaves and drop into an endless field of violets.

We dig our heads deep into these animal scent cushions and think back!
Also to all the violets, withered, blown away, passed and born again and again.

Between violets and oakmoss, we look towards the sky and shiver,
as the sky throws its scent of a distant cedar over us from the bright treetops.

For hours in the barren shade. But spring is coming.

The scent is still a risk.
(January)
9.0 8.0/10

Konsalik
I'm sorry, I misunderstood you! (or: What happens under the suit)
In the perfume chapter of his book "Der Gentleman" Bernhard Roetzel writes about "Grey Flannel" and others:
"Fortunately, you don't notice that this fragrance came onto the market in 1976, in the middle of a decade not exactly known for its timeless style. It goes best with a more classical wardrobe."
I didn't understand that at first. On the contrary: The impression of the uncomprehensible that was conveyed by many commentators on this page also came up in me at the beginning. The end of the fragrance was still quite obvious: Discreet soap. Quite classic. But what was the purpose of the floral bouquet in the opening and in the heart, which seemed to be artificial and did not want to combine harmoniously with the soap-clean base, but on the contrary smelled almost like an unripe papaya to me in combination? Not at all balanced, rounded, unobtrusive - not all that one would associate with a fragrance that is to be understood as the perfection of a classic (i.e.: old British) wardrobe. So it's the awkward seventies after all? But Grey Flannel" doesn't understand its task in such a striking way!
It is well known that today there is a popular fragrance category within the genus "Freshies" (as the English-speaking Youtuber probably call it), whose representatives are supposed to convey the impression of refreshed ability to go out or visit: Freshly showered, fresh laundry from the line: Everything concentrated in the bottle. "Grey Flannel" basically doesn't do anything else, only in the old and - in my opinion - more interesting way. In concrete terms, this means not taking a shower, but taking a bath. Not with liquid soap and shower gel lubricated, but with curd soap rubbed off (whose parents and/or grandparents did not have this almost endlessly productive piece of curd soap, possibly with pine smell, in the bath lie?). The laundry is not treated with Lenor's "Sommerwaldstrandbergquellzauber" fabric softener (which also damages the fibres), but refreshed with a shot of the herbaceous-floral ironing water additive alone (the housekeeper says her great-grandma already swore on it).
Only from this perspective do the first impressions described above make sense: that is why the fragrance components may seem so unconnected and stand next to each other. That's why "Grey Flannel" is a "spray-on suit" to a certain extent: it underlines, reinforces and extends the essential steps of the morning routine of the gentleman of the old city. No wonder that his habits and preferences for our modern noses at first do not give a harmonious, i.e. immediately and easily classifiable picture. Roetzel was right.
9.0 8.0 6.0 8.0/10

Great smell.
warning if you smell directly from the bottle cap or atomizer, it will smell like shit. but trust me this is 32 years old product probably reformulated but again you can't go wrong. its smells great and you will get compliments from elder leagues. its very much spicy indeed and has a great vibe when you cross some one. mature women's love it. they will look at you if not ask you about it. great to have it in your collection. but one down side it does not stand long. 4-5 hours tops. its a pure manly perfume.

Classic Masterpiece!
OK, this is a cologne released 32 years ago, so it's predictable that would smell familiar. also there is a Dove soap with this smell, but don't let that fool u. this is not a boring dated smell,in fact it's an incredibly fresh,eternal versatile scent. I like that some notes like almond and rose can be smell vividly. mine is made in USA with that lovely pouch. if u looking for a fresh cool scent with decent longevity and projection and don't care about release date, this is your scent.price is very bank account friendly. the only downside imo is the sprayer which is not controllable and u can not spray small doses. i think it's one of the worst atomizers I've ever seen. and one last thing , as mentioned by others below i think its unisex and women can wear it too.

Mr. Beene!
It's the oddest thing......of the colognes I have in my cabinet, this one seems like the most "un-synthetic" of them all.

The opening notes are so "natural" and strong, sort of astringent but never does the thought of a chemical odor cross my mind.

To some noses out there the immediate smell after application might turn them off but if you give it some time it really proves it can settle down and prove its maturity.

If you are under 30 you might not "get this" but if you are truly a nonconformist then you might impress your peers with a daring departure from the normal fragrances Mtv pushes.
5.0 5.0 10.0 8.0/10

Dry, herbal, dusty, green
One shouldn't be fooled by its affordable price nor its bathfoam-like packaging – Grey Flannel smells terrific, unique and more expensive than most of today's designer stuff.
I'm having hard time detecting any of the notes featured on the pyramid above, except for the violet leaf, that is. Or at least the pyramid is very misleading. This is not nearly as floral as it suggests. Essentially this is a dry, green masculine built around the violet leaf note, with emphasis on the herbal/camphorous side of the note. Some whiffs of cooking herbs and even white pepper are obvious at times. The art or magic, however, is in how several notes have been forced to play second violin in perfect harmony to the violet leaf. Even the coumarin-like base has somehow been tuned to primarily reveal its greener side. Theres nothing creamy or cloying in there. If there's any sweetness, it's closer to burned sugar.

I won't suggest you to try it before buying, I simply suggest you buy it anyway. Chances are high that it won't become a daily favorite, but very likely something you feel tempted to revisit every now and then. Just to appreciate it's uncannily clever structure.

Be easy on the trigger, though – this is tenacious stuff. Even though its sillage won't kill anyone, you might find 3+ squirts nauseating yourself.
7.5 7.5 5.0 6.0/10

Old time Classic
I was surprised on how many people spoke so well about a scent that was released over 3 decades ago. Many people still found it attractive even when it didn't come from a very popular perfume house.

It was curiosity that made me acquire this old time classic, because I wanted to find out how a gentleman in the late 20th century would smell like. and due to it's fair price tag, I didn't hesitate at all. And the bottle too, it was attractive to me, it was simple and i really wanted to add it to my small collection.

Grey Flannel won't really rub shoulders with some beast our there, but it still pleases me, in a particular way. It works best in the evenings. Sometimes you should dress in a way that will compliment this scent.

Many miles behind us...
I first encountered Grey Flannel in 1978. It became a trusted companion for the rest of my life. This is the scent I turn to when I feel down and out. It is like that old ragged teddy bear that you just cannot throw away.

I spent a few years tracking down a vintage bottle of the original cologne, as the current EA Fragrance version is too heavy handed. The bottle had a faded label. Its unassuming apothecary bottle is as iconic as a bottle of Old Spice. It was under $10 including shipping. It contains a priceless array of florals and herbs that are no longer in the new version.

The opening is galbanum and citric accords that give way to the chypre accords( oakmoss, vetiver and patcholi) that move in right away and stay for the duration. Then a bouquet of florals gently peek through, like patches of blue sky though a sping storm. They have a crushed wet quality like you have just stepped on them in the rain. Neroli(my favorite note), violet, iris, clary sage, geranium, rose and narcissus are all discreetly there. The drydown is held up by tonka, labdanum and cedar. This is another 24 hour composition. Its unimaginable that a mens floral had become a hit! Much less that it is produced by an American designer. Its refined, masculine and distinct. It smells the same on every man.

All of the notes are real in this vintage have a strength no longer seen in the EA version or anything I know of on the market. This came on the market before the powerhouse. It still can fill a room, yet its real strength is its time elapsed chypre character. Patience is required to fully enjoy it. It like having a crush when you are young, as it gives you courage to carry on. This is perfect on rainy spring days when you have little on your mind.

The current version lacks the chypre notes of course, yet has the violet turned way up. It has the loudness of an EDT. I think the narcissus is a bit loud too. Other than that, its still distinctly Grey Flannel. I cannot wear it on my skin, yet it does make a great wardrobe spray. I think the current version is more Purple Satin by comparison.
7.5 5.0 7.5 7.0/10

Drseid
A Classic Violet Floral...
Grey Flannel opens with a citrus combination of lemon and bergamot, quickly joined by a floral green orange blossom, galbanum and petit grain undertone that permeates the early citrus development. The floral green accord remains into the early heart where it is then joined by a strong floral violet note that is the real star of the scent and hangs around to a degree through the remaining development. As the petit grain and galbanum begin to recede later in the heart phase, a supporting rose note now joins the violet. During the dry-down, the violet and now heavily diminished rose are sweetened just a hair by the use of tonka bean in the base though never does it sweeten Grey Flannel enough that one could mistake this for a sweet scent by any measure. Projection is good and longevity is very good.

Grey Flannel is pretty unique. It is a masculine floral that uses violet and galbanum very different than I have sniffed in other fragrances. I get an almost aromatic vibe early, with the green resinous citrus combination supporting the florals, then the scent takes a bit of a detour late, steering away from the florals to a degree while never quite entirely losing them. Grey Flannel is not particularly my kind of scent, but the quality of the composition is certainly there and I can easily appreciate what its legions of fans see in it. I would recommend sampling this before purchase, but due to its relatively low price nowadays even a blind buy (as I did) is not particularly risky. The bottom line is the classic scent Grey Flannel is a trendsetter that is a bit polarizing but worthy, earning a very good rating of 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5.

jtd
Beautifully seering in a way I associate with a dry floral chypre.
This is a brilliant fragrance that might have traded some degree of acclaim for ubiquity. Well, time has passed and so many current perfume fans weren’t around when this bad boy was released. Time to reconsider it.

I’ve read Grey Flannel referred to as a fougère, but I don’t get much coumarin. Maybe just a touch to lend that particular quiet but high-pitched sweetness that works so well with the violet leaf. And I don’t get any lavender. I find Grey Flannel a citrus woody violet. Or let me make that VIOLET with some orange/petitigrain and cedar. This scent reads as crisp and immaculate; it would make an ideal alternative to the sporty–fresh wing of the men’s perfume market. But you have to like the violet leaf note or you’ll never love Grey Flannel.

Forthright, stark accords tend to appeal to me for their broad legibility and that fact that there’s always some degree of virtuosity even when the notes harmonize. The best potential for synergy is when seemingly different elements are connected by a couple of associative links, as in the seemingly Kevin Baconish degrees between bergamot, oakmoss and labdanum in a chypre. Here the connections are orange twigs to cedar (wood), cedar to violet leaf (a high-pitched camphorous note not unlike eucalyptus) and violet leaf to citrus (astringent.) The thin links connect; the large gaps allow for the inclusion of other notes that makes an accord like this so rich for new ideas.

Grey Flannel ties with Lauder’s Azuree and Private Collection, Balmain’s Ivoire, Gres Cabaret, Rochas Tocade, Kiehl’s Musk and Caron’s Troisieme Homme and Yatagan for best inexpensive fragrance available.
5.0 7.5 7.0/10

An understandable classic
I was very intrigued by this fragrance seeming that I had read so many rave reviews on it. It was surprisingly quite difficult for me to track down, however I managed to find it hidden amongst some lesser known fragrances in a quiet little chemist.

Upon first application I was beginning to question why this fragrance was so popular. The citrusy opening notes were very strong and in some ways, harsh. The scent was also quite green, which is an aspect that I rarely like in fragrances.

I did not doubt Grey Flannel's obvious masculinity, however I expected something more unique and memorable. It wasn't until the scent settled that I understood why Grey Flannel is so likable.

The scent has an almost soapy-fresh quality with subtle herbaceous notes. I can see why this fragrance is hailed as a classic, it is indeed very sophisticated yet adaptable for any occasion.

It actually smells rather nostalgic to me. I swear that my Father used a talcum powder that smelt rather similar to Grey Flannel when I was a child.

The whole powdery, clean aspect of this cologne is both warm and cozy. Unfortunately I find the name of this fragrance rather misleading, as the name Grey Flannel only makes me think of old, smelly men's pyjamas.

When settled on the skin, Grey Flannel smells very natural and musky. It also lasts a good while which only adds to this fragrance's appeal.
5.0 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

GREY FLANNEL by Geoffrey Beene
Introduced by American fashion designer Geoffrey Beene in 1976, Grey Flannel was the brain child of perfumer André Fromentin. Beene started his fragrance collection in 1975 working in collaboration with Ron Winnegrad, André Fromentin and Michel Gouges. Many of Beene's fragrances are still in demand today.

Geoffrey Beene was a native of Haynesville, Louisiana and a revered designer in the fashion industry. Beene didn't start his career in the fashion world. As a matter of fact, he originally started his studies in medicine but dropped out after discovering his interest in fashion design. He enrolled in the Trap Hagen School of fashion in New York in 1947. After finishing his education, he worked for fashion houses like Teal Traina and Harmay, in New York and Paris.

Beene started his own company in 1963 under the name of Geoffrey Beene, Inc. Many famous celebrities in the entertainment and political arena were some of his greatest fans. He was also well known for designing the wedding dress for Lynda Bird Johnson.

Grey Flannel is a classic fragrance and very different than other designer fragrances that were offered up in the mid 1970's. A woody oriental with a hearty violet and iris heart. I remember this fragrance well and was a bit surprised when I decided to take a little walk down memory lane. Just how well would my sense of smell really work. Grey Flannel was probably my second or third fragrance purchase. I remember the packaging, a deep green bottle with a clean and crisp silver and white label. The little flannel shroud that covered the bottle with a rope like pull string. Everything about the packaging was masculine and somewhat proper.

I decided to purchase a bottle just to see what has been done to this classic men's fragrances. When I first sprayed the new version of Grey Flannel onto my skin, it was like being reintroduced to an old friend. It still had that wonderful dry dense forest like green smell. It also had a fragrant herbaceous quality in the opening in combination with small bits of citrus. This combination made the opening of Grey Flannel quite a powerhouse, very invigorating and very sharp to the nose. I noticed the violet leaf, iris and sage working it way up through the thick green notes and again, remembered how interesting this scent still is. Violet leaf gives off a slightly bitter metallic note that can be sharp to the nose. The oak moss, cedar base reinforced all of the forest green notes that subsided after the opening but somehow these base notes matured the scent. Nice warm woody notes with light sweet floral notes of iris and sharp violet leaf hovering above. I do feel that this reformulation, while unpopular with many, has a better balance between the overwhelming top and base notes with their interaction with the floral notes.

I feel that the violet leaf and iris are respectful of their positions in the note structure and not misbehaving in this new reformulation. The projection on Grey Flannel has attitude but in an austere way. I firmly believe that it was the overbearing florals in the original version that most people reacted negatively to. I'm glad to see that Grey Flannel was tamed just enough to allow full enjoyment of all of the great note combinations this fragrance has to offer. Many feel remorse over the new reformulation because of the disappearance of the heavy forest like green note in the opening. That note somehow managed to last almost right to the end. I personally loved this note but thought that it was overbearing and smothered the violet and iris notes that were probably the most vibrant in this fragrance.

Grey Flannel is still a great addition to anyone's fragrance collection. It is masculine, wearable, inexpensive and great for any time of the year but probably best suited for fall, winter and early spring. It appears that Geoffrey Beene has finally tamed the green monster.

AmberScent 4 days ago
Earthy and powdery violet blended with a green bitter-smelling forest quality moss. An interesting old timer but not really my type.+2
Carlitos01 7 months ago
A precious jewel for moss lovers - which I'm not. Nevertheless a potent old school complex versatile fragrance. A must have for all men.+4
Elysium 7 months ago
It's ruled by galbanum, violet, and oakmoss. It blends many blooms, typical of feminine perfumes, with more masculine notes. Powdery & soapy+2
10.0

by MrNiceGuy
by skanvidou
by skanvidou

Popular Geoffrey Beene

Grey Flannel (Eau de Toilette) by Geoffrey Beene Bowling Green (Eau de Toilette) by Geoffrey Beene Eau de Grey Flannel (Eau de Toilette) by Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel (After Shave Lotion) by Geoffrey Beene Geoffrey Beene (1999) (Eau de Toilette) by Geoffrey Beene Chance (Eau de Toilette) by Geoffrey Beene Geoffrey Beene (1999) (Parfum) by Geoffrey Beene Red by Geoffrey Beene Geoffrey Beene (1971) (Cologne) by Geoffrey Beene Geoffrey Beene (1971) (Perfume) by Geoffrey Beene Bowling Green (Cologne) by Geoffrey Beene Bowling Green (After-Shave Lotion) by Geoffrey Beene Eau de Grey Flannel (After Shave Lotion) by Geoffrey Beene Chance (Parfum) by Geoffrey Beene