Grey Flannel (1975)Eau de Toilette

Grey Flannel (Eau de Toilette) by Geoffrey Beene

Grey Flannel (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Geoffrey Beene for men and was released in 1975. The scent is green-spicy. It was last marketed by French Fragrances, Inc..

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Galbanum, Neroli, Petitgrain, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Iris, Mimosa, Narcissus, Rose, Sage, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Almond, Tonka bean, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 28.06.2020.

Love on the 2nd snoop
I had my eye on Grey Flannel for a long time and finally bought it last week. Full of anticipation and excitement (also because of the different and crassly contradictory evaluations here) I opened the bottle and allowed myself a first, tentative sniff. Hmm, what's that? Something dusty and musty is making its way. I need to know more. Spray the first bump on my wrist and wait a few seconds. Ok, the dusty one is still there, but it flies away quite fast, then a wild lemon-floral mixture comes to the front. It's quite pleasant, but doesn't quite convince me yet, but then my Achilles' heel comes out: moss! All right, I admit defeat! The smell is just what I need! While the beginning was confusing and caused a few moments of disappointment, the finale is pleasant and convincing.

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene - Or How to make a Fougere 101
A couple of months ago I started an exercise of buying the MOST popular men's fragrances released since 1975 and instantly hit upon Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene, and a shitload of varying opinions ranging from 'this smells like a dead body' to 'my nasal passages got burnt' to how 'Green Irish Tweed and Cool Water should tip their hats to the grand daddy of fougeres'.

It was these contrasts that interested me and frankly how cheap it was (AED 57/- in UAE) , that it wouldn't harm even if it did end up smelling like a morgue, I could throw it away. I decided to take a leap of faith.

Before the smell the first thing that grabbed my attention was the simplistic yet sophisticated packaging of the perfume, which projected the persona of a man whose feet are grounded to earth and yet stands out from the lot and rightly so I salute this peculiarity about the perfume. Since it is the same aura that defines this fragrance, its fame and its ultimate humility.

The green and less than exuberant bottle with a sticker on further solidified my opinion, but whatever preconcieved notions I might have had about the smell and its price were given a kick in the butt as the jigsaw finally fell into place.

The opening burst which to my nose is still one of the most potent openings ever smells of lemon/neroli and bergamot, and is reminiscent of water sprayed on freshly cut grass in spring, or standing on a green patch of land in the rain and the smell of the grass and moist wet earth.

This opening lingers for a while and grabs your nose and your mind from the first spritz.

After this the scent morphs into a much more simple, clean, slightly spicy and crisp powdery violet and oakmoss fragrance which throughout its ending retains its linear potency for a good 7-8 hours since application. With a pretty strong sillage as well.

I finally ended up understanding the literal 'green' of the bottle.

In my humble opinion, I consider this perfume to be a staple of fougere scent and a definite inspiration for classics such as Cool Water and Green Irish Tweed, among others, who may have extended or polished the fougere portfolio but have nit mastered it. For a collector of perfumes to simply not have it in their collection would be a serious blasphemy. Just buy it and don't use it, if you really hate it that much.

Now, an important note that I want to make , which is about the hate that is going around this perfume.

Although I understand that this is quite a subjective issue, but Grey Flannel challenges and smells like dead bodies, seriously !!!

This fragrance is an acquired taste and appeals to a mature segment or cross section of the people. A lot of hate that is being thrown by users, belong to a very young age category, they would probably have to give it some time to truly appreciate the simple elegance of this gem. To the young noses, this scent would definitely smell outdated ( 1975 duh !!! ).

But consider the time and era this perfume represented and how much of an influence this grand daddy of fougere fragrances has had in the perfume world, it is hard to find even niche fragrance houses escaping its shadow of greatness.

I have always loved the smell of rain on the grass, and if there is a single scent that truly encapsulates that single moment lingering in time it has to be Grey Flannel.

Take a leap of faith and give in to the power that is Grey Flannel.

Rating: B +
pudelbonzo
Friends are like stars...
... you can't always see them - but they're always there.

My best friend and I are an example that friendships between man and woman work - also, or just when some eroticism crackles in between.

In any case, we love the feeling - and love to find each other attractive and desirable.
In addition there is deep affection and understanding.

We like to go out together - and sunbathe in being perceived as a beautiful couple.

And when the couples move home at an advanced hour, he says to me: You see - they have to go home together - we are allowed to go to bed separately.
That has its charm, though.

And during the welcoming embrace we immerse ourselves extensively in the scent of the other.

Grey Flannell is something I particularly like to perceive in my boyfriend, because on the one hand he looks distinguished - but on the other he also has a discreet sex appeal.
A gentleman with a tendency to go astray.
Mysterious and exciting at the same time.

We share our secrets - which are indeed exciting - but stay among ourselves.
Because the gentleman enjoys - and is silent.
The lady too.
Between us we make an exception.

We are always close - even if we are separated by many kilometres in the meantime.

Friends are like stars - one about Bochum - the other about Berlin.
5.5
ShaunBaker
A violet with a difference
Look, I'm Grey Flannel, you've already put on a strong scent today? What's that? Half an hour ago? No problem, two splashes from me and you won't notice the lukewarm water from earlier anymore, because now I am here and I stay, and yes, I am stronger than all the others, even if you don't like me or don't like me because of my self-confident appearance, that doesn't matter to me, I put my head above it. You want to dose me discreetly? Try it, it will do you no good, for I will perform as my Creator has intended. You don't have to see me first, you can smell me and when it's against the wind! Hahaaaa

Honestly, when I first found Grey Flannel in a niche perfumery and tested it, I was very flashed. Especially since I had Knize Ten on my wrist for the first time that day. Whew! I can tell you the two battles to win, each of them wanted to be stronger, but I have to admit: GF has won...

Knize Ten, a leather beast as it is written in beech, trampled down by flowers, albeit apparently withered flowers. Where the Knize gradually mutates into a gentleman, Grey Flannel remains steadfast and you literally get a violet missed, not on the eye, but on or in the nose. In addition, the Green Beast strikes with plenty of rose geranium, other hardcore flowers and above all oak moss! That's where the air gets away for a moment. So far this has happened with Kouros, which should also be enjoyed with caution. Meanwhile I have learned to love firecrackers like Kouros or Knize Ten, but I still don't know how to deal with the grey flannel...

One spray too much and we land at my first paragraph :D

Concerning the durability it can be said: Even in the current version there are still well 8h in it, the Sillage should be room-filling in the first hour and the vulture knows what has ridden me, but currently I have about 700ml of this juice, that would certainly be enough to keep predators all over Africa away from me or so...

All in all, I don't think it's bad, but with the right dosage, I don't really want to succeed with it.

My first self-purchased
Inspired by a gift whose scent I liked and finally pushed me to delve deeper into the subject, I, as a co-reader at Parfumo, went in search of oakmoss: a scent that I know and admire from its most natural source - from oakmoss to rain and thaw. I found what I was looking for on Grey Flannel's scent list. Short test in the perfumery around the corner, even if the online purchase would have been much cheaper, but there very irritated by the hefty shop price, but what the heck. I want to have and bagged. Fortunately, the strong top note disappears quickly, and after 10 minutes the oakmoss note, which is so important to me, remains and unfolds increasingly. Unobtrusive, slightly bitter, she holds and remains. A harmonic fragrance composition that is as stimulating as it is relaxing, natural and solid, wonderful!

The perfume of Achilles
As an amateur ... this perfume on me only emanates ... violets ... violets ... violets. Honestly, today a man who smells of violets ... !!! ??? .. .e is atypical. But ... this perfume is a total mystery. It's like when you feel it ... you don't care anymore ... it's Achilles' favorite perfume ... it whispers a voice from the past.
And then ... it's clear ... !!!
If you want a perfume beyond time ... this is ...

Grey Flannel Review
I wonder if no one mentions the scent like a chemistry lab that lasts long from the opening, while mentioning the fresh green, herbal, mossy, soapy scent. Because the psychotic and insecure atmosphere is what makes Gray Flannel so special and unique. Indeed, GF was the signature fragrance of John Gotti, the boss of the Gambino family, and the scent of hygienic compulsion that goes beyond neatness makes you much more dominant man than any other macho scents.

Gray Flannel is far from elegant, luxurious or seductive scent. When Dexter cuts the game's face with his scalpel, the scent that comes from him is probably GF. I honestly hope that no one except me wears it, but at the same time I hope to recommend it to other crazy good guys. There's no scent in this world can be compared to Gray Flannel. I will always keep this by my side even if the price of GF goes up ten times more than now.
Hunting Grey Flannel and Tweed
Everyone has wishes! These desires, real or supposedly unfulfillable as dreams, express themselves above all in the longing for things, for people, for events, for role models, for moments! In retrospect, they are often somewhat transfigured, but unfulfilled they are always present. I would like to share a small piece of it with you.

Already in the years before 1989, when we had only "hope and television" in the East, I wanted to become a hunter. Not only the hunting inspired me, also the exclusive clothes like loden and suede were mine. Through picture and film I also knew hunters in the Highlands, golfers, vintage car drivers, the royal family from Prince Albert to Charles at Balmoral Castle and other gentlemen. They all wore tweed, outdoor in vest and jacket, casual, noble and indestructible! I was still young, but I liked this way of dressing very much. There begins a part of my desire, at that time inaccessible at the moment and yet closer than I dreamed.

With new and firm ground under my feet I passed the hunter's examination right at the beginning of the 90s! Dressed mainly in suede and fine loden yarn, the fashion world was fine for me. And my camp field classic, Waidmannsheil!

Geoffrey Beene's Grey Flannel hasn't been mentioned yet?! A little more patience please!

About ten years later, two things came together. I saw a wonderful report about the Outer Hebrides and another about Sean Connery. Both were about tweed! I like Sean Connery, not the Bond, but the more mature gentleman who was voted "Sexiest Man alive" by People Magazine at the age of 59 in 1989. He was wearing tweed, pants, vest, jacket and flat cap. That's how I wanted to look, that's how I wanted to be dressed! My former desires were new and stronger than ever!

The metamorphosis into the appearance of Sean Connery has so far failed and will probably remain a dream. Meanwhile I call several complete combinations of Tweed, of course Harris Tweed - if I do, because already, my own. They are my favorites and I feel in it on almost all occasions, including hunting, fuck well.

What I needed was a perfume to go with it. Over the years I realized that as good as the camp field is, it cannot perfectly complement every occasion. Mainly I was looking for a fragrance that would reflect my "tweed feeling" in the best possible way. After a lot of testing I found the two recommendations Polo by Ralph Lauren and Yatagan by Caron quite acceptable. Sure, I was after I met Grey Flannel. It's him! That's my tweed scent.

I've written a lot about the way he smells. Bitter-green, fresh-green, how and when too many violets and daffodils appear, whether galbanum and/or petigrain stink here, the oak moss smells like damp forest or mouldy cemetery and more or less core or scented soap suffocates the cedar. May each of you re-experience yourself thanks to the many comments form or better try. A few hints I would have for us, all of which seem to fit on tweed as well.

Acceptance is the decisive factor! I have to like myself to wear Grey Flannel, I have to be at peace with myself and I have to be able to afford to show it. And it also takes courage to say that my favorite color is gray.

Grey Flannel has nothing funny for me, nothing cheerful, no lightness, hardly any freshness. It is not a flatterer, it comes with Karacho, is consistent, serious, indestructible and eccentric, not good-natured nice, but benevolent strict. Grey Flanell is neither old-fashioned nor modern, it is conservative, stands for reliability, safety and routine.

The perfume has nothing boyish or is for an old man and curmudgeon. His austere elegance requires a man who has stood his ground, well-balanced, self-confident, somewhat solitary, satisfied and resting in himself. A grandpa smell!? Of course I am, but not an old man or a sourpuss!

written in grey tweed dressed

Mossy in the Extreme
Weird to say, I already owned a bottle but I had to give it away, not because I didn't like it, but because it was a big splash-type bottle and I couldn't dose the perfume. As you should know, this cologne is powerful, intense, with huge projection, sillage, and longevity. Though I reordered a medium size with the vaporisateur, 120ml just costs me less than 15 euro. It's so different from all these modern fragrances in this price range which mostly smell very generic. Grey Flannel is dominated by three main notes: galbanum, violet, and oakmoss. It combines several flowers, typical of feminine perfumes, with more masculine notes, resulting in a gentle soapy bouquet. The newest incarnation of Grey Flannel by EA Fragrances is much more of a crowd pleaser than the vintage version. Is this cologne getting older? No, absolutely. It is a citrusy, fresh and flowery, bright green opening right away with the juicy vegetal violet leaf. It is masculine but flowery and citrusy enough to be unisex for anyone who loves green landscapes or light filtering through leaves. Just get acquainted with this cologne, and you will fall in love with it.

Bitter herb opening softens to wonderful violet and woody notes that on me, seem to morph back and forth with the rose and moss notes. I adore how it seems to change over its long-life. Herbs, violets, a fresh, cool, damp, woody smell. Cool rain on skin. A Northern woodland clearing, on the cusp of Spring, cool, green everywhere, the rain suddenly stops, the sun shines through the leaves, highlighting delicate purple flowers, the leafy tree branches still dripping with bright raindrops. The initial notes I get are violet, definitely tons of violet, intensely galbanum that gives a greenish tone, and a little bit of lemon that makes the opening a pretty refreshing, which is completely unique and unlike anything you've ever smelled before. The violet and citrus opening can be overwhelming to me if I slam my nose to the skin but the sillage from the opening is amazing. To me, it smells a bit powdery, soapy, with plenty of violets, a really powdery green opening.

The scent changes up a lot over the day, you will catch sweet rose, dark green geranium mixed with sage, the white narcissus, and iris. Repeatedly, the heart is still like a blossom bomb, a lot of white flowers. For at least two hours these are the things you will get most, and I get a lot, really a lot of iris, not a lipstick as in the Dior Homme but more powdery, very good, I do love it. It is soft, silvery powder, dry, dusty and fabulous. The middle notes are warm and the floral-sage mix quite inviting. On a paper strip, the sage dominates the central stage, whereas the violet leaves rule on the skin.

At this point, the fragrance strikes a lovely balance and develops an almost humid quality, rather like the inside of a greenhouse. The citrus that brightened the composition is almost gone while the oakmoss and patchouli come to the foreground. The sandalwood, hardly noticeable, surely helps anchor the scent as it seems to have two different characters, soft and fresh, and warm and shadowy. But it is the synthetic moss that controls the dry down, which exudes more and more during the rest of the day.

Projection is amazing and longevity is well over half a day on this. Honestly, anyone who likes it can wear it quite easily, and its reduced strength actually makes it appropriate for the spring days and even summer nights, where its cool violet leaf/iris character makes for a refreshing change from more modern and chemical designs. But, then, Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel is no ordinary fragrance. You really have to smell Grey Flannel to believe it. Forty-something years after its original release, Grey Flannel is still easy to find, it remains a masterpiece, and remains one of the most original and distinctive fragrances I have ever smelled.

-Elysium
Camey5000
An ancient scent, a scent of the earth...

Finding spring too early is a risk, feeling it almost presumptuous.
But he's in grey flannel.

The cheerful scents of days gone by, captured with drops of bergamot, neroli and lemon, give way to a longing for the new age and a wait for green mats and grass-lying dreams.

Along the way, on our little journey through time, we touch the daffodils, touch the mimosa and sage leaves and drop into an endless field of violets.

We dig our heads deep into these animal scent cushions and think back!
Also to all the violets, withered, blown away, passed and born again and again.

Between violets and oakmoss, we look towards the sky and shiver,
as the sky throws its scent of a distant cedar over us from the bright treetops.

For hours in the barren shade. But spring is coming.

The scent is still a risk.
(January)

SyedSyed 164 days ago
Grey Flannel - The Master Fougere Scent
AmberScentAmberScent 8 months ago
Earthy and powdery violet blended with a green bitter-smelling forest quality moss. An interesting old timer but not really my type.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 15 months ago
A precious jewel for moss lovers, which I'm not. Nevertheless a potent old school, complex, versatile fragrance. A fougére icon for all men.
ElysiumElysium 15 months ago
It's ruled by galbanum, violet, and oakmoss. It blends many blooms, typical of feminine perfumes, with more masculine notes. Powdery & soapy
KingPinKingPin 17 months ago
4.5
A green flowery violet. I used it 25 years ago, but wouldn’t wear it today.

..der Himmel glühte wirklich...
by Graybeard
60 (Rasierapparat) bzw. 45 Jahre alt - und funktionieren beide noch (Verschleiß-Challenge)
by Pistazieneis
by Zauber600
by skanvidou
by skanvidou

Popular Geoffrey Beene

Bowling Green (Eau de Toilette) by Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel (After Shave Lotion) by Geoffrey Beene Geoffrey Beene (1999) (Eau de Toilette) by Geoffrey Beene Eau de Grey Flannel (Eau de Toilette) by Geoffrey Beene