Acqua di Giò pour Homme 1996 Eau de Toilette

Acqua di Giò pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani
Bottle Design Fabien Baron
Acqua di Giò pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Giorgio Armani for men and was released in 1996. The scent is fresh-aquatic. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
OakmossOakmoss
MuskMusk
PatchouliPatchouli
CedarCedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 02.09.2021.

Versatile
Since the fragrance has been an established classic for many years, is accordingly widely circulated and very mainstream, I have never wanted to test or buy it myself more extensively. After I was allowed to spend some time in the duty free after a long time and was still looking for a fresh and uncomplicated eau de toilette, Acqua di Gio moved into the closer selection.
Ultimately, I purchased a set with a 100 ml bottle and a 15 ml bottle for a very fair price.
Although I did not expect particularly much from the fragrance, it proved to be a direct hit.
This fragrance you can always wear, no matter what the occasion or season, although I use it mainly in the summer and spring.
Another point to be emphasized is that Acqua du Gio evokes extremely positive reactions in my experience, especially with people who have never actually commented greatly on perfumes or awarded compliments.
The only criticism on my part concerns the durability and sillage, which are to be classified rather below average.

Of course, it is a fragrance DNA known for a long time and is not particularly exciting, the feedback on the fragrance and the versatile applications speak for themselves, however, which is why you can still access without hesitation.
If you find good deals Acqua du Gio is definitely a must-have for a collection.

Cool Water by Committee
Acqua di Giò was nothing but 'Cool Water lite'.
It's a fruity-mossy aquatic where citrus takes the lead instead of crab apple.
The texture is smoother and it's less bitter, it has less impact than the more grinchy Cool Water.
Despite - or because of - being more bland, Acqua di Giò was a big success - like its role model.

Pre-allergen sample of Acqua di Gio V Lancaster Cool Water mini

Functional
I remember when I first got my hands on this. Being a poor student and all, I could barely afford it. I always saved it for those very special moments. Those were the days sigh

I still have a bottle, not OG vintage but I think at least 10 years old. Today I still rarely wear it. When I do, it is on extremely hot days, after a shower or bath. Just to extend that ‘fresh out of shower’ feeling for an hour or two. In that perspective it is unbeatable.

The scent itself is still super fresh citric, a bit salty. The floral notes and patchouli/musk base are there but barely identifiable. I never got any ‘marine’ impression really.

It is the association with modern shower gels that made it less attractive as a perfume. That and a number of formula tweaks maybe. What a shame.

The Beauty of 1996!
It is a legendary fragrance. Simple to wear yet surprisingly sophisticated. Everyone was using it about 20 years ago. Many people still do and this is a fragrance that simply withstood the test of time.

The reasons for that are many, as it represents all that the Mediterranean is. Citruses, light flowers, ocean breeze, a few dry trees, and a bit of aldehyde and salt. Refreshing, uplifting, and easily recognizable.

There are a few reasons to hate or be skeptical about it. And as stupid as it sounds its popularity made it less of a signature scent than it was. An army of clone perfumes was made, some better some worse - all to push this fragrance DNA to the masses.

As someone who had the chance to wear it on a few occasions, I must say that I would not buy it for myself, but would be happy to receive it as a gift.

Surprisingly, the reason for that is that Lidl (supermarket in Europe) released an analog of ADG while removing a few notes. Not as sophisticated as the original, nor as expensive it gets the job done. Essence Acqua Fresh by Lidl can be used as a cheaper alternative to this legendary fragrance.

I know that someone might hate this comment, however, I must say that the recent reformulations made ADG weaker, thus bringing it closer to some of its homages.
Unfortunately lost in gloss
I remember the first time I smelled that scent. Wow, that was a plank! Nice and fresh, fruity, sweet. Didn't think I'd like it at the time, but I was head over heels in love. Over and over again until I liked others better. Recently I had the pleasure to test it again. I don't know if it's me or if they changed the ingredients, but he's lost his magic. It is not as strong as it used to be and somehow it seems very flattened to me. Still a great scent for the summer. I would probably not buy it anymore
patchouli-heavy
Since this fragrance is included in an advent calendar and I considered buying it for my boyfriend; I tested the fragrance on a paper strip in a perfume department of a department store. Unfortunately the scent did not meet my taste at all. In unison it smells citric-sour after which a patchouli cloud covers the rest. I didn't find it to be aquatic-fresh either Somehow I don't feel the fragrance as 'young'; somehow reminds me of my father; age group rather +/- 50 and rural living space. The bottle is kept very simple: flat man-like shape; frosted glass; silver-coloured inscription and lid Since I know several fragrances of the female fragrance lines 'Acqua du Giogia' and 'Sí', of which I own one myself, I imagined the fragrance to be quite different. I found the price in the perfume department a bit exaggerated for an EDT. I cannot say much about the durability of the fragrance.
MTS
My absolute favorite summer scent.
I was young, a tender 16 when I made my decision to go to work in the distant city. Not only did I see my future in this place, but I also felt home for the first time in this destination. That is how it was when I lived through my years of training. I have experienced many things, gone through many things and some things have remained. One of them was Acqua di Gio Edt, which was the scent of my former instructor, very attentive to his appearance. I still see him in my mind's eye as he strolls up and down the alleyway on his way to work or home. He had everything I wanted, well, his relationships less so, we were very different. But the well-paid job, a great apartment and a self-confidence that nothing can get out of hand so quickly. All in all, I have done pretty well so far, including a short hairstyle and fashionable appearance.

He used to wear the scent whenever it got warmer and today I know why. There is probably no other scent that conveys this clear "freshness" better. You can go take a shower and put on that scent and you'll be even more showered. You can put on the scent all sweaty after the gym and you're fresh. Apparently there is a special molecule in it that makes this effect possible. I am simply fascinated by how this fragrance has this unique property.

Smells: I like this clear freshness, like a breeze from the sea. Simply marvellous, sometimes even a bit arousing and unmistakably 90s. This scent can be recognized and sniffed in so many places that it should actually belong to the UNESCO World Heritage. The lime is clearly noticeable in the opening, but these maritime notes are just as dominant, so that I somehow don't want to notice others. I enjoy the whole thing in itself. What I really like in the base is a warm masculine grounding despite the rather citric opening. It seems to be standing and more self-stinging as well as the wearer. Actually Eau Sauvage shouldn't be far away, but this one just looks a bit brighter, clearer than Eau Sauvage, but no less in appearance.

DURABILITY: Oh durability, that doesn't matter with such a beautiful opening. I prefer to splash every 2 hours to dive back into the waves of the fresh sea. Despite rather warm weather the scent can survive for a good 3-4 hours. What is enough here. Really. I do not need more. I think that the scent would probably last longer if it were applied thicker, but then the opening would be too much for me. So you'd better keep on applying it until you let it wear off at the end.

SILLAGE: Good in the beginning, but then quite quickly quieter and short-lived. At least with my bottle. So far it's quite ok, I had a friend in the gym who applied the scent before training and so it was fresh around him for about 20 minutes and then quiet. In my office the scent rarely left the room, really rarely. In the office it was more noticeable at close range, which was good for colleagues. Although the scent would never have bothered anyone, Crowdpleaser just did.

FLAKON: Oh, come on, you can't argue with that. Simple, and now the shape of the bottle exudes something like a special aura. It's that very same fragrance. But only if it's white and matt, the glass. Otherwise it's another one of those new additions to the Armani Collezione, almost every year. I like the feel of this mat enormously. Especially when it becomes a bit transparent through my hands, which are soaked from the shower.

Acqua di Gio is the fragrance I reach for when I have no idea what to wear, or when it has to be something light and fresh. Always with the thought "Oh come on, he always leaves" and a little bit fleeting then the memory of my trainer.

Thanks for reading

Ocean joy
Acqua di Gio was a big shock for me when it first came out. Immediately purchased it as a teenager when it came out in the 90s as I was completely mesmerized. Until then I had worn Chanel Egoiste, an odd choice for a teenage boy but that is what I liked, then CK one happened. The freshness was refreshing, and I remember my interest shifting towards something more masculine. I was very disappointed to come across Cool water, as that smelled like soapy fresh cut green to me than the ocean. Acqua di Gio, with its beautiful marine notes absolutely captured and registered as ocean. The blending with citrus and the Jasmine is so iconic that there is no wonder it became the all time best seller for men's cologne.

What more can be said about Acqua Di Gio? I still love this fragrance despite owning the newer flankers.
Would I still purchase the original? It's a difficult no. I do believe his successful flankers are more modern and improved on performance. Namely the profumo but I also like Absolu a lot. The reason I like these two scents, is absolutely because of the undeniable ozone scent pillar that it continues to hold up. I like them because where they came from and believe each are great creations. But the original would only serve the purpose of being a wall flower in my collection with occasional sniffing should he join, so I will not do that to my favorite scent. His legacy will be carried on by his new flankers who I will test every time they come out. I wasn't a fan of the profundo or Absolute extreme, but that is not going to stop me from pilgrimaging Gio flanker releases.
Back to the roots...
After being a silent reader of this thoroughly likeable community for about half a year now, I decided to write my first comment. I have thought about it for a long time, because, to be honest, I didn't dare for a long time, due to the fact that there are really very informative and partly also professional comments to be read here - to do justice to this claim and to write comments, which also have an added value for other members, is surely anything but easy for "newcomers" at first. But as they say: All beginnings are hard. In this respect, you will surely forgive me if this comment seems insufficient to you:).

I would like to dedicate my first comment to the perfume, which was also my first perfume at that time.

I was about 16 years old and at that time a big fan of Bushido. At that time, the Bravo magazines were also extremely hyped - and if there was an interview with the same rapper included, there was no other option for me but to buy this issue. No sooner said than done, and so in the course of the interview I came across the perfume Acqua di Giò pour Homme and, in my youthful recklessness, thought to myself: "If he's wearing that, it can only be good! Nowadays, you could possibly call it analog influencing. Apps like Instagram were probably not even planned at that time. Anyway.

I went to the drugstore and bought the scent and at that time I didn't really think much about it. Eau de Parfum, Eau de Toilette, Eau de Cologne, etc...Never mind, it was supposed to be this scent anyway.

Today it is certainly different and I know - at least in theory - the differences, but in practice it is not always what it says on the label. So far so good.

Now - 12 years later - I have bought this fragrance again. The first time I sprayed it on I was immediately reminded of that time, as if I was going on a journey through time. The same side of the Bravo immediately shot into my head and it simply brought a smile to my face.
If scents allow associations with certain situations etc., this certainly does not mean anything negative for the individual:)...Except one could not gain anything positive from the situation...

About the fragrance itself:

This freshness, which reveals itself to me immediately after spraying on is, in my opinion, simply terrific and I feel the need to sniff my arm permanently. I like the mixture of orange, lemon, tangerine and lime very much, although I cannot filter out the bergamot and jasmine in particular, which is certainly due to my untrained nose and also doesn't mean that I can doubtlessly identify the first mentioned ingredients, but I think I can recognize them at the beginning.
In the further course of time this does not become easier, so that I find it very difficult to recognize the ingredients, which does not make the smell worse. However, the amber note is definitely present in the base for me.

I would also like to point out that I sprayed the Profumo simultaneously and I read some comments on this before I bought the ADG. The tenor was mostly clear and spoke or rather speaks for the Profumo. However, I personally am still bothered by the incense, which is clearly shown to advantage and I think that this does not suit me at the moment.

The big shortcoming, which probably most fresh fragrances have, is - who would have guessed it - the shelf life. Already after a short time (2-3 hours), I feel the need to re-spray, although I have to note that the wearer - in this case me - might not notice it anymore, while outsiders still do. This happened when someone entered my room. From this I conclude that the sillage is quite solid at first, although I can't get rid of the feeling that it is almost only perceptible up close.

The price:
I bought a 100ml bottle at a reduced price in the perfumery with the big D (I didn't quite understand whether it is allowed to quote prices or not, as I do read some from time to time, but the rules don't allow it). I find this price in this size absolutely portable, because these - even if you spray more often - last very long. In this respect, I find the price-performance ratio in this case completely acceptable.

In the end I can recommend this fragrance well and gladly. If you are looking for something fresh, you are certainly not wrong here. I also find this fragrance timeless, so that it can be worn at any time.

Finally, I would like to thank you for reading and I am looking forward to your comments, improvements, etc. :)

Amazing Odor
I sprayed this perfume today.It has a very successful line. This perfume opens with the smell of fresh citrus and then the smell of fresh citrus is accompanied by a clean jasmine fragrance.A wonderful scent of paradise garden for me. I like its top notes. Fresh and very sweet, the scent of a jasmine from Wonderland.

When I sprayed this perfume for the first time, it felt so much. Everyone around me asked me the name of this fragrance.

About an hour later, a beautiful ocean breeze welcomes us. Here the main character of this perfume is revealed :
Citrus and especially marine notes
It's amazing marine odor. I like it.
I'm sure my girlfriend can love this fragrance on my skin :)

GuapoGuapo 6 months ago
One of my favorites. I used it as a signature fragrance until 2001. Even today in my rotation and what fantastic memories it brings me.
OmardoOmardo 8 months ago
To me, most boring fragrance ever. I think it's a perfume for non perfume lovers. I can't imagine a man interested in perfumes wearing this.
AldestAldest 9 months ago
Always smelled watermellon to me
Used it in my youth so I love it
Now it's flat - reformulated :((
Profumo flanker reminds me of what it was
Dan81Dan81 1 year ago
Original water. Cool water did not give me the water vibe but Gio struck me with the ocean. I love the flankers and will always love this
SpicyDiceSpicyDice 1 year ago
Ein wahnsinns Duft für den heißesten Sommer!
AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
Very pleasant and fresh, grabs a lot of attention, but I feel it weared out probably because I used it so much in the past. An icon anyway!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
A pleasing fresh citrus & sea breeze icon that became just to common. Its uniqueness disapeared long ago and it seems overpriced now. Is it?
VilarVilar 3 years ago
Iconic. Groundbreaking. This is a scent that will be (re)discovered by generations for years to come.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 3 years ago
0.5
Can't stand this "perfume". Makes me nauseous. I don't know how people are still wearing this crap in 2018
DarkbeatDarkbeat 3 years ago
Acqua Di Gio is the freshest and most versatile perfume that exists, an authentic generator of compliments.

... Acqua...
by LaVioletta
schräg² (aus der Hüfte des einhändigen Handstands geschossen:)
by Fresh21
Mittagssonne am Schwarzbach
by Timmama
by Timmama
Dieser 90er Klassiker ist einfach unsterblich...
by Salva
by Bondaredwin
by Kagi
by Kagi

Popular Giorgio Armani

Armani Privé - Sable Or by Giorgio Armani Armani (Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Cuir Majesté by Giorgio Armani Acqua di Giò Profumo (Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Oud Royal by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Rouge Malachite by Giorgio Armani Armani (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Myrrhe Impériale by Giorgio Armani Armani Code (Eau de Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Armani Code Satin by Giorgio Armani Sensi by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Rose d'Arabie by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Ambre Orient by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Cuir Noir by Giorgio Armani Armani Code Cashmere by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Iris Céladon by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - New York by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Ambre Eccentrico by Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani - Stronger With You Intensely by Giorgio Armani