Acqua di Giò pour Homme (1996) Eau de Toilette

Acqua di Giò pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani

Acqua di Giò pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Giorgio Armani for men and was released in 1996. The scent is fresh-aquatic. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Jasmine, Lime, Mandarin, Orange, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCyclamen, Freesia, Hyacinth, Coriander, Marine notes, Peach, Mignonette, Rose, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Musk, Patchouli, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 16.11.2019

7.0 6.0 6.0 7.5/10

Carlitos01
So simple but yet so complex
[short review]
I may describe Acqua di Giò as lime fresh, citrus fresh, sea breeze scented , with a dash of sweetness and, of course, with a touch of wood, moss and musk for the drydown to last a couple of hours. However this small description - 90% accurate in my opinion - fails to encompass a complex fragrance like Acqua di Giò.
This fragrance is like prism for me. I synthesize it into different feelings and, depending of my mood, I pick different perceptions. I just list half a dozen:
* Perception 1 - Boredom - you will meet other people today wearing this scent.
* Perception 2 - Nostalgia - of my scuba diving days and the boat sea breeze after a long dive. It must use a very good quality Calone ingredient.
* Perception 3 - Freshness - the strong lime freshness is unmatched.
* Perception 4 - Spruce - it really passes the sensation of neat in dress and appearance.
* Perception 5 - Sweetness - sweet, but classy sweet due to the fruity and floral notes topped by the sweet queen Mignonette flower.
* Perception 6 - Self reliance - reliance on one's own powers and resources, and yes... ladies keep turning their heads with this perfume sillage.

... and that's how this complex fragrance does not fit in a simple description.
Do I wear Acqua di Giò EdT a lot? Not really! But I like to have this perfume near by.
My 51 year old wife and my 18 year old daughter both just love it.
7.0 8.0 7.5/10

ZrankFappa
Disco fever, techno generation and a little bubble head feeling
Amazing scent. In an esoteric shop selling perfume oils got the clon or just the extract of this Agua.
it was more of a test. The salesman moved me a little in that direction. That was ten years ago.
The day before yesterday there was a cloud of perfume in the stairwell and I remembered and I understood. Good, I thought. A dozen times stronger than the fine perfume oil I own.
There are scents that are out of the world for me. Bubblehead. Like a balloon. High pressure position. Atmospheric brain. The smell in the stairwell: synthetic. Loud. Without top and bottom. Undefinable. Those aren't my scents. It's the techno generation, and it's the electronic man. The yuppie.
How right I should be.

A lot younger than me. And without plus, minus and protective conductor. It's just there.
Fifteen minutes later it rang, was my neighbour, it could get a little louder, little party and so on. It's fine. I don't fuck nobody, so if it's too hard, I should let you know. First of all I said.

First it got a little louder. Later I thought of him saying "last time the neighbors called the cops". Soon it could happen, I thought.
Here in the block everyone has something to gain from it.
Like I said, no categories. There it is. Whether it's him or me or two times diagonally under there. There! There! There! There! There! Break. What? There! There! Ranz Banz!
It was hard house and techno. Much younger than me.
From time to time, mechanical metallic scraps of conversation shot through the walls and from the balcony, making no sense. Also there!

When I was young you had to use Metal for this intensity. There was electronic music not so perverted hard.
When it rang at a quarter to twelve I did NOT open.

I was actually just busy listening to some Hard House again.

So it rang and my inner voice said "you don't want to pull anything".

When I looked through the spy three minutes later, all of a sudden it was just rhubarb. The uniformed man was standing in his door frame.

Well, whatever. Then it worked.
What's that got to do with the perfume? The intensity. And the question what that is.
The perfume reminds me of none because the aquatic is not my sense.
But I have to think of these Proletenparfums à la one million, or of the classics like Joop Homme. Or the other big names I don't use all those used for the disco Fever.

Sweet. Youth is horny. Disco's awesome. And when the cops move in, it's probably worth it!
7.0 7.0 7.0 9.0/10

Chronologie VII - Acqua legend
The smell of Mediterranean, associations and memories. Refreshing, airy, modern, classical and of character.

Giò, Giò Essenza and Giò Profumo is a summer's universal perfume that leaves a beautiful trace. It's discrete and unobtrusive, but still constantly perceptible. It is a summer's classic for every occasion and every outfit. There has been so many tries to create something better than this, and to devalue it because of it's popularity, but all of them failed.

For the end.. this is one of the best summer's perfume of all times.
7.0 6.0 7.0 7.5/10

Darkbeat
A piece of my land in a bottle
The aquatic par excellence, a classic that never fails.

You know that my tastes are far from this type of fresh and aquatic fragrances, mine are more powerful orientals, but ... when I feel like something fresh without complications, I always opt for this wonderful perfume, and that in its beginnings, whenever I could I avoided it, but something happened that made me love him.

I am from a fishing village in southern Spain, and due to work circumstances, I had to live for a while in an inner city. Over time, I missed my family, my friends and the southern light, so, unintentionally, I fell into a small depression, and to top my job situation got a bit complicated. Seeing my little mood, my roommates continually insisted that I go out with them, that I needed to clear myself, but I always refused, until one day I went shopping with them. Strolling through a shopping center, we visited a perfume shop to do some shopping, and in the end, the friendly clerk presented us with some samples of Acqua di Gio. You can't imagine my face smelling that, it was like a little piece of my town encapsulated in a little bottle, I could close my eyes and see the sea, taste the wet salt in my mouth, and feel the fresh sea breeze of my land in the face ... this was a little push to make my yearnings more bearable, the thing did not improve, but it made my stay there much more bearable, since then I have a lot of love for this perfume.

The duration and wake of this perfume is moderate in both cases, a very versatile, fresh and cheerful perfume, which can be used in almost any situation.
6.0 6.0 7.0 8.0/10

Fresh21
An almost perfect scent !
Actually, I wanted to dedicate my 50th commi to my signature or current favorite fragrance, but maybe also to the one with whom I associate the most emotions or best memories. But now it will be another one :)

Why?

Because Acqua di Giò simply combines most of my favourite scent characteristics and is also the best all-rounder I know. The fact that it is so universally applicable does not qualify it at all, and makes it neither boring nor average, just because it has no corners, edges or anything else. Rather, it is the other way around that I see its peculiarity precisely in the ingenious universality of this Armani.

I don't know if it is still necessary to describe this classic in detail because there are already almost 50 comments on it. Nevertheless I summarize my enthusiasm for this fragrance in a few words:

Armanis ADG is a very reliable fragrance due to its linear course, which despite its masculine freshness also has a few soft, feminine features. Although the slightly bitter fruitiness dominates, a small bouquet of fine flowers, the musk and a hint of patchouli soothe it and make Duft & Mann an attractive team. Suitable for blind buy, suitable for every occasion for every type and age, Acqua di Giò embodies the ultimate evergreen. As worn as this term may be, here it fits like a fist on the eye, I think.

KGTM: M:o:m:e:n:t:c:h:e:n m:a:l !

You? Great, and it was clear that my alter ego had to get involved again.

KGTM: ... d:e:i:n:e L:o:b:e:s:hy:m:n:e k:l:i:n:g:t j:a a:u:c:h b:e:s:s:e:r a:l:s j:e:d:e A:r:m:a:n:i A:n:z:e:i:g:e.

And?

KGTM: N:a, d:u b:e:s:i:t:z:t d:e:n D:u:f:t d:o:c:h g:a:r n:i:c:h:t.

Aaargh! Did that have to be now?

KGTM: I:c:h d:e:n:k:e s:c:h:o:n.

All right, okay, I admit it ... there's a better one than the original.

KGTM: K:o:m:m m:i:r j:e:t:z:t b:l:o:ß n:i:c:h:t m:i:t d:e:r M:a:t:r:i:x !

No, it's all real, it's really true. There is one clone that surpasses the current Acqua di Giò, the Lisboa of Zara.

KGTM: M:a:c:h:s:t d:u W:i:t:z:e?

Not this time, because it is really successful and more similar to the UR-ADG, because it brings more depth and keeps it until the end, while the current ADG batches look thinner and are too shallow especially in the back.

KGTM: F:ü:r d:e:i:n:e:n:n G:e:s:c:h:m:a:c:k v:i:e:l:l:e:i:c:h:t.

Yep, so it is... and yet I wanted to place my commi here with the original. For he has earned that, and my words shall therefore also apply to him. Although I don't necessarily want to talk about homage or homage, I would like to express my greatest respect and thanks to the perfumers for this wonderfully timeless fragrance ! No matter how often, how well, and by whom it has already been copied in what nuances - for me Acqua di Giò is

an almost perfect fragrance !

lazy sunday afternoon
Today, on a quiet Sunday afternoon, I let my thoughts go for a walk and think of some people who accompanied me on my way for a while.

Strangely enough, I can remember their faces with their scents.
Is it always like this? Or is the perfume due to my perfume interest?

Only yesterday I had my friend Birte in front of my eyes, who amazed me at that time with her preference for men's fragrances.

At that time her attitude seemed extravagant to me - today I find that normal.

It dawned on me while I was dozing that I also heard Armani Gio pour Homme on her.

This fruity, bitter scent already announced their arrival, because it was not "of cardboard".
But that was my fair friend, who didn't call herself the Viking Woman either.
With her presence she could comfortably fill the full, partly fruity, powdery bitter scent.

He was too masculine for me, but she, the skilful carpenter, could carry him well.

The oak moss and the cedar also reminded me pleasantly of her workshop, where people walked on soft wood shavings.
The whole room was somehow sensual and creative at the same time.
Workshop fragrances always have an attraction for me that is almost erotic.

And I also find the evaporation of working people to be sexy.

Nice to look at when she stroked her hand over her sweating forehead, skilfully using heavy machines that exhaled something oily - and combined with the natural substances.

She lifted heavy planks - and made graceful, shapely furniture out of them - which again meant delicate miniature work.

And this distinctive combination of light and heavy I also find in Gio pour Homme again.

Afterwards in the cafe I had to sniff her again and again, because her aura was too tempting.

She looked at me big - and pulled burschikos her resumee: You stand on proletarian sex - my little one!
10.0 10.0/10

Sexy awakening
My absolute favorite fragrance for men. I find him incredibly attractive, for me he embodies the sensual side of masculinity. For me, the term "man" includes rough, strong, hard, aggressive, massive, bearish, harsh, headstrong and at the same time tender, loving, cuddly, gentle and cordial. Acqua di gio is such a soft fragrance, but unmistakably masculine, that he manages to capture the feeling I have waking up next to my husband. I gave him this fragrance, and he thinks it's great
7.0 6.0 7.0 9.0/10

The ultimate feel-good effect
This fragrance brings back so many memories. This is madness, no other fragrance gives an even wider smile to your face when you smell it.
You just get in a good mood right away, wonderful:)
But let's start with the description of the fragrance:

The top note is full of citrus fruits, just everything in it that goes. In my opinion, this fragrance has one of the best openings next to Bleu de Chanel, simply perfect. One gets immediately a very pleasant, noble, intensive freshness - which also produces the good mood effect. The great thing is that this combination lasts incredibly long. It takes an eternity for the heart note to unfold and the citrus mix to fade into the background. This is the creator of this ingenious fragrance simply succeeded, no doubt.
In the heart note, the spicier, partly with a hint of sweet. But this "sweet" is only very subtle, the citrus fruits from the top note are pushed into the background and continue to lend a fresh touch.
Rose - Peach - Coriander. Very brave to combine this, but I think the coriander is due to the spicy note (which of course is not bad at all). On the contrary, Acqua di Gio becomes more masculine.
In the base note, the citrus fruits disappear over time, and the rest comes out easily.

The durability is fully okay, of course it could be better, but the Sillage plays along. Nevertheless, for a rather aquatic fresh fragrance it is fully ok,
Keyword aquatic: In fact, this fragrance reminds me of the sea, of a nice evening walk on the beach.

The bottle is beautifully simple, in frosted glass optics, there are no defects. The spray head sprays a neat breeze, very noble appearance of the flacon.

The price is quite okay, however Armani typically somewhat more expensive, but it still goes.

Conclusion: summer, beach and sea. That's the right description for the fragrance. With a full portion of citrus, a good shelf life and a feel-good effect. Very refreshing little water for the gentleman, whereby, the ladies can also wear the:)

Have a nice Monday evening!
6.0 6.0 7.0 10.0/10

Nostalgia!
Pure nostalgia. Thanks to this fragrance, I am immersed in the world of perfumes. My uncle had this smell. I consciously perceived him when I was about 13 years old. Suddenly I became interested in perfumes and my journey began.
Meanwhile I have some very good perfumes and the Acqua di Gio Parfumo is my signature fragrance. However, I have never bought the original ADG. Because of the durability and simply because there are so many people. But last week I got a half bottle of this fragrance for free and I'm blown away. It brings back memories!
To the fragrance: FRESH, AQUATIC, MALE. A breeze of sea air while standing next to a lemon / bergamot field. It smells clean, fresh and just fantastic. Especially the heart note caught up with me once again. As soon as the coriander and the peach (? is it one ) are used there is hardly a fragrance for me that smells better. The fragrance is well received and gives many compliments. BUT. Now the big but. The performance. The shelf life is not very good. I have it on my skin for about 4-5 hours, with it clearly projected only in the first hour. Afterwards it is still perceptible for 2 hours on approx. 30 cm. In addition, the fragrance has already been worn much too much.
So I'll stay with Profumo, but I'll definitely be putting on the ADG several times this summer. Not for the others, for me! For the good memories!
6.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

Stolen (fresh) moments...
What does it happen when a woman wears a fragrance "for man"?
If the fragrance is Acqua di Giò ....the result is surprising!
I think that this scent can be considered unisex, because its fresh and complex acchord is very well composed and you smell not only the citrusy and aromatic notes you usually find in a masculin fragrance, but the gentle and flowery touch which make it wearable by women too. I prefer this version to the one for women (I also do not dislike, anyway...)
7.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

Fresh and classy
One of the best citrus fragrances I've came across.
Smells very refined, as expected from the Armani brand.
There's no way to go wrong with this one if you're into fresh and clean scents.
5.0 5.0 7.0/10

SmartyScent
A very light scent from heaven!
I really fell in love with this cologne, i find it very relaxing, appealing, fresh yet very classy.
I really couldn't stop smelling my rest :) unfortunately,, its only drawback is its performance, the longevity and sillage is really very week as it doesn't hold for more that 1 or 2 hours on my skin :(
10.0 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

MasterLi
Sun, sea, salt... and Mediterranean summer.
The first time I smelled this, I found it really appealing. There's just something about it that makes safe and likeable, which I still wonder about. Then, I tried other things, forgot about it, dismissed it. As my tastes grew, I called it cheap, common, used the word "aquatic" and put it out of my mind for a few years. That is until recently... when I revisited it, tried it with an open mind, and surprisingly... it was still appealing! It actually feels like lying on an Italian beach, after a swim in the Mediterranean on a hot day in summer.

To start off, I can understand it's popularity, but I'm going to try and focus on why it's popular. Aqua di Gio is the fragrance which started the aquatic trend of the late 90's and which continues to the present day. Put simply... it was a landmark in that field, and spawned countless imitations, very much like Davidoff's Cool Water did 8 years previously. To me this fragrance does not smell as cheap or as cliché as other people make it out to be. It is popular for a reason, and just because it's common doesn't mean it smells any less good.

If I just focus on it's smell, not it's reputation, I would say that it reminds me of the beach under the hot Mediterranean sun. I really think the advertising fits the fragrance perfectly. I get salt water, hits of peach, jasmine and musk. In fact, when I close my eyes I get the impression of a basket of peaches and herbs and flowers all drenched in seawater and left drying in the sun. I don't know why, but that smells fantastic on skin!

I think I know why this is so appealing to many people. Personally I think it's to do with the salty watery vibe it gives off, coupled with flowers and sweet musk. It smells like warm skin, like you just stepped out of the sea (note: this smells nothing like a swimming pool... for those of you talking about calone etc.). To me it gives off a sweet smell of sweat, mixed with sea water and a jasmine floral musk type vibe. In short, it's like stepping out of the sea on a beach in Southern Italy, that's what I get out of it.

Having said that, it's very common and I can only see this working in certain situations, namely summer (especially hot summer days, I think it would do amazingly well then), any situation which involves swimming (beach, pool, vacations), I think it's perfect for a summer holiday by the beach; and finally I find it works best in casual situations, definitely a t-shirt and jeans type scent. Maybe a white or light coloured shirt but never a suit.

Yes it's common, a best-seller worldwide, but in the right type of situation (beach holidays, swimming, t-shirt casual), it works amazingly well. Summer Classic!

Edit: If you're interested in the "Essenza" version released in 2012, I couldn't find much difference between the two just that the eau de parfum focuses more on the woody and floral aspects of the original and less on the aquatic, fresh citrus side.
5.0 5.0 5.0 4.0/10

Weak summer
When Acqua di Gio was released, it was very innovative. It has almost created a new "genre" in the designers house: aquatics.

Today, however, it's been copied by a lot of brands. I mean it has been taken as base for many summer fragrances.

Anyway, it's still a great summer fragrance, but seems it has been watered down lately: the lasting power has always been weak, but it's been weaker lately.

Updated January 2014
7.0/10

Drseid
Helped Start A Trend But Should We Be Thankful?...
A tenuous thumbs up for this one. Enough has already been said elsewhere and everywhere about the notes, etc. I find it a pleasant enough aquatic, but way over-rated and over used. I own a bottle, and once or twice a year during the Summer will use it, but I find that the scent just is not really my cup of tea (like most other aquatics) and I almost always reach for something else. That said, Aqua di Gio still deserves credit for being the catalyst for the trend towards aquatics in general, earning 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5.
5.0 7.5 7.5 4.0/10

Yawn-worthy and highly overrated
Acqua di Gio is one of those fragrances I just do not understand. The mere thought of hooking up with a guy wearing this would probably be a deal-breaker for me, as shallow as that sounds.

Aquatics and citrus based scents don't go down too well with me. I find Acqua di Gio sharp and irritating. There are some citrus masculines I adore, for example, Acqua di Parma's Colonia and L'eau d'Issey pour Homme, yet this incredibly popular fragrance just can't, and will not appeal to my tastes.

The opening is heavy with citrus accords, most notably lemon, lime and bergamot. To my nose these notes are not crisp nor refreshing, but rather astringent and metallic. The ocean water note makes matters worse, introducing an odd and somewhat clashing salt accord.

Acqua di Gio is the masculine equivalent to D&G Light Blue for Women. Both fragrances are popular citrus scents that fall into either a love it or hate it category.

Perhaps in a gym or a sports situation, Acqua di Gio is tolerable, however I find too many guys wearing this during Winter, out clubbing, or in the worst case scenario, applying it far too heavily which leaves me gasping for air. It's a Summer fragrance and should be worn casually, in moderate doses.

Due to its popularity and expensive price tag, I know many men will buy it thinking it's the best smelling thing in the world and that it attracts women like bees to a honey pot. Marketing is not always accurate. Sniff around before putting your cash on the register for this one.
7.5 7.5 5.0 9.0/10

The Brand is Brand
GIO really Rocks the summer. The projection is good, but longevity is about 4 to 5 hrs on my skin. Its the best summer fragrance in the world.

Zirkon 57 days ago
If there is ever a mathematical unit for perfume, my suggestion would be - 1 Gio per second squared.
9.0
Carlitos01 81 days ago
A pleasing fresh citrus & sea breeze icon that became just to common. Its uniqueness disapeared long ago and it seems overpriced now. Is it?+5
Vilar 12 months ago
Iconic. Groundbreaking. This is a scent that will be (re)discovered by generations for years to come.+1
JoaoMartins 14 months ago
Can't stand this Perfume. Makes me nauseous. I don't know how people are still wearing this crap in 2018
0.5
Darkbeat 18 months ago
Acqua Di Gio is the freshest and most versatile perfume that exists, an authentic generator of compliments.+3
StarA1 21 months ago
Refreshing sensations of vitality and purity+1
5.0

Perlende Frische (Dreiblättriger Glücksklee)
by Santalwalti
Leuchtender Schimmer von Perlen aus Glas • Barfuß durch traumerfrischendes Nass • Die Sonne belebend das Blattwerk verziert • Malerisch spiegelnd, mein Blick sich verliert
by Santalwalti
by Miaw2
by Safranek
by Safranek

Popular Giorgio Armani

Acqua di Giò pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Acqua di Giò Profumo (Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Armani Code / Black Code (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Armani Code pour Femme (Eau de Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Sì (Eau de Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani...lei/elle/she/ella/女... by Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gioia (Eau de Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani...lui/il/he/él/男... by Giorgio Armani Armani Code Profumo by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Oud Royal by Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani - Stronger With You by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Cuir Noir by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Rose d'Arabie by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Myrrhe Impériale by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Ambre Orient by Giorgio Armani Acqua di Giò Essenza by Giorgio Armani Eau de Nuit (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Eau Pour Homme (1984) (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Armani Code Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani