Acqua di Giò pour Homme (1996) Eau de Toilette

Acqua di Giò pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani
Acqua di Giò pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) (Giorgio Armani)

Acqua di Giò pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Giorgio Armani for men and was released in 1996. The scent is fresh-aquatic. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Jasmine, Lime, Mandarin, Orange, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCyclamen, Freesia, Hyacinth, Coriander, Marine notes, Peach, Mignonette, Rose, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Musk, Patchouli, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 11.12.2018

Bottle 6.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Stolen (fresh) moments...
What does it happen when a woman wears a fragrance "for man"?
If the fragrance is Acqua di Giò ....the result is surprising!
I think that this scent can be considered unisex, because its fresh and complex acchord is very well composed and you smell not only the citrusy and aromatic notes you usually find in a masculin fragrance, but the gentle and flowery touch which make it wearable by women too. I prefer this version to the one for women (I also do not dislike, anyway...)
Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Fresh and classy
One of the best citrus fragrances I've came across.
Smells very refined, as expected from the Armani brand.
There's no way to go wrong with this one if you're into fresh and clean scents.
Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
A very light scent from heaven!
I really fell in love with this cologne, i find it very relaxing, appealing, fresh yet very classy.
I really couldn't stop smelling my rest :) unfortunately,, its only drawback is its performance, the longevity and sillage is really very week as it doesn't hold for more that 1 or 2 hours on my skin :(
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 7.0/10
Sun, sea, salt... and Mediterranean summer.
The first time I smelled this, I found it really appealing. There's just something about it that makes safe and likeable, which I still wonder about. Then, I tried other things, forgot about it, dismissed it. As my tastes grew, I called it cheap, common, used the word "aquatic" and put it out of my mind for a few years. That is until recently... when I revisited it, tried it with an open mind, and surprisingly... it was still appealing! It actually feels like lying on an Italian beach, after a swim in the Mediterranean on a hot day in summer.

To start off, I can understand it's popularity, but I'm going to try and focus on why it's popular. Aqua di Gio is the fragrance which started the aquatic trend of the late 90's and which continues to the present day. Put simply... it was a landmark in that field, and spawned countless imitations, very much like Davidoff's Cool Water did 8 years previously. To me this fragrance does not smell as cheap or as cliché as other people make it out to be. It is popular for a reason, and just because it's common doesn't mean it smells any less good.

If I just focus on it's smell, not it's reputation, I would say that it reminds me of the beach under the hot Mediterranean sun. I really think the advertising fits the fragrance perfectly. I get salt water, hits of peach, jasmine and musk. In fact, when I close my eyes I get the impression of a basket of peaches and herbs and flowers all drenched in seawater and left drying in the sun. I don't know why, but that smells fantastic on skin!

I think I know why this is so appealing to many people. Personally I think it's to do with the salty watery vibe it gives off, coupled with flowers and sweet musk. It smells like warm skin, like you just stepped out of the sea (note: this smells nothing like a swimming pool... for those of you talking about calone etc.). To me it gives off a sweet smell of sweat, mixed with sea water and a jasmine floral musk type vibe. In short, it's like stepping out of the sea on a beach in Southern Italy, that's what I get out of it.

Having said that, it's very common and I can only see this working in certain situations, namely summer (especially hot summer days, I think it would do amazingly well then), any situation which involves swimming (beach, pool, vacations), I think it's perfect for a summer holiday by the beach; and finally I find it works best in casual situations, definitely a t-shirt and jeans type scent. Maybe a white or light coloured shirt but never a suit.

Yes it's common, a best-seller worldwide, but in the right type of situation (beach holidays, swimming, t-shirt casual), it works amazingly well. Summer Classic!

Edit: If you're interested in the "Essenza" version released in 2012, I couldn't find much difference between the two just that the eau de parfum focuses more on the woody and floral aspects of the original and less on the aquatic, fresh citrus side.
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 4.0/10
Weak summer
When Acqua di Gio was released, it was very innovative. It has almost created a new "genre" in the designers house: aquatics.

Today, however, it's been copied by a lot of brands. I mean it has been taken as base for many summer fragrances.

Anyway, it's still a great summer fragrance, but seems it has been watered down lately: the lasting power has always been weak, but it's been weaker lately.

Updated January 2014
Scent 7.0/10
Helped Start A Trend But Should We Be Thankful?...
A tenuous thumbs up for this one. Enough has already been said elsewhere and everywhere about the notes, etc. I find it a pleasant enough aquatic, but way over-rated and over used. I own a bottle, and once or twice a year during the Summer will use it, but I find that the scent just is not really my cup of tea (like most other aquatics) and I almost always reach for something else. That said, Aqua di Gio still deserves credit for being the catalyst for the trend towards aquatics in general, earning 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5.
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 4.0/10
Yawn-worthy and highly overrated
Acqua di Gio is one of those fragrances I just do not understand. The mere thought of hooking up with a guy wearing this would probably be a deal-breaker for me, as shallow as that sounds.

Aquatics and citrus based scents don't go down too well with me. I find Acqua di Gio sharp and irritating. There are some citrus masculines I adore, for example, Acqua di Parma's Colonia and L'eau d'Issey pour Homme, yet this incredibly popular fragrance just can't, and will not appeal to my tastes.

The opening is heavy with citrus accords, most notably lemon, lime and bergamot. To my nose these notes are not crisp nor refreshing, but rather astringent and metallic. The ocean water note makes matters worse, introducing an odd and somewhat clashing salt accord.

Acqua di Gio is the masculine equivalent to D&G Light Blue for Women. Both fragrances are popular citrus scents that fall into either a love it or hate it category.

Perhaps in a gym or a sports situation, Acqua di Gio is tolerable, however I find too many guys wearing this during Winter, out clubbing, or in the worst case scenario, applying it far too heavily which leaves me gasping for air. It's a Summer fragrance and should be worn casually, in moderate doses.

Due to its popularity and expensive price tag, I know many men will buy it thinking it's the best smelling thing in the world and that it attracts women like bees to a honey pot. Marketing is not always accurate. Sniff around before putting your cash on the register for this one.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
The Brand is Brand
GIO really Rocks the summer. The projection is good, but longevity is about 4 to 5 hrs on my skin. Its the best summer fragrance in the world.

Darkbeat 7 months ago
Acqua Di Gio is the freshest and most versatile perfume that exists, an authentic generator of compliments.+1
Bottle 7.0
Sillage 6.0
Longevity 5.0
Scent 9.5
Vilar 6 days ago
Iconic. Groundbreaking. This is a scent that will be (re)discovered by generations for years to come.
JoaoMartins 70 days ago
Can't stand this Perfume. Makes me nauseous. I don't know how people are still wearing this crap in 2018
Bottle 5.0

• by Miaw2 by Miaw2
  • by Safranek by Safranek
  • by Leimbacher by Leimbacher

Popular Giorgio Armani

Acqua di Giò pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Armani Code / Black Code (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Armani Code pour Femme (Eau de Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Sì (Eau de Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani...lei/elle/she/ella/女... by Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gioia (Eau de Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Acqua di Giò Profumo by Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani...lui/il/he/él/男... by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Oud Royal by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Cuir Noir by Giorgio Armani Armani Code Profumo by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Rose d'Arabie by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Myrrhe Impériale by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Ambre Orient by Giorgio Armani Acqua di Giò Essenza by Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani - Stronger With You by Giorgio Armani Armani Code Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Eau de Nuit (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Eau Pour Homme (1984) (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani