Acqua di Giò pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani

Acqua di Giò pour Homme 1996 Eau de Toilette

08.09.2012 - 05:12 PM
Helpful Review

Yawn-worthy and highly overrated

Acqua di Gio is one of those fragrances I just do not understand. The mere thought of hooking up with a guy wearing this would probably be a deal-breaker for me, as shallow as that sounds.

Aquatics and citrus based scents don't go down too well with me. I find Acqua di Gio sharp and irritating. There are some citrus masculines I adore, for example, Acqua di Parma's Colonia and L'eau d'Issey pour Homme, yet this incredibly popular fragrance just can't, and will not appeal to my tastes.

The opening is heavy with citrus accords, most notably lemon, lime and bergamot. To my nose these notes are not crisp nor refreshing, but rather astringent and metallic. The ocean water note makes matters worse, introducing an odd and somewhat clashing salt accord.

Acqua di Gio is the masculine equivalent to D&G Light Blue for Women. Both fragrances are popular citrus scents that fall into either a love it or hate it category.

Perhaps in a gym or a sports situation, Acqua di Gio is tolerable, however I find too many guys wearing this during Winter, out clubbing, or in the worst case scenario, applying it far too heavily which leaves me gasping for air. It's a Summer fragrance and should be worn casually, in moderate doses.

Due to its popularity and expensive price tag, I know many men will buy it thinking it's the best smelling thing in the world and that it attracts women like bees to a honey pot. Marketing is not always accurate. Sniff around before putting your cash on the register for this one.

Latest Reviews

MisskMissk 5 years ago
☮ by Kenzo - Kenzo

☮ by Kenzo Smooth and Powdery
I absolutely adore this fragrance. I am very thankful to Sherapop for having given me the opportunity to try this rare gem. Kenzo Vintage Edition has all the qualities I enjoy smelling in a fragrance. It is both powdery and feminine on my skin,...

MisskMissk 5 years ago
Love In White (Eau de Parfum) - Creed

Love In White (Eau de Parfum) Not What I Expected...
Love in White by Creed is a surprisingly crisp, citrusy scent on my skin. I also find it rather difficult to wear, perhaps the only time I reach for it is during the midst of Summer when the weather is unbearably hot. Love in White is not something...