Acqua di Gioia (2010) Eau de Parfum

Acqua di Gioia (Eau de Parfum) by Giorgio Armani

Acqua di Gioia (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Giorgio Armani for women and was released in 2010. The scent is fresh-aquatic. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesMint leaf, Water note, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Peony, Pink pepper
Base Notes Base NotesBrown sugar, Labdanum, Cedar

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 03.03.2019

5.0 5.0 5.0 5.0/10
Surprisingly Sugary
The lemon opening combined with mint is very refreshing. The middle notes with jasmin, pink pepper and peony are all that I like. But the sugar makes it way too sweet, almost gives me tooth-ache. I was really surprised to find it that sweet regarding to the image given by the campaign.

The longevity is 6h+ and the sillage is moderate.

A curious thing that apart from the sugar, it reminds me of Matthew Williamson Lotus, though they have completely different notes. Probably because both are firmly in the genre of aquatic floral.

Originally written in 2013
7.5 7.5 7.5 7.0/10
Refreshing mint candy
I am crazy about mint. I love it in any form or shape, so naturally I really like this scent. What is interesting about this scent that it combines the sweet gourmand, aromatic and citrus trends and somehow this mixture works. This scent is energetic, refreshing and fun to wear on a hot day. The sweetness surprisingly withstands the heat quite well. It reminds me of a nice relaxing day in a garden with my straw hat, iced mint tea and tons of sunshine.

Aqua di Gioia opens with a lovely lemon mixed with strong mint and sweetness from sugar. The scent evolves into minty heart notes with some sugary water, peony and a dab of pink pepper. I know that the composition sounds bizarre but somehow on my skin it works lovely even on a hot day. The dry down is at first sweet but then it becomes woodier with cedar with resins (labdanum). The longevity and sillage are decent.

I would recommend sampling before buying. Though I love the funky lemon – mint – sugar combination, this might not work for everyone. But for me, it has been a lovely scent that I have used a lot during last summer and planning on using soon again when the weather gets hotter.
7.5 7.5 4.0/10
Sharp, sugary fruit salad
Acqua di Gioia, if anything, is not really floral. It's more of a fruity aquatic, somewhat strong in its approach.

I loved the original Acqua di Gio, with its delicately feminine and oceanic quality and that beautiful banana note. Acqua di Gioia doesn't have half the beauty of its predecessor.

This fragrance is more like something I would expect as a Summer release from Escada. It's sharp, overpowering, sugary fruit salad. There's no other way to describe it.

Giorgio Armani has made some lovely fragrances, however with this latest release, it feels like they are trying too hard to blend in with those other non-descript fruity florals on the market today.

The lemon and pineapple notes are far too sharp in the opening. I expect to smell something like this when I open a can of fruit salad, not when a spray a bottle of perfume on my skin.

The introduction of the sugar note is almost nauseating. As much as I hate to say it, Acqua di Gioia smells cheap.

I can see that many people like this fragrance, and I don't discriminate against that in the least. Scent is a very personal thing, however in my case this is one of the worst perfumes I've ever encountered.

The sillage and lasting strength of Acqua di Gioia is very, very impressive. For those that buy this, you will be experiencing this fragrance for days and possibly weeks if it comes into contact with your clothes.
4.0/10
Down-market Armani
Acqua di Gioia is a sheer, fresh, watery floral. As it dries, it becomes quite sweet. With the sweetness and jasmine, this won't wear well on me in warm weather.

I like it but not enough to own it. There are SO many very good to excellent fragrances in this category, and Acqua di Gioia does not percolate to the top. It's not one of the best, but merely slightly better than average.

Had I tested this blind, I would have guessed it was more down-market than Armani. Not good enough to justify its price, in my opinion.

Feb
2011
5.0 5.0 6.0/10
Not a Flanker of Acqua di Gio, Thankfully
There seems to be a lot of anger and disappointment swirling about the air in which Giorgio Armani ACQUA DI GIOIA has been sprayed. I, in contrast, am pleasantly surprised. There are several reasons for this.

First, I dislike ACQUA DI GIO, so the fact that ACQUA DI GIOIA smells nothing like melons rotting in the sun on a sidewalk washed down with pungent cleaning fluid is already a victory of sorts.

Second, since I know Italian, I recognize that ACQUA DI GIOIA is a perfectly respectable name that need not be interpreted as a flanker. In fact, it's a clever play on Giorgio's name, that's all. It means water of joy, not water of Giorgio (ACQUA DI GIO) flanker.

Third, the opening reminds me very much of Fresh BROWN SUGAR, which I happen to like a lot. So that's already a plus, since I do not partake in the futile plagiarism allegation game. I frankly doubt that Dominique, Anne, and Loc raided the Fresh house to steal their recipes.

Fourth, I found to my great surprise that ACQUA DI GIOIA eventually morphs into a refreshing soapy drydown vaguely reminiscent of D&G SICILY, which I also happen to like a lot. And, see #3...

All in all, to my nose ACQUA DI GIOIA was a pleasant surprise. I'm not saying that I'll add it to my collection, but I'd certainly wear it if I had a bottle. Fresh, sparkling, sugary then citrusy and finally clean. They've managed to roll most modern trends into a single somehow coherent composition. Bravo!
10.0 10.0/10
Unisex much?
Shame on you Armani, this could have made an EXCELLENT unisex fragrance that you could have added to your lineup. There are PLENTY of fragrances designed "pour homme" that smell MUCH more feminine than this could ever DREAM of being. This is a nod towards you, joop! jump, Le male, 1 million and diesel Fuel for life. Enough of my complaining ass, lets move onto the scent.

THE LIQUID OF JOY.
I would be inclined to proclaim that the title suits. This fragrance is very refreshing, fruity and floral. I simply can't get ENOUGH of this masterpiece, it's like a horrible addiction. So bad that every time my boyfriend and i are even CLOSE to a macy's/bon-ton i'm mentioning how i can't wait to smell aqua di gioia. I think he may be mildy relieved i've finally made myself a decant.

The top is DOMINATED by a chilled ripe lemon and a squeeze of bergamot, chilled as well of course. I really enjoy the lemon in this one, it isn't that typical "grocery store" produce section lemon smell. Lest we forget the mint, probably giving the lemon it's chilled effect, because i dont necessarily smell it on it's own.

The heart is smoothed by a powdery jasmine, which again, i can't get enough of. I am a jasmine ADDICT! There is also some pink pepper giving that slightly sweet vegetal dirt esque plant smell, and peony which provides that "exciting" almost ADHD floral note. :).

The base is intimidating, with it's super realistic sugar note, it's sun drenched ceder, and syrupy floral labdanum. The sugar note is simply spot on, and i would encourage my readers to go and open their sugar jar and take a whiff, you'll understand what i mean.

Jazzy76 10 months ago
It's like a fresh oasis in a hot day : watery-fresh and aromatic, it's a well balanced fragrance perfect to wear in summer. High price.+3
6.0

by Vawallpa
by Madkat
by Madkat

Popular Giorgio Armani

Acqua di Giò pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Armani Code / Black Code (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Armani Code pour Femme (Eau de Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Sì (Eau de Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Acqua di Giò Profumo by Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani...lei/elle/she/ella/女... by Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gioia (Eau de Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani...lui/il/he/él/男... by Giorgio Armani Armani Code Profumo by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Oud Royal by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Cuir Noir by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Rose d'Arabie by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Myrrhe Impériale by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Ambre Orient by Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani - Stronger With You by Giorgio Armani Acqua di Giò Essenza by Giorgio Armani Armani Code Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Eau Pour Homme (1984) (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Eau de Nuit (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani