Armani Code Black Code 2004 Eau de Toilette

Armani Code / Black Code (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani
Armani Code is a popular perfume by Giorgio Armani for men and was released in 2004. The scent is spicy-sweet. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesOlive blossomOlive blossom Star aniseStar anise
Base Notes Base NotesGaiac woodGaiac wood LeatherLeather TobaccoTobacco Tonka beanTonka bean

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 16.05.2022.

Code Breaker
Armani Code finds a niche in the narrow field of designer masculines, thanks to the original notes of Fairy Liquid and green olives. The rest of it is standard masculine tropes like wood, citrus and leather, and there are quotes from Tommy and Cacharel pour l’Homme.

But with fruits and a mossy note it’s basically a Cool Water clone, which fits with the note of washing up liquid, a smell that would be familiar to many from ‘doing the dishes’. But, finding it in a cologne may have been quite a shock, and so, it would have been prudent to pair the green detergent with well known quotes and masculine themes to give Armani Code a more comforting familiarity.

That’s not to say this is comfortable; it’s bitter, in a hard masculine style with an oily woody texture that’s slightly softened by flowers, powder and a sweet base of amber. These introduce a feminine feel. And so, Armani Code plays with the codes in a way you wouldn’t expect from its imagery of the suited and booted hard man with a girl on his arm.

Even though it's a precursor to the Spiky Woods, both in odour and image, it’s far from their crass brutality – being smooth, integrated and well worked (except for the
varnish-like drydown which is a bit dodgy).

But, despite that, perhaps because Armani Code gives (a certain amount of) depth to the normally shallow masculine, it proved to be a big success.

(Black Code sample)

Autumn delight
Inspired by the recession of my pre-posters, I've been wearing Armani Code again for a long time.
After the first spray immediate enthusiasm!
Very delicious, fresh scent in the opening, after a while it transitions a bit into a warmer scent.
The ideal all-day companion in the fall, in my opinion.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Btw. The fragrance could also well come from Prada...
Completed average
I must admit that I had never tried this fragrance until now, because I already found the name so stupid.
Recently, I got a sample given to a purchase. Ok, I can not throw away untested. So on the skin and a day ran probe.
The fragrance should be reformulated, so I can only judge the actual state. On my skin, the fragrance smells as harmless as a Maltese puppy. Bit sweet, bit creamy, bit powdery. All together not bad. Can imagine the fragrance very well to 16 year old teenagers on their first date, best to tie the chosen directly with the nose that you wear Armani ;)
All in all, a mainstream with a reasonably good durability, which has its raison d'être for younger audiences

Slightly sweetened rubber leather
Armani Code itself is one of the fragrances that I've always been curious to test, both for the notes themselves and for the many positive comments made about it. It is, without a shadow of a doubt, a great perfume, but... I still expected more. I explain.

It is clearly a very high quality male perfume. Note that it is slim and elegant (we are talking about an Armani right?). The brand itself needs no comment!

Armani Code opens with a light citrus breeze, very light indeed and very fast, as anise with the wood note soon enters the scene (a great combination)! Then come the notes of tobacco and leather (note that predominated in my skin), followed by a light sweetness of tonka bean.

The reason why I expected more from this fragrance is in the sense that it was something sweeter, that it had a more intense tonka bean note. As the leather note predominated in me, I felt this scent a little more "closed" than I would have liked.

With this more intense leather note, I felt a slight rubbery touch, which immediately brought me back to Bvlgari Black. I'm not saying they're the same, it's just that on my skin, both highlighted this rubbery aroma, which I like a lot, just that I prefer Bvlgari because it has the vanilla note that made it sweeter than Armani.

Well, apart from this point that I expected a sweeter perfume, Armani Code is a very good fragrance indeed! Although it's not a blockbuster perfume, in the sense of not having an intense projection, it sticks well to the skin, which is a very positive point.

Elegant, refined and for men with class, Armani Code is an ideal perfume for those who want to feel smelly but don't want to attract too much attention. An excellent choice of perfume to wear at work!

Congratulations to Armani brand for this beautiful creation.
Very good fragrance
The fragrance pleases me personally very well. He keeps with me the COMPLETE day over. I have him even at 9h + still smelled good. The smell is very pleasant and also applicable in the spring to partly in the summer. However, tends basically more to the Winrerduft. Code is a mixture of fresh and sweet in total with the bottle a good price-performance fragrance

Explanation
This one is a little bit different to give rating for. I remember when first time bought it like 5 years ago and it was amazing. I got plenty of compliments, everyone asking what perfumes I'm wearing, it was one of the best at this time. And the saddest part that I bought it like 6 months ago and it really disappointed me. I don't know why but it had lack of everything, the scent was something cheap, it was too spicy and I had to respray it on myself constantly. Then I decided to read what happened and I found out it was reformulated... How sad is that, you have amazing perfume but you decided to change it and fail miserably. I wouldn't recommend to buy it now, unless, old formula will come back. It's a miss for me.
Classics never die out
This little masterpiece is already a few years old, but that doesn't do him any harm, as he still knows how to convince despite his age. And when I talk about age, I see this scent on a very mature and grown man and not on a milky boy. Not necessarily in a suit, but in someone who has both feet on the ground and who is neither aloof nor arrogant, but very down to earth and rather reserved, like a true gentleman. Yes, he definitely has his freshness, but what makes him so mature for me is the tobacco, the guaiac wood and the leather, these are also the two notes I smell the most. But as in many other fragrances, the leather here doesn't associate me so much with raspberry, but is very subtle in the background. The tobacco is not scratchy and the guaiac wood seems to be a fine sanded wood, without any edges and corners as I said above
I now have many fragrances and he has recently joined me and I am happy to have him in my collection, he is really so smooth and has a very calming effect on me
The bottle is really noble with the black and also the durability is completely fine on my skin, I am at 8 to even 10h, is always different
Clear recommendation to buy.

Demetera
Less performance than a sloth in the olympics
Somewhere got a sample from this (2020 reformulated one).
My first reaxtion was a big wow. Its fresh at the opening, masculine and woody with some sweeetness at the end, but in a very interesting way. I can imagine someone using it in a suit or with a leather jacket, or even in a farmer+pullover, so its a sweet/woody fragrance with amazing versatility. Its probably okay for spring too. wow, its not too common, lets get a flanker!

The flanker just arrived, Wowowowow! okay, its not a really strong one in performance (I like skin scents like la nuit), but lets spray 7 times, it could be enough!
After 1-2 hours i just realised there is nothing left from the Code. Respray time! Another 1-2 hours, and the code gone again.

So to be clear: I like the weak sillage scents, I prefer the ones where others just smell the fragrance when they are talk to me directly.
Nonetheless this one is not weak in projectivity, its just a really really weak one in longetivity and overall performance. Probably if I have a bath in it, its gone in 1-2 hours late too.
I’m a bit disappointed.
Farmi
How the failed reformulation dismantled a mainstream classic...
Guys, this is hard. Hard for my heart to take a trip down memory lane. Oh, no! :-(

But first the prehistory:
Who of you doesn't know this - even after many years of "perfume career" with strong evolution, you still often look back wistfully on your younger years, in which typical designer fragrances were often executed to your complete satisfaction. Nearly everyone had "the one", which he probably wouldn't even look at crossly today. With me it was the very first code - now it's out.

Code, then marketed as Black Code, was without question in. While most of the young clubbers with Le Male (and a little later One Million - uargh) polluted the local clubs with a sweet scent, the Armani buyers were - how ironic - with their choice of scents rather the (young) gentlemen who wanted to shine with a little more understatement. Less shouting, more whispering - had they ever managed to stand up to the above mentioned attention guns, the compliments were sure to come. In my 18-20s I have NOT received more compliments with NO fragrance than for Armani Code. I'm surprised, because especially the younger girls are more known for being attracted to colleagues like Le Male, Eros, 1 Million and Co. I enjoyed it - and Code became my long-runner without greater ambitions.

With time, other fragrances come, you develop further, you "rise". After years of break I unpacked the old code bottle again and enjoyed the memories that are awakened again with it.

Before the drydown I'm not quite clear about this yet - the (old) code is still too confused here and leaves (at least me) still confused about what it wants to become. I don't think the bergamot is as pronounced as some people say - but that also applies ONLY to the old code. When it is an hour old, it becomes the fragrance I loved so much. This slightly sweet-tart restraint, this delicate olive blossom, this depth without being pompous.

I always explain it like this:
He is simply not the ripper who honks his horn as he drives past in the Lambo - but the gentleman who prefers to park the Aston Martin around the corner and wants to shine with charm. I think you can still wear the code at the age of 50 - even if there would undoubtedly be a lot of handcrafted and historically superior fragrances here...

Enough raving, now comes the sad part of the story:
From time to time the code was dug out - but then it was empty! The last 125ml bottle stayed empty on the shelf for a long time - until I decided to get it again after some more years...

The anticipation was high, as it was again years of pause. But a hoped-for indulgence in youthful memories turned into an open mouth - what is THAT. A fake? Thinned? Hello? What have they done with MY CODE!?

I don't know what they did - and when the obvious reformulation came, I can't say exactly. But the result is a disgrace! The old code was still a creamy, gloomy, full and exciting "slop" (positively meant) - the new one is a WC-Stein Cologne with a shot of old code. Way too flat, too light, too windy. The durability (already not ideal back then) is also a bad joke. How can you just take away the complete character of a fragrance with a reformulation?

The old code was a fluffy blanket that you felt comfortable with. The new code is a sheet sprayed with toilet duck that someone forgot to put on. I'm sad, Armani!

Yesterday I bought myself an ancient bottle, just to make sure that my memory wasn't playing tricks on me - my head wasn't fooled. There it is again. My code. And I will cherish the 20ml sip left over when my head wants to go on a time travel back to youth.

Excelent modern classic!
I think this is a timeless fragrance on the designer side. Clean, sweet, subtle and sexy. It has born in 2004 but remains very modern. One of the best choices if you are begining a colection. You will not regret this one. Plus it´s a compliment getter.

KuraiKurai 1 year ago
When you go clubbing and intend to stay for just one drink, this is actually a pretty classy option. Warm, dark, smoky, not too sweet.
JFP26JFP26 1 year ago
Sweet masculine scent. For me tonka, anis and woods are the main players. Classy yet versatile. Better on mild weather. Good scent!
DemeteraDemetera 2 years ago
Extra safe pick. Gaiac wood and leather with a little sweetness. It's manly, with good ladies reactions. Problem: max 2 hours of performance
HubertGHubertG 2 years ago
Top 10 lifetime fragrances, the only fragrance I bought 3 times in a row, I love the anise, I prefer the original bottle. Must have.
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
I truly enjoy the initial burst of spices and citrus. It changes into a nearly powdery and smoky dry down. I fancy this for cold weather.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
Gaiac wood and leather sweetened by tonka & star anise. It's quite manly and ladies like it. It lacks performance to be a killer fragrance.
MrTeeMrTee 3 years ago
This is a timeless classic, period. One of those fragrances that you just have to experience if only once in a life time.
PioPio 3 years ago
Timeless classic.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 4 years ago
Wore 2 bottles of this one back in the days. I think the current formula is ultra synthetic compared to when it was just called Code Black
Jazzy76Jazzy76 4 years ago
Dark outside but not powerful: a citrusy-woody acchord which lasts on the skin only a few hours.Anyway, pleasant as daily scent

by Taurus1967
by Sahinisback
by Tiho
by Tiho

Popular by Giorgio Armani

Armani Privé - Sable Or by Giorgio Armani Armani (Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Acqua di Giò Profumo (Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Oud Royal by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Cuir Majesté by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Rouge Malachite by Giorgio Armani Armani (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Armani Code (Eau de Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani - Stronger With You Intensely by Giorgio Armani Sensi by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Ambre Orient by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Myrrhe Impériale by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Rose d'Arabie by Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani - Stronger With You Absolutely by Giorgio Armani Armani Code Satin by Giorgio Armani Armani Code Cashmere by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Cuir Noir by Giorgio Armani Armani Code Absolu Gold by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Ambre Eccentrico by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Bleu Turquoise by Giorgio Armani