Armani Privé - Bois d'Encens (2004)

Armani Privé - Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani

Armani Privé - Bois d'Encens is a popular perfume by Giorgio Armani for women and men and was released in 2004. The scent is spicy-smoky. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Michel Almairac

Top Notes Top NotesPepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesVetiver
Base Notes Base NotesFrankincense

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 02.03.2019

7.0 8.0 9.5/10
Minigolf
Merging of two fragrance giants
Each is a fragrance in its own right with many facets: vetyver and frankincense. But what the two of them manage to do together is a few sizes bigger than that.
In addition, it does not require many fragrances to create a rich fragrance. And it is precisely with this concept that the perfumers of Armani's "Bois d'Encens" hit the mark in the truest sense of the word.
There are three main actors, to be precise, there is still pepper in it. But this serves as a link between two otherwise so differently used, even ambivalent "own scents". The dark and roughness of the vetyver is combined with the "balsamic" and ethereal of the frankincense to create the "darkest" fragrance I have ever smelt.
Two "scent giants", joined together with the "putty" of pepper, are nevertheless not "heavy", despite their "blackness".
It resembles rather the lightless and weightless spaces between planets and galaxies in space.
And the "stuff" that still holds it all together. To avoid tearing up in "Big Rip" or contracting in "Big Crunch".
"Dark matter", soul-mates with deep melancholy as well as with a great confidence that everything that "ends" also finds a new beginning.
"Earthbound" Vetyver meets "cosmic" incense and creates something "huge". deep, with infinity related... further words would be superfluous..........
10.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10
Less is sometimes more
Bois D'Encens has long been my absolute favorite and signature perfume alongside TF Oud Wood.
Everything about cold churches and incense has already been written here and I can only agree with that.
Like Armani I associate with it a piece of childhood - I am not church but the smell of a church fascinates me to this day.
Bois D' Encens is fortunately very one-dimensional because I love to perceive a perfume always immediately.
When the first pepper is gone the incense stays for hours and my skin loves it and it stays with me for hours.
Larger scent developments would also disturb here and at the very end it sounds soft and almost sweet!
Mr Almairac has accompanied me without knowing it for a lifetime. Joop Homme, Zino Davidoff and Gucci Pour Homme 1 were my signature fragrances in their day!
It wasn't until Parfumo that I came across it and now it's Bois D' Encens and I've merged with him. It envelops me almost all year round and gives me a certain exclusivity and joy that I have only experienced before with Gucci Pour Homme 1 and Oud Wood.
I'm Bois D' Encens and the perfume just belongs to me.
I use the shower gel, the bath salts, the body lotion of Bois D' Encens and almost every evening in autumn/winter the perfumed Bois D' Encens candle burns, which then also envelops the living room in this wonderful scent Anyone who has ever stayed at the Armani Hotel in Dubai or Milan knows what I am talking about!
7.0 9.0 9.0/10
mado
For my incense treasure chest
Thanks to the sharing of Arran I came to this fragrance. 20 ml - I realized relatively quickly that this would probably last my whole life... Because Bois d'Encens is a fragrance that I want to wear exclusively for myself. Home when I feel like it. Otherwise it will be locked away and stored in my personal treasure chest.

As already described by other perfumers, Bois "frightens" D'Encens at the start with fresh, almost ethereal pepper. You think Blackpepper from CdG is violent? Test this one! After that, the stage undoubtedly belongs to incense.

But while the wonderful Copal Azur, for example, interprets incense rather maritime, Kyoto is modern and bright, or Vert d'Encens abducts you into an incense-fogged forest, Bois d'Encens takes the straight path without interpretations or gimmicks. This is incense! Directly from the priest's cauldron, sacred, highly spiritual and at the same time coolly distanced. I literally feel the cold stone of the church and hear in my head the monks murmuring like prayers. A special head cinema, which has hardly triggered a scent in this form for me so far.

With the hours the incense loses some depth, becomes (probably by the Vetiver) brighter and more pointed. But we're not leaving the church.

One can interpret his straightforwardness as boredom. Or deny him the suitability for everyday use on the basis of his spirituality. For me, Bois d'Encens is pure fascination and the perfect complement to my small but fine incense collection. Now I am still missing a floral interpreted incense (I am grateful for tips!), then I have made my olfactory peace with this topic. Amen.

*UPDATE, 17.07.18*
After a good week of testing, I have to conclude: What Morgul hints at in his answer here corresponds absolutely to my new impressions - even at the current temperatures he is much finer and more suitable for everyday use than I originally felt. I wear it now more often when I leave the house and it seems to me almost as if the fresh air does the scent totally good. The pepper note remains longer, but becomes milder with every hour. Together with the vetiver, light incense plus an ethereal note remains, which appears noble and reminds a little of a high-quality SPA. Impressive
8.0/10
a very special perfume
I love Encens and this was a great discovery for my husband's birthday. Although it is a bit peppery - i love this fragrance and its very spicey composition. Congratulation to Giorgio Armani.
Good recommendation for church lovers !

by Ghislaine
by Ghislaine
by Joe
by Joe
by Miggax
by Miggax

Popular Giorgio Armani

Acqua di Giò pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Armani Code / Black Code (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Armani Code pour Femme (Eau de Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Sì (Eau de Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Acqua di Giò Profumo by Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani...lei/elle/she/ella/女... by Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gioia (Eau de Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani...lui/il/he/él/男... by Giorgio Armani Armani Code Profumo by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Oud Royal by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Cuir Noir by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Rose d'Arabie by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Myrrhe Impériale by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Ambre Orient by Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani - Stronger With You by Giorgio Armani Acqua di Giò Essenza by Giorgio Armani Armani Code Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Eau Pour Homme (1984) (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Eau de Nuit (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani