Armani Privé - Oud Royal (2010)

Armani Privé - Oud Royal by Giorgio Armani

Armani Privé - Oud Royal is a popular perfume by Giorgio Armani for women and men and was released in 2010. The scent is woody-oriental. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesSaffron
Heart Notes Heart NotesOud, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Myrrh, Sandalwood, Frankincense

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 19.01.2020.

8.0 7.0 8.0 10.0/10

A restrained king with golden Patek Philippe
I chose this scent for my commentary deflowering. Why? Because, as the good YouTuber and mediocre perfumer from this uncharted territory likes to say, of all the fragrances I have ever tested, he likes the "scent DNA" best.

Saffron, oud and frankincense I take most present. However, they cannot be clearly separated from each other. The ingredients are rather intertwined with each other in such a way that one has to speak of a fragrant mass that smells like "noble". You could also say it smells like "expensive". So they harmonize very well with each other. For me it is so good that I would say it is the most beautiful fragrance composition ever created. The scent is linear for me, so it smells relatively similar from beginning to end with decreasing intensity. However, unlike many Tom Fords, he manages to do this without being one-dimensional. My thumbs up.

If I had to imagine a king - not a simple sheikh - from the Arab world descending with his entourage at the Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills late at night. Driving a midnight black Rolls Royce, wearing a Thawb. But a black and gold one, not a white one. He would smell of this scent. So the name Oud Royal is quite aptly chosen.

But there is only one problem: The sheik would smell the same, but much stronger. He would make the entire lobby of the Waldorf Astoria smell like his Sillage for an hour after he left. And this is exactly where my problem with the fragrance lies: Don't get me wrong - the durability is already great. Even if she can't quite reach an oud Ispahan, it still sticks to my jacket collar days, weeks later. But it's been in there about 10, 12 hours. After an opulent prelude, the Sillage is so subtle after about 30 minutes to one hour that it is hardly noticeable through the surrounding area. Usually friends greet me with a "it oudelt so nice again". When I wear Oud Royal, however, there is never any comment. This is also in line with my impression: after the first hour you have to get very close to the sprayed body part to still be able to perceive the perfume. The restrained dosage of a spray certainly plays its part in this. If I wear too much, however, it is perceived as intrusive and unpleasant. Therefore, one walks with the Oud Royal on a narrow degree. If dosed too weakly, it is hardly noticed by the environment - too high doses are more penetrating. Therefore, it takes some practice to actually realize the potential of the fragrance composition. This is also the title of the commentary - the fragrance is the most restrained show-off you can imagine.

Since I got the fragrance, buying perfume has become much more difficult for me. Why? Because I'm still looking for a fragrance with a DNA identical or very similar to the Oud Royal, but with a sillage appropriate to it. The search for this fragrance occupies me so much that other perfume DNAs are currently finding it difficult to satisfy me. Maybe someone in the perfume community has an insider tip, I would be happy to hear about it.

To all who have read to the end, a good and successful day!
9.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

Oud Rose Royal
The quality of this elixir is superb, both scently and materially. A fragrance of clear oriental inspiration, forceful and exquisite.

From the beginning you can perceive the rose and the oud, with some saffron and even a small smoky hue, very elegant. This beginning is very woody, spicy, a balsamic tad, and somewhat smoky, with a velvety rose, beautifully sprinkled with sensuality and elegance. The rose is extremely well fused to the other notes, and does not feel as blunt as in other perfumes based on this threshed mixture of oud-rose. Then the rose and saffron begin to falter, and the aroma begins to take shades of sandalwood and amber, feeling the creamy aroma, warm and sweet, rejoicing very well to oud and incense, which provide the final tandem to recreate a beautiful aroma of creamy, spicy, resinous, smoked, sweet and warm wood that makes mouth watering to lovers of this type of perfume, truly a perfume that exudes exclusivity and luxury.

Its longevity is quite good, in my case it has lasted about 9 hours, with a moderate projection from the beginning, although the first hour was somewhat more remarkable, anyway, it is not bad performance. It is a nocturnal fragrance for cool and temperate times, although in an event, special or formal, daytime, it would not clash at all.

The aroma looks something like Incense Oud by Kilian.
8.0 8.0 9.0 6.0/10

Filthy. Depressing. Portable
Armani Privé Oud Royal is in every sense what one understands by niche fragrance. Very unusual and not necessarily accessible.

OR is one thing above all else: Oud. A lot of oud. And not in a simple way, rather it's the rotten, dirty oud that almost seems a bit animalistic. That alone would be intolerable, but luckily there are still the scents around it. The saffron should be mentioned in the first place. This one is really strong at the opening and lasts surprisingly long. With this OR definitely strikes in the spicy oriental direction. The fine rose, which in itself is beautifully clear and almost fresh, is not as large as it should be. Unfortunately, it goes down in the bitter muff of Oud. The interplay of all fragrances is wearable, but undisputedly dirty. The first Rose-Oud combination that constantly creates associations of foot odour. My environment occasionally perceives it as an old book.

OR as a whole is a really thick, heavy fragrance, room-filling and overwhelming, tending powdery. A beautiful composition that makes Oud appear noble and actually velvety, supple, almost as if it were textile like satin. The question of wearability or the occasion is difficult, as the fragrance has its dark sides.

Intense, projecting and long lasting, for me close to Sillage monsters. Economical use is the order of the day. Well wearable with Tom Fords Noir de Noir. It doesn't knock me down personally for the price

Western Oud
Once the initial weirdness of putty, hot plastic and dentists surgery have settled down, Oud Royal reveals its true colours. Tones of incense, rose, black liquorice and a sweet powderiness of amber augment the rich phenolic bitter-woody core of Oud.

The structure has a nice edgy feel, substantial enough to avoid becoming sharp or thin, and a red-brown, hard slightly oily mahogany texture which is very satisfying.

Once the profile has resolved itself into the core message, it's essentially straight and true thereafter, fading to an overtone of incense in around four hours.

Agarwood is a distinctive material. If you don't like strong or raw notes this may not be for you, but if you like Oud you might find something of interest in this Evelyne Boulanger composition.

Armani Privé's take is not an easy ride. Royal Oud is well named; it has a refined air and demands to be paired up with only the most sartorial of outfits. Its sillage would not be out of place in the lobby of a grand hotel, but a simple well fitting shirt and jeans may do just as well.

The high price, linearity, the sometimes synthetic feel and its poor longevity are all issues with Oud Royal, but if you are looking for an agarwood that's easily accessible this is one to try.
8.0/10

Leather & Oud
I sniffed this before looking at the notes and what I got was straightforward: leather and oud, and a nice one. Now that I've seen the notes, yes, I can twist my brain around to smell musky saffron, rose, incense definitely and amber, but put them together and they're a gorgeous leather, mixed with oud. Bottom line--if you like leather and you like oud, this won't disappoint. Hubby sure likes it. Me, too.
7.5 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

OUD with a tender Soul!
MASTERPIECE!

Gosh.I can tell I have tried a lot of parfum in my young life of 30 now. Also I worked in a sensory lab for a short time and my nose is mostly very sensitive to some smells and odors.
Seeking again and again for a Winterfragrance like every year I found this Masterpiece. Oud is trendy today I know...so I tried 7 different Niche Oud Parfums on the market and only Tom Fords Oud Wood I kinda liked soso until I found OUD royal in Hamburg for 210 € after i read some raving reviews. I fell in love with the sample and in Berlin I had the chance to grap it for 190€ again but I still waited cause I am a broke student right now and bought Molton Brown ROGART before(fantastic,rarely composition of a fresh wood Scent). In Amsterdam for 150€ I got crazy and paid for it after all. Even tho I own a lot of Niche parfums and always push me back buying more I couldnt resist. For everyone who likes it woody and warm this is the scent to go, iI get the OUD, Amber and less Incense, stays quite long on clothes. On my skin it is getting sweeter. My top No.1 after 5 years of seeking. Highly recommend to all OUD Lovers out there. I think it is the best in its Category. Armani please dont let this discontinue! BRAVO!

scent: 9/10

by Gwiazdka72
by Piladilibri
by Piladilibri

Popular Giorgio Armani

Acqua di Giò pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Acqua di Giò Profumo (Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Armani Code / Black Code (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Armani Code pour Femme (Eau de Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Sì (Eau de Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani...lei/elle/she/ella/女... by Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gioia (Eau de Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani...lui/il/he/él/男... by Giorgio Armani Armani Code Profumo by Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani - Stronger With You by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Rose d'Arabie by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Cuir Noir by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Myrrhe Impériale by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Ambre Orient by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani Acqua di Giò Essenza by Giorgio Armani Eau de Nuit (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Eau Pour Homme (1984) (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Ambre Eccentrico by Giorgio Armani Armani Code Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani