Eau de Nuit 2013 Eau de Toilette

Eau de Nuit (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani
Bottle Design Rozenn Mainguené
Eau de Nuit (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Giorgio Armani for men and was released in 2013. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
NutmegNutmeg
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber
Tonka beanTonka bean
CedarCedar

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 28.08.2021.

Fragleo
A very personal journey into the past
This fragrance was for me the starting signal in the world of fragrances.
I lived abroad for a while and there this was my all-rounder fragrance. I now associate a lot of memories with this smell. Funny how a fragrance can really bring out very detailed images in your mind (like a movie theater).

Today I was spontaneously at my perfumery of confidence to train a little my nose. There, among all the Xerjoffs and Roja perfumes, I suddenly rediscovered this small stylish and simple black bottle.
I was directly ready to reminisce.

This fragrance smells extremely unique for a designer fragrance in my opinion.
The combination of pepper, iris and tonka bean is dreamy and develops on my skin after about an hour to a slightly powdery-woody veil.

Durability and sillage could of course still be a step better but that's not crucial for me personally.

I am just grateful that I have rediscovered this fragrance
The Beginning
With this fragrance everything started with me, which is why my first comment is dedicated to this fragrance.

When it came out, college student, no money. Surprisingly get it as a gift. When it was empty, got the OUD version as a gift. But I really needed the EDT version without OUD again, so bought it myself.

For me, the fragrance is unique. Many that are similar, but none of the raussticht.
Perfect for university, work or even for the date.
Frequently get positive feedback, even from men. Apparently the sillage was perceptible. The bottle classic in the beautiful style of Armani as one imagines fine fashion by Armani. The fragrance DNA for me unique. About the durability you can argue. The intense fragrance fades after 2-3 hours at the latest. What remains is a thin layer of this fragrance on the skin, which is still slightly perceptible 6-8 hours later. But then this also evaporates and remains only a fragrance, which is perceived subconsciously or in intimate togetherness of the other.
N471v3
For me a relic from primeval times and therefore an interesting object of research
I had Eau de Nuit I think before I owned Dior Homme, La Nuit de L'Homme, Herod, The One, and many others. It was actually one of my first good, - to better fragrances.
I can still remember how I enjoyed and celebrated that sweet-spicy vibe back then, it really made me feel special when wearing it, as I had never consciously smelled anything like it on anyone else. (Powdery-sweet-spicy men's fragrances...)

However, has the fragrance for me something about it, which leads to the fact that I have worn him over the years then hardly.
I quickly came to the forerunners of the genre (Dior Homme series, for example), which for me are simply even more interesting and tingling to smell, and to wear.
And from that point on, this fragrance was just too redundant.

Which is actually odd... let's look at the notes:

Bergamot, cardamom, cedar.
A tried and true blend from La Nuit de L'Homme, my all-time favorite scent.

Iris, amber, tonka bean, heliotrope.
Iris (Dior Homme), Amber (e.g. Baldessarini Ambre, or Prada L'Eau Ambreé), all very sensual notes or accents, which I also like to smell.
But hello... so much sweet at once, that's almost overkill. Honestly, half of it would certainly be enough.

But why not design a more complex fragrance, than him only (as so often Usus) build on tonka bean or so...?

But I'm afraid that's exactly what Eau de Nuit does wrong: too much of everything.

Now after years(decades)of using DH, LNDL and companions, I smell Eau de Nuit, and can switch in my head: I can either feel it in its lush entirety, or perceive the olfactory axes in isolation, thinking of fragrances that have a similar set piece.
For example, sweet, powdery iris from Dior Homme.

But somehow there's always something too much, it's too full and overflowing with sweet-spicy accents, making you feel "overdressed" with it all the time, I think.

It's like putting a cocktail cherry, a dollop of whipped cream, and then sprinkles of sugar on top of Dior Homme Intense. This is just too much of a good thing!

Thus, the fragrance is for me somehow hardly suitable for everyday use, and also in the evening or on occasions, there are then just too many alternatives in this direction, which have a better counterbalance, or are simply better balanced.

Eau de Nuit is probably simply also a different target group (as I Jungspund ;P), it is rather for the 45+ year old business gentleman intended, who does not want to seem too plump at the dinner party, by wearing for example Armani Code.
Just a bit more special, but at the same time not too flashy, and yes not too much tarnish.

By the way, I actually feel Eau de Nuit like a more grown-up, perfumier version of the Code series, which also tends to be too sweet for me. But just clearly the Armani DNA.

Finally, I would like to say, somehow I still find the fragrance special, and very well done. However, he is by described problems never quite ascended to my fragrance Olympus.

Who but Code, or other very sweet things like to wear, could find something special here that something more dignified and adult works, and still powdery, sweet and spicy underlines the masculinity.

Shrug in a bottle
Halfway Paul Smith Man and Dior Homme, a sort of spicy-dusty “grey” iris-tonka fragrance loaded with synthetic amber nuances, a ton of cheap soapy musk (you’ll get it all on the drydown) and a hint of smoke. Clearly similar to Dior Homme – the kind of “similar” connecting a counterfeit PU leather replica of a Hermès Birkin bag to the original one. A strong will to be content with very little, a bit of imagination and really low pretenses can make the purchase worthy. The same here; Eau de Nuit smells heavily and almost annoyingly cheap and not exactly “inspired” from the point of view of the creativity... but well, it works somehow, especially since the prices seem quite low. It’s warm, slightly sweet, dark but gentle, a resemblance with the drydown of Body Kouros pops out on the drydown. *Indifferent shrug*.

5,5-6/10

RisendyRisendy 1 year ago
Heavy iris in the opening reminds of Dior Homme, sweet tonka/amber drydown. Dark, elegant, classy fragrance. Sadly performs below average.
HitchslapHitchslap 5 years ago
Sprayed some on the back of my hand before sleep. Six hours later I couldn't smell anything at all. High quality but anemic performance.

by Royalo
by Night88
by Calista
by Calista

Popular Giorgio Armani

Armani (Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Sable Or by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Cuir Majesté by Giorgio Armani Acqua di Giò Profumo (Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Rouge Malachite by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Oud Royal by Giorgio Armani Armani (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Armani Code (Eau de Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Sensi by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Myrrhe Impériale by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Ambre Orient by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Rose d'Arabie by Giorgio Armani Armani Code Satin by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Cuir Noir by Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani - Stronger With You Intensely by Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani - Stronger With You Absolutely by Giorgio Armani Armani Code Cashmere by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - New York by Giorgio Armani Sì (Fiori Eau de Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Ambre Eccentrico by Giorgio Armani