Acqua di Giò Profondo 2020

Acqua di Giò Profondo by Giorgio Armani
Acqua di Giò Profondo is a new perfume by Giorgio Armani for men and was released in 2020. The scent is aquatic-fresh. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
Brazilian green mandarin orangeBrazilian green mandarin orange
AquozoneAquozone
Heart Notes Heart NotesRosemaryRosemary
LavenderLavender
CypressCypress
Mastic absoluteMastic absolute
Base Notes Base NotesMineral amberMineral amber
Guatemala patchoulyGuatemala patchouly
MuskMusk

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 20.09.2021.

Oero27
May the Force be with you..
"Dad? Did you buy the shower gel with Darth Vader?" -That was actually the very first reaction when I gave the fragrance its chance outside the germ-free confines of the perfumery. And there were an unexpected number of reactions... The most telling one for me came from a puzzled looking and actually always rather reserved colleague. "You always smell so good!" was her feedback, delivered with a distinct frown. Without exception, every comment was a thumbs down of some sort, and Acqua di Giò Profondo gets that from me too.

The beautiful linear -if in my eyes ultimately somewhat uncreative- composition of the fragrance notes has piqued my interest in a fresh-woody summer fragrance with the potential to be a summer "always-goer". And it was disappointed.

The bergamot dominating the opening remained dominant, and that as no resistance tolerating emperor. Yes, a few rebel alliances there were; but they were all chanceless.
The mandarin in the top note actually tried, and recognizably so; for a minute or two. Suppressed.
Also the cypress tried it allied with the lavender; but to sniff the rebellion of the two already needed closed eyes and some imagination. Rosemary gave itself in my perception not at all to recognize, in my eyes even with closed eyes.
In the drydown, the bergamot in the amber has finally found their Darth Vader and let him obediently carry on...
And in addition, unfortunately, still comes:
1. All this -used as much imagination as possible to create the fragrance yet still some own fantasy realm in my imagination and thus its raison d'être - always, very reliably always, associated with the term "shower bath". And:
2. For a freshman on my skin with decent durability and sillage.

But the simple fact with the catchphrase "body chemistry" has its raison d'être, anyway, because it is virtually a law of nature. And the comments show in the bulk fortunately, the other body chemistry and Acqua di Giò Profondo can smell better than we two us.

The given away chance I give this summer after some time again to the very first Acqua di Giò. -Because he is a reliable summer "always-goer".
Basti87
For me the best of this series
When this 2020 was on the front page of new introductions here I was rather bored with it. I used to be on fire for Flanker, now rather less so. Only on certain series. Since I am well positioned and Flanker is often what for collectors or just usually something that is to cover the current trend and uses the familiar name from the past.
I must honestly say this one I did not even want to test. Coincidentally, a sample was delivered with an order, which I then of course test. And I was pleasantly surprised.

Small preface to the series: Acqua di Gio is of course one of the best-selling men's fragrances. If not THE fragrance. Pretty much everyone knows it. Morillas can do that well: Fresh men's fragrances that simply remain in the memory and convince. Very mainstream and unpopular with many here. Corners and edges are often missing, but for me everyday freshness well implemented.
The original is also standing around with me, which I enjoyed wearing about 10 years ago. The performance was never the best and the current batches seem even weaker to me. The most popular are probably the Acqua di Giò Essenza and the Acqua di Giò Profumo Parfum . The former was unfortunately discontinued, which also had a large fanbase. Objectively speaking, the Profumo is the best. Performance? Bomb! Uniqueness? Pretty good! Always usable. With me, however, the great spark to incense has not jumped over, even if I like to smell this Profumo and can definitely recommend. An elegant fragrance that always goes.

Now to the Profondo, which is relatively new moved in with me. Is quite expensive for an Armani, which one usually after a short time for 10-20% in the price sink with many providers. Here you have to say, however, that it is a high-quality EdP.
The bottle is quite chic and matching the series. Here in matching blue for the aquatic. For me, the most aquatic of the entire series. Roughly described, it is for me a mixture of the original and the Profumo with a nice aquatic tart algae note and slightly salty. The Profondo is a very masculine scent with tart spicy accents on an aquatic base. In addition, a fresh citrusy-tart freshness. Even though there is no incense, it already goes in a similar direction as the Profumo. As a big aquatic fan, I like this direction a bit better. Through the algae notes, it reminds me very slightly of the Aqva pour Homme Eau de Toilette
The base is also quite pleasant and becomes nice and soft and woody comes to it with nice patch. In the overall package through and through a pleasant companion, which comes great in everyday life and goes easily in the direction of understatement. Although one knows roughly already so, but provides for sympathetic masculine freshness.
Performance is just for an EdP in the freshness range. Some hours he holds. Exactly I have not yet tested, but minimum 5-6 hours one perceives him well. Sollage is medium and satisfactory.

On the whole, a feel-good fragrance, which little offends. By algae-salty-tart freshness but no 0815. he knows how to convince. No must-have, but he is versatile.

You will definitely know it’s Acqua Di Gio
It’s a “thicker, fuller” feeling ADG in the opening. A deeper, darker feeling version of the original comes out in the opening. A great sillage as well, in the first few hours.

As it dries down it transforms into what reminds me of Bleu de Chanel EDT. It’s done very nicely, and still hints of the original ADG. But that’s what dominates the mid-tones in my perspective.

I absolutely LOVE the dry down, though. The base notes shine out proudly, and almost feels like its reigniting the sillage.

Throughout the life (an easy 8 hours) this one shines. It’s all about if you like the ADG line. Personally, I prefer this over Profumo, as I don’t really like the incense note.

I’ll say projection is great for the first 2-4 hours reaching out over 3ft in radius, and sillage is there as well, leaving your scent trail wherever you go, but longevity shines on this one. Easily going 8+hours.

Best citrus aquatic frags
The best citrus aquatic frags imo. It's similar to the OG acqua di gio, but has more depth from minerals and make it more deep and solid. It's more like acqua di gio in eau de parfum concentration. It performs pretty well too, 7-9 hrs on my skin, and projects greatly in 1-2 hrs. You can wear it in hot situation, because it performs well with your body heat.
Armani Sauvage
Please do not misunderstand the fragrance smells really good and will please most people. But it is just a flanker to have the "blue fragrances" in your portfolio. H+S are also nothing special, the ADGP is much better. I would rather recommend Sauvage EDT / EDP for this kind of fragrance.

There is therefore rather no recommendation.
What do you want sea
I must say that I am very surprised by the comments and ratings.
On the one hand the fragrance is too "simple" and "interchangeable", on the other hand the Hollister fragrance SoCal ( which is of course also good) is given a better rating, although this also applies to it and does not smell any higher quality than the local fragrance.
Often the very fragrances with a strong character, which some users are probably looking for in every fragrance, are exactly those that hardly meet with enthusiasm on the street...
...and then the sillage and durability is given below 7, although it can easily keep up with a highly rated Versace Eros. I did the test before. Even in strong wind I could smell the Profondo on the inside of the fetlock with a distance, whereas I had to look for the Eros. And this, although Eros is a sweet scent and Profondo is aquatic fresh (nothing against Eros. Also a great scent).

I think some people always want more, want it better and better, are disappointed when it doesn't happen and make the smell worse than it is. It may be that it was not necessary, because the ADG series was really complete, but that is not what is asked for in the evaluation.
I would like to see the test in which Profumo followers are given the Profondo, in the mistaken belief that it is the Profumo. I bet he'd be highly commended. Because: the fragrance lasts (with me )12 hours+, has a mega sillage and smells of sea, ocean and sea with amber and citric component. What more do you want from the fragrance? Even some spice can be recognized (admittedly, a little limp spice). Then it just smells like a mixture of Bulgari aqua and Dylan Blue, they are great scents! In contrast to them, however, it looks more elegant and has a better performance. He also has more depth. This is not taken away by the slightly synthetic one, which I don't find disturbing here either.

The bottom line: a bombastic fragrance and I stand by it with full conviction. Taste is debatable, but it doesn't do justice to the fragrance at all to deny its performance. I expected a high quality (or at least smelling like it) scent at Profondo, which scores with elegance, is adult and masculine. I was not disappointed...and contrary to other opinions, it hasn't forgotten its roots.
5.5
Sound technical knowledge
"Acqua di Gio Profondo" is the first little flop in the series for me. The original is a true classic that doesn't age and all the following, quite fresh offshoots I could win enough in their own way, even if I wouldn't call any of them modern classics yet. Most likely the elegant, watery and dark "Profumo", which I have come to appreciate very much over time. But this new "Profondo", phew, somehow it doesn't fit too well into the sexy-minimalistic Sauber-Italo-series, you have to hope that you confuse it with the popular "Profumo"...

"Profondo" is, so to speak, the piercingly synthetic version of the aquatic-stylish classic for the current ravages of time, for the current generation. But I don't think that this tactic will work in this case, no matter what age group. "Profondo" is not a totally lousy smell, don't get me wrong. It's just that in my opinion it is rather weak in character and meaningless. The sparkling, ozonic top note is a nosecatcher, could convince the one or other buyer. But once it's gone, and that can be done even more quickly, then there's not much left of this grey-brown brew, almost nada. Most likely still a slightly moist, still minimal salty musky-airy kiss, which reminds of men's shower gels - even the cheap ones! For my nose, Morillas here was quite listless and nervous and uninspired, so I would prefer every single one of his brother scents. A dull sea boy, for whom you have to pull every word out of the spray head and whose feet fall asleep even if you keep moving your toes. Pity. Only for the catchy beginning you get points of honour, but strictly speaking this only intensifies the impression of the scurried and botched deceptive package...

Flacon: noble and simply beautiful, stable, elegant
Sillage: there are some deodorants much stronger
Durability: also not too convincing... 3-5 hours

Conclusion: modern, young, arbitrary, interchangeable - one of the weakest aquatic species/offshoots of Armani and Alberto..
MajorTom
Nothing better comes after...
An old German proverb says "Nothing better can ever come of it". In this concern, I was surprised to see in the shelves the actually how many flankers of the original and so successful Acqua di Gio.

Profondo. Profund, meaning thorough, deep and all-embracing. Okay, strong message, let's see. My expectation was reinforced by the well-known, but here nicely dyed blue bottle, a typical Italian blue, which the gentlemen like to wear on their boots as a suit color. Optically, all traffic lights are green, let's go.

The prelude, hmmmm. The similarity to the original Acqua di Gio is clearly visible. What's different? I think this blue flanker smells massively more synthetic than its big brother does. Sure, bergamot here and there, but when two do the same thing, it's nowhere near the same. So let's give the fragrance some time to develop, especially since the tested eau de parfum already presents quite a lot.
What does the world look like after 10 minutes? Honestly, little changed and I mean unfortunately, little intoxicating. I still hear strong bergamot hints, but the synthetic stuff left and right of it can be anything but inspiring. I'm overcome by a washing-up reflex, but I bravely resist it, because how else can you get a halfway decent review after hours of wearing it.
But even after hours, the Profondo is just a tired dish of its so high class original, I can't see a great course over time with the best will in the world. Until the end (and there we are talking about nine hours) light musk and patchouli notes are brought to light like the original. And there's really nothing more to say or to write about.

What does all this add up to in the end from my point of view for a rating?

As explained above: The bottle is simply beautiful, classic in design and colour. Very successful, I think.

Sillage: Initially strong, but then also strongly declining. Already after 2 hours it can hardly be described as such.

Durability: More than just neat. Nine to ten hours are inside, but the woman has to come very close to the man, that is, at least a hand's distance, to sniff something.

Well, and the smell itself: If it didn't exist, I'd say that hardly anyone would cry out for it. Too trivial, not enough independent, not enough incisive, not differentiated enough.

And so the stale feeling remains that the consumer is to be robbed of his money with the umpteenth flanker of a great litter, namely the original. Certainly not mine, for that it needs a little more imagination. Well, others do it similarly, see Baldessarini, also here a hammer first scent was followed by countless partly quite unimaginative by-products, which unfortunately only dilute the original in the end.

As for Profondo, the durability, yes, I certify that it is profound. Otherwise, no test and certainly no purchase recommendation for me. But tastes are different, as we all know
Deucemiky
The increase in liquid...
To come straight to the point: the increase of liquid is superfluous. That's how it went through my head when I sniffed Profondo (at this point I want to thank Scorpio for the bottling).
I have worn Acqua Di Gio pour Homme and säter Essenza for many years. All year round and exclusively. Well, I was young and knew nothing of the parallel universe of perfume enthusiasts here.
Every time a new flanker came on the market, I tested it and hoped to find some of the joy from the past. But it actually became more and more disappointing from flanker to flanker.

Now for the profondo.
A renewed attempt to approach the glorious times of the AdGPH.
The test on the paper strip was already a pleasant experience. At least in the first few seconds. The smell is fresh and almost clean or a little bit soapy. Well, and then I waited for something to develop towards Profumo. Since I thought the two were related to each other. No way.
The cirtual prelude fades and a slightly soapy herbal aroma- light remains on the paper strip.
Full of doubt and amazement I sprayed it on the skin to see what happens there.
Here it is a completely different fragrance experience.
Actually, the circus prelude does not take place on my skin at all. It's only seconds and then it jumps "like a quay out of the box" without a trace directly into a shallow Saubermann chocolate scent. A Profumo light, with a little fantasy, so to speak. This shower gel-like chocolate scent then stays for about 1 hour. Afterwards it darkens a little and loses the Saubermann image, but does not change for the next 3 hours. Until it disappears silently. It only produces a minimal silage in the first half hour. After that you have to press your nose directly on the skin to see him. Little tip: notice the spot, otherwise it will be difficult
All in all a disappointing air act that nothing really does well. It can't be fresh, it can't be aquatic, it can't be aromatic, it has no stamina and for me it is therefore the increase of liquid...
The Profumo's little brother
A visit to the perfume department of the duty free at an airport is now obligatory for me. And so I was actually surprised by the sight of the new Aqua di Gio Profondo on the shelves, which I had not even expected to see on sale. So, of course, straight there, spray first on the test strip, then on the wrist. Anyway, on my skin, scents can differ noticeably and even be a disappointment compared to the test strip on the skin...

Well, the first thought when spraying the Profondo - finally another successful release! I am not a fan of aquatic scents but I had hoped for something from this one and I was quite taken with it. Compared to the Profumo, it appears cooler and fresher at first, but nevertheless the green-spicy Profumo DNA can be perceived through the bench away. What is striking, however, is that in addition to the freshness at the beginning, something slightly sweet also appears. I first had to think about what it is comparable to - definitely Invictus, but for me personally even more so Rasasi Hawas, the latter is in my own Rega! But the Profondo sweetness is not at all obtrusively sweet but always discreetly accompanying. This sweetness lasted about an hour with me, the drydown is then similar to the Profumo for confusion. Hence the younger brother, same base but a bit more playful. Durability and Sillage leave unfortunately to be desired, with me the smell becomes very fast a "Skin-Scent".

I can well imagine that younger customers find it quite good, if the Profumo seems too grown up to them but they don't want a too sweet scent. I would wear the new Profondo more for a casual occasion or leisure time, but the Profumo looks more elegant.

I personally prefer the Profumo but I think Alberto Morillas has created a good release here. So thumbs up for that

RisingChaosRisingChaos 2 months ago
Salty aquatic, bright green opening quickly fades behind a mineralic mid. Picks up a subtle, fresh sweetness as it dries down.
KingPinKingPin 2 months ago
Certainly a whiff of marine notes, but by lord, this is boooooooringgg.
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 4 months ago
I definetly get the mineral notes - dry, metallic and green. I can't really make up my mind whether I like it or not
KuraiKurai 4 months ago
Bleu de Giò
GuapoGuapo 6 months ago
The dry down has some similarities with the Bleu de Chanel EdP.
KimJongKimJong 6 months ago
Profumo = A man with dark eyebrows and an angled chin.

Profondo = The youngest of ADG brothers, wears glasses, and collects Internet memes.
GolcherGolcher 1 year ago
no magnetic cap!? this is b*llsh*t! very nice frag though. It's like halfway between ADG original (or Essenza for that matter) and Absolu
ItchynoseItchynose 1 year ago
A slight improvement over the original but not all that different. Citrus, smooth marine notes and a musky drydown.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 1 year ago
Delicious as night scent for its strong and "blue "character and the dominant Woody-aromatic note.I smelled something spicy too.Intriguing!
ScentDaneScentDane 1 year ago
The Blue Fragrance of the AdG line. If you like the original and bleu de chanel with an aquatic touch you will also like this. Very safe.

by JohnFante
by Golcher
by Felix2
by Felix2

Popular Giorgio Armani

Armani Privé - Sable Or by Giorgio Armani Armani (Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Cuir Majesté by Giorgio Armani Acqua di Giò Profumo (Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Oud Royal by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Rouge Malachite by Giorgio Armani Armani (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Myrrhe Impériale by Giorgio Armani Armani Code (Eau de Parfum) by Giorgio Armani Armani Code Satin by Giorgio Armani Sensi by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Rose d'Arabie by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Ambre Orient by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Cuir Noir by Giorgio Armani Armani Code Cashmere by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Iris Céladon by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - New York by Giorgio Armani Armani Privé - Ambre Eccentrico by Giorgio Armani Emporio Armani - Stronger With You Intensely by Giorgio Armani