Giorgio (1981) Eau de Toilette

Giorgio (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Giorgio (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Giorgio Beverly Hills for women and was released in 1981. The scent is floral-sweet. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Revlon.

Bob Aliano

Top Notes Top NotesApricot, Bergamot, Orange blossom, Peach
Heart Notes Heart NotesGardenia, Jasmine, Orchid, Rose, Tuberose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Chamomile, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Cedarwood

Submitted by Schnuffi, last update on 19.11.2019

6.0 9.0 9.0 8.0/10

Giorgio Beverly Hills
You remind me of my youth ... Giorgio is not quiet or shy, he is like many fragrances of the 80's quite intense. I love its fragrance which, thanks to its outstanding durability and its unmistakable exotic sillage, is a delight for the environment.
7.0 10.0 10.0 9.0/10

Axel Foley determines again
'Beverly Hills' - what a fragrance!

A short sprayer and not only the wearer, the whole room was shrouded by it.

With the first sprayer, peach and apricot were discharged in all their fruity fullness. Bergamot and orange blossom, gave this prelude, still the, somewhat flowery, freshness.

Plenty of time, but this scent didn't take itself, with the foreplay. A whole basket full of flowers and blossoms followed this prelude. A sweet, flowery interlude with a slight wood note.

Well done The fragrance actually gave itself a touch of pause here. Breathed out - more!

Now the fine tuning of this fragrance complex took place. Oak moss combined with the slightly citric note of bergamot. Amber and musk freshened up the, but very strong, flower complex a little. Patchouli and Amber gave him a certain 'grounding'. Camomile, wood notes and vanilla rounded off the nose experience. The cedar made sure that the sweetness was kept a little in check. But if she doesn't quite. ... and ... The green one was there!

After a short time, the fragrance introduced itself in its perfection. Impressive Unruly!

In the 80s and 90s, a fragrance that fitted very well into that time. Long durability and a silage that was already looking for its equal at that time.

When I think back today to the scents of that time, it was a kind of attack and defense. Almost everyone wore one of those strong scents, around with them. Probably with the intention of attracting attention and also to defend oneself against the scent attack of the other person. Everyone got a little stuck in their own scent. When I wore my then favorite Davidoff, hardly anything penetrated through this cloud to me. Only very slight nuances arrived. Although the 'attacker' certainly had similarly strong scent weapons.

A strong disarmament has taken place here in recent years.

If I rate this fragrance from the year 1981, until about the middle of the 90s, I would have to say, in spite of the changed taste of the time, it comes off too badly here
However, the fragrance has changed and probably adapted to the taste of the time. He used to have what I used to call green. Get away! The silage was also corrected downwards. Shelf life?

He also left the perfumeries and found refuge in the drugstores.

Why I come to 'Beverly Hills' today?

This morning in Hamburg, it's harbour birthday. I had something to do in town. Due to the expected traffic, I had left the car and used the public transport.

I had to cross the main station. A scent collection of fried sausage, kebab, bakery products and and & ... blew around my nose. Unenthusiastic, a group of girls carrying a scent of perfumed sunscreen probably crossed 'Sun'.

Then there he was, all of a sudden, a scent - a real scent trail. Beverly Hills' from the time when the fragrance was still allowed to wear that name with Stoz, 'The Green'! Beautiful memories from past times, immediately took over my thoughts.

I followed this trail, because of the concentration of scent in front of my nose, I guessed five to ten seconds ahead, maybe a little more *), because I had a very big question: Was he really?

At the end of the search, I met a woman. About mid-fifties. The age of the wearer fit.

I looked at her and my gaze was reciprocated. Smile, make a friendly impression...
I have a question ... my nose has ... is in the air ...

"Yes," she said, "I discovered it two weeks ago when we moved to Hamburg. I put it on for the first time today. I didn't get the impression that he had tilted, and if you perceive him like that now, then he's probably okay. Twenty-five years I must have had it by now. At that time I had bought three bottles and then from the middle of the 90s it went in the direction of aquatic fragrances. I wore other scents and simply forgot 'Beverly Hills'."

He still exists, the real one!

When we broke up, two events waited to happen.
First of all, I missed my train Second, we had exchanged communication data...

Maybe with three, there's one about...

Now that I had it in my nose again today, my assessment refers to the old 'grayish' scent. With today's scent, I'd make deductions in the D, H, and S grades.

*) For those who don't believe it, this fragrance stays in the air! I heard it again today.
6.0 9.0 9.0 8.5/10

Pretty Woman
The problem with Giorgio is that it suffers from what many older fragrances suffer;over application to excess, in a time when fragrances where not only applied heavily, but were equally potent as well. Everyone’s view varies, but I would have loved to live that era and live the glamorous life of Giorgio Beverly Hills. Fortunately I can live it today with my 1981 bottle of extraordinary spray cologne.

Upon first spritz, what greets me is one of the most beautiful and honeyed orange blossoms I have smelt. It doesn’t smell dated, but incredibly lush and sunny. In a way, feelgood and happy.
The orange blossom stays for the entire duration but the tuberose doesn’t take long to show up and steal the show. Along, you get the juiciness of peach, which in a way reminds me of the peach accord later on used in Tresor, but here it’s more neon and less formal. It all feels yellow like the stripes on the box. It’s a happy bombastic fragrance chock full of white flowers and a sunny disposition for the first couple of hours.
But as the heart notes start to show up, it all gets a bit more serious, the make up packs on, and the tight fitting dress compliments the high hair. Giorgio starts to show a bit of oakmoss and suddenly it feels like a chypre. The ylang makes it smell more carnal and ‘oily’ and there’s a slight bitterness which adds to the chypre feel. A few more hours in and the drydown feels powdery as if there was Iris as well.

And this is the thing that probably made Giorgio so popular. A powerful white floral that becomes more serious and perfume-y as it warms on skin. It’s loud at first, and loud afterwards, and what starts as an overwhelm of the senses develops to a beautiful floral chypre. It smells recognizable; if you smell it once you know it when you smell it, lasts from morning to next morning with incredible sillage for hours on end, but I don’t think it’s cheap. It might be in today’s formula, but the vintage smells expensive and would probably be more liked if it wasn’t used so heavily in the past. But hey, if people abused it’s because they probably loved it like I do. And back in the 80’s, I’d probably be banned from restaurants too.
A nice discovery that I’m happy to have made, and in general a lovely, misunderstood fragrance. Rock it like it deserves; heavy handedly!
10.0 10.0 10.0 5.5/10

Oh Giorgio
Summer 1993
5 weeks on the Croatian Adriatic coast on holiday with my parents and annoying brother, like almost every year, I still smell the sea, the good food and see the great people in front of me, the ornamentation of the crickets can be heard.And so we walked and strolled as I stopped in front of a shop window and discovered this yellow bottle of Giorgio... Even then I had to go in there perfume-mad and was allowed to test it...sprayed it extensively and that was him: MY Smell. The calorie bomb at floral, massive intensity, the strength, the spice...the riot for all time. The silage stunning. This precious elixir wrapped my young skin like a warm sunbeam. Immediately I felt grown up, important and like a lady of the world. That's how ladies smell. I want to be a lady forever. After asking and begging daddy bought him.(He was probably narcotized by the perfume cloud...)..So I carried him from morning to evening, at 30 degrees and more and polluted everyone with it.Sorry to the ice cream vendors, the waiters, the taxi driver, the fish in the water....
But even the most beautiful summer came to an end sometime and also the perfume came to an end, it disappeared because I never bought it again.why I don't remember.2006 then I got it at S.at bargain price,and I thought:Wow,my fragrance,my memories of that time.I must have it again.Freu.
Arrived at home, I ripped open the wrapper and couldn't wait to apply this gorgeous oppulent Lady- Wummser. Said, done, and what am I supposed to say? I was horrified. I turned up my nose. It can't be... I had to sneeze. I got really bad and I couldn't believe that I didn't like it anymore.93 This was my scent in summer.93.I only remember the "great love "I was inconsolable..Also the further testing in the following weeks didn't work.I just don't like it anymore.well,the sense of smell is changing,but one thing hasn't changed:
Even today at 38 I am still no lady ;-)

Ambivalent
I've been buying GBH every now and then for years. Always the smallest unit, I know myself... ) times I like this fragrance totally and then I would like to have it immediately out of the house. Crazy love-hate.

He can get a headache if you overdose him. I spray him once in the air and then run through. That's enough for me. A strong, sometimes even pungent scent that can't be classified anywhere. I can't smell a single nuance. All well intertwined. An old but still young scent which (in my opinion) is not for very young ladies. He seems kind of out of place
For me in the squad with Chanel Nr 5, Jadore (although I feel the even more stabbing) and Climat.

At the moment I like this kind of scents.
Maybe I'll get a bottle again ;)
8.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

80es triumph
Rich, sunny, strong and Yellow: it's an explosive potion where the tuberose and the fruity notes are the main actors.
I remembere that it was banned by the restaurants because it was so powerful to cover the food scent!
I never smelled the vintage version and discovered it recently , but it was immediately love!
Its sillage gives me a sense of happiness and energy and I imagine californian beaches and elegant sunny avenues with ladies in white dresses and big sunglasses. Eighties never die!
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

273 Rodeo Drive
Giorgio Beverly Hills, another one of my favs back in the day and today. Like all 80's perfumes, it's BIG. Giorgio is the original Flower Bomb and earned that right lol. From the very first spray (one or two sprays on the back of neck), the gold juice warms your skin with the most amazing ray of California white florals and sun-kissed syrupy fruits. The aroma is beautiful! It's fresh and as modern today as it was back in the day. It's a masterpiece and a must try for any perfume enthusiast. I will never be without a bottle in my collection. How fantastic is it to see all these personal stories shared about your Giorgio Beverly Hills. After all the scandalous fun this sassy broad has rewarded women of all ages since she made her 90210 debut, gosh knows with a career like hers, she deserves all the praise ;D

BIG
I don't quite understand the big perfumes of the 1980s. At heart, they carried a mixed message. They are unavoidable: large, loud, instantly recognizable, distressingly unmistakable.  They are written in bold print and are meant to stand out.  The problem is that they were also used as identifiers to signal inclusion in a group, or rather, to announce the wearer’s identification as a type. They are tribal.  So while their use of olfactory dynamics makes them all about standing out, the intention of their use is all about signaling affiliation, not distinction.

As with Dior Poison (1985) and YSL Opium (1977), even 30 years after the fact, we refer not so much to the perfume Giorgio (1981) as to the type of woman who wore it.  The perfume was part of the package: big hair, shoulder pads, geometric make up. Aspiration. Grandiosity. Remember this was the era of a television show called Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

The Perfume itself is remarkable for its superlative qualities: volume, radioactive sillage, endurance, unwarranted certitude. It could more aptly have been called No Exit.  It captured the quality of bigger-is-better that defined the 1980s.  It is legendary: it was the first scent-strip ever used in a magazine. It is mythical: Giorgio was banned from restaurants.  It surpassed even its high wattage rivals. Where Cacharel Loulou (1987) was boisterous, YSL Opium was smothering, and Dior Poison was simply too loud, Giorgio was crass.

Vintage bottles are easy to find. It was mass-produced for decades and made from aromachemicals with industrial half-lives. It is the plastic of perfumery. It can't be recycled, and it will never degrade.

Absolutely worth sniffing, even if just for the history lesson.

froms scenthurdle.com
5.0 10.0 10.0 5.0/10

Tainted By Memories
You know, this perfume, while far from my favourite, isn't as bad as its reputation, but I had two teachers who basically bathed in the stuff, and that turned me against it for years. It didn't help that they both wore loads of hairspray that didn't mingle well with Giorgio. I've tested it several times since, and as Sorceress says, it's nice in small doses. That said, there's a note in there that smells quite chemical, and it niggles me. It's good to revisit classics, even if we don't care for them because sometimes they grow on you.

Omni
A Woman Who doesn't give a R...A....
So where were you when Princess Diana, Michael Jackson, or JFK died? And where were you the first time you met the gold striped devil? My Mother in law bought me a bottle back from the States as the Gold fever struck. Yes, I did only use one spray and even though I was abducted by aliens I never divulged my secret weapon. They let me go, beamed me back, just couldn't stand the stuff. Personally I believe that if Giorgio had had the opportunity to relaunch the result would have been Boucheron, you know, Giorgio with elan. As it was it suffered from being the master of its own misfortunes. Oh you fallen angel, grim reaper of the perfuminista, I love you, more than a little, I will never forget.
5.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Vivacity And Life
Many of us have our '80's stories of Giorgio Beverly Hills. When this was first introduced, I was working a fragrance counter, pushing Opium, Ralph Lauren, White Shoulders and Shalimar and other more staid perfumes. Whenever a woman wearing Giorgio would walk by, her perfume would preface her and she'd leave a trail behind her. Those of us working cosmetics would never wear the stuff on the floor, because of its enormous sillage and we'd quietly snicker about the customers that did. It was just that loud and it seemed no one explained to these ladies that "less is more". Unfortunately, the bad rap of Giorgio began.
This should never have been a spray-on perfume. Why they manufacture it this way is beyond me. This is a walk into the mist fragrance. Or dab a cotton ball that you've sprayed. It's overwhelming otherwise in its beauty. And it is truly beautiful, if you allow yourself to appreciate its fumes.
There are many conflicting strong notes here-florals, fruits, woods, musks and more. They all envelop you in a glorious perfume that's bright, cheerful and powerful. As far as the haters? I don't think they truly understand this concoction. If you close your eyes, breathe delicately, you can discern the sandalwood, the vanilla, the musk, the tuberose, the gardenia, the orchid, the jasmine, the rose, the ylang-ylang, the chamomile, the oakmoss and cedar in the drydown. Yes, there is a lot going on here. And when it's all done? Vanilla and light musk. Who would have figured? And what a delight to be able to appreciate it all!
Now as far as who can wear this with chutzpah? The woman who doesn't give a rat's ass. The woman who wears black to a wedding. The woman who comes home at 6 a.m. to change for work. The woman that wears pearls with her jeans just to wear them. The woman that truly adores perfumes in all their variety. The woman with a mature sense of life.
After so many years, I'm delighted to wear this perfume. It's bursting with vivacity and happiness. I've forgotten my old perceptions and given Giorgio a new lease on life. I'm so glad I did. I'm enjoying every minute I wear it!
7.5 7.5 5.0/10

The Banned One
How did we reach the point in perfume history where fragrance is being banned in the workplace? In an attempt to answer that question, I decided to revisit some of the "monster" perfumes of the 80s for some possible insight into the current backlash against power perfume. For the most part, I've been enjoying some terrific work in the likes of Poison, Loulou and Coco, all of which must have been pretty spectacular prior to reformulation. If the current austerity movement in fragrance was in part a reaction to these perfumes, I can only imagine that they must have been commonly and egregiously overapplied, because the fragrances themselves are lovely. Giorgio is a different story in my view.

Giorgio's top notes of peach, apricot, orange blossom and bergamot are instantly familiar to me, probably because they were recycled by Elizabeth Arden with little variation in Sunflowers, which was extremely popular when I was young. The orange blossom in particular is a bit synthetic and overbearing, but nothing I can't handle. It is Giorgio's brash floral heart that I find off-putting. As a tuberose fan, I expected to be able to deal with whatever Giorgio threw at me, but the tuberose used here is the bubble gum variety, and it is not improved by a faux gardenia note that is reminiscent of a fabric softener sheet. I detect the ylang (a favorite note), but it is not sufficient to redeem this cacophony of strident floral notes.

On the other hand, the drydown of Giorgio is rather inspired. It contains chamomile, one of those quirky but wonderful notes that is seldom used in mainstream perfumery these days because it doesn't smell "pretty." Back in the day, when Giorgio still contained real oakmoss and sandalwood (both now conspicuously absent), this perfume must have faded down to a bewitching warmth. Even now it still has a certain distinction.

On the whole, I can certainly understand why this singular, voluminous perfume was banned in some restaurants during its heyday. It still has big sillage and good longevity, though no longer mammoth. If you have a nasty streak, Giorgio would be the perfect choice to wear to a wedding, along with a white dress, in order to upstage the bride. Otherwise, wear with caution as you would any statement perfume.
5.0 10.0 10.0 9.0/10

80s Glory
::Review is for the EdT (Is there a EdP? I don't know! But trust me, there is no need for a EdP this baby is enough!)::

Besides the 80s persona of this scent and the fact that it's a 'power-house' of a fragrance and -mostly?- forgotten. I must say I have a soft spot for this Lady with lots of 'tute' that won't be ignored! It's very well made and still smells the same as the original formulation! (as far as my nose can tell.)

On my skin I smell from the first (careful!!) spray, (too much and you could get a headache, less is more with Giorgio - you DO get value for your money!) an immediate whiff (well, gust ;) of gardenia, jasmine and a wonderful sandalwood. Ylang-Ylang, tuberose and cedar carry this perfume to the drydown in the most remarkable way. It's like Cabaret the way it should have been. A center-stage scent with smoky, woodsy florals that exude attitude that wants a spotlight to perform her solo-act. Ideal for a late night out in a club. Or just because you like wearing something unusual.

Now, I know and understand it's not for everyone and every occasion, but neither are Cabochard, Magie Noire, Shalimar et cetera. They too need to be liked by the right people and 'handled with care' (spray lightly or get overpowered!)

As for me? I ADORE sandalwood, white flowers and fragrances that exude a dark erotic feel. So, I still use and like this scent. And the best part? It's inexpensive, still available and very much alive. Not bad for a lady that smokes, drinks and is loud! ; )

Silage is: "Dare and ignore me!" - Longevity is: "I am staying over till, tomorrow". You gotta love it....
8.0/10

California dreamin' ...
Awesome ... think big hair, shoulder pads and blue eyeliner sporting a wrap dress in a loud floral :o). Actually, this fragrance is quite relevant today also ... the dreaded EA touch can be felt, but has possibly made it a little more wearable?? Not AS loud as it used to be ... definitely tamer but still breathtakingly beautiful if you like Tuberose and white waxy flowers. The drydown is JUST GORGEOUS with the musk playing (thankfully) a non speaking cameo. Pull the fruit, add a "modern" note like "ozone" or some such, rebottle, rename, remarket and it'll be a hit all over again! OH!! Hang on ... Frederic Malle did :o). Go on ... give it a bash ... you know you want to :o) ...
5.0 10.0 10.0 5.0/10

A User's Advisory Warning
Judging by all of the splendid reviews which GIORGIO has inspired--whether positive or negative--it must be a great perfume! I finally tried it this afternoon for the very first time. I acquired a coffret on sale at CVS a while back out of curiosity and I had a bath on the horizon, so I figured, why not?

My first reaction was: not bad at all! A nice fluffy yellowish quasi-mimosa-dusted tuberose. How could this be the source of so much contention and strife? I wondered. The detailed anecdotes in the many reviews at another fragrance community website beckoned me, so I began to read them, and by the time I got about half way through, it hit me like a ton of bricks: "It" being the dreaded EA vat-juice headache. The perfume kept expanding and expanding until suddenly I realized that my bath could not wait any longer.

I'll try GIORGIO again--at a yet to be scheduled date in the future (definitely a full bath day...)--using half the amount I sprayed on this afternoon, and see whether it goes any better that way...
7.0/10

Awesomeness
Try a contemporary ... then find the original
OMG, I can not believe I am about to say this. Giorgio is wonderful & so much better than I remember her. She's pretty heavy on the white florals, but she's not girlie-girlie. She's a spry, yet refined, California woman with a backbone.

I already own Giorgio Red and Giorgio Blue, both of which I wear frequently. I'm not sure why it took me so long to test the original again. OK, maybe not-so-original, but the not-so-new formulation by P&G Prestige Beaute. (Now the GBH brand is owned by Elizabeth Arden.) However, I do remember the intensity & sillage of the original, & the P&G version is a WHIMPER in comparison.

Thank you SoniaMcalear for the sample so I could try Giorgio again.
10.0 7.5 6.0/10

The most recognisable scent on strangers
I have spent almost two years trying to figure out what this perfume was called.

Giorgio goes all the way back to my childhood. I vividly remember my neighbour coming over for coffee doused in this fragrance. Strangely enough, no matter how much she over-applied, I loved this fragrance.

This is your typical, loud 80's fragrance. A little bit peachy, flowery, vanillary and incensey.

I must add that Giorgio goes extremely well with cigarette smoke, the two work hand in hand. The woman that wears Giorgio, in my mind, is usually a heavy smoker, with red cheeks, purple painted nails and high heels. In other words, a sophisticated woman with attitude.

Giorgio may be cheap, but the fragrance itself lasts for such a long time. The sillage, you can be certain of, will leave a memorable trail. Rather classic in a sense.

For most people, Giorgio will be far too heavy, sweet and flowery, however in my humble opinion, it is more than tolerable, it's a memory and a classic olfactory experience.

LavenderSky8 22 months ago
"The essence of Beverly Hills in a bottle."+1
Alex1984 23 months ago
Unjustifiably maligned. From what I smell (vintage) this is peach and orange blossom heavy, and elegant. Poor girl, misanderstood. Joyous!+3
6.0