Giorgio for Men 1984Eau de Toilette

Giorgio for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Beverly Hills
Giorgio for Men (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Giorgio Beverly Hills for men and was released in 1984. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Fruity notes, Orange, Pimento
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Orris root, Patchouli, Rose, Sandalwood, Cedar, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Benzoin, Oakmoss, Honey, Musk, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by Lissy, last update on 26.10.2020.

Like a Sexy Dirty Talk Phrase
I am used to making naturally favoured mono-thematic honey by adding cardamom pods, rosemary needles, juniper berries, cinnamon barks, ginger slices, lemon peels, vanilla pods, anise stars, and so on, and then letting the honey and the flavors infuse for a while. That’s my breakfast rotation ... Unfortunately I’ve never made patchouli flavoured honey and Giorgio for Men is the perfect substitute for it, even if I can’t eat it for breakfast! If you’ve never smelled it, this amazing EDT has the same vibes as Arrogance, Kouros, Rive Gauche, Yatagan, Givenchy Gentleman and the newer TL pour Lui, just to name a few. Giorgio for Men belongs to that small circle of old school perfumes, from barbershop, rich in opulent, enigmatic, deep accords, built around dirty notes of carnation, patchouli, and oak moss, blended with some floral, spicy, and woody accords to create an oriental family, fougère, and chypre. I was only in my early teens when this was launched, but I remember everyone wearing this stuff. Eventually I bought myself a bottle, and I fell in love, too. I never ever was expecting that this fragrance can be so wonderful, mysterious and complicated. This sat right next to my bottles of Grey Flannel and YSL Pour Homme. So, what does Giorgio for Men smell like? Read on if you want to find out. But first I want to say two things about packaging. The box reminds me of the men’s costumes in vogue in the past centuries, with yellow and white stripes. Instead, the bottle is something exceptional, with its flask shape, the creative stripe pattern glass like the precious crystal shabby chic bottles used for bourbon, on par with Renè Lalique 1960s Nina Ricci Signoricci men's cologne bottles in clear glass, metal screw caps.

Returning to the perfume, I am wearing it, and it feels darker than the blackest, stronger than most intense versions of any cologne for men that I can think of. Giorgio for Men is a woody, balsamic, earthy, and powdery cologne that reveals itself with a penetrating burst of sour aldehyde at the beginning, ain’t like the feminine pair with hairspray vibe from aldehyde and tuberose blend, yet it practically hides a bitter force of patchouli. It is very sparkling, dark, and slightly dusty, but mostly bitter and dry with patchouli and musk. The presence of patchouli is evident and makes this fragrance a bit like Gentleman by Givenchy, although patchouli is more subdued in Giorgio, revealing a sweetness that Gentleman does not have. I get little sweetness out of it. And, really, that’s it for me. It smells very butch and earthy, and I loved it. The opening is shocking and overwhelming, even in its current subdued formula. Once the aldehydes tone down, a sour orange appears. Let me say that Giorgio can be very deceiving when you first spray it on.

After its raucous green opening comes the deep, powerful, rich heart that beats loud and hard for hours. It borders the exotic with woody sandalwood and cedar combining with spiced cinnamon and dirty patchouli to host a beautiful floral dance of warm carnation, iris root and rose dew. Carnation, sandalwood, honey, iris and rose are taboo in today’s men’s market, but here they triumph as if there were no tomorrow. I get the dustiness from the violet leaves, and the sweet spiciness from the cinnamon bark. The more it approaches the dry down, the more the rose shines.

The base is pure magnetic attraction as the goodness of balmy benzoin, amber, and oak moss layers in irresistible honey and vanilla, topped with tonka bean and tied with musk. A rich, filler silage fires the imagination as it lingers and intertwines. The oak moss is still very pronounced, giving a traditional fougère that cannot be forgotten. I can smell more shades in it, especially softness of honey, sandalwood and vanilla. The sweetness is prominent but not created by vanilla sugar; it is very natural and probably given by ambergris. I never, ever expected that this fragrance could be so wonderful, mysterious and complicated. I like it from start to finish. Warm woods mixed with sweet spices. It’s also a bit animalic and anyway civet isn’t listed as an ingredient, it’s definitely there. Giorgio is not hard or pushy, he is welcoming and deeply warm.

I have a beard, a moustache, and an uppercut hairstyle. I don’t talk too much between people. I am a man who raises his head with silent self-confidence and this perfume fits my style perfectly, giving an interesting contrast to my nature. In a nutshell, it has a very green, mossy feel to it, with some nice citrus top notes and a very prominent vanilla and musk base. This truly is a fragrance that you need to be patient with, because it really evolves, starting off with a very strong citrus, carnation and vanilla. Interestingly, the vanilla seems to fade rather quickly, giving way to a slightly dirty oakmoss note, which lasts for several hours. The vanilla seems to return during the dry down, which is subtly sweet. Giorgio is friendly and adorable, from its first glimmer until the last sigh, but you need to know him well. It may take some time. This fragrance is not for mice. It’s for a self-confident old school gentleman with a big heart. In my opinion, Giorgio is better suited for low temperatures. But that is very subjective. I would wear Giorgio during the humid days of the Fall and early Spring seasons.

Tjis review bases upon a 120ml (4 fl. oz) bottle I own since August 2018.

-Elysium
DieOrange78
Patchouli in the 80's robe - was there a scurrying shadow just now?
There was a time.....

i hated the patchouli smell. Not the typical hatred a person feels when something just doesn't sit right with them. I hated it. I remember that. Patchouli tea tree oil. Gross stuff for my nose I knew that Giorgio For Men contains patchouli, but I was careless in hitting the small price Patchouli. I remembered again. At the same time I remembered that this was not the small, musty muff-filled mini-bottle that I had learned to hate. Musty Muff. I wonder if there could be an improvement on that.
I'm having second thoughts about my choice. Order online. Should I...... Hm..... Nope. Wasn't expensive.

Then finally came the perfume. Pulled directly from the transport cartouche. Plastic wrap gone. Wrapping white to please. Yellow-white Mariesenstreifen design. Classic and yet somehow not unfashionable. Then the bottle. Then the flacon. It looks a bit quirky. Should I drink it? That's a strange thought. The juice is glowing bright green at me. I take my cap off. Now what does this remind me of? Yes. Back then. The movies. I smelled something like that. If not exactly that smell. Let's put on a good show. I'm watching the movie
Batman. Starring Michael Keaton and Jack Nickolson as the Joker. Kim Basinger in the role of the slightly annoying, yet likeable reporter. Popcorn cinema. I feel like watching that movie. Right away. This is how it happens. The perfume mists my olfactory senses, while the film mentally drags me away. Glowing green perfume. Axis Chemicals. In the middle of it instead of just watching it live. At some point, the scene at the museum. The Joker and his gang have this dance performance. Small artistic interpretations included. Wait a minute. Images of Prince come to my mind. Yeah, that's right. He was the guy who produced the soundtrack to the movie. Not the score. That was a different one Meanwhile, my nose has been taking a kind of citrus cream for a while. Citrus cream on patchouli. Or vice versa? With a touch of honey. Removed slightly mossy chords dance to the beat of the film music.
Popcorn's empty. I'm too lazy to get any more. This movie is so great too. So is the perfume, by the way The film moves into the last big scene. How the scent just fits. High up in the cathedral. Looking down from a dizzying height, at this comic-like city. Gotham, I can smell you. Noble and somber at the same time The movie's over.
If Giorgio would stop ensnaring my senses, then I could remember where I parked the car. No, not the car. The OTHER car
Never mind. It's a nice, slightly chilly night. Why not go for a walk? See what's creeping around in the shadows of the city lights.

MfG
TheOrange78
Giorgio for Men - anything but mainstream
I've been testing Giorgio for Men for hours tonight. This is a blast! I seldom have fantasies about a fragrance, but here I very soon remembered how beautiful I would feel if a man greeted me with a kiss on the cheek and perfumed with Giorgio. I would enjoy it and I would certainly spontaneously compliment him on his great perfume.

How should I describe him? In the beginning extremely strong charisma. Very masculine, confident, cultivated soapy and dusty powdery. The base, only many many hours later, cautiously sweet. At the end I perceive a pleasant composition of musk, vanilla and tonka bean, which is still clearly fragrant. A very complex creation, whose many beautiful ingredients can be read in the pyramid. A tremendously strong eau de toilette.

You should definitely give it some time before going out, otherwise it is too crass. And you should definitely dose discreetly, otherwise it will be too violent.

I think 'Giorgio for Men' is very suitable for parties and special events. You will certainly attract attention with this scent and should therefore be able to cope with it. Freshly applied for cuddling it would be much too strong and obtrusive for me; also the top and heart note would be too linear. I like the drydown to be quieter and more intimate. Then Giorgio for Men smells seductively powdery and finishes with a fine hint of subtle sweetness. However, still well perceptible. It is possible that he unfolds his true beauty in a man only the next morning, when he has become one with his wearer.

Although as a woman I occasionally love to wear men's fragrances, I don't know yet whether Giorgio for Men is also suitable as a women's fragrance. It takes courage to carry him. Not only for women
It's already a fragrance for men - not for boys.

I would like to thank treasure hunters sincerely for sampling this extraordinary fragrance, which has been unjustly forgotten because its weddings are over. Then as now 'Giorgio for Men' smells anything but mainstream.

KimJong
Giorgio Beverly Hills Review (2018 batch)
GBHH has a nuance similar to Givenchy Gentleman in the opening. Honestly outdated but really manly. I got many good responses when I went to a heavy metal geek with it and a black leather jacket. On my nose GBHH is an intense patchouli scent with a 'grandfather' carnation. The messy smell that comes out after drying is, probably a green synthetic that replaces oakmoss, coming up bit like a cannabis scent. Since no one wears GBHH these days, it makes you stand out. Very aggressive and long lasting.
a very difficult case,
more and better Patchouli is hardly possible, but this scent needed a time machine that goes very (+ 4h) forward. Before these 4 h: mashed potatoes, hairspray, Sir Irish Moos alá americano .. bigger, better, rougher, tougher.
But after 4 hours on the skin nobly candied fruit splinters sparkle like diamonds through the hippiesque, robust earthy patchouli wall and everything is still as full at the start as at the beginning, but now ripened to a perfect melange: Green freshness, dirty vanilla/cinnamon (but natural and unstrained), earthy male patchouli, candied fruit sparkled by aldehydes - after 12 hours the still does not go to the knees. I don't know, I don't know... what am I supposed to think? Pro: Nobody ever gave me more positive (alá wow) comments ...

Powerhouse
Being a child of the 80's, this brings back good memories. An unapologetic lightly sweetened non-hippy patchouli powerhouse of a fragrance that will not only beat you over the head, but will kick you for good measure as you're laying on the ground.

Two sprays are enough, as 3+ will fumigate the room. This is the perfect fragrance to wear heavily if you want people or any other creatures that breathe to avoid you. Don't get me wrong, this is a wonderful spicy woody fragrance and smells great but most people today are just not used to having their sinuses assaulted by the powerhouses of yester-year.

Pros:
4 oz can be purchased for under $20 USD.
Great bang for your buck.
Nuclear projection.
You will be avoided by most sentient lifeforms (Perfect for introverts).

Cons:
You will be avoided by most sentient lifeforms (Bad for extroverts).

A must-have for any collection.

8/10

Drseid
The One I have Reached Most For The Last Quarter Century And Still Going Strong...
Excellent throwback scent to when I was younger, growing up in the eighties. This, and the original Polo were my staples back then and they both still smell great and hold up today. Giorgio is a great combo of patchouli, other aromatics and oakmoss. A very masculine scent with tremendous staying power, sillage and projection – I dare you to use more than one spray! Almost as good as the scent itself is the under $25 price a 118ml bottle can easily be acquired for nowadays. Bottom line is Giorgio for Men in its vintage form should be in every man's fragrance wardrobe, is a classic powerhouse, and is an absolute 5 star masterpiece!

Note on the re-release version... Some of the EA re-release bottles (with the dark mossy colored juice) smell just as good and last just as long as the vintage stuff I have been wearing for years. Unfortunately EA has spotty quality control (or multiple manufacturers) and many of the later re-release bottles with noticeably lighter color translucent green juice are significantly inferior and should be avoided if you can. These do still smell good and are plenty strong, but why settle for an inferior smelling scent when the "good stuff" can still be acquired relatively easily?

Edit (6/6/13): It looks like this has indeed been reformulated. The reformulated re-release bottles have light green translucent juice and on the ingredients list on the yellow retail box it lists both oak moss and tree moss as ingredients. The original formula (which applies to both the vintage bottles and the original re-release) only lists oak moss and is a darker, almost mossy green color juice.

Definitely stick to either the vintage juice, or the original re-release bottles, as the newer tree moss laden re-release is inferior on the dry-down.

Blast from the past!!!
My large vintage 4oz bottle arrived last fall. I paid under $20 USDs! This is amazing in every way. It is really a different fragrance from the current EA version, which is a pale echo of the original. To reproduce its original formula would be astronomically expensive. This is high end niche quality!!!

To begin, the juice is darker. It offers a twist off cap for the spray or splash option. That leaves you two different openings-spraying releases aldehydes and oakmoss, giving it a projection like no other. It doesnt just fill a room, yet my entire house is more like it. In todays world, a tiny dab from the bottle is all you need. The fruity notes are peachy dried apricots. Most men today may find it feminine(Aromatic Elixer), not in a unisex way. Its not, really. Its just from another time.

Then comes the heart that is priceless-very green PATCHOLI(you must enjoy this note or else) that shares the stage with a lot of oakmoss(my favorite note of all!), honeyed rose(tiny white ones that just break your heart), cinnamon and real sandalwood. The duration is 24 hours or more. Yes, there is some vetiver in here. The iris gives it some powder. The cedar amber notes are very sturdy. The vanilla is dark, like a Guerlain vanilla. This is my pick for Mitsouko for men.

Its an elegant chypre more than anything, as it takes its time to unfold all of those rich dry notes. Strangely, its not sexy(no civet or skanky musk), just an openly flirty attention grabber. Just give it lots of space/time to roam. Fragrance in the modern age doesnt have the time for a chypre. Indeed, it is a class that has left the market, perhaps forever. I have been writing this review for several hours, savoring every nuance.

Its a clean green Rodeo Drive Rolls Royce. Fendi Uomo later added black leather and more darkeness, a black Farrari racing around the Amalfi coast. Thats the closest thing I can compare it to. Both are superb.

For those of us who experienced it then, it is quite dated-wine coolers, moussed hair, Miami Vice, sunglasses at night, 80 tuxedos with real diamond cuff links. 24 years later, I find it everything I STILL love. Nothing can ever really compare to Giorgio for men. American culture had reached its peak as far as fragrance was concerned. OOP, its now just a fading memory for most...

Oh, sorry, I had to toss out my EA Fragrance bottle. Its worthless compared to this magnificent original.

StolzmanStolzman 14 days ago
3.5
It smells like an oldschool aldehydic women's perfume.It smells like a funeral home.It's not a classic masculine powerhouse fragrance.Strong
TsoTso 44 days ago
A classic, even 'outdated' scent. This one is my definition for barbershop -style fragrance. I like it, but hardly find occasions to wear it
TorkeTorke 52 days ago
Heavy classic Patchouli and Aldehyde fragrance.
Not for anyone, specially for the young croud.
For the money, it is very well made.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 11 months ago
Patchouli and Honey in a very manly perfume. A bit similar to Givenchy Gentleman and Boss Number One. It's kind of outdated but I like it!
ItchynoseItchynose 17 months ago
Honey, patchouli and rose. A classy, formal masculine scent but a bit dated and stuffy.
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
So dirty, you lose yourself in the heat of passion and turns you on in the most naughty, unconventional ways. For smutty earthy lovers only!
GuapoGuapo 4 years ago
Bold. Truly honey-patchouli bomb.
Still in production.

by Pistazieneis
by Pistazieneis
by Undsoweiter
by Undsoweiter
by Rasierwasser
by Rasierwasser
leider erst vor kurzem kennengelernt, aber besser spät als gar nicht. super zeugs!
by Couchlock
by Mortokai
by Pharaoh
by Pharaoh

Popular Giorgio Beverly Hills

Giorgio for Men V.I.P. Special Reserve (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Beverly Hills Red (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Beverly Hills Red for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio Blue by Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio Gold by Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio for Men V.I.P. Special Reserve (After Shave Lotion) by Giorgio Beverly Hills Wings (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Beverly Hills G by Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio Beverly Hills / So You by Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio Sunshine by Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio (Perfume) by Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio Glam by Giorgio Beverly Hills Red 2 (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Beverly Hills Eau de Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills Wings for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio Holiday by Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio  Aire by Giorgio Beverly Hills