Giorgio for Men V.I.P. Special Reserve 1987 Eau de Toilette

Giorgio for Men V.I.P. Special Reserve (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Beverly Hills
Top 30 in Men's Perfume
Giorgio for Men V.I.P. Special Reserve (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Giorgio Beverly Hills for men and was released in 1987. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydesAldehydes
MossMoss
MuskMusk
Tonka beanTonka bean
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by Jacaranda, last update on 13.10.2021.

Timeless
[short review]

This Beverley Hills Special Reserve is nowhere to be found. The last time I sniff it, happened a couple of years ago. It was a decant a friend offered me and I treasured it a lot. Writing now just using my memories, I can say I find it similar to the "normal" Giorgio For Men. Though, it is less fresh in the opening, less sweet (both of them are not really sweet), with an intenser body and base, and above all, more creamy and smoother as a whole. "For Men" is like good olive oil and "Special Reserve" is like a good special reserve extra virgin premium olive oil.
In my opinion, the scent secret lies in the strong and natural patchouli, mixed with iris/lily root (For Men has only patchouli). The oakmoss note, which is outstanding, also makes a big difference compared to what you may find in contemporary perfumery. I also think that it may not have a modern leather note in it. Probably It may have birch tar to mimic it instead. However, my best guess is that leather is emulated by some very good natural musk, the kind of musk that came from the back of a deer.
The use of pre-IFRA oakmoss and (perhaps) real musk may have been the cause of not having redesigns and new editions of this fantastic Special Reserve.

This perfume deserves cheers with another Special Reserve. I propose a Blended Malt Suntory.

Music: Ray Charles - "Georgia on My Mind"
Great performer
I was very lucky to get another bottle of this adjusted fragrance. Rarely am I so grateful for the purchase of a vintage bottle.

V.I.P. is rightly one of the highest rated men's fragrances here in the forum. This fragrance delivers so much performance, enduring and simultaneously changing, a scent game over 8-10 hours, and that at an EdT!
It starts fresh on my skin, but spicy at the same time. It will be cardamom, which paves the way for a gradually spicier course. Carnation and rose enter into a finely tuned game with wood notes. In this phase it reminds me of Nabucco Parfum Fin, but there it is fir, which contributes coniferous wood aromas.

After about 4 hours the fragrance becomes finer, more pleasant, almost warming.
Nothing comes out loud in this masterpiece. There are no corners and edges (which, according to some comments, the predecessor probably had). Animal I don't smell out.
This fragrance delivers everything that inspires me, in the finest coordination. Why this work was taken off the market cannot be explained rationally.

As a wearer of this fragrance I see a middle-aged gentleman who has achieved some things in life, knows how to enjoy the same but also. V.I.P. may not be the right name. Because the wearer of this fragrance does not insist on status. He fills it out, with a confident smile.

The bottle is noble, pleasant handling, although thick glass, the cap reminds of a gear knob.

Drseid
Giorgio for Men's Amazing Leather-laced Sibling...
Very similar to the original Giorgio for Men, but more refined. I just got a sample and immediately fell in love with the top notes. They are just like regular GfM, but less "in your face" and smooth. Then the scent morphed briefly into a mini-mess that had me worried it would go south quickly... That fear was unjust, as the scent quickly recovered into the GfM heart and then dry-down I have come to love, only again more subtle and refined but still with plenty of strength, longevity and projection.

Overall I honestly can't say which version I prefer as they are both classics and top masculine choices in my book. That said, as the original has been re-released and can be had in all its former glory for $20 or less for a 118ml bottle (update: Giorgio for Men now has been reformulated around late 2011/early 2012, so look for the earlier re-release bottles that have a mossy green color to the juice still sold for the same low price on eBay), while VIP has to be acquired for mega bucks to get the discontinued original bottles I guess I would stick to the original at its "steal" price. VIP is great stuff if you can get a bottle at a sane price though. A 5 stars out of 5 powerhouse masterpiece for sure.

Redfish365Redfish365 23 days ago
Giorgio for Men was good but the VIP Special Reserve was absolutely great! It's been 30 years now and I miss it terribly! Magical liquid!

by Taurus1967
by Mdclx
by Couchlock
by Couchlock

Popular Giorgio Beverly Hills

Giorgio for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Beverly Hills Red (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Beverly Hills Red for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio Gold by Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio Blue by Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio for Men V.I.P. Special Reserve (After Shave Lotion) by Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Beverly Hills Wings (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Beverly Hills G by Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio Beverly Hills / So You by Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio Glam by Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio Sunshine by Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio (Perfume) by Giorgio Beverly Hills Red 2 (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Beverly Hills Wings for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Giorgio Beverly Hills Eau de Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio Holiday by Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio Aire by Giorgio Beverly Hills Red (Perfume) by Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio Edition Collector by Giorgio Beverly Hills