Dahlia Noir (2011) Eau de Parfum

Dahlia Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy
Bottle Design: Fabien Baron

Dahlia Noir (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Givenchy for women and was released in 2011. The scent is floral-powdery. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesMandarin, Mimosa, Pink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Patchouli, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 22.07.2019

ChimidoroChimidoro 4 years ago

„Perfect on a warm, rainy afternoon.”

DarkMatterDarkMatter 5 years ago

„Not so Noir”

6.0 6.0 7.0 7.5/10

DonJuanDeCat
Flowery, sweet, feminine and above all: better than expected!
Hey hey guys, how are you doing? I hope so, don't I? The weather is getting nicer again and the people (especially the females) are becoming more revealing and... argh... okay okay, I swear it high and holy: Even if I am forgiven once, I will write less such things... I suppose at least once, but I can promise NOTHING,... yesahaaa, I'm bad man... *sigh* :DD
But hey, as long as you smile! Or are you even twisting your eyes? Again? Nooo...!!

Anyway, I'll think about what dahlias are for a while. Because today I test Dahlia Noir (EDP) from Givenchy. I know it's a simple mainstream scent that hasn't even been rated very well here, but I do smell myself to judge whether you're all right or just "sniffed wrong" :D

And as I said... dahlias... I can't remember for the life of me writing a comment here and mentioning dahlias in it. So I have to ask Google again what dahlias are, and look, there are colorful flowers that I seem to know "from somewhere". Ah yes... seen a thousand times, but never knew what they really were called. I always thought (NOW DO NOT LAUGH!!) that they were just... cut flowers... called mu ha ha ha, full of crap! And before you say anything, yes I now know what cut flowers are, but somehow I always saw such plants as dahlias under cut flowers and therefore thought that the term "cut flower" was the name of a flower species!!! :DD

Well, but well, one day one is smarter and hopes to be able to remember all this too, only forgets everything quickly again and is in the matter of plants once again totally stupid... :D
But now for the scent!

The fragrance:
The fragrance begins gently powdery with the iris and other beautiful, sweetish-floral fragrances. These do not smell at first immediately determinable, then however the roses crystallize particularly well out. It is accompanied by spicy-fruity pink pepper, which gives a light, spicy touch, as well as a nice sweetness radiates. The mandarin is also perceived afterwards, and it smells of the delicious, sweet fruit flesh of the fruit, but unfortunately fades much too quickly again.
The other flower note next to the rose should be either the mimosa or the dahlia, I have no idea and hope that I am right with one of these flowers... :D
This flower smells really great, simply beautiful and sweet and sometimes even covers the roses for a short time. A little later, the fragrance becomes even more intense as far as the floral notes are concerned, and also a little more bitter and slightly woody. I smell now general, flowery notes, because I can't really tell them apart anymore. Even the roses mix with the other floral notes from time to time, so that sometimes you can no longer smell the rose completely on its own.
Towards the end the astringency fades away again and the fragrance, which was already soft all the time, becomes even softer, which is also due to the fact that the iris continues to radiate beautifully with its powdery note.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The Sillage is okay. No cracker, but its intensity is initially sufficient to be able to smell the scent well at one. However, it does not always remain at this level, as it soon begins to weaken continuously. The shelf life, on the other hand, is better with about eight hours.

The bottle:
The bottle is rectangular with bevelled edges, clear and filled with pink scented liquid. There is no label and it seems as if only the brand name was printed on the front of the bottle. The lid is also rectangular and black-grey. Everything's okay, even if it's easy and simple.

Well, I think that Dahlia Noir EDP deserved a much better average score than the one given here on Parfumo, because he really smells nice. Okay, I admit, he smells interchangeable. Yeah, there's a lot of scents that smell like that. And for those who have already tried a lot of scents, it may even seem boring. But that doesn't change the fact that the fragrance is generally nice and pleasant, which in my opinion is a good reason to try it out. Otherwise it has at most still the disadvantage that the smell weakens sillagemäßig somewhat too fast.

It fits well in spring and summer and is suitable both during the day and in the evening. Seen this way, he is a good all-rounder that can be worn on many occasions. It is also one of those fragrances that you could always reach for when you don't know what kind of fragrance you could wear for a certain occasion, well, as I said, it's just an all-rounder.

Soo, that's it again. I hope you don't think I'm stupid or something because I don't know much about flowers or because of the cut flower story in my introduction... :D
Well, actually I'd rather not know what you think of me, argh!!! D

Well then, have a nice evening together :)

expensive luxury cream
So I don't know what to think of this perfume. I am addicted to powder cream and clean soap perfumes. This is definitely not a perfume that's powdery. Here are comments how powdery perfume you get at all?! unfortunately I don't join these comments. I smell a bit of care a bit of cream and a bit of freshness but more but not either and that keeps paying attention only three hours!! if anything!!!! my nose doesn't notice this scent after 3 hours at the most. I was expecting something like Chloe love and a little Prada Iris. I'm very very disappointed. Since it is no longer produced, I bought the perfume privately very expensive. Well I don't know what to do with the 70 ml bottle now but well at least I have satisfied my curiosity
5.0 4.0 6.0 6.5/10

Dahlia Poudré
Dahlia Noir is well blended?feels like chiffon. I can smell iris, pepper, orange, mimose and sandalwood. However, neither of them is overpowering. It's a powdery floral scent with a delicate sweetness. I think it works well in the three warmer seasons. It's tender and inoffensive, suitable for daily use in office. The sillage is pretty close to skin, the longevity is around 6h on me. Overall I like it, but do not yet have enough desire to own a full bottle.

The bottle suits the fragrance well. The ad campaign is ok if focusing on the tenderness illustrated by the fluctuation of the chiffon. It's not the sort of mysterious powerful gothic "noir", that's for sure. However, it has a slight melancholic vibe. But still, I'm not fond of the name as it makes me think of something unpleasant. I agree with cedriceccentric, that something "Poudré" as name might be better.

Originally written in 2013
8.0 8.0 10.0 7.0/10

Chimidoro
Perfect on a warm, rainy afternoon.
Dahlia Noir (EDP) opens brightly with juicy orange and fresh mimosa, then swiftly becomes predominantly musky. A subtly sensuous, powdery, salty "clean skin" vanillic musk, with a smooth, buttery iris, providing a delectable backdrop for moist, crisp pink rose petals.

At times I'm reminded of Astral body cream - the one in the big blue tub.
If I had to compare this to another scent, I'd describe Dahlia Noir (EDP) as a modernized, fresher, zesty, creamier, far less suffocatingly sweet take on/version of Ombre Rose. (I personally find Ombre Rose to be somewhat smothering, too strong, too sweet, too linear, and a little bit (DARE I SAY?) dated. At times I can appreciate it, sometimes love it, but overall I'm far fonder of the fresher, zestier Dahlia Noir!)

It's like taking a snooze after indulging in a whole tub of vanilla ice cream with honey drizzled all over it.
Dahlia Noir (EDP) puts me in mind of clean, moist skin with a delicate layer of oil/sweat. I find this scent comforting and refreshing. A nice "pick-me-up" for days/evenings when you're in the mood for something a little more natural smelling.
My best friend says it smells like dill. Strange but true, and I'm inclined to agree!

Easy to over-spray, so beware; it's really not required. Better to top up in a few hours than to over-apply. Keep it low-key.
It has relatively good lasting power (up to 8 hours on my skin), projects to arm length (with only a couple of sprays), and becomes skin-close after around 3-4 hours.

(February 22nd, 2015)
5.0 7.5 5.0 1.0/10

Not so Noir
I tried this for the first time when I was in a local department store. I had wanted to test it for as long as it has been around. The minute I see the word "noir" in a perfume, the old goth in me immediately wants to try it!

To start with I was encouraged by what I smelt. Floral, sweet and slightly juicy. Not what I imagined from something "noir" but it was very pretty all the same. I was tempted to buy it, but my other half was with me and dragged me away from the counter before I spent even more money on perfumes. I let him smell it on me and his first reaction was that it was "headache inducing flowers". I am always disappointed when he doesn't like a perfume because I feel I can't wear it around him. However, I hoped that it would improve and that my partner may, in the end, like it.

Soon I thought I smelt something dirty around me. I realised it was the perfume when I smelt my hand again. Oh no, bad patchouli. I'm not a great fan of patchouli because, in my opinion, it is done so badly in so many perfumes and, unfortunately, this appeared to be one. However, iris is a note that I usually always love, but here it smelt very artificial and harsh. My other half said it smelt like toilet cleaner!

So far I had lost the pretty opening and was left with dirty, harsh patchouli and artificial iris. I loath giving bad reviews to a perfume as everything is subjective, but I really can't be positive about Dahlia Noir. I love Givenchy so was very surprised by this fragrance. Even if I don't like a perfume, like Organza, I couldn't ever say that it was horrible, it just isn't to my taste. But Dahlia Noir, oh my, it's just not very nice at all. I'm grateful to my partner now that he didn't let me buy it!
2.0/10

a high-priced non-perfume
I got a couple of samples of this because the notes sound luscious. The first few minutes had a bit of orange and a bit of powdery green mimosa, so I was expecting good things. However, at about 5 minutes, it dried down into something more like an inexpensive toiletry and stayed there. I would say that this smells like something in between Nivea Creme and baby wipes. Not an experience I'm eager to repeat.

by EauMySoul
by GruftiKatze
by Gwiazdka72
by Gwiazdka72

Popular Givenchy

Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Dahlia Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Xeryus Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Dahlia Divin (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Ange ou Démon Le Secret (Eau de Parfum) / Ange ou Étrange Le Secret by Givenchy Very Irrésistible Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Very Irrésistible Givenchy for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Play (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy