Dahlia Noir 2011 Eau de Parfum

Dahlia Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy
Bottle Design Fabien Baron
Dahlia Noir (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Givenchy for women and was released in 2011. The scent is floral-powdery. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesMandarin orangeMandarin orange
RoseRose
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwoodSandalwood
Tonka beanTonka bean
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 24.07.2021.

Smora
Contemporary Lady (Francois Demachy, 2011)
Scentrack: Moloko – I Want You

In my opinion Givenchy is one of the greatest fashion houses ever. However, many of their fragrance releases in this millennium were unworthy of this historical name. Dahlia Noir, created by Francois Demachy of Dior, gives a hope that Givenchy got it right. Personally, I really like Dahlia Noir EdP. It is elegant and modern, yet reserved with hidden old time grandiosity.
Dahlia Noir opens with an unusually fresh burst of mandarin, accompanied by short-lived berrylike accord similar to Guerlain’s La Petite Robe Noire. Among this fruit interplay, one could sense some perfectly tweaked peppery and powdery nuances. After initial fruity playfulness, Dahlia gradually morphs into a flowery heart of iris and rose. The iris note is rather fresh, juxtaposed to damascone rose of both floral and jam-like aspects. This jam-like aspect is a perfect introduction to sweeter and almost gourmand base. Like every other part of the composition, the base is again very skillfully tweaked. Tonka bean, vanilla and woody notes are very carefully arranged to give a contemporary feminine touch to the composition. Dahlia Noir is a perfect example of hybrid contemporary-classic chimeras. All the contemporary aspects are skillfully paired to classical thoughtfulness by the perfumer. Very nice for professional environment, dinner or theatre due to its duality.
Simply, a beautiful and well balanced creation that successfully avoids all the traps of modern vulgarity. Almost gourmand, yet classical. Almost unisex, yet so distinctively feminine. A beautiful work.
DonJuanDeCat
Flowery, sweet, feminine and above all: better than expected!
Hey hey guys, how are you doing? I hope so, don't I? The weather is getting nicer again and the people (especially the females) are becoming more revealing and... argh... okay okay, I swear it high and holy: Even if I am forgiven once, I will write less such things... I suppose at least once, but I can promise NOTHING,... yesahaaa, I'm bad man... *sigh* :DD
But hey, as long as you smile! Or are you even twisting your eyes? Again? Nooo...!!

Anyway, I'll think about what dahlias are for a while. Because today I test Dahlia Noir (EDP) from Givenchy. I know it's a simple mainstream scent that hasn't even been rated very well here, but I do smell myself to judge whether you're all right or just "sniffed wrong" :D

And as I said... dahlias... I can't remember for the life of me writing a comment here and mentioning dahlias in it. So I have to ask Google again what dahlias are, and look, there are colorful flowers that I seem to know "from somewhere". Ah yes... seen a thousand times, but never knew what they really were called. I always thought (NOW DO NOT LAUGH!!) that they were just... cut flowers... called mu ha ha ha, full of crap! And before you say anything, yes I now know what cut flowers are, but somehow I always saw such plants as dahlias under cut flowers and therefore thought that the term "cut flower" was the name of a flower species!!! :DD

Well, but well, one day one is smarter and hopes to be able to remember all this too, only forgets everything quickly again and is in the matter of plants once again totally stupid... :D
But now for the scent!

The fragrance:
The fragrance begins gently powdery with the iris and other beautiful, sweetish-floral fragrances. These do not smell at first immediately determinable, then however the roses crystallize particularly well out. It is accompanied by spicy-fruity pink pepper, which gives a light, spicy touch, as well as a nice sweetness radiates. The mandarin is also perceived afterwards, and it smells of the delicious, sweet fruit flesh of the fruit, but unfortunately fades much too quickly again.
The other flower note next to the rose should be either the mimosa or the dahlia, I have no idea and hope that I am right with one of these flowers... :D
This flower smells really great, simply beautiful and sweet and sometimes even covers the roses for a short time. A little later, the fragrance becomes even more intense as far as the floral notes are concerned, and also a little more bitter and slightly woody. I smell now general, flowery notes, because I can't really tell them apart anymore. Even the roses mix with the other floral notes from time to time, so that sometimes you can no longer smell the rose completely on its own.
Towards the end the astringency fades away again and the fragrance, which was already soft all the time, becomes even softer, which is also due to the fact that the iris continues to radiate beautifully with its powdery note.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The Sillage is okay. No cracker, but its intensity is initially sufficient to be able to smell the scent well at one. However, it does not always remain at this level, as it soon begins to weaken continuously. The shelf life, on the other hand, is better with about eight hours.

The bottle:
The bottle is rectangular with bevelled edges, clear and filled with pink scented liquid. There is no label and it seems as if only the brand name was printed on the front of the bottle. The lid is also rectangular and black-grey. Everything's okay, even if it's easy and simple.

Well, I think that Dahlia Noir EDP deserved a much better average score than the one given here on Parfumo, because he really smells nice. Okay, I admit, he smells interchangeable. Yeah, there's a lot of scents that smell like that. And for those who have already tried a lot of scents, it may even seem boring. But that doesn't change the fact that the fragrance is generally nice and pleasant, which in my opinion is a good reason to try it out. Otherwise it has at most still the disadvantage that the smell weakens sillagemäßig somewhat too fast.

It fits well in spring and summer and is suitable both during the day and in the evening. Seen this way, he is a good all-rounder that can be worn on many occasions. It is also one of those fragrances that you could always reach for when you don't know what kind of fragrance you could wear for a certain occasion, well, as I said, it's just an all-rounder.

Soo, that's it again. I hope you don't think I'm stupid or something because I don't know much about flowers or because of the cut flower story in my introduction... :D
Well, actually I'd rather not know what you think of me, argh!!! D

Well then, have a nice evening together :)
No American Horror Story
In the series the black dahlia is of course one of them. The name sounds romantic-mysterious, scandalous, close to crime and femme fatal - if you don't think of the garden flower. But it's not available in black either, so mysterious again. But I also feel the scent quite differently. The American canon of horror does not catch as soon as the genie is out of the bottle. The name does not transfer to the idea of the fragrance, but the fragrance has a shape of its own
Delicate to antique pink, slightly fruity powder welcomes the nose. This powder cloud does not tempt you to sneeze, but is confined, shaped, soft and elegant. Creamy perhaps? The rose is a warm rose and not at all superficial, with me iris and sandalwood predominate. The connection between rose and iris has been taken over by the frsich-soft mimosa that is listed in the top note. Thus the fragrance does not seem too old and never distant despite an elegance that cannot be denied. It also remains slightly citric, the tangerine lingers and goes well with the flowers. Patchouli gives grounding. Soft tonka bean and soft powdery sweetness at the end. In the effect so that one can associate it with skin smell, alive and breathing, not with fabric softener or even the victim of a crime. AugustA thinks: astonishingly good scent!

Inhale and light eye flutter with a hint of goose bumps at the transition from head to heart note. It's like meeting and evoking a light touch in the fragrance.

The fragrance stays dry throughout the whole process, is soft and remains soft, I mean to smell more and more clearly milky sandalwood even in the base. This merges again over this leftover hint of tangerine and mimosa with the blossoms and powder. Delicately clean, not pure, no soap. I don't smell vanilla either, which I like. So nothing can get corny. At the very end he gets a slightly gourmand scent, maybe the tonka bean, not unlike vanilla, maybe even something slightly roasted. If you smell it directly, none of it, it only gets into your nose half an arm's length away.

The fragrance will certainly last a whole evening and is still detectable in the morning. I can't imagine it during the day
Contrary to expectations, the Black dahlia remains for me far beyond the usual vanilla-fruitcuily-gourmand schemes and is a very charming winner. Recommendable.

Dahlia Poudré
Dahlia Noir is well blended?feels like chiffon. I can smell iris, pepper, orange, mimose and sandalwood. However, neither of them is overpowering. It's a powdery floral scent with a delicate sweetness. I think it works well in the three warmer seasons. It's tender and inoffensive, suitable for daily use in office. The sillage is pretty close to skin, the longevity is around 6h on me. Overall I like it, but do not yet have enough desire to own a full bottle.

The bottle suits the fragrance well. The ad campaign is ok if focusing on the tenderness illustrated by the fluctuation of the chiffon. It's not the sort of mysterious powerful gothic "noir", that's for sure. However, it has a slight melancholic vibe. But still, I'm not fond of the name as it makes me think of something unpleasant. I agree with cedriceccentric, that something "Poudré" as name might be better.

Originally written in 2013

Chimidoro
Perfect on a warm, rainy afternoon.
Dahlia Noir (EDP) opens brightly with juicy orange and fresh mimosa, then swiftly becomes predominantly musky. A subtly sensuous, powdery, salty "clean skin" vanillic musk, with a smooth, buttery iris, providing a delectable backdrop for moist, crisp pink rose petals.

At times I'm reminded of Astral body cream - the one in the big blue tub.
If I had to compare this to another scent, I'd describe Dahlia Noir (EDP) as a modernized, fresher, zesty, creamier, far less suffocatingly sweet take on/version of Ombre Rose. (I personally find Ombre Rose to be somewhat smothering, too strong, too sweet, too linear, and a little bit (DARE I SAY?) dated. At times I can appreciate it, sometimes love it, but overall I'm far fonder of the fresher, zestier Dahlia Noir!)

It's like taking a snooze after indulging in a whole tub of vanilla ice cream with honey drizzled all over it.
Dahlia Noir (EDP) puts me in mind of clean, moist skin with a delicate layer of oil/sweat. I find this scent comforting and refreshing. A nice "pick-me-up" for days/evenings when you're in the mood for something a little more natural smelling.
My best friend says it smells like dill. Strange but true, and I'm inclined to agree!

Easy to over-spray, so beware; it's really not required. Better to top up in a few hours than to over-apply. Keep it low-key.
It has relatively good lasting power (up to 8 hours on my skin), projects to arm length (with only a couple of sprays), and becomes skin-close after around 3-4 hours.

(February 22nd, 2015)

Not so Noir
I tried this for the first time when I was in a local department store. I had wanted to test it for as long as it has been around. The minute I see the word "noir" in a perfume, the old goth in me immediately wants to try it!

To start with I was encouraged by what I smelt. Floral, sweet and slightly juicy. Not what I imagined from something "noir" but it was very pretty all the same. I was tempted to buy it, but my other half was with me and dragged me away from the counter before I spent even more money on perfumes. I let him smell it on me and his first reaction was that it was "headache inducing flowers". I am always disappointed when he doesn't like a perfume because I feel I can't wear it around him. However, I hoped that it would improve and that my partner may, in the end, like it.

Soon I thought I smelt something dirty around me. I realised it was the perfume when I smelt my hand again. Oh no, bad patchouli. I'm not a great fan of patchouli because, in my opinion, it is done so badly in so many perfumes and, unfortunately, this appeared to be one. However, iris is a note that I usually always love, but here it smelt very artificial and harsh. My other half said it smelt like toilet cleaner!

So far I had lost the pretty opening and was left with dirty, harsh patchouli and artificial iris. I loath giving bad reviews to a perfume as everything is subjective, but I really can't be positive about Dahlia Noir. I love Givenchy so was very surprised by this fragrance. Even if I don't like a perfume, like Organza, I couldn't ever say that it was horrible, it just isn't to my taste. But Dahlia Noir, oh my, it's just not very nice at all. I'm grateful to my partner now that he didn't let me buy it!

a high-priced non-perfume
I got a couple of samples of this because the notes sound luscious. The first few minutes had a bit of orange and a bit of powdery green mimosa, so I was expecting good things. However, at about 5 minutes, it dried down into something more like an inexpensive toiletry and stayed there. I would say that this smells like something in between Nivea Creme and baby wipes. Not an experience I'm eager to repeat.

by EauMySoul
by Hanismells
by Gwiazdka72
by Gwiazdka72

Popular Givenchy

Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2021) (Eau de Parfum Rouge) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2020) (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Givenchy Vetyver by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (2007) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy Cologne by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Parfum) by Givenchy