Gentleman Givenchy Cologne 2019

Gentleman Givenchy Cologne by Givenchy
Gentleman Givenchy Cologne is a popular perfume by Givenchy for men and was released in 2019. The scent is fresh-citrusy. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
LemonLemon
RosemaryRosemary
Heart Notes Heart NotesIrisIris
Base Notes Base NotesVetiverVetiver
MuskMusk

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 21.10.2021.

In the Colognist Cafe: Friedrich Engels
It is often complained that there are hardly any real gentlemen left today. At Givenchy, that is definitely not the case. There they are becoming more and more. It started in 1974 with 'Givenchy Gentleman', then came the flanker 'Gentlemen Only' in 2013. Since then, the old-school gents have been multiplying like rabbits.

The singular Gentleman of 1974 has since been joined by a 'Gentleman Givenchy', that is, with the word components reversed, as EdT (2017), EdP (2018) and here, voilà, as EdC (2019). Since the common concentrations were through after that, a somewhat woody gentleman (Gentleman Boisée, 2020) and an intense gentleman (Gentleman EdT intense, 2021) followed, which seems a bit dubious to me, since I always thought gentlemen excelled at distinguished restraint.

The plural Gentlemen weren't lazy either. Here, too, there was an Intense (2014), then a Casual Chic (2015) and then, in the same year 2016, a Fraiche and an Absolute. For the past 5 years, there has been an almost frightening silence in the multi-branch. It is to be hoped that these gentlemen are not afflicted with a lasting malaise.

I don't know all of these fragrances, nor do I want to know them all. I own the Ur-Gentlemen-Only from 2014 and have tested two or three others. On this narrow empirical basis, I dare say that the gentlemen are all really related, or, as one might say scientistically: share the same DNA. So if you know one or two other representatives of this clan, you shouldn't expect anything completely different from this cologne.

And indeed, these gentlemen are all not the type of eccentric noblemen who urinate from the roof of the Scottish country estate in a wide arc around the bet, praise Pol Pot at the whiskey in the gentlemen's club or wear women's underwear under the tailcoat. They tend to be younger, upper-middle-class gentlemen with middle-class occupations, smooth and affable, unassuming, sometimes to the point of being soft-spoken.

This fragrance is also more Givenchy gentleman than cologne, but still: the citrusy top note is there and the (here rather bitter than fresh green) rosemary, which is present in almost every washed cologne from 4711 to Alvarez Gomez, is not missing. However, you almost have to know about this cologne beforehand to recognize it. Because the modern tendency, at least since Mugler's cologne, to soften a classic cologne with musk (which I detest in itself), is so over the top here that it becomes - dialectical reversal of quantity into quality! - it becomes good again. Next to a generous shot of musk still steps a directly docking herb-creamy iris, served with coarse ladle, and, as if it were not enough, a pleasantly fibrous vetiver.

With that, this fragrance actually moves almost beyond the boundaries of what I treat as a cologne in my series. But what is again colognetypisch, is the low durability of about two to three hours. I don't find this to be a drawback, on the contrary, it contributes to my appreciation of this fragrance and allowing it into my collection instead of the Ur-Plural. This tart creamy elegant freshness is very nice for a short time and can be congenially appropriate, for example, when you get freshly showered in a light gray suit, as a companion for the whole day it would be a little too little captivating for me.

It should be added that I got the overall good idea to try it with this gentleman, through the esteemed Runa, who has enriched this forum for a good while by her youthful-fresh writing. It is a pity that she has fallen silent here (for the time being, I hope not). But the number of gentlemen and gentlewomen I miss on this forum is growing as fast as the givenchistic flankers anyway.

Fifth visit to the colognist cafe. Blog has been updated.

Cologne, unfortunately
A fragrance that smells fantastic ! Very bright, clean and refreshing. It can be worn to the office, dates, on a daily basis and so on. This won't do any harm, let's get this straight. Slight projection with 5-6 hours of longevity. This is that fragrance that you can pick when you want to be fresh and clean without "showing" it too much. Fantastic pick for a hot day. Citrusy, floral and a bit woody also. That kind of smell that you reach for after a cold shower on a hot summer day, for sure. At times, this is very cheap and I really recommend it for the smell but if you want a beast mode, you may reconsider. For me it's pure love even if it's not the greatest performer.
Overall rating : 8/10

is performance that bad?
Is longevity really that bad? I've worn this a couple of time and I recall it lasting 4 hours the first couple of times, didn't wear it for a while (due to rotation) and today I decided to try it again so I did the usual 6 to 7 sprays (I'm an oversprayer) and went on with my day: working from home, walked the dog for a bit, lunch, more work from home and over 6 hours into my day my wife told me she could get my scent as soon as I walked into the room, that's a decent 7hrs longevity. I don't recall it performing this good before, perhaps maceration did it's thing I don't know but I'll test further cause this frag smell great and if you remove the performance issue from the mix we get a winner here.

Dopeweasel
I love it, but its not great.
First review on parfumo, i'll try my best to keep it a buck.

The opening is a 10. Burst of lemoney (bergamot) freshness upon opening, the iris is worth noting as well (not as strong as prada l'homme's iris, more casual but refined). Although this sounds cliche, it honestly reminds me of standing amidst a field of flowers. There is a strange appealing aquatic feel to this scent too, reminds me of my days swimming, or coming out of the shower fresh. Very bright and inoffensive notes. I will admit i'm not getting rosemary at all.

Simple fragrance make up , but as the bergamot leaves, you get the subtle musk lingering on. However the scent becomes no more than a skin scent after 1 hour on me. I do however, catching myself take whiffs off the back of my hand just to enjoy it, however it would be strictly a scent the wearer can enjoy. Longevity wise its not great, quickly goes into a skin scent after 3 hours and then fades more rapidly after. I've hear other youtubers say the same and occasionally the dissenting opinion that it may last 6 - 7 hours.

This is one of the weaker scents by a long shot. He is the yamcha or krillin of the givenchy line when it comes to longevity and sillage, but he is a fan favourite. Not a great anime reference by a long shot, but you get me.

Hard to say whether this is worth its price being 100$ aud. Bright citrus and aromatic is honestly the most generic accords of the fragrance world. But definitely try it before you purchase it. I loved it from its opening and i work in a very closed environment (physio) which is why i purchased it. If i were to go further, you can increase the longevity by spraying it on your collar as well as your sleeves; it's a clear scent so it wont stain.
I would say that this would also be a perfect gift for others when you are not sure what fragrance to gift them (blind buy worthy if you can forgive the poor longevity and sillage). Givenchy did a great job at pertaining to a wider (15 - 30 yr old) audience with this one, but it's not as sophisticated and mature as their givenchy gentleman edp.

I highly enjoy this scent, however it's not the greatest performer.
He's not easy!
After long pondering and testing I have now purchased a Buddel Gentleman Cologne.
Now he has the ability to start exploding and then fly away incredibly fast. It was no different in the test phase. But he had to come! He's got something other scents don't. Don't ask me what it is. But there is something!
Well, as I said, he's not gonna last a normal working day. On the clothes in the evening still perceptible however with me after 3 to 4 hours the puff is out.
That's too bad I have to mention that I needed 6-8 or 10 sprays. Yes!
Then came the day when I dared to think about giving it away.
No! But then I thought to myself again. Because there's something special about it.
Well dear people now came a solution!
I wear the scent in the evening after the shower or before I go to bed. Wonderful! No more 6 to 10 more sprays! Just two more.
Then I can enjoy it in peace - the special one with the certain something!
How God created him
It has nothing to do with the original anymore. But that's almost the only thing you can blame this Givenchy cologne for. Okay, Sillage and durability are also bad, that's right. But that's it then... almost. Because actually he is only a wafer-thin copy of "Dior Homme Cologne" with a shot of "Paco"... Oh, man. Sometimes it's hard to talk your way through a (semi-)bad buy... Fun. Or at least exaggerated. Cause "gentleman cologne" isn't a bad smell. Never ever. And he is also better than most expect, even pricked out at the airport in a long test session. Especially from the other mess that looked like summer. But out of "love for the first snooper" our hobby often turns into a medium disappointment. It happens all the time... Is this such a failure on the second nose?

Let's start with the positive. There's plenty of that. From the greener "Dior Homme Cologne", which in itself is complimentary enough, to the memory of the old Duty Free Rabanne, to its refreshing aura of lemon, rosemary and iris, which comes ingeniously after a shower, this is a great place. Especially on the first nose he was exactly my booty scheme. The top note kills! Moreover, the Dior is not a hit for nothing and this fresh gentleman has a dash of spice or bitterness that makes him stand out from the crowd. Rosemary, thank you! That's why he ended up in my collection. It is easy to wear, very clean, sexy and in summer, perhaps to the white shirt, a real nose willow. All these, are enough reasons to evaluate him well and leave him in the showcase. Let's let him prove it to you this summer... And now to the downsides. Here the miserable performance would be to be called and the (despite catchy head) missing independence. It hurts, but it's not too bad. Especially when I consider his pro-arguments. Therefore: revised - no bad buy. Just not the summer cookie I'd hoped for!

Flacon: very clean, very noble, very chic
Sillage: extremely low, very discreet
Durability: hardly worth mentioning. At least not for the better. 2-3 hours. This is bad.

Conclusion: a fresh green, slightly Italian lemon. Adult and clean, light and sporty, summery and sexy. If you free yourself from the thought of the original, a very fine summer freshener. Easygoing, with manners and masculine enough. If only he hadn't left so quickly..

BertolucciKBertolucciK 5 months ago
The opening is very fresh with smooth citruses, petitgrain and a hint of rose. I get a bit of iris and musk also. The scent is clean, weak.
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 5 months ago
The perfect "cologne". Light, refreshing clean and non offensive. The scent somewhat reminds me of Artisan Pure with added iris
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
Nice clean smell but it fades away in 45 minutes.
AJGAJG 2 years ago
*a fragrance enters the room in disguise
"Hi, I'm Kenneth Cole Blue - I mean Givenchy Gentleman Cologne"
*awkward looks from everyone
HugoMontezHugoMontez 3 years ago
A very classy fresh scent. In the same vein as Dior Homme Cologne. Petitgrain, bergamot and Iris. Sublime. The problem is the longevity...

by VegaOcean
by Oldish2002
by WitDeBois
by WitDeBois

Popular Givenchy

Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2021) (Eau de Parfum Rouge) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Vetyver by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2020) (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy III (2007) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Xeryus (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy