Gentleman Givenchy 2018 Eau de Parfum

Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy
Top 75 in Men's Perfume
Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Givenchy for men and was released in 2018. The scent is powdery-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBlack pepperBlack pepper LavenderLavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesTolu balmTolu balm Iris pallidaIris pallida
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouliPatchouli VanillaVanilla

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 19.05.2022.

The face of the advertising campaign is British actor Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

Ataraxia, A Katastematic Pleasure
In Epicurean philosophy, katastematic pleasure is the pleasure experienced when one is in a state of freedom from need or desire, as opposed to kinetic pleasure, which one feels while performing a rewarding activity. The absence of pain, apony, and the lack of mental disorders, ataraxia, are two of the katastematic pleasures and are often seen as the focal points of Epicurus. Furthermore, epicurean means, among other things, a person devoted to sensual enjoyment, especially that derived from refined food and drink. Can we apply the exact definition to perfume? If so, I'm epicurean as Gentleman Givenchy Eau de Parfum mentally induces me to sensual pleasure.

First, the cologne is not linear, and I can experience a transition between the spicy, dusty and balsamic phases. Far from being too sweet, it appears spicier and more powdery. Gentleman EDP oozes as dark and mysterious as the colour of the bottle, with some earthy undertones as it blends with the chemistry of my skin. Perfumers have created a perfectly refined fragrance, with some niche trends using the currently trendy note of iris. However, as a lover of iris and vanilla, I was intrigued by the simplified olfactory pyramid of this new flanker.

An explosion of oriental warm and spicy tones characterizes the opening. I get the sparkling pepper, slightly alcoholic, which pinches the nostrils and plays with the delicacy of the aromatic lavender, creating contrasting notes. While the violescent lavender isn't too overwhelming, relatively subdued indeed, I can pick up a hint of vanilla early from the base notes. Hence, the opening is somewhat edgy with spices and aromatic herbs, a sweet burst of vanilla and iris with peppery facets. That explosion of spiciness is simply a prelude, which gives way to the accord of the heart, the true protagonist of the fragrance.

We wait a few minutes, and then the magic appears. As the pepper takes a step back, the warmth of the tolu balm ignites the heart note of the iris, which emerges in all its fullness and delicacy with a manly touch. The dark, dry and deep resin shows undertones of cinnamon and vanilla. Also, the way they used iris here doesn't translate into lipstick or baby talcum vibe, like other designer fragrances. I get something waxy and nutty, reminiscent of chestnut flour cake. It could be the blend of iris and tolu balm, which provides dry mossiness comparable to ambrette seeds. The dustiness of the heart feels very sensual, and I love the way tolu, vanilla and iris come together to create a sweet balsamic sensation.

Finally, the base transforms into something on the darker side, with more resinous and balsamic undertones. The sweetness decreases as the fragrance stabilizes. All the peppery edges are gone at this point. I get all the sweetness of the vanilla and the earthiness of the warm balsamic patchouli, which makes it very intriguing. In addition, the trail that comes out of the skin has a soft creaminess. I swear, I'd say there's sandalwood in here that makes everything so creamy. A very pleasant and well-balanced dry-down.

From the start, I've observed that Gentleman EDP is deliberately creepy and addictive. Very addicting. I can quickly wear it in the office, especially in the cold months, as it is harmless and elegant. Still, I find it much more suitable for evening and night appointments, in autumn or winter. The sillage is moderate and certainly didn't disappoint, and the longevity is outstanding and projects over the arm after many hours. I cannot deny that Gentleman EDP has a delicious and welcoming smell on the skin. Try this one if you are looking for a warm and delicious resinous powdery scent.

I base the review on a decant I have owned since 2021.

-Elysium

Nice, smooth, & long lasting
That’s how I would sum this one up. I definitely agree that it has a very similar vibe to Dior Homme Intense; especially in the opening. You definitely feel a similar Iris note. As it develops though, more of an individual fingerprint emerges. The vanilla becomes more prominent, eventually taking center stage.

I really like the Gentleman line, placing this one and the EDP Boisee at the top of the line in my personal opinion. This one (the EDP) sets itself above the rest as far as longevity goes, lasting an easy 10+ hours on my skin. A very solid projection cloud reaches outward to a 4ft radius for 3-4 hours of that time, but even as a skin scent, it is still VERY present, resonating nicely. The sillage trail is very prominent as well, and people will know where you have been.

Again it’s preferance, but if you’re rating it as far as performance, the EDP wins that battle easily, while the Boisee has the best Scent in my opinion. The EDT Intense is also nice, but the Iris in that one is a little too waxy feeling to “win the comparison battle” on my battlefield.

I’d say give them all a peek, as they are all fantastic.
RaoulDuke
The epitome of the grown man
Take a man who no longer wants to be young and wild, and combine this with the will to escape adolescence and you have the prototype of Givenchy Gentleman Eau de Parfum carrier.

For me, the simmvolle further development of the Dior Homme Intense DNA. By the lavender in advance one gives the fragrance a touch less dryness of the powdery iris and so wraps this in a modern robe. For me, more wearable in the office than Dior Homme, perhaps a counterpart to L'Homme by Prada for the colder days. Equally, of course, to evening wear and more upscale occasions wearable.

Personally, I did not like the slightly alcoholic note at the beginning immediately, however, this evaporates, you know the opening sometime but to appreciate. Simply a wonderful fragrance at an affordable price with great durability.
Manuel81
Dior homme intense + Prada Black =..
... Gyvenchi Gentleman... Sounds interesting to you?.. In a nutshell, yes... It is.
Unfortunately, remains on the skin after 3 hours with me nothing but vanilla.
On clothing, the whole thing looks different... And since it is anyway an autumn / winter fragrance... So also no problem.
Regarding sillage almost comparable with DHI.... regarding durability, easy 8 hours... On clothing several days
PDBrnr
Some fragrances need a little more time
I'm the kind of person who, before buying something, spends hours - in this case, months - researching what would be the best choice. When my interest in smelling good was sparked, I started visiting perfumeries several times a week to try out as many as my nose would allow. I watched Youtube videos, read reviews, and Parfumo became by far my most visited website.

And so, little by little, my arsenal of fragrances emerged, from summer freshies to the extravagance from Kilian (Intoxicated). A total of 7 perfumes are now in my closet. Every imaginable scenario, location, occasion and the devil knows what, I have covered in the best possible way. Except....

I didn't really have an everyday alternative for the colder months. Layton, yes, I already had in my closet.... and Intoxicated too but is it suitable for everyday use? I answered that for me personally with a "rather no". So it was clear, I need one last perfume to close this small (some would say non-existent) gap. So again I searched meticulously for that one perfect match. And so it happened that at some point I also tested Gentleman EdP and unfortunately I don't remember why but for some reason I didn't like it. Maybe the nose was already too foggy from trying it, maybe it was too rarely mentioned in Youtube videos like "Top 10 winter fragrances". Anyway, I didn't find the right perfume and so I postponed my search until later.

And a few days ago was now this "later", so off to the perfumery and test. Shelf by shelf I first went down and tried to remember what my favorites were, until I stood in front of the Gentlemen and knew that these were not one of them. But I just couldn't remember what they smelled like. I knew from Parfumo that the EdP was in the top 100, so I brought test strips, put the perfume on and what happened I couldn't believe myself. I, who could hardly be more critical and usually has something wrong with every perfume, actually believed to have found the perfect perfume. That can not be. So neat up on my hand and let's see how it turns out. And indeed, I was so thrilled by this lavender, iris, vanilla combo, I couldn't stop smelling it - even involuntarily, since sillage and longevity are really top. At the end of the day it was clear: this will be my addition for the cold season. Whether for work, leisure, as a date fragrance, for going out, game night, at the ski lodge.... i could imagine the fragrance everywhere well.

The scent is not a revolution, nothing extraordinary (the similarity to Uomo Intense is unmistakable to me) but it is perfectly matched for my taste, with the right ingredients. Not quite as make-up iris-y as DHI, not as iris-dominant as Prada l'homme, not as youthful as le male le parfum, not leathery like Uomo Intense (personally, I'm not a lover of leather in fragrances). For me, it combined the best of the perfumes I just mentioned. Thus, my Layton has great competition from now on
The gentle gentleman
I was interested in the name. What is probably hidden behind the gentleman fragrance?

So I got me a sample package of Givenchy and tested him times:

He starts with subtle silage, which seems dry-powdery. Something "lavendelig" angehaucht is the powder also. The opening is too powdery for me. Good thing it becomes more floral with lavender accent within minutes.

After 1 to 2 hours, it has become pleasantly subtly chocolaty. He has developed the well-known "tolu gourmand". He seems to me now pleasant and noble. The silage is still okay. The florality has stepped into the background, works together with the powderiness on me something very "soft-purged" and stale.

This is the smoother and gentler, more adapted Gentleman compared to "Gentlemen Only" or "This is him!" by Zadig & Voltair. There's not that peppery note here that is characteristic of the other two. This one is soft, floral, powdery and gourmand all at once throughout.
A beautiful fragrance for special occasions, especially in the winter months (but quite wearable all year round) to which the Ü40 would like to appear as a particularly serious and gentle gentleman.

For me, however, he is a trace too powdery. Desshalb he will not my gentleman favorite. I prefer here fragrances with more "Pepp" (in the true sense of the word). But it's still one of the very few powdery scents I like.
New winter favourite
I have to admit that at first I was a bit reluctant because freshly sprayed Givenchy Gentleman smells very spicy and tart. A scent I don't like at all.
I am glad that the fragrance is taking a very good course.
Because after about 10 minutes this strong peppery scent fades away and a sweetish powdery iris and a balsamic patchoulin note remains. Later, the tender vanilla also becomes present and rounds off this elegantly pleasant fragrance composition.
Gentleman may be compared to other fragrances like Valentino Uomo Intense or Dior Homme Intense, but I find this one a little more subtle and sophisticated than the two mentioned.
I would even say it has something of Prada L'Homme, only this one is a bit more complex.
Gentleman smells much better to me on clothes than on skin, because the flowery soapy component is reinforced so that you go through the day with a clean feeling.
By the way you don't have to wear a suit to wear this fragrance, it is enough to be dressed a little casually. Gentleman's adapting pretty well.
For me a new favourite for the cold season and something different than those overly spicy winter scents
5.5

Dark vanilla balsam
Well, this is heavy on the balsam/resins. Tolu balm, a sweet vanillic kind of balsam, incredibly warm and dark. Lavender is too faint to really notice in the top. I get some spices now and then, hints of cloves. After the spicy opening it turns into a vanilla balsam that remains forever. A rather straightforward development.

There is a powdery feel at first, which may explain the resemblance to Dior Homme Intense, that some people mentioned. I don't really see much resemblance though. Givenchy Gentleman EdP is milder on the powderiness and way more balsamic, less woody.

Sillage is a bit strong for me, as I prefer skin scents. The sweetness of this perfume is very present, making it more suitable for the colder months.

EDIT: after some wears, I found the scent more and more cloying. It appears I have developed a serious aversion to the Tolu balm note.

Givenchy (signature) Gentleman
So what can i say about this one? I dont actualy have a signature scent, but if i had, it would be this one. The iris, mixed with the patchouli and the vanille its so, so good. If you like this 3 notes you will love this scent. Floral...sweet...earthy...this smells divine. One of the best designers on the market. This one, dior homme intense and valentino uomo intense are the three kings of sweet iris fragrances. Fenomenal stuff!
FabianO
Gourmand patchouli-vanilla-cuddly gentleman, little innovative, but solid craftsmanship
I grew up with the 1974 original scent, which has absolutely nothing in common with this one except the name. The old one a somewhat rough, herbal, leathery patchouli whip with testicles, big as tennis balls, this newcomer rather Mister Kuschel-Bieber.

I perceive me among all the stuck together appearances of the last decade somewhere in the quality range "mediocre". Benchmarks for good gourmands are still for me things like "L'Instant Guerlain EdP" or "Dior Homme", which I would attest a remarkable innovation, an absolute balance and a timeless elegance.

After that, there was simply too much jumping on already rolling trains and pacing after them. Why the old "gentleman" is not simply renewed in the green patchouli sense without attacking the core character is a mystery to me; half the world of fragrances is already gourmand.

But well, it is solidly successful here, patchouli is a bit smoky-caramel, balsamic, but on the whole, due to the vanilla, also a bit rich in the basic sweetness. On the whole, however, it is relatively well-balanced, harmonious, and with a careful dosage also cuddly in the best winter sense. For me absolutely not a candidate to buy, but made decently by hand.

JMWeedJMWeed 4 months ago
A black pepper sweet “play dough” scent. Not in a bad way, great performance, very good cost ratio. Powdery but very masculine, best in line
MickoMicko 5 months ago
Tolu balm is dominate note. Classic designer performance. Not bad for the office
SpiffSpiff 7 months ago
Lovely dark, creamy, vanillic iris with resinous nuances. Dense and long lasting, better suited to cold weather or night use.
ScentwitchScentwitch 8 months ago
The black pepper is prominent in the beginning. Hubby didn’t enjoy it.
Nik604Nik604 11 months ago
3.5
I hardly stand this, smells vulgar, mega sweet and fat artificial....typical modern ethyl maltol soup.
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 1 year ago
I would describe it as Valentino Uomo Intense with some extra dark vanilla. Balsamic, warm and powdery
AdamStraightAdamStraight 1 year ago
Great chocolaty, iris Gourmand fragrance. Great performance. Compliment getter
GreMuserGreMuser 2 years ago
The Italians will understand: it smells the same as the discount Meloncello. You do the maths...
BertolucciKBertolucciK 2 years ago
A bit powdery, lipsticky, balsamic and spicy. A warm and dark scent beautifully blended. For distinguished gentlemen.
KimJongKimJong 2 years ago
EDP is also really good. But it's a shame that Original Gentleman's nice old-school leather, which I liked, is gone.

by Vrabec
by Oudin
by Jens73
by Jens73

Popular by Givenchy

Gentleman Givenchy Réserve Privée by Givenchy L'Interdit (2021) (Eau de Parfum Rouge) by Givenchy Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2020) (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Givenchy Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Vetyver by Givenchy Givenchy III (2007) by Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy Cologne by Givenchy