Gentleman Givenchy (2018)Eau de Parfum

Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy

Top 63 in Men's Perfume
Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Givenchy for men and was released in 2018. The scent is powdery-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBlack pepper, Lavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris pallida, Tolu balm
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Black vanilla

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 29.05.2020.

The face of the advertising campaign is British actor Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

CanTheManOri
Powdery beautiful and yet masculine
As the name of the perfume suggests, this is a fragrance for the modern gentleman Full of empathy and politeness he is a man with his quirks and edges that are not directly visible.
To the smell one can say that it is a powdery and sweet smell which is not too heavy but slightly sweet with a lot of powder.
I like this pureness and probably also many others, but whoever is looking for pure "masculinity" with wood, pepper and earth will not find it here.
But for those who don't want to imitate clichés but want to do their own thing, this fragrance is just the right thing.
DarkWinterCS
Wrapped in the fluffy blanket for Christmas
The title really hits the mark, because the fragrance easily scores 10 points in the category "soft and fluffy".
The first thought during testing came quickly. It's like Valentino Uomo Intense. Granted, the comparison is not particularly difficult. After some time on the skin, they still have slight differences. While the Valentino has vanilla and a more noticeable sweetness after a while, the Gentino has a more delicate sweetness and some balsamic components.

Like Valentino, the fragrance is defined by its powdery iris and the soft combination with vanilla. These are the notes that accompany you from head to base. In the background, delicate pepper and lavender round off the whole thing, so that an extremely soft but also elegant essence of our nose is presented.
Like Valentino, the fragrance is not so masculine. Because, you can even wear it as a woman with a healthy self-confidence. But you should be aware that the fragrance is very potent and generates a lot of attention. Although he comes along elegantly, it's more like a wink with a fence post.

In any case, it remains a fragrance that you should have tested in winter (if you don't know the Valentino yet).
Everything done right
I like the Givenchy fragrance series and now I'm going to describe the gentleman of fragrances badly.
Why he's a real gentleman?! Let me try to explain To the scent itself, he's not an unknown. You're spoilt for choice. He's in the Powdery-Sweet category. The most famous in the series is the Dior. But also Valentino and Zara are almost equally well positioned. Each time with small differences. It's funny why they don't open a barrel here like they do with all the Aventus Dupes when a fragrance comes on the market that is similar to a well-known perfect scent. Personally, I don't mind it at all. Even if a 1000 Aventus clone is on the market. Competition stimulates business.

But why this fragrance is a true gentleman comes now.
The scent pyramid is given a greater intensity in relation to his version in "Eau de Toilette".
It begins with a spicy chord consisting exclusively of black pepper.
His heart then surprises us with its flowery influence of the iris. Not quite as strong and obtrusive as the other two intensive powders. Very well perceptible but not penetrating. Finally, in the background, which shows us the most seductive and masculine facet, vanilla pod and patchouli are added. Also here not too penetrating but perfectly coordinated. Not too sweet vanilla which I then also no longer like It is therefore a perfect balance for nocturnal moments, special occasions or a romantic evening with a partner.
Its durability is enormous. Still perceptible after 12 hours. It makes me feel so safe. I use it when I want to be sure that I still want to smell good over a longer period of time. The Sillage is great too. Not too intrusive and not too harmless. Little story on the side: I was a mudmaster last year. At home I put three sprayers on my sports shirt. After hours of muddy fighting I passed a small group of women and they called me directly after me loudly that I smell damn good. That was really funny because I didn't even notice him anymore. So much for stamina
I like the bottle very much. Straight lines with curved corners and completely black glass.

Among the powdery-sweet scents I find him a true gentleman. Since it is, I think, the most perfectly tuned. Not too crass and pushy but still very perceptible and a complimentary godsend. For young and old and wearable for every occasion
The Gentle Tender One
The first thing you can perceive is a liberating, intense and powerful, lovely Mediterranean note, which has a fine balanced herbaceous nuance resonating in the background and is due to the lavender.

At the same time, the lavender is enveloped by a very beautiful aromatic, subtly spicy note of pepper, which ensures that the fragrance gets something very soft and smooth and is also responsible for the wonderfully unobtrusive masculine aura and I suspected white pepper instead of black pepper here.

Already in the first few minutes, the actual theme of the fragrance can be subliminally guessed that a little later it will reveal itself completely.

A very bright, creamy and slightly powdery note can now be perceived, which carries a very fine, crystal-clear, soapy touch in the background and gives the fragrance a gentle but very pleasant coolness and comes from the pale iris.

The iris is surrounded by an incredibly dense, soft, and sweetish balsamic note of Tolu balsam, with a very delicate crème brulée fragrance, which gives the fragrance a very pleasant, discreetly buttery, supple, tender heaviness - and all this without the fragrance losing its masculinity.

In the last 4 hours, the fragrance properties of Tolublsam make a very small but noteworthy change of direction in very viscous steps.

Givenchy Gentleman maintains the density of the Tolu balsam, but becomes smoother, creamier and slightly sweetish, to be completed by subtle earthy tones that derive from the interplay of black vanilla and Indian patchouli.

In total the fragrance lasts 9 hours on my skin
In the first 2 hours the Sillage is designed in such a way that you can be perceived very clearly on a whole arm length and settles down to a very clearly perceptible half arm length for 2 hours, before it is reduced in quiet steps until the fragrance has died down.

I would like to express my sincere thanks to our perfume "Shuqush" for the bottling.
Sweet Powder Part 1 of 4: Gentleman Givenchy
It started with me, as probably with many others, with Dior Homme Intense. Around 2011, I discovered him, just started my design studies, and was able to get really enthusiastic about him because of his unusual, almost creative fragrance nuances. Sweet powder with lipstick became one of my favorite DNAs and I actually own many of the scents that some received as interchangeable: Dior Homme Intense, Prada L'Homme Intense, Valentino Uomo Intense, to name the most famous. And this one too.

Almost 8 years after the big bang DHI I get in touch with Gentleman Givenchy for the first time. At the airport on the way to the south, I take the great bottle in my hand, spray it on my wrist without knowing what kind of scent it was, but then knew immediately that I must have it. And although it went to the south, the scent didn't really fit, I packed it. It begins a little spicy at first, the powder needs a few seconds to join it. As soon as the fragrance has settled, a cloud of powdery-sweet elegance surrounds you. Yes, of course there are intersections to DHI here, even very strong ones. While the Dior colleague is a bit more fruity, sometimes even slightly citric, the Givenchy is darker and more mystical. Over time, creamy, slightly balsamic notes are added, the vanilla balances the patchouli well, the iris provides permanent powder, which is why you are always in a triangle of powder, sweetness and darkness. The shelf life and Sillage are good to very good.

Now one could still discuss how the fragrance is to be used. Today I know that DHI was actually used "wrong" by me at that time. To the morning lecture in the lecture hall in T-shirt and jeans and in May - that doesn't really fit. Like the DHI, the gentleman Givenchy has a noble aura that makes him perfect for special occasions, perhaps in a suit. In my opinion, these kinds of fragrances do not necessarily need this. I personally like to wear the darker powder with my T-shirt and leather jacket. Or if I feel like it.

Does a gentleman Givenchy still need to be in the collection if you already have another powder scent? No, unless you're, like me, a fan of this scent DNA. All four are different, even if only in nuances, and have their raison d'être:

Dior Homme Intense - the lipstick
Prada L'Homme Intense - the sweetest
Valentino Uomo Intense - the calmest
Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy - the darkest

I'm glad to have all four.

Adhead
A hammer or the hammer, that is the question here!
Ladies and Gentlemen, this is my first comment.
(Please have mercy on the TF tear)..

In search of an autumn winter scent that should accompany me in the cold days I tested the Gentleman and Noir Extreme.
In a Douglas around the corner I found the potential victims of my newly formed luxury need.

For me, fragrances are more important in the first 3 hours than shelf life. Both are Power Houses. The gentleman wasn't very sweet after the Noir Extrem, but Noir Extrem got on my nerves too much (Too sweet scents or Gourmandig sweetness are not my case, but I hate chocolate as well). That's why I washed it off.

Continue in text-

Since I was a little irritated about the gentleman, I began to research.

Unfortunately I don't know DHI yet and I don't want to wear it until it's less people.
i only tried Valentino Uomo Intense.
I find the parallels to VUI.

However, I see the fragrance more independently than just a copy or dupe or anything else of VUI.
I find Gentleman in the early 20s years I'm in as the perfect suit companion for autumn!
It is so sweet but still so serious (not serious serious, but determinedly serious, appropriately serious...) thanks to the really discreetly perfectly detailed freshness in the first hour and a half. Afterwards the fragrance is refined to a warm vanilla coat and powdered, which clings so beautifully to you as
Caramel in a piece of chocolate.
Such a beautiful vanilla I smelled so far only rarely - exactly my taste.

a little pepper is added to say goodbye (discreet but perceptible), which gives the fragrance the final crowning masculinity.
It's an incredibly long-lasting fragrance that can compete with some of Rasasi's fragrances in terms of shelf life.

a toast to Nathalie Lorson...
Gentleman by Givenchy, You like sweet heavy fragrances, but want to come fresh, are young or want to feel young ?
This is your case/winter scent...
The cuddly gentleman
The Gentleman Givenchy I had bought in the summer in the Duty - Freeshop in the Airport Amsterdam, without knowledge of him, or the original "Gentleman Givenchy", the EDT which, as I now know, smells completely different. I think it's a pity that a whole series of them, plus the "Gentleman only" series, is unimaginative and inappropriate. Especially because they smell so different. Not only happens with Givenchy ;)

Back to the airport.
Unfortunately I underestimated the Sillage of this EDP - much to the chagrin of my neighbours in the plane. Because the perfume doesn't start out like a gentleman with a spicy sweet explosion that no one can escape. It only becomes pleasant after about 30 minutes, when the waves smooth and the scents interlock perfectly. Vanilla, lavender and patchouli can only be guessed at individually, but form an incredibly soft, cuddly composition. The pepper gives the whole pepp and something masculine. But what fascinates me most is the sweetness that this fragrance radiates.
I do not perceive them sweetly in the actual sense - and thus not intrusively -. Here I smell much more something that reminds me of the smell of powdery dextrose.
The whole thing creates a cuddly - passionate - and serious fragrance at the same time. These are all characteristics that actually contradict each other and co-exist here so ingeniously next to each other.
And that's the scent it stays with. A spectacular course is therefore missing.
The durability of the perfume I find corresponding to an EDP - it lasts throughout the day, but can also be washed off the next morning if you want to wear something else.
Seasonally I see the scent in autumn and winter. The fragrance gives you the warmth you long for in the cold months, just like the spicy sweetness you know from Christmas markets.
And here one already notices where the gentleman belongs: in relaxed, quiet places, in a cosy evening. For a date you have my recommendation, it is generally well received. He didn't lose anything at the office for that.
I am happy to be able to wear it more often now.

And guys, yes you can't see the level, but... it's the same with a lot of other perfumes.
Do his name credit
A scent to let an evening end comfortably by the fireplace in the moderate light of the dwindling embers or to go out for a meal with a friend. Very pleasant vanilla note, sweet and yet not feminine due to the spiciness of pepper. Seductive and yet courteous - a real gentleman. The fragrance has an enormous H/S, but is never penetrating or disturbing in its areas of application. The gentleman just likes to be smelled.

Occasions: A leisure scent for going out or casual occasions. No office/business fragrance.

One of my first perfumes and I still like to wear it. For every day it is a bit too special for me and as described above it doesn't fit for every occasion. But I am always happy when the occasion allows me to wear this fragrance. Recommended for everyone who is looking for a male vanilla fragrance!
Chevalier
I don't think about restricting myself just because people don't accept that I'm doing something different. Dolly Parton
Unfortunately, the Eau Sauvage perfume is no longer available in its original form, it had to be castrated because of its mass taste, with the argument of better recognizability.
The Prada l`homme intense, which until a year ago was also a candidate of the stronger variety, was also truncated by Puig, or the employee to be carried out had made a big mistake when entering the bottling data. The durability of the current patch is many times weaker than before.
It looks like a feel-good SUV, which has two tailpipes at the rear and yet it is not clear who or whom this should impress.
Unfortunately, there are more and more of these kinds of perfumes, much packaging but less longevity.
Some new publications can be tried and after five minutes you don't really know where you sprayed it. All this at very proud prices.
I praise the upper segment of a mass manufacturer like LVHM with its large portfolio.
One finds here almost everything, from the Sauvage which is divided into Hater and proponent, or then this Givenchy which is performing the last ride of the Dior Homme intense am.
Actually, this ingenious Always-Goer came to the market too late. He is pretty close to Homme intense on the far side, but much harder, more dominant and self-confident. The sweetness almost goes down with the pepper which drowned out everything very loud in the beginning. Either you like this black Tonanageber or you leave it with quite a reluctance.
In between nothing works here, but the ingredients have been chosen to be strong and oversized.
After a while he seems more reconciled with the iris, but he never quite gets rid of the hardness.
Vanilla was probably chosen at the end, so that you can drive the extreme character a bit into the mildness.
Is that good or what do you want to think about it?

Pretty much, if not extremely much.
Such a self-confident and independent character has not been created for a long time. Here the name Parfum is true, he is probably one of the only ones who deserves this name.
No one can hold out that long, 11 hours later he is still clearly recognizable.
It's like the Bentley intense. A rogue who thinks evil. Here are the two same names with Nathalie Lorson and the manufacturer Firmenich from Geneva behind it.
Here you can see how small the world of scents is....
In the past it was products like Fahrenheit or Joop homme that drew the wearer's attention to their scent for more than a day. Today it is Nathalie Lorson's products that have the courage to starch.
As daily companion into the office with 14 square meters and 8 employees not the suitable sympathy carrier.
As a companion for people who do not want to restrict themselves, absolutely recommended.
Hopefully there will be such dominance clubs for a long time to come, which not every intolerant do-gooder likes.

But until we no longer receive such products, we should bow before this perfume art, and celebrate this stroke of genius, enjoy and above all always apply enough.

Balsámic iris/vanilla
This jewel is a balsámic and spicy iris/vanilla bomb. It mix perfectly the delicacy of iris, with the sweetness of vanilla, the resinous heart of tolu balm and the spicy touch of peper over a basement of patchouli which gives a Woody hint to this set. Very similar to vanilla iris by ormonde Jane, even better and very much cheaper. This is for me one of the best perfumes in the last years and probably one of the most underrated. The longevity is very good and the projection as Well. My second favourite iris scent just under Dior homme intense. They share the sweet iris heart, but where the Dior one is more woody-floral-powdery, this one is more spicy-balsamic-creamy. I like this perfume from givenchy more than valentino uomo intense, other of muy favourite iris based scents, the thrid one, more leathery in this case.

KimJongKimJong 135 days ago
EDP is also really good. But it's a shame that Original Gentleman's nice old-school leather, which I liked, is gone.
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 11 months ago
One of the most underrated perfumes in the last years. Close to Dior homme but more creamy-balsamic-spicy instead of floral-woody-powdery
DPArtistDPArtist 17 months ago
I've never been a fan of iris scents but this dark beauty has left me confused! It's just so alluring, like a femme fatale, naughty but nice
Carlitos01Carlitos01 18 months ago
After years of praising the first Gentleman and 1 year ignoring the 2017 EDT, I confess that this 2018 EDP astonished me. Great fragrance!
Jazzy76Jazzy76 20 months ago
As black as its bottle: peppery and balsamic with a good sillage. A magnetic scent !I love it

by Vrabec
by WitDeBois
by Emko47
by Emko47

Popular Givenchy

Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Vetyver by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (2007) by Givenchy Ambre Tigré by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Xeryus (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Xeryus Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Eau de Vetyver by Givenchy Ange ou Démon Le Secret Edition Riviera / Edition Croisière by Givenchy