Gentleman Givenchy 2018 Eau de Parfum

Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy
Top 64 in Men's Perfume
Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Givenchy for men and was released in 2018. The scent is powdery-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBlack pepperBlack pepper
LavenderLavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesTolu balmTolu balm
Iris pallidaIris pallida
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouliPatchouli
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 23.09.2021.

The face of the advertising campaign is British actor Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

RaoulDuke
The epitome of the grown man
Take a man who no longer wants to be young and wild, and combine this with the will to escape adolescence and you have the prototype of Givenchy Gentleman Eau de Parfum carrier.

For me, the simmvolle further development of the Dior Homme Intense DNA. By the lavender in advance one gives the fragrance a touch less dryness of the powdery iris and so wraps this in a modern robe. For me, more wearable in the office than Dior Homme, perhaps a counterpart to L'Homme by Prada for the colder days. Equally, of course, to evening wear and more upscale occasions wearable.

Personally, I did not like the slightly alcoholic note at the beginning immediately, however, this evaporates, you know the opening sometime but to appreciate. Simply a wonderful fragrance at an affordable price with great durability.
Manuel81
Dior homme intense + Prada Black =..
... Gyvenchi Gentleman... Sounds interesting to you?.. In a nutshell, yes... It is.
Unfortunately, remains on the skin after 3 hours with me nothing but vanilla.
On clothing, the whole thing looks different... And since it is anyway an autumn / winter fragrance... So also no problem.
Regarding sillage almost comparable with DHI.... regarding durability, easy 8 hours... On clothing several days
PDBrnr
Some fragrances need a little more time
I'm the kind of person who, before buying something, spends hours - in this case, months - researching what would be the best choice. When my interest in smelling good was sparked, I started visiting perfumeries several times a week to try out as many as my nose would allow. I watched Youtube videos, read reviews, and Parfumo became by far my most visited website.

And so, little by little, my arsenal of fragrances emerged, from summer freshies to the extravagance from Kilian (Intoxicated). A total of 7 perfumes are now in my closet. Every imaginable scenario, location, occasion and the devil knows what, I have covered in the best possible way. Except....

I didn't really have an everyday alternative for the colder months. Layton, yes, I already had in my closet.... and Intoxicated too but is it suitable for everyday use? I answered that for me personally with a "rather no". So it was clear, I need one last perfume to close this small (some would say non-existent) gap. So again I searched meticulously for that one perfect match. And so it happened that at some point I also tested Gentleman EdP and unfortunately I don't remember why but for some reason I didn't like it. Maybe the nose was already too foggy from trying it, maybe it was too rarely mentioned in Youtube videos like "Top 10 winter fragrances". Anyway, I didn't find the right perfume and so I postponed my search until later.

And a few days ago was now this "later", so off to the perfumery and test. Shelf by shelf I first went down and tried to remember what my favorites were, until I stood in front of the Gentlemen and knew that these were not one of them. But I just couldn't remember what they smelled like. I knew from Parfumo that the EdP was in the top 100, so I brought test strips, put the perfume on and what happened I couldn't believe myself. I, who could hardly be more critical and usually has something wrong with every perfume, actually believed to have found the perfect perfume. That can not be. So neat up on my hand and let's see how it turns out. And indeed, I was so thrilled by this lavender, iris, vanilla combo, I couldn't stop smelling it - even involuntarily, since sillage and longevity are really top. At the end of the day it was clear: this will be my addition for the cold season. Whether for work, leisure, as a date fragrance, for going out, game night, at the ski lodge.... i could imagine the fragrance everywhere well.

The scent is not a revolution, nothing extraordinary (the similarity to Uomo Intense is unmistakable to me) but it is perfectly matched for my taste, with the right ingredients. Not quite as make-up iris-y as DHI, not as iris-dominant as Prada l'homme, not as youthful as le male le parfum, not leathery like Uomo Intense (personally, I'm not a lover of leather in fragrances). For me, it combined the best of the perfumes I just mentioned. Thus, my Layton has great competition from now on
The gentle gentleman
I was interested in the name. What is probably hidden behind the gentleman fragrance?

So I got me a sample package of Givenchy and tested him times:

He starts with subtle silage, which seems dry-powdery. Something "lavendelig" angehaucht is the powder also. The opening is too powdery for me. Good thing it becomes more floral with lavender accent within minutes.

After 1 to 2 hours, it has become pleasantly subtly chocolaty. He has developed the well-known "tolu gourmand". He seems to me now pleasant and noble. The silage is still okay. The florality has stepped into the background, works together with the powderiness on me something very "soft-purged" and stale.

This is the smoother and gentler, more adapted Gentleman compared to "Gentlemen Only" or "This is him!" by Zadig & Voltair. There's not that peppery note here that is characteristic of the other two. This one is soft, floral, powdery and gourmand all at once throughout.
A beautiful fragrance for special occasions, especially in the winter months (but quite wearable all year round) to which the Ü40 would like to appear as a particularly serious and gentle gentleman.

For me, however, he is a trace too powdery. Desshalb he will not my gentleman favorite. I prefer here fragrances with more "Pepp" (in the true sense of the word). But it's still one of the very few powdery scents I like.
New winter favourite
I have to admit that at first I was a bit reluctant because freshly sprayed Givenchy Gentleman smells very spicy and tart. A scent I don't like at all.
I am glad that the fragrance is taking a very good course.
Because after about 10 minutes this strong peppery scent fades away and a sweetish powdery iris and a balsamic patchoulin note remains. Later, the tender vanilla also becomes present and rounds off this elegantly pleasant fragrance composition.
Gentleman may be compared to other fragrances like Valentino Uomo Intense or Dior Homme Intense, but I find this one a little more subtle and sophisticated than the two mentioned.
I would even say it has something of Prada L'Homme, only this one is a bit more complex.
Gentleman smells much better to me on clothes than on skin, because the flowery soapy component is reinforced so that you go through the day with a clean feeling.
By the way you don't have to wear a suit to wear this fragrance, it is enough to be dressed a little casually. Gentleman's adapting pretty well.
For me a new favourite for the cold season and something different than those overly spicy winter scents
5.5

Dark vanilla balsam
Well, this is heavy on the balsam/resins. Tolu balm, a sweet vanillic kind of balsam, incredibly warm and dark. Lavender is too faint to really notice in the top. I get some spices now and then, hints of cloves. After the spicy opening it turns into a vanilla balsam that remains forever. A rather straightforward development.

There is a powdery feel at first, which may explain the resemblance to Dior Homme Intense, that some people mentioned. I don't really see much resemblance though. Givenchy Gentleman EdP is milder on the powderiness and way more balsamic, less woody.

Sillage is a bit strong for me, as I prefer skin scents. The sweetness of this perfume is very present, making it more suitable for the colder months.

EDIT: after some wears, I found the scent more and more cloying. It appears I have developed a serious aversion to the Tolu balm note.

Givenchy (signature) Gentleman
So what can i say about this one? I dont actualy have a signature scent, but if i had, it would be this one. The iris, mixed with the patchouli and the vanille its so, so good. If you like this 3 notes you will love this scent. Floral...sweet...earthy...this smells divine. One of the best designers on the market. This one, dior homme intense and valentino uomo intense are the three kings of sweet iris fragrances. Fenomenal stuff!
FabianO
Gourmand patchouli-vanilla-cuddly gentleman, little innovative, but solid craftsmanship
I grew up with the 1974 original scent, which has absolutely nothing in common with this one except the name. The old one a somewhat rough, herbal, leathery patchouli whip with testicles, big as tennis balls, this newcomer rather Mister Kuschel-Bieber.

I perceive me among all the stuck together appearances of the last decade somewhere in the quality range "mediocre". Benchmarks for good gourmands are still for me things like "L'Instant Guerlain EdP" or "Dior Homme", which I would attest a remarkable innovation, an absolute balance and a timeless elegance.

After that, there was simply too much jumping on already rolling trains and pacing after them. Why the old "gentleman" is not simply renewed in the green patchouli sense without attacking the core character is a mystery to me; half the world of fragrances is already gourmand.

But well, it is solidly successful here, patchouli is a bit smoky-caramel, balsamic, but on the whole, due to the vanilla, also a bit rich in the basic sweetness. On the whole, however, it is relatively well-balanced, harmonious, and with a careful dosage also cuddly in the best winter sense. For me absolutely not a candidate to buy, but made decently by hand.
The Gentleman Among Fragrances
My friend, you come in your Armani Black Suit. Your tie fits perfectly, your shirt is white as snow and your shoes are made of finest leather You are a good-looking guy and also very successful, but nevertheless you are and will remain down-to-earth and above all warm hearted. The thing that makes you warm is the pepper. The lavender gives you a pleasant creamy texture that makes people want to snuggle up to you. Patchouli gives you this down-to-earthness despite your success, but it also gives you, together with the dark vanilla, the foundation that makes you what you are, namely your charm All these things make you what you are, a fine, well-dressed friend to lean on.
HenrikBlau
Burnt almonds or the late effects of a catholic childhood
Whenever I passed by the turquoise shop in the city centre in the last weeks I went in and scented both wrists with autumn and winter water. This gentleman also fell into my hands. He made a very sympathetic first impression, so I got a bottling and tried it a few days with him. Here the result.

Flacon
I'm just a bottler, that's why I'm not rated. In the turquoise shop, the bottle made a valuable impression, especially the rather generously proportioning and very rich sounding spray head. The thick heavy bottom and the opaque black glass make it difficult to estimate the fill level
Durability and Sillage
With three sprayers on the neck and nape of the neck, the sillage is neat to powerful after application. Especially in warm surroundings (i.e. indoors) the scent projects long and strongly before it recedes into the close range (but not skin-tight) after 2-3 hours. The durability is very strong. Over 24 hours after spraying on I can still perceive iris, vanilla, balsam, smoke and patch at close range.

Fragrance or fragrance progression
The top note directly inspires me with a lively lavender note, which immediately recedes after a short but strong solo appearance and harmonizes wonderfully softly with dry powdery iris, fresh pepper and a light vanilla sweetness. Soon lavender and pepper weaken somewhat and are replaced by strong smoky-balsamic notes, which dominate the fragrance over the next few hours. This is accompanied by a clear, yet playful-light, almost icing sugar-like, vanilla sweetness. Unfortunately, these two "scents" are a bit too suddenly next to each other for my taste, instead of forming a round whole. This gentleman has corners and edges. Not least due to the appearance of a very distinguished patchouli, the fragrance now becomes increasingly softer, darker, drier and sweeter. Occasionally I think I can still detect remnants of pepper.

Conclusion
In comparison to related iris scents (I only know Valentino Uomo Intense), the incense-powdery-sweet gentleman doesn't look makeup-y or loud and exhilarated to me, but rather noble and serene. Very good-looking, but not directly sexy. A roughneck in a tuxedo.
A little joke at the end:
Those who are looking for a good, very close gourman should in any case apply Givenchy Gentleman edp very generously and then wait 24-36 hours. Remains of powdery iris and smoky-sweet vanilla/benzoin notes then create a first-class chord of still warm, freshly roasted almonds!
Personally, I have a very poor perception of incense and similar notes in perfumes, or rather fade them out very quickly (possibly late effects of a Catholic childhood). Therefore I have enlisted the help of my partner for this comment. After a short time, I am able to enjoy the powdery-sugary roasted almonds :P I want to apply more and more of them. Meanwhile, my partner's eyes are already watering from all the incense or Tolu balsam. A dangerous scent! br />

Nik604Nik604 3 months ago
3.5
I hardly stand this, smells vulgar, mega sweet and fat artificial....typical modern ethyl maltol soup.
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 5 months ago
I would describe it as Valentino Uomo Intense with some extra dark vanilla. Balsamic, warm and powdery
AdamStraightAdamStraight 8 months ago
Great chocolaty, iris Gourmand fragrance. Great performance. Compliment getter
GreMuserGreMuser 10 months ago
The Italians will understand: it smells the same as the discount Meloncello. You do the maths...
BertolucciKBertolucciK 1 year ago
A bit powdery, lipsticky, balsamic and spicy. A warm and dark scent beautifully blended. For distinguished gentlemen.
KimJongKimJong 2 years ago
EDP is also really good. But it's a shame that Original Gentleman's nice old-school leather, which I liked, is gone.
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 2 years ago
One of the most underrated perfumes in the last years. Close to Dior homme but more creamy-balsamic-spicy instead of floral-woody-powdery
DPArtistDPArtist 3 years ago
I've never been a fan of iris scents but this dark beauty has left me confused! It's just so alluring, like a femme fatale, naughty but nice
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
After years of praising the first Gentleman and 1 year ignoring the 2017 EDT, I confess that this 2018 EDP astonished me. Great fragrance!
Jazzy76Jazzy76 3 years ago
As black as its bottle: peppery and balsamic with a good sillage. A magnetic scent !I love it

by Vrabec
by WitDeBois
by Jens73
by Jens73

Popular Givenchy

Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Vetyver by Givenchy L'Interdit (2020) (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2021) (Eau de Parfum Rouge) by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (2007) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Xeryus (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy Cologne by Givenchy