Gentleman Givenchy (2018) Eau de Parfum

Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy

Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) is a new perfume by Givenchy for men and was released in 2018. The scent is powdery-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBlack pepper, Lavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesDalmatian iris, Tolu balm
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Black vanilla

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 20.10.2019

The face of the advertising campaign is British actor Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

8.0 10.0 10.0 9.5/10

Chevalier
I don't think about restricting myself just because people don't accept that I'm doing something different. Dolly Parton
Unfortunately, the Eau Sauvage perfume is no longer available in its original form, it had to be castrated because of its mass taste, with the argument of better recognizability.
The Prada l`homme intense, which until a year ago was also a candidate of the stronger variety, was also truncated by Puig, or the employee to be carried out had made a big mistake when entering the bottling data. The durability of the current patch is many times weaker than before.
It looks like a feel-good SUV, which has two tailpipes at the rear and yet it is not clear who or whom this should impress.
Unfortunately, there are more and more of these kinds of perfumes, much packaging but less longevity.
Some new publications can be tried and after five minutes you don't really know where you sprayed it. All this at very proud prices.
I praise the upper segment of a mass manufacturer like LVHM with its large portfolio.
One finds here almost everything, from the Sauvage which is divided into Hater and proponent, or then this Givenchy which is performing the last ride of the Dior Homme intense am.
Actually, this ingenious Always-Goer came to the market too late. He is pretty close to Homme intense on the far side, but much harder, more dominant and self-confident. The sweetness almost goes down with the pepper which drowned out everything very loud in the beginning. Either you like this black Tonanageber or you leave it with quite a reluctance.
In between nothing works here, but the ingredients have been chosen to be strong and oversized.
After a while he seems more reconciled with the iris, but he never quite gets rid of the hardness.
Vanilla was probably chosen at the end, so that you can drive the extreme character a bit into the mildness.
Is that good or what do you want to think about it?

Pretty much, if not extremely much.
Such a self-confident and independent character has not been created for a long time. Here the name Parfum is true, he is probably one of the only ones who deserves this name.
No one can hold out that long, 11 hours later he is still clearly recognizable.
It's like the Bentley intense. A rogue who thinks evil. Here are the two same names with Nathalie Lorson and the manufacturer Firmenich from Geneva behind it.
Here you can see how small the world of scents is....
In the past it was products like Fahrenheit or Joop homme that drew the wearer's attention to their scent for more than a day. Today it is Nathalie Lorson's products that have the courage to starch.
As daily companion into the office with 14 square meters and 8 employees not the suitable sympathy carrier.
As a companion for people who do not want to restrict themselves, absolutely recommended.
Hopefully there will be such dominance clubs for a long time to come, which not every intolerant do-gooder likes.

But until we no longer receive such products, we should bow before this perfume art, and celebrate this stroke of genius, enjoy and above all always apply enough.

10.0 8.0 9.0 9.5/10

Balsámic iris/vanilla
This jewel is a balsámic and spicy iris/vanilla bomb. It mix perfectly the delicacy of iris, with the sweetness of vanilla, the resinous heart of tolu balm and the spicy touch of peper over a basement of patchouli which gives a Woody hint to this set. Very similar to vanilla iris by ormonde Jane, even better and very much cheaper. This is for me one of the best perfumes in the last years and probably one of the most underrated. The longevity is very good and the projection as Well. My second favourite iris scent just under Dior homme intense. They share the sweet iris heart, but where the Dior one is more woody-floral-powdery, this one is more spicy-balsamic-creamy. I like this perfume from givenchy more than valentino uomo intense, other of muy favourite iris based scents, the thrid one, more leathery in this case.
9.0 8.0 9.0 9.5/10

It's for us
Many people lack their own expressive personality. Without conspicuous clothing and behaviour, as well as a 'loud' smell, they are afraid not to be noticed.
For these people, the 'gentleman' is nothing.

The wearer of this fragrance has a well developed feeling for his own value, he does not need to vie for confirmation and attention. (Sounds almost like in advertising, but I can't express it better.)

The 'Gentleman' brings a light peppery note to his performance, which is accompanied by a light, exhilarating lavender note. Here it is cleverly dosed enough to immediately reject the sensation of a 'Barber shop fragrance'. The pepper is gently used, it does not sting in the nose.

Behind these notes the iris comes into play and tries to add a little powder to the pepper. A slightly chocolaty, balsamic note, but the iris immediately takes a little strength and pulls the fragrance in a creamy direction.

Patchouli and vanilla round off this fragrance towards the end. The Patchouli forms a well used duo with the vanilla. Vanilla never gains the strength to take over this gentleman. It is listed as 'Black Vanilla' in the fragrances. Perhaps this is to be understood as a hint that here a rather 'unsweet' variant of this fragrance is to be expected.

After reaching its final orbit, a dry vanilla fragrance with a light peppery note has developed. Iris and lavender give it a floral-powdery touch, but remain beautiful in the background. The fragrance does not look like sprayed on, but like creamed in.

The scent is perceptible for a very long time, but is more in the area close to the body.

The term 'gentleman' is well chosen. A strong but discreet fragrance that is aware of it, but does not have to communicate it to everyone. Who may come into its proximity, is fascinated.
8.0 8.0 9.0/10

Norleans
Hello my name is Norleans and I'm a perfume addict!
Recently at my first meeting of the Anonymous Parfumabhängigen (APa) in Hamburg at the Fougère-Stieg 1872 in Hamburg-Schnüffelbüttel, I realized once again how much my addiction affects my Riechempfinden. There was the good gentleman Givenchy.
as an addiction example
Fun by side: I'm slowly beginning to like fragrances that would never occur to me through the mere description of the fragrance, through diligent reading of statements and comments and the selected following of my favorite perfumes, I come across fragrances in some places that would otherwise have remained hidden from me forever.
That's what happened to Gentleman Givenchy. "Powdery-sweet"! Never! Never! - Well, unfortunately, I do. At least in this absolutely ingenious combination of Givenchy.
I hardly notice the powdery, the sweetness has a light menthole/etheric note up to the heart note, which makes the fragrance appear almost fresh (my absolute favourite). From the Hernote onwards, it resonates with so much deliciousness that it almost knocks me down, in a positive sense. Even if this is not the scent for a heavy metal band, I would like to compare the scent with pieces of the band "Monstermagnet". They record songs with such power that they make you jump out of your mountain pines. It seems to me as if drölfzig soundtracks are only used for the guitars, although one would also find the piece beautiful with a guitar. But with even more guitars, it's just still great..., uh, nicer.
Even though I can't put it into words with Givenchy's gentleman: He's a bit over it in the most positive sense- I love it.

Thanks for reading

Iris/Vanilla Bomb
SOTD: Givenchy Gentleman Eau de Parfum 2018: As of 01/14/19

My take on this fragrance it has the similar DNA of Valentino Uomo Intense, but more tone down and more versatile in my opinion than VUI (Valentino Uomo Intense) for more in the fall/winter. It is a gorgeous scent I scent the Iris or Orris, Tolu Baslam and Vanilla from the opening through the dry down,with the hint of the Tonka bean, cinnamon and lavender really well balanced and blended gorgeously. It projects 3-4 hrs and is beastly on my skin for longevity it lasted on my skin/skin scent around between 12+ hrs but it still lingered around 15+ hr mark. Is a must have if you don't have DHI or VUI.

Rating

Scent: 9/10
Presentation/Design: 8.5/10
Value: 7/10
Longevity/Performance: 9/10: Lasted on my skin/skin scent around between 12+ hrs, was still lingering on my skin on the 15+ hr mark
Overall: 9/10
9.0 8.0 9.0 9.5/10

Carlitos01
Which one do you prefer? Gentleman or Gentleman?
1994 versus 2018
Givenchy is a enigmatic perfume house. There is no such thing as a bad Givenchy, but some are kind of so so, and some others are true masterpieces. Some are elegant and light weight, and some others are real scent bombs.This dissertation may lead us to an obvious question that I have seen being argued passionately more than once:
- Which is the best Givenchy masculine fragrance to date? .... and for a vast portion of the fragrance comunity that question is equivalent to "which version of Givenchy Gentleman do you like the best?"
I guess the opinions may be divided between those two main streams, one from 1994 and the other from 2018. Some people will choose "Gentleman" and some others will prefer "Gentleman". If you ask me, I may have to ponderate it for a while, but probably I opine it to be "Gentleman". I also would place "Gentleman" in the second place. It's really a gentleman trivia.
Whatever is your opinion, my opinion or anyone's opinion, almost everybody agrees that "Gentleman" and "Gentleman" are two very well designed fragrances. Both of them have strong "personalities", are very aromatic, quite alluring, with near "beastmode"performance, with a fantastic blending, and a simple but elegant presentation. And their similarities end about there.
In between a third Gentleman has been edited (EDT 2017) but it seems to be quite forgetable when compared with the other two.

2018
Olivier Cresp and Nathalie Lorson are far from being fragrance nose rookies. Between the two of them, designer landmarks like Angel, Midnight Poison, Encre Noire and Bentley for Men Intense, were created. Givenchy decided to create a brand new "Gentleman" line instead of bastardizing their icon masterpiece from 1994. And they were clever enough to keep both lines in production or at least available for purchasing. That admirable state of mind had already given benefits when the "Les Parfums Mythiques" series was created.
The 2018 EDP has probably generated enough quorum to be considered the best designer fragrance from 2018. We, amateur fragrance lovers, tend to create anchors to reference a new perfume design, and even in the very same day of the fragrance presentation, happened the unavoidable comments of it being similar to Dior Homme Intense or to Valentino Uomo Intense. I must admit for myself that Gentleman EDP 2018 is quite intense but follows a different path of those two ilustre predecessors and competitors.
The notes listed in Parfumo are almost the same as those published at www.givenchybeauty.com; however if you look at the official ingredients list, you may conclude that other notes are used as well to compose this symphony. Those notes are at least light citrus (bergamot) at the top, moderate to heavy cinnamon and moderate cloves in the heart together with benzoin and tonka in the base. Limonene, citronellol, cinnamate, cinnamal, benzyl benzoate and coumarin are ingredients that do induce some of those "added notes".
Givenchy classifies this Eau de Parfum as a woody-floral Oriental.
Gentleman 2018 opens with a spicy-floral accord of lively pepper with the gentleness of aromatic lavender and a touch of bergamot freshness.
Contrasting notes battle in a floral heart. I thank god this perfume not having a very lipsticky iris, although this note makes the fragrance follow the actual trend for distinguished designs. So iris is blended with warm balsamic and ambery tolu balm, powdery violet scented orris, fragrant sweet cloves and a sesuous bittersweet cinnamon, giving to the fragrance a masculine pitch feeling.
The base blends a woody earthy patchouli with the sexy gloomy sweetness of black vanilla, some hints of sweet resinous vanilic benzoin and the bittersweet almond facet of coumarin (tonka).
The drydown shows some resinous spicy hints, but consists mainly of warm sweet cinnamon and a still dark and masculine vanilla.

As a summary I would say that the House of Givenchy presents us a very good perfume with this 2018 EDP edition. It leads us to forget the 2017 EDT flop. Undoubtedly it must be considered a sweet fragrance but without any gold lingots or handgrenades complexes. I also judge it to follow a different path from Dior Homme Intense and Valentino Homme Intense. Some other comparisons with fragrances like a few Prada juices or Zara 9.0 just does not make any scense in my opinion.
Givenchy declares Gentleman EDP 2018 as an Oriental fragrance and with an explosive signature capability. I tend to agree but I will only give a definite opinion after a math analysis.
_________________________________________________________________________________________
Scent opening...........8.75 (very good peppered lavanda accord)
Scent Dry Down........10.0 (Excellent dark vanilla, superior earthy/resinous/sweet hints)
Longevity (h) ..............8.5 (up to 9 hours with 2 sprays)
Sillage (ft)....................8.0 (5 ft with 2.5 h of projection)
Versatility....................8.0 (Above average; avoid any tipe of hot weather )
Usability......................8.5 (To intense/sweet for the office; avoid gym and beach)
Compliments..............9.0 (A compliment magnet, although not the market best)
Uniqueness.................9.0 (Some vibes in common with other upscale fragrances)
Quality........................10.0 (high ingredients quality, excelent cap & sprayer, heavy bottle)
Presentation...............9.0 (a matter of opinion)
Price.............................7.0 ($ 53 plus taxes for 100 ml)
- Average:................8.7/10.0
between 7 and 8 => above average;
between 8 and 9 => recommended;
equal or bigger than 9 => don't miss it;

Opinion on this alluring Gentleman:
Good presentation, very good overall scent, pleasing a lot of people! Above average performance. Pricing still a bit expensive. During 2019 the on line price will come down to the actual level of Gentleman 1994.
Recommended? I suggest you to try it before purchasing it.
Blind buy worthy? Yes if you feel confortable with its type of scent and fits your budget.

Music: Gentleman - "Superior"
8.0 6.0 8.0 10.0/10

I bow down
I'm not a writer, that's in advance, but since you can't seem to criticize without writing something yourself, I'll try it sometime.
I have great respect for the great writers here, who always put a lot of effort into it and I like to be inspired by them. This makes me critical if someone sells only one sentence as comment.
So I bow to the great writers here.

Anyway, I'm not, but I found a fragrance here that I like very much and that I can recommend.
He constantly smells like iris vanilla with a pinch of pepper.
I really like that and also the durability is super.
Therefore I bow to this fragrance.

I think it's elegant and I got some good feedback.

Who has time should test him.
7.0 8.0 9.0 9.0/10

THE BOMB
This massive EdP is really hitting, like a bomb. The Sillage is a real knockout. Therefore, dose sparingly - for the sake of the environment !!!!!! But in the right measure a great men fragrance, which certainly not everyone wears (no mainstream). The powdery-pfeffrig-vanillige is certainly not everyone's thing, but mine ;) . In contrast to the EdT rather no summer scent. No, you shouldn't do that to anyone. Can also be worn by a woman who likes powdery-sweet scents. Thumbs up. Big perfume. They can do it, the French can
10.0 7.0 9.0 8.5/10

Schoork
When you understand your job
A few weeks ago I sent my better half off to test some of the scents I had discovered for myself and which I had told and raved about. She then left in my absence and as is usually the case when you enter a perfumery, she soon had the company of a local saleswoman who chased her through the shop to get all the fragrances together.

There were quite a few that she was supposed to test, the vacation was coming up and I wanted to buy a summer scent before. It became the Chanel Allure Edition Blanche, but we also tested some Iris scents and casually mentioned my Holde that your LIeblings scent on me is Dior Homme Intense, the Iris perfume by which every other must be measured
The salesgirl knew how to handle this information very well and then said there was something new to show her...it was the new gentleman from Givenchy.

She also liked it and so immediately the information reached me that there was something new that I had not yet had on the screen. We got also a sample with, so that I could test it completely in peace times a day and what should I say, since yesterday this smell belongs to my small collection.

Today I had it on all day in the office and even now after almost 12h is still easily perceptible on my neck.

The fragrance itself is wonderfully pleasant and starts off spicy, but not sharp, then the powdery iris, the iris, comes, but in a more discreet form, such as in the Dior or Valentino. The perfume is more discreet and reserved in my eyes anyway, maybe one or the other will miss the strong one, but I find it just right here. After some time he really becomes vanilla soft and the iris moves into the background without ever disappearing completely. At the end it gets a little smoky/woody, which is what the Patchouli is.

The fragrance has been great throughout and was indeed well wearable in the office because it has no murder situation and, as mentioned above, takes a back seat. But I could always smell him on me throughout the day. Very pleasant, because I thought at first that this is a scent to go out, but in the suit he certainly looks good, therefore a all-purpose weapon.

The bottle with 50ml lies super in the hand and looks in black with transparent bottom very noble, is massive and does justice to the fragrance. An eye-catcher.

I owe it to my dearest ones and quasi the unknown saleswoman, therefore unknown greetings and good job!
8.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

IrisMann
Dior Homme meets Obsession for Men and hands over a huge bouquet of lavender!

Slowly the companies and the perfumers dare something again. After Cartier's L´Envol and a few other dark and/or powdery new fragrances, Givenchy now also dares a little something.

Gentleman Givenchy Eau de Parfum begins in the top note herb-fresh. No sour fruit pops around your ears but lavender and a light portion of pepper clear your nose. Unusual after all the synthetic-fresh waters of recent years.

The heart note is Dior Homme pure in a bed of lavender. The lipstick chord is there and with the light breeze of the lavender is shifted a little bit into the harsher right and thus gets a more masculine side.

Then the base comes relatively fast and I had to rummage in my memories. The smell seemed so familiar. But no modern Synthi water smells so velvety. And after some thought, I came upon Calvin Klein's obsession for men. Immediately a comparison test was started and really, the basic components of both fragrances smell very similar.

So I mean that here the 2000s meet the 80s in the sun-flooded lavender field.

A great novelty that could have a bit more "Wumms". I can't help it! ;O) I'm just a child of the 80s and 90s.

I hope that more innovative new releases in the medium price segment will come onto the market in the near future.

Just a small warning to the friends of the eau de toilette of the same name. The Eau de Parfum is an independent fragrance and has very little in common with the Eau de Toilette published last year. So it's better to test first. But I think it's worth it.
7.0 6.0 7.0 6.5/10

Hard Core Soft Porn
It reminds me of Dior Homme Intense, Valentino Uomo Intense, some Pradas and several contemporary creations, but it possesses some personalized Givenchy touch. It opens with a strong iris note accompanied by lavender. This iris-lavender is somehow waxy and strange, and I personally prefer Dior Homme Intense iris. Behind is like an ambrette note that gives the composition some niche electrical charge. A pale and fruity Tolu balsam is also present (note: Tolu balsam might be a new Tonka). The base is made of some vanilla fragments I cannot describe easily. It is dark, but not heavy. Present and fleeting at the same time, conjugated with some amber-like aspects

Rating: 6.5/10

More on Scentimentalwords

Emorandeira 92 days ago
One of the most underrated perfumes in the last years. Close to Dior homme but more creamy-balsamic-spicy instead of floral-woody-powdery
10.0
DPArtist 10 months ago
I've never been a fan of iris scents but this dark beauty has left me confused! It's just so alluring, like a femme fatale, naughty but nice+2
Carlitos01 11 months ago
After years of praising the first Gentleman and 1 year ignoring the 2017 EDT, I confess that this 2018 EDP astonished me. Great fragrance!+4
Jazzy76 13 months ago
As black as its bottle: peppery and balsamic with a good sillage. A magnetic scent !I love it+3

by Vrabec
by Vrabec
by Esporium
by Esporium
by Schoork
by Schoork

Popular Givenchy

Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Dahlia Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Xeryus Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Dahlia Divin (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Ange ou Démon Le Secret (Eau de Parfum) / Ange ou Étrange Le Secret by Givenchy Very Irrésistible Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Very Irrésistible Givenchy for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy