Gentleman Givenchy 2018Eau de Parfum

Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy
Top 74 in Men's Perfume
Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Givenchy for men and was released in 2018. The scent is powdery-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBlack pepper, Lavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesTolu balm, Iris pallida
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Vanilla

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 27.03.2021.

The face of the advertising campaign is British actor Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

The gentle gentleman
I was interested in the name. What is probably hidden behind the gentleman fragrance?

So I got me a sample package of Givenchy and tested him times:

He starts with subtle silage, which seems dry-powdery. Something "lavendelig" angehaucht is the powder also. The opening is too powdery for me. Good thing it becomes more floral with lavender accent within minutes.

After 1 to 2 hours, it has become pleasantly subtly chocolaty. He has developed the well-known "tolu gourmand". He seems to me now pleasant and noble. The silage is still okay. The florality has stepped into the background, works together with the powderiness on me something very "soft-purged" and stale.

This is the smoother and gentler, more adapted Gentleman compared to "Gentlemen Only" or "This is him!" by Zadig & Voltair. There's not that peppery note here that is characteristic of the other two. This one is soft, floral, powdery and gourmand all at once throughout.
A beautiful fragrance for special occasions, especially in the winter months (but quite wearable all year round) to which the Ü40 would like to appear as a particularly serious and gentle gentleman.

For me, however, he is a trace too powdery. Desshalb he will not my gentleman favorite. I prefer here fragrances with more "Pepp" (in the true sense of the word). But it's still one of the very few powdery scents I like.
New winter favourite
I have to admit that at first I was a bit reluctant because freshly sprayed Givenchy Gentleman smells very spicy and tart. A scent I don't like at all.
I am glad that the fragrance is taking a very good course.
Because after about 10 minutes this strong peppery scent fades away and a sweetish powdery iris and a balsamic patchoulin note remains. Later, the tender vanilla also becomes present and rounds off this elegantly pleasant fragrance composition.
Gentleman may be compared to other fragrances like Valentino Uomo Intense or Dior Homme Intense, but I find this one a little more subtle and sophisticated than the two mentioned.
I would even say it has something of Prada L'Homme, only this one is a bit more complex.
Gentleman smells much better to me on clothes than on skin, because the flowery soapy component is reinforced so that you go through the day with a clean feeling.
By the way you don't have to wear a suit to wear this fragrance, it is enough to be dressed a little casually. Gentleman's adapting pretty well.
For me a new favourite for the cold season and something different than those overly spicy winter scents
5.5

Dark vanilla balsam
Well, this is heavy on the balsam/resins. Tolu balm, a sweet vanillic kind of balsam, incredibly warm and dark. Lavender is too faint to really notice in the top. I get some spices now and then, hints of cloves. After the spicy opening it turns into a vanilla balsam that remains forever. A rather straightforward development.

There is a powdery feel at first, which may explain the resemblance to Dior Homme Intense, that some people mentioned. I don't really see much resemblance though. Givenchy Gentleman EdP is milder on the powderiness and way more balsamic, less woody.

Sillage is a bit strong for me, as I prefer skin scents. The sweetness of this perfume is very present, making it more suitable for the colder months.

EDIT: after some wears, I found the scent more and more cloying. It appears I have developed a serious aversion to the Tolu balm note.

Givenchy (signature) Gentleman
So what can i say about this one? I dont actualy have a signature scent, but if i had, it would be this one. The iris, mixed with the patchouli and the vanille its so, so good. If you like this 3 notes you will love this scent. Floral...sweet...earthy...this smells divine. One of the best designers on the market. This one, dior homme intense and valentino uomo intense are the three kings of sweet iris fragrances. Fenomenal stuff!
FabianO
Gourmand patchouli-vanilla-cuddly gentleman, little innovative, but solid craftsmanship
I grew up with the 1974 original scent, which has absolutely nothing in common with this one except the name. The old one a somewhat rough, herbal, leathery patchouli whip with testicles, big as tennis balls, this newcomer rather Mister Kuschel-Bieber.

I perceive me among all the stuck together appearances of the last decade somewhere in the quality range "mediocre". Benchmarks for good gourmands are still for me things like "L'Instant Guerlain EdP" or "Dior Homme", which I would attest a remarkable innovation, an absolute balance and a timeless elegance.

After that, there was simply too much jumping on already rolling trains and pacing after them. Why the old "gentleman" is not simply renewed in the green patchouli sense without attacking the core character is a mystery to me; half the world of fragrances is already gourmand.

But well, it is solidly successful here, patchouli is a bit smoky-caramel, balsamic, but on the whole, due to the vanilla, also a bit rich in the basic sweetness. On the whole, however, it is relatively well-balanced, harmonious, and with a careful dosage also cuddly in the best winter sense. For me absolutely not a candidate to buy, but made decently by hand.
The Gentleman Among Fragrances
My friend, you come in your Armani Black Suit. Your tie fits perfectly, your shirt is white as snow and your shoes are made of finest leather You are a good-looking guy and also very successful, but nevertheless you are and will remain down-to-earth and above all warm hearted. The thing that makes you warm is the pepper. The lavender gives you a pleasant creamy texture that makes people want to snuggle up to you. Patchouli gives you this down-to-earthness despite your success, but it also gives you, together with the dark vanilla, the foundation that makes you what you are, namely your charm All these things make you what you are, a fine, well-dressed friend to lean on.
HenrikBlau
Burnt almonds or the late effects of a catholic childhood
Whenever I passed by the turquoise shop in the city centre in the last weeks I went in and scented both wrists with autumn and winter water. This gentleman also fell into my hands. He made a very sympathetic first impression, so I got a bottling and tried it a few days with him. Here the result.

Flacon
I'm just a bottler, that's why I'm not rated. In the turquoise shop, the bottle made a valuable impression, especially the rather generously proportioning and very rich sounding spray head. The thick heavy bottom and the opaque black glass make it difficult to estimate the fill level
Durability and Sillage
With three sprayers on the neck and nape of the neck, the sillage is neat to powerful after application. Especially in warm surroundings (i.e. indoors) the scent projects long and strongly before it recedes into the close range (but not skin-tight) after 2-3 hours. The durability is very strong. Over 24 hours after spraying on I can still perceive iris, vanilla, balsam, smoke and patch at close range.

Fragrance or fragrance progression
The top note directly inspires me with a lively lavender note, which immediately recedes after a short but strong solo appearance and harmonizes wonderfully softly with dry powdery iris, fresh pepper and a light vanilla sweetness. Soon lavender and pepper weaken somewhat and are replaced by strong smoky-balsamic notes, which dominate the fragrance over the next few hours. This is accompanied by a clear, yet playful-light, almost icing sugar-like, vanilla sweetness. Unfortunately, these two "scents" are a bit too suddenly next to each other for my taste, instead of forming a round whole. This gentleman has corners and edges. Not least due to the appearance of a very distinguished patchouli, the fragrance now becomes increasingly softer, darker, drier and sweeter. Occasionally I think I can still detect remnants of pepper.

Conclusion
In comparison to related iris scents (I only know Valentino Uomo Intense), the incense-powdery-sweet gentleman doesn't look makeup-y or loud and exhilarated to me, but rather noble and serene. Very good-looking, but not directly sexy. A roughneck in a tuxedo.
A little joke at the end:
Those who are looking for a good, very close gourman should in any case apply Givenchy Gentleman edp very generously and then wait 24-36 hours. Remains of powdery iris and smoky-sweet vanilla/benzoin notes then create a first-class chord of still warm, freshly roasted almonds!
Personally, I have a very poor perception of incense and similar notes in perfumes, or rather fade them out very quickly (possibly late effects of a Catholic childhood). Therefore I have enlisted the help of my partner for this comment. After a short time, I am able to enjoy the powdery-sugary roasted almonds :P I want to apply more and more of them. Meanwhile, my partner's eyes are already watering from all the incense or Tolu balsam. A dangerous scent! br />

The Darkness is Warm and Sophisticated
Givenchy Gentleman Eau de parfum has really s good smell! To begin with its modern and minimalist black bottle that is so beautiful and elegant. The juice smells, at the beginning, of Iris accompanied by hints of black pepper. At this stage it smells a bit like Prada Homme Intense. As the minutes pass, the iris gives way to cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Then it becomes more pleasantly spicy and masculine with an ever-present undertone of dark vanilla. To my nose it reminds Zadig & Voltaire Just Rock for Him, also created by Nathalie Lorson one year before. To do it short is a highly recommended perfume! Finally an elegant and enveloping black pepper in its deep vanilla heart! Very well blended, right night atmosphere, mature, but modern, sophisticated and on the edge of the so-called niche perfumes ...+++

Rquill67
Best in the Givenchy Gentlemen Line-up!
In my opinion Givenchy's Gentlemen "EDP" is the BEST in the Givenchy Gentlemen line of fragrances. It's warm, spicy and balsamic. It's sweet and powdery (but not too powdery or cloying), and projects well. I would say this is great fragrance for fall and winter (my favourite time of year to wear deep and rich fragrances). I give this a 10 / 10!
DonJuanDeCat
A gentleman does not (usually) think of dirty things!
Hello everyone, welcome to a new fragrance comment from me! Today it's about the men's fragrance Gentleman by Givenchy, a fragrance series that I actually like (I'm counting the Gentlemen Only fragrances here, and yes, read correctly, they're spelled with an "e", so gentlemen, plural... I'm only mentioning it in case you missed it, so you can concentrate on it instead of picking on me as usual... :D). But maybe these scents are not that special for most people. Which might be the reason why only a few people read this comment.

Then why do I even bother? I could try so many other scents, but of course most of my samples are again women's scents and then it is said "The Don never tests men's scents", ... man man man, I have just written two sentences and I am already again only grumbling ... :D

So back to the scent! As I said before, the Gentleman fragrances are not bad at all, of course there are also some weak flankers, as the series already has some fragrances, but I would generally recommend to have a sniff at these fragrances, as they are especially useful as an everyday fragrance, for example for work.

Of course I have to mention that none of these scents are so-called pantydroppers, which immediately attract the attention of women and they get hot on the scent carrier... and already 90% of the readers jumped off... tsss... and they say that I am offensive or have constantly dirty thoughts...

The smell:
The fragrance begins with a mix of pepper, lavender and above all vanilla. While the pepper is spicy, it is softened by the soft vanilla and both fragrances harmonize surprisingly well with each other. In addition you notice the balsamic scents, which make everything even more pleasant, the fragrance even appears slightly creamy.
A little later, the lavender notes increase, making the fragrance seem a little more tart and spicy than it did at the beginning.
Basically, the fragrance stays like this for a very long time, until the spicy notes in the base weaken a little bit and the scent then becomes even more smooth, which is mainly due to the vanilla, which as always lasts the longest.
All in all, a very beautiful fragrance throughout, which one could compare especially with fragrances like Dior Homme.

The Sillage and the durability:
The sillage is good and you are wrapped in a nice scent for some time. The shelf life is also really good with more than ten hours shelf life.

The bottle! The bottle is rectangular with strong curves, thick glass base and shiny black. The glass seems to have been divided into three segments, with the fragrance's name in the middle segment. The neck, together with the cap that is also black, looks like a top hat. All in all, a noble-looking, quite nice bottle that also fits the hand quite well.

Conclusion:
Soo,... wow, I really liked this scent, but it's no wonder, as it's very similar to one of my favourite scents, Dior Homme EDT. Of course, there are already noticeable differences between the fragrances, which I think is good, but it's still going in the same direction of fragrances like Dior Homme. The Gentleman here is a little more tart and spicy, but still smooth, while Dior has a slightly powdery sweetness and is therefore a little more reminiscent of lipsticks. Apart from that, the Sillage scent was a bit stronger than the Dior (we are talking about the normal Dior Homme EDT and not Intense, which is stronger). Oh, you know what? In short, Givenchy is somewhere between DH and DH Intense for me.

For me, however, the differences are still a little bit small, so that a purchase would be worthwhile for me or for all those who already have Dior Homme fragrances (or even some of the Prada L'Homme fragrances). However, if you're not a fragrance collector and you've emptied your Dior or Prada, you could of course reach for this bottle. For a change or something, you know what I mean. On the other hand, I also know that some people find it hard to part with certain fragrances or replace them with others, don't they?

Well, anyway, I would definitely recommend to test it, but it's best to test it when it cools down again, i.e. from autumn on, because such scents could be rather exhausting on warm days. Then it would be usable for everyday life as well as good for going out.

And that's it. I wish you all a good evening, see you later :)

AdamStraightAdamStraight 3 months ago
Great chocolaty, iris Gourmand fragrance. Great performance. Compliment getter
GreMuserGreMuser 5 months ago
The Italians will understand: it smells the same as the discount Meloncello. You do the maths...
BertolucciKBertolucciK 8 months ago
A bit powdery, lipsticky, balsamic and spicy. A warm and dark scent beautifully blended. For distinguished gentlemen.
KimJongKimJong 1 year ago
EDP is also really good. But it's a shame that Original Gentleman's nice old-school leather, which I liked, is gone.
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 2 years ago
One of the most underrated perfumes in the last years. Close to Dior homme but more creamy-balsamic-spicy instead of floral-woody-powdery
DPArtistDPArtist 2 years ago
I've never been a fan of iris scents but this dark beauty has left me confused! It's just so alluring, like a femme fatale, naughty but nice
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
After years of praising the first Gentleman and 1 year ignoring the 2017 EDT, I confess that this 2018 EDP astonished me. Great fragrance!
Jazzy76Jazzy76 3 years ago
As black as its bottle: peppery and balsamic with a good sillage. A magnetic scent !I love it

by Vrabec
by Emko47
by Jens73
by Jens73

Popular Givenchy

Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Vetyver by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy III (2007) by Givenchy Xeryus (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2020) (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Givenchy Ambre Tigré by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Parfum) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy Cologne by Givenchy