Gentleman Givenchy 2017Eau de Toilette

Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy
Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Givenchy for men and was released in 2017. The scent is powdery-sweet. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesPear, Cardamom
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Lavender
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Leather, Vanilla

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 10.11.2020.

The face of the advertising campaign is British actor Aaron Taylor-Johnson, photographed by his wife Sam Taylor-Johnson.

A Neo-Classic Is Born
We should be able to “smell” without “judging”, taking into account the experience of the perfumer in question, and go beyond what often “looks” but “isn’t”. It is precisely the judgment, and the tendency to judge the real obstacles, the absolute barriers to authentic communication. At the same time, the only “meter” should be love, only love and nothing else. Complicated, no doubt, but not impossible. I started my review in this way because of too many hatreds and dislikes about this cologne. I’m not disputing anyone who doesn’t like this; we all like what we like.

Gentleman Givenchy EDT is a woody floral with masculine undertones, with fruity, powdery, and leathery ascendent facets. It begins with the freshness of a freshly cut pear, which is a recently introduced modern note, a William quality, so sweet, so creamy, warmed by mentholated cardamom on a reassuringly spiced lavender base that balances the sweetness. It’s a gorgeous, crunchy and fruity opening with the addition of a hint of spiced cardamom. A bite of citrus fruit is there, I bet bergamot, but it is not dominant.

The heart is where a creamy and buttery iris note with a hint of lavender is obtained. Lavender here is quite docile, not as strong, more herbaceous and less aromatic. Surprise, the dusty note of the iris is now the messenger of manly tones. The scent itself is very subtle and discreet, even though it has iris in the middle notes, which matters a lot. However, I don’t feel a lot of dust in this one, not a makeup vibe, not like Dior Homme, Valentino Uomo or Prada L’Homme anyway. If you don’t like the iris in those, then definitely try it, more crispy, clean, and toward a safe office element.

And finally, Gentleman Givenchy dries in leathery patchouli. This deep accord brings a sensual and vibrant dimension in its wake, balanced by black vanilla—hot and fiery conclusions. Patchouli and skin are never openly noticeable. Instead, they soften the sweetness and dustiness aspects of pear and iris notes. Deep drying is exquisite and gets much creamier and smoother than that sweetish opening.

However, this is reasonably linear, an office version of a masculine perfume in a modern way. Not in the offensive face, but the most polite manner, anyway. The central accord lasts half a day, after which you are left with a very soft woody scent that lasts the rest of the working day. Very versatile, it fits into the office, a night out or just relaxing at home. Suitable for mid-seasons, but I’d prefer autumn rather than spring.

In summary, there is nothing wrong with this fragrance; I find it very pleasant, comfortable, and relaxing. There is a surprisingly dry fruitiness of pear combined with smooth skin and a luxurious accord of iris and lavender. Longevity and projection aren’t great here, so remember to apply freely. Exquisite. One of the most underrated and misunderstood fragrances. Hate is entirely unwarranted. Try it and judge for yourself; you might be pleasantly surprised.

This review bases upon a 100ml (3.4 fl. oz) I own since July 2019.

-Elysium

Better than people think
This fragrance gets dismissed really quickly due to it being a very linear fragrance. It's a nice fresh scent, you get the fruitiness of the pear mixed with the lavender and iris while also getting the woody and vanilla notes at the base. The leather note is there but it's hardly noticeable at the beginning to my nose, but is does develop more around 30 minutes in.

The description on this site is spot on by saying it's a powdery fresh scent, personally I would describe it as a fruity / sweet take on Prada L'Homme, it's a great daily business / casual fragrance, and at £60 for 100ml I would say it has a fair price as well, definitely one that will be a part of my collection for some time.
Silent gentleman
Givenchy scents I never really had on my radar. This is because the top notes don't suit my taste and the newcomers are too synthetic.

Nevertheless I gave Gentleman edT a chance and after a quarter of an hour he convinced me. Despite the powdery note, leather and lavender are used quite well. The elegance lies in the quantity and it was executed cleanly. He reminds me a little of Dior Fahrenheit when this one comes to an end. But what disturbs me is this synthetic iris component, because it comes pale and I feel uncomfortable to perceive it hours later.
The durability is fine and he remains silent in this time

Courteous Gentleman
I think this is a little better than the rating it gets here and on another review site. Starts off really floral, which had me worried, but eventually settles to a lite sweet-ish fragrance. If there's patchouli and leather in there I'm guessing the pear, vanilla and lavender keep it very tame.
Not really sexy but very friendly and will go well with a casual look like sport coat and a nice pair of jeans.
Pear (e) charm and melon
Gentleman, by definition a person belonging to the nobility, characterized by education and fine manners. This is how you imagine it.
If I were the client for a fragrance that should bear the name Gentleman, I would expect something that promises quality but remains price compatible for the masses. The fragrance components should please in a discreet way rather than shouting out loud from the crowd. I would put on a scent that doesn't disturb at the dinner table and pleases the dearest one in the embrace: modern, but not chumming up.
Givenchy has reached his goal for me, the name is program. I like to put on this fragrance when I want to smell good without excitement. After sports, eating pizza or just with friends or family.
Gentleman? More like barbarian!!! :O
"Gentleman Only" (2013) was one of the last fragrances I had bought before my perfume existence. Before I became aware of the longing for my olfactory completion, so to speak. :) In the months and years that followed, the fragrance with still good levels caught more and more dust in my collection.

But when I saw the stealing white "Gentleman" (2017) bottle in the shop some time ago, I became curious! Had Givenchy possibly moulted, overhauled the cool, somewhat too linear scent and transferred the DNA into our modern time? Is the new fragrance as superior and refined as the figurehead of the last iteration, actor Simon Baker, known from "The Mentalist" as Patrick Jane? Always one step ahead? ;)

During the test still in the shop the iris caressed me so massively (I am an iris fanboy of the 1st hour as many here ws. already know... ':D) that I couldn't help but buy him right away and put him through an exact test... he almost had "Dior Homme" Vibes.

Disillusioned at home I had to find out that my nose in the shop seemed already tired and I had noticed a very distorted picture of the scent. Because the smell which I recognized now immediately, and which also held itself was that of the smell "Invasion Barbarian" of MDCI.

Invasion Barbare has for me such a Barbershop sharpness, which I think results from the ginger, grapefruit, bergamot, lavender mixture. When I say "sharpness" I mean more so in the sense of penetrating point, or perhaps also real sharpness by the ginger, - who knows..

Gentleman 2017 has this sharpness by definition not, but creates a penetrance similar to the pear note; and by overlapping with barbarians in the notes cardamom, iris, lavender, vanilla, the fragrance affects me like a very similar mainstream version of it
I often do myself with pears, but much more often with sharpness in general rather difficult with smells.. what surprises me however is, how Barbare can hold such a high rating (at present 8.3), and Gentleman mumps up with 6.2. Admittedly, I would rather personally give a 7 to both of them, because I recognize the beauty and good craftsmanship in them, but this direction somewhat misses my taste. And I don't let the aesthetics be denied here, because Gentleman wipes the floor purely from the class, with some new smell for the mass market.

Well, that was my 5 cents again. If you feel serious, like to walk around in suits with "Prada L'Homme" and want a fruity alternative, you should give this fragrance a chance! Also Invasion Barbarian fans I must urgently (!) recommend to let Gentleman once unbiasedly at itself.
An elegant fragrance
This fragrance from Givenchy keeps what it promises at the moment my favorite perfume. He is calm but elegant just like a true gentleman I can highly recommend the fragrance to you not like the EDP because in my opinion this is a bit too feminine smelling I think because there is more iris and lavender in it. Also think that this fragrance is worth a blind buy.
I hope I could help you wish you another beautiful day :-) with questions simply write

Safe fragrance...

What I think about this one is that it's a safe option. I don't particularly think it's bad in any way, maybe just safe and pleasing. It's not one that would offend and I think it's a perfectly acceptable option for any man out there.

I get that this is an update of an original fragrance, but this smells similar to many offerings out there. I get a great floral composition here. The iris and lavender (two of my favourite notes) are paired with leather - a fantastic combination, and coupled with what I think is hedione (the synthetic jasmine similar to Dior - Eau Sauvage). Other fruity notes may accentuate the composition which remains fresh and sweet.

In summary, there is nothing wrong whatsoever with this fragrance, I find it very agreeable and pleasing, and I think people will like it. Longevity and projection are not great here so bear in mind to apply liberally. I think it's probably a better fragrance than Gentlemen Only however I must admit that the house of Givenchy has seen better days in the past.
5.5

SamuelGustav
Doesn't smell too cheap so I guess that's a plus
Typical fresh opening, some fresh and fruity pear mixed with some freshness from the lavender, boring background woody/vanilla notes, nothing new here, same generic crap, but for a generic fragrance is nice, soft and clean, didn't bother me so the quality is ok, can't say the same for most designer releases this year that smell like deodorant and hairspray. Can't really say much about this one, it's ok, just that, ok... Hard to dislike so a safe bet and doesn't smell very cheap so, that's a plus now a days, actually better then most givenchy.

Jazzy76Jazzy76 1 year ago
Powdery and discrete at the first smell, It reveals its warm black soul after a few hours. A perfectly balanced scent for Her too!I love it
MrHonestMrHonest 3 years ago
A more linear version of the opening to CH Men Prive with a tiny bit more fruitiness. Shockingly similar though.
GuapoGuapo 4 years ago
This means what? Are they going to discontinue the fantastic and unique Givenchy Gentleman (1974)?

It's a Man's World
by KLewis
by KLewis
by Tarik69
by Tarik69

Popular Givenchy

Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Vetyver by Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy III (2007) by Givenchy Xeryus (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2020) (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Givenchy Ambre Tigré by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Parfum) by Givenchy