Gentleman Givenchy (2017) Eau de Toilette

Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy
Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) (Givenchy)
Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) (Givenchy)

Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) is a new perfume by Givenchy for men and was released in 2017. The scent is sweet-powdery. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesPear, Cardamom
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Lavender
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Leather, Black vanilla

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 12.11.2018

The face of the advertising campaign is British actor Aaron Taylor-Johnson, photographed by his wife Sam Taylor-Johnson.

Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 4.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 6.0/10
Silent gentleman
Givenchy scents I never really had on my radar. This is because the top notes don't suit my taste and the newcomers are too synthetic.

Nevertheless I gave Gentleman edT a chance and after a quarter of an hour he convinced me. Despite the powdery note, leather and lavender are used quite well. The elegance lies in the quantity and it was executed cleanly. He reminds me a little of Dior Fahrenheit when this one comes to an end. But what disturbs me is this synthetic iris component, because it comes pale and I feel uncomfortable to perceive it hours later.
The durability is fine and he remains silent in this time
Courteous Gentleman
I think this is a little better than the rating it gets here and on another review site. Starts off really floral, which had me worried, but eventually settles to a lite sweet-ish fragrance. If there's patchouli and leather in there I'm guessing the pear, vanilla and lavender keep it very tame.
Not really sexy but very friendly and will go well with a casual look like sport coat and a nice pair of jeans.
Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Pear (e) charm and melon
Gentleman, by definition a person belonging to the nobility, characterized by education and fine manners. This is how you imagine it.
If I were the client for a fragrance that should bear the name Gentleman, I would expect something that promises quality but remains price compatible for the masses. The fragrance components should please in a discreet way rather than shouting out loud from the crowd. I would put on a scent that doesn't disturb at the dinner table and pleases the dearest one in the embrace: modern, but not chumming up.
Givenchy has reached his goal for me, the name is program. I like to put on this fragrance when I want to smell good without excitement. After sports, eating pizza or just with friends or family.
Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 6.0/10 Longevity 6.0/10 Scent 5.0/10
Recently in the Ruhrpott.....
The other day at the Ruhrpott...

Tach!

"Good day, sir, what can I do for you?"

Where isn the perfume?

"What do you mean?"

Well, the bird that pours the Parföngs together here!

"We only sell fragrances, but don't make them ourselves"

What? And where can I complain?

"What's wrong?"

What's wrong here? All of it! Well the bulb is ok, but what's the point of the rest here?

"I can't follow!!"

Hömma master, I have here the perfume of jivönchi yes, here the gentleman, datt is voll geil, the black, kennste?
"yes that's right new!"

Isso! And that goes down well. I thought I'd try the other one, this one, the EdT. The light here just, kennste?

"Yes, I am aware of that. Also a very nice fragrance"

Are you serious? What's wrong with you? That's total tinnef! Hey, I put this on, and that's when Pear came out! Pear! Dude....BIRNE!

"And they don't like that?"

Yes goes, but then comes only so 08/15 Gedöns afterwards, thought datt is from Jivönchi and bangs fully purely, ey! Nothing bangs here understand? Even the iris ran away from me. Don't go like that!

"There's nothing I can do!"

I'll get back together with the Iris Master, don't worry about it, but how can they do that anyway? I stand there and think getz comes the Börner and then BIRNE. Understand? Only pear instead of Börner!

"But she smells good in that scent"

YOUNG!
I'm gonna crawl those pimps with you, dude. I'm facturing it's okay. But the rest is chatty, no. In the perfume here, in the black... hell there's all the cotton in there you need. I can smell dates, it's not a thing, but here? It's not like that.

"Well, there are always scents that don't suit you"

But Kumma here... this is leather... wasn't leather? Pheasant upper thigh lining? Or here, cotton vanilla... cotton! Not just a yellow... a swat... where's that swat?

"You can't see that! Notice the lavender"

I'll lavender you once in a while like... mean the flower here? Yes, but this pear neeeeeee! Datt abba does not last long.

"Maybe you should choose another fragrance"

What's with the pear?
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 9.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
Pear to go - summery fruity gentleman
The durability is very good for an EdT. I had it for 4h at sultry-warm 30 degrees and it was still very well perceived. It's not too pushy either. I already have the EdP, which in comparison is much more powerful and therefore more of a winter perfume. I love it, and so does my family
Gentleman? More like barbarian!!! :O
"Gentleman Only" (2013) was one of the last fragrances I had bought before my perfume existence. Before I became aware of the longing for my olfactory completion, so to speak. :) In the months and years that followed, the fragrance with still good levels caught more and more dust in my collection.

But when I saw the stealing white "Gentleman" (2017) bottle in the shop some time ago, I became curious! Had Givenchy possibly moulted, overhauled the cool, somewhat too linear scent and transferred the DNA into our modern time? Is the new fragrance as superior and refined as the figurehead of the last iteration, actor Simon Baker, known from "The Mentalist" as Patrick Jane? Always one step ahead? ;)

During the test still in the shop the iris caressed me so massively (I am an iris fanboy of the 1st hour as many here ws. already know... ':D) that I couldn't help but buy him right away and put him through an exact test... he almost had "Dior Homme" Vibes.

Disillusioned at home I had to find out that my nose in the shop seemed already tired and I had noticed a very distorted picture of the scent. Because the smell which I recognized now immediately, and which also held itself was that of the smell "Invasion Barbarian" of MDCI.

Invasion Barbare has for me such a Barbershop sharpness, which I think results from the ginger, grapefruit, bergamot, lavender mixture. When I say "sharpness" I mean more so in the sense of penetrating point, or perhaps also real sharpness by the ginger, - who knows..

Gentleman 2017 has this sharpness by definition not, but creates a penetrance similar to the pear note; and by overlapping with barbarians in the notes cardamom, iris, lavender, vanilla, the fragrance affects me like a very similar mainstream version of it
I often do myself with pears, but much more often with sharpness in general rather difficult with smells.. what surprises me however is, how Barbare can hold such a high rating (at present 8.3), and Gentleman mumps up with 6.2. Admittedly, I would rather personally give a 7 to both of them, because I recognize the beauty and good craftsmanship in them, but this direction somewhat misses my taste. And I don't let the aesthetics be denied here, because Gentleman wipes the floor purely from the class, with some new smell for the mass market.

Well, that was my 5 cents again. If you feel serious, like to walk around in suits with "Prada L'Homme" and want a fruity alternative, you should give this fragrance a chance! Also Invasion Barbarian fans I must urgently (!) recommend to let Gentleman once unbiasedly at itself.
Safe fragrance...

What I think about this one is that it's a safe option. I don't particularly think it's bad in any way, maybe just safe and pleasing. It's not one that would offend and I think it's a perfectly acceptable option for any man out there.

I get that this is an update of an original fragrance, but this smells similar to many offerings out there. I get a great floral composition here. The iris and lavender (two of my favourite notes) are paired with leather - a fantastic combination, and coupled with what I think is hedione (the synthetic jasmine similar to Dior - Eau Sauvage). Other fruity notes may accentuate the composition which remains fresh and sweet.

In summary, there is nothing wrong whatsoever with this fragrance, I find it very agreeable and pleasing, and I think people will like it. Longevity and projection are not great here so bear in mind to apply liberally. I think it's probably a better fragrance than Gentlemen Only however I must admit that the house of Givenchy has seen better days in the past.
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 6.0/10 Longevity 6.0/10 Scent 5.5/10
Doesn't smell too cheap so I guess that's a plus
Typical fresh opening, some fresh and fruity pear mixed with some freshness from the lavender, boring background woody/vanilla notes, nothing new here, same generic crap, but for a generic fragrance is nice, soft and clean, didn't bother me so the quality is ok, can't say the same for most designer releases this year that smell like deodorant and hairspray. Can't really say much about this one, it's ok, just that, ok... Hard to dislike so a safe bet and doesn't smell very cheap so, that's a plus now a days, actually better then most givenchy.

Guapo 17 months ago
This means what? Are they going to discontinue the fantastic and unique Givenchy Gentleman (1974)?+2
Bottle 10.0
Sillage 7.0
Longevity 8.0
Scent 7.5
MrHonest 162 days ago
A more linear version of the opening to CH Men Prive with a tiny bit more fruitiness. Shockingly similar though.
Bottle 8.0

• by TomLavender by TomLavender
  • by KLewis by KLewis
  • by Tarik69 by Tarik69

Popular Givenchy

Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Dahlia Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Xeryus Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Dahlia Divin (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Very Irrésistible Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ange ou Démon Le Secret (Eau de Parfum) / Ange ou Étrange Le Secret by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Very Irrésistible Givenchy for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Play (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy