Gentlemen Only (2013) Eau de Toilette

Gentlemen Only (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand

Gentlemen Only (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Givenchy for men and was released in 2013. The scent is fresh-spicy. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBirch leaf, Green mandarin, Nutmeg, Pink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouli, Vetiver, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesFrankincense

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 21.11.2019.

5.0 8.0 7.5/10

Just a Little Too Safe
The opening of refined flowers and dusty books brings a smile to my face, but unfortunately, it is fleeting. Within 10-15 minutes, this gives way to the baby oil note. This dances back and forth with the refined flower note, which I guess isn't a terrible thing. After a few hours, it's down to 6" and it feels like it has settled into a pleasant combination of dusty books, flowers, and the baby oil (which is present only as kind of like the casing on a pill). In the drydown, I get a clean, soap-like smell, for 13 hours in declining projection.

Overall, I like this scent. It's classy. It's masculine. I'm not sure if it's purchase-worthy though; it misses the boat by a hair, with the baby-oil thing and the ordinary (but above-average in quality) notes. I'm looking for something more elegant, more forceful, and a little more unusual.

To boil it all down, between this and Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui, it's ODLR all the way.
7.0 5.0 6.0 6.0/10

Inconspicuous Clean Man
Since I'm going on vacation soon, it was time to pack my first things. In the bathroom I digged out my toilet bag and wanted to store a few things, there I saw in a side pocket samples of Givenchy Gentleman only and Terre d'hermes . Since I'm still quite new here and I only deal with fragrances so intensely for a short time, I found it funny and very fitting at first First I tested the Givenchy, because I like the new gentleman from 2018 very much.
The birch and mandarin at the beginning are very present, but also find that it smells syntetisch. But here I don't find that so bad, the scent nevertheless manages to bring me somehow mentally into nature. Then, after a while, the patchouli starts what I like very much and by the vetiver I stay in the nature, feel like I'm in a wood in front of a pond.

It gets sweeter with time, which fits quite well.

I generally like fragrances that trigger something and transport me somewhere, he does that discreetly well.
He's never pushy, but he's present. The scent held well, but there are much better ones that last longer. I wouldn't buy it now, but it's too unspectacular for me now and I own everyday fragrances for the office and he doesn't have to come to it. But if you are looking for something like this, I can recommend this fragrance to you.
8.0 5.0 6.0 8.5/10

Masculine Masterpiece
This opens up as somewhat of a fresh, spicy and fairly sweet orange, due to the mandarin orange, pink pepper, and nutmeg in the top (there is birch that I don't detect at the moment), and the vetiver in the heart is already making itself known. After 10 minutes or so, the spiciness begins to tone down, leaving a hint of the sweet mandarin orange (though definitely on its way out), while the freshness of the vetiver remains and the earthiness of the patchouli sneaks in. I think the patchouli carries a sweetness to it as well which keeps the fragrance slightly sweet, even after the mandarin has gone. There is cedar in the heart that I can't detect at the moment. Perhaps I just need more experience with woody notes...Overall, as the fragrance begins to dry down the scent can be described as a little soapy, and tad bit sweet, and slightly earthy/damp. Very clean and masculine, though subtle. Most definitely gentlemanly. Projection is already becoming a problem (currently 15 minutes into a decent spray on my hand. I can smell it from a max distance of 6 inches away...though more sprays on warmer areas tend to let it project a little better). After almost 30 minutes, I believe we make it to the base notes, which are allegedly musk and incense. I detect no musk yet, but I do get a slight smokiness from the incense. It makes this thing even more masculine as it continues to dry down. This scent stays linear in this fashion for a good while. 3 hours in, I clan say that the fragrance is at the end of its projection life (not sure if I'd call good and true projection though; again maybe actually wearing it would change that). I now get what I think is the musk note; if so, it is providing a slightly bitter and sweet element to the fragrance. It isn't off-putting though. It's still a little soapy, but not quite as fresh anymore. Still masculine and pleasant. Almost 12 hours later, I'm sure some has rubbed off in my sleep, but I'm still getting a faint presence: ever so slightly woody (there it is!), and the hint of a sweet soapy-ness. In wearing this one in the warmer weather before, I notice that heat makes it a little powdery, and a little off-putting to my nose. I think I prefer to wear this one in moderate to even cooler temperatures. I'd say it thrives in the spring and fall, and you could even wear it indoors during the winter. I would NOT wear this in the summer heat.

2.5 2.5 2.5 2.0/10

It smells like soap
Today I bought some decant of this perfume. For those who believe it is similar to "YSL L'Homme Libre" I should say totally not. The top note smells a bit look like "YSL L'Homme Libre", Spicy and woody, but more intensive. After a while the cool scent turns to be more sweet and soap like descent. The longevity and projection is moderate that I can say it is at least 4 hours. I think It would be a good perfume for daily routines if the soap like scent doesn't bother u. However, you can buy better perfume whit that price.

MasterLi
Not so bad, not so great, could have been better...
It's an interesting one, I get vetiver and incense and a little pink pepper. The opening is nice, but the dry down is very generic. It's okay, but it really could have been better. I would have liked to have seen more from Givenchy, especially after the classic "gentleman" of the past. This one shouldn't have had the same name, they should have called it something else I think. Nice, but not really worth it for me.

KingPin 10 months ago
A bit boring to be frank.+2
5.0
6.0
5.0
Syzygy73 19 months ago
Better than its rating suggests, but a missed opportunity. This wavers between generic and great. The problem is it doesn't know what it is.+2

Saubermann aufgereiht!
by Powershot
by Powershot
by Thecombad
by Thecombad

Popular Givenchy

Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Dahlia Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Xeryus Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Dahlia Divin (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Ange ou Démon Le Secret (Eau de Parfum) / Ange ou Étrange Le Secret by Givenchy Very Irrésistible Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Very Irrésistible Givenchy for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy