Gentlemen Only 2013Eau de Toilette

Gentlemen Only (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand
Gentlemen Only (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Givenchy for men and was released in 2013. The scent is fresh-spicy. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBirch leaf, Green mandarin orange, Nutmeg, Pink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouli, Vetiver, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesFrankincense

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 15.01.2021.

Too safe to dislike...
The opening is actually really promising and pleasant - woody and boozy with a slightly sweet zesty mandarin note, very pleasing.

After half an hour I get lots of pepper mixed with a vetiver-y vibe, which turns smokier into something incense-like, but very faintly in the background.
This goes on for another two hours and after three hours, it's basically a skin scent.

Strange thing is that the opening screams "springtime" to me, while the middle phase and drydown are very "fall like" in the mood - and, unfortunately, quite generic. Smells a little like a mix of several popular cheaper fall scents.

IMHO I find it somewhere between "like" and "dislike" - it's not that I'd love to have it, but it's simply too safe to dislike. No reason to fear anyone getting annoyed by this.

Just a Little Too Safe
The opening of refined flowers and dusty books brings a smile to my face, but unfortunately, it is fleeting. Within 10-15 minutes, this gives way to the baby oil note. This dances back and forth with the refined flower note, which I guess isn't a terrible thing. After a few hours, it's down to 6" and it feels like it has settled into a pleasant combination of dusty books, flowers, and the baby oil (which is present only as kind of like the casing on a pill). In the drydown, I get a clean, soap-like smell, for 13 hours in declining projection.

Overall, I like this scent. It's classy. It's masculine. I'm not sure if it's purchase-worthy though; it misses the boat by a hair, with the baby-oil thing and the ordinary (but above-average in quality) notes. I'm looking for something more elegant, more forceful, and a little more unusual.

To boil it all down, between this and Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui, it's ODLR all the way.
Goes for Gentle Women too
The prelude greets me with green tangerine. It is fresh and fruity. Nutmeg and pink pepper hold back, the birch leaf is more tart than green. So far so good for a hot summer day. Slowly, though, birch tar, which I don't love, sneaks up bitterly from behind. I had hoped that Birch Leaf would not have this stuff on hand. But kindly, a delicate sweetness now introduces itself, for my nose it is fruity sweetness from the tangerine. It is accompanied just as delicately by spicy and slightly stuffy nutmeg. Both hover on a woody note. The spice could also come from cedar, I wouldn't argue with that now. Patchouli comes in with warmth and a powdery cocoa note. I can still catch the bitter birch tar note at times, but it's clearly moved to the background. The green mandarin accompanies me almost the whole time. GO finishes for me with dark spicy wood over which, interestingly, a minty note hovers. This final chord reminds me of "Calypso" by Harry Lehmann. It's not an herbaceous mint, but rather reminds me of After Eight without the chocolate. The vibe of the scent is dark spicy woody with a light fresh note hovering over it.

Vetiver, incense and also pink pepper do not present themselves to me directly, but are certainly somehow involved in the background.

I like GO well. Last night, after the greatest heat had subsided, I found him quite appropriate: the tangerine is not citrus-spritzig, but fruity-fresh with a slight sweetness and the wood I like even in heat.

GO is not now a purchase candidate for me, but would he stand around here, I would wear him already from time to time.

Masculine Masterpiece
This opens up as somewhat of a fresh, spicy and fairly sweet orange, due to the mandarin orange, pink pepper, and nutmeg in the top (there is birch that I don't detect at the moment), and the vetiver in the heart is already making itself known. After 10 minutes or so, the spiciness begins to tone down, leaving a hint of the sweet mandarin orange (though definitely on its way out), while the freshness of the vetiver remains and the earthiness of the patchouli sneaks in. I think the patchouli carries a sweetness to it as well which keeps the fragrance slightly sweet, even after the mandarin has gone. There is cedar in the heart that I can't detect at the moment. Perhaps I just need more experience with woody notes...Overall, as the fragrance begins to dry down the scent can be described as a little soapy, and tad bit sweet, and slightly earthy/damp. Very clean and masculine, though subtle. Most definitely gentlemanly. Projection is already becoming a problem (currently 15 minutes into a decent spray on my hand. I can smell it from a max distance of 6 inches away...though more sprays on warmer areas tend to let it project a little better). After almost 30 minutes, I believe we make it to the base notes, which are allegedly musk and incense. I detect no musk yet, but I do get a slight smokiness from the incense. It makes this thing even more masculine as it continues to dry down. This scent stays linear in this fashion for a good while. 3 hours in, I clan say that the fragrance is at the end of its projection life (not sure if I'd call good and true projection though; again maybe actually wearing it would change that). I now get what I think is the musk note; if so, it is providing a slightly bitter and sweet element to the fragrance. It isn't off-putting though. It's still a little soapy, but not quite as fresh anymore. Still masculine and pleasant. Almost 12 hours later, I'm sure some has rubbed off in my sleep, but I'm still getting a faint presence: ever so slightly woody (there it is!), and the hint of a sweet soapy-ness. In wearing this one in the warmer weather before, I notice that heat makes it a little powdery, and a little off-putting to my nose. I think I prefer to wear this one in moderate to even cooler temperatures. I'd say it thrives in the spring and fall, and you could even wear it indoors during the winter. I would NOT wear this in the summer heat.

It smells like soap
Today I bought some decant of this perfume. For those who believe it is similar to "YSL L'Homme Libre" I should say totally not. The top note smells a bit look like "YSL L'Homme Libre", Spicy and woody, but more intensive. After a while the cool scent turns to be more sweet and soap like descent. The longevity and projection is moderate that I can say it is at least 4 hours. I think It would be a good perfume for daily routines if the soap like scent doesn't bother u. However, you can buy better perfume whit that price.

MasterLi
Not so bad, not so great, could have been better...
It's an interesting one, I get vetiver and incense and a little pink pepper. The opening is nice, but the dry down is very generic. It's okay, but it really could have been better. I would have liked to have seen more from Givenchy, especially after the classic "gentleman" of the past. This one shouldn't have had the same name, they should have called it something else I think. Nice, but not really worth it for me.

KingPinKingPin 2 years ago
A bit boring to be frank.
Syzygy73Syzygy73 3 years ago
Better than its rating suggests, but a missed opportunity. This wavers between generic and great. The problem is it doesn't know what it is.

Saubermann aufgereiht!
by Powershot
by Powershot
by Thecombad
by Thecombad

Popular Givenchy

Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Vetyver by Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy III (2007) by Givenchy Xeryus (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2020) (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Givenchy Ambre Tigré by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Parfum) by Givenchy