Gentlemen Only Intense 2014

Gentlemen Only Intense by Givenchy
Gentlemen Only Intense is a perfume by Givenchy for men and was released in 2014. The scent is sweet-woody. It was last marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesGreen mandarin orange, Black pepper, Birch leaf
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouli, Texas cedar, Leather
Base Notes Base NotesTonka bean, Amber, Frankincense

Submitted by Michael, last update on 12.12.2019.

Undeserved shadowy existence
Nowadays, in our large, diverse and colourful world of fragrances, a great deal of fooling around with the terms "extreme", "absolute" and "intense" is being done.
And we experienced and critical perfume-sniffers know very quickly that there is actually not too much behind it. Hardly ever a popular eau de toilette with more fragrance is strengthened and intensified or made more durable. It is more likely that the consumer is given independent scents, because the original name has already sold so well. You could simply add an Intense-Extreme-Absolue to it, that's what people buy. Rather only the basic DNA of the fragrance remains, but the Intense has hardly anything in common with the original fragrance The disappointment is then often great. It's completely understandable I don't want to go on about marketing mistakes and the lack of ideas and courage of the designers.

This brings me to Gentlemen Only Intense from Givenchy. Since his release 4 years ago he has settled down to an average rating of 7.0, has 5 comments and 4 statements. He has somehow slipped through I suppose that this is partly due to the lavishly used addition "Intense".
Nevertheless, I would like to claim that this scent, which is very nice to wear, is worth a closer look.
I got hold of Gentlemen Only Intense in autumn 2015, on the ferry from Rødby to Puttgarden. In the shop on the ferry I took the 50 ml size with me and I still feel comfortable with the fragrance. The 50 ml were quickly emptied and then a 100 ml bottle moved in.

The fragrance is not very complex, top, heart and base notes are very close together and you can smell the rather sweet tonka base practically from the beginning.
Yet it is not a sweetness that is sticky and covers everything through the entire fragrance.
At the beginning you can clearly perceive the tangerine, but it is not ripe here yet and in full sweetness, the sweetness clearly comes from the tonka bean amber combination, which flashes through very early. Pepper I do not perceive very clearly, but some leaf green. This gives a certain fresh kick with the unripe tangerine and cushions the sweetness quite well. I find that well done too. Woody influences are quickly added, a touch of patchouli gives it some depth, I can't smell leather. In this case thank god. Too much leather has already spoiled many a fragrance for me.
Tonka-Amber continues to set the tone. I can't really smell incense very clearly either.
That's really not very exciting and innovative, but I feel very comfortable with this fragrance and I also find it suits me very well.

Intense is basically nothing here, since the fragrance neither lasts unnaturally long nor spreads an unnaturally huge veil of scent.
I can definitely certify GOI as suitable for office use, as well as for everyday use. Makes a good figure in a suit and in jeans as well. And for an evening at the theatre or a concert he is also not a bad choice The cooler season seems to me to be well suited, in summer the fragrance may seem a bit heavy.

Whoever expects something highly complex with several precious and rare ingredients and a shelf life (Intense!) from 0:00 to midnight is naturally disappointed, especially for the numerous niche noses the fragrance is nothing anyway. But if you like it warm and spicy with a certain sweetness and a touch of freshness and with an average shelf life of about 6 hours (much longer on clothes) and no roomy sillage, you are welcome to take it. I also found the Gentlemen Only without Intense quite pleasant.

I think GOI is a little bit unnoticed and comes off a little bad here.
The flacon is beautifully designed to match the fragrance with the color gradient from black to transparent and is still very handy at 100 ml.
He also seems to be gradually disappearing from the market, as new successors have appeared under the name Gentleman for some time now.
I've secured two more bunker vials just in case. You never know...

I am looking forward to the coming time and am happy to wear it more often again.

JCopelandSFP
In love with this scent.
Supposedly, the only difference in the top notes from the original is black pepper substituted for pink pepper, and the omission of nutmeg. Birch wood and mandarin orange are still listed, though once again I don't detect any woodiness, and I only get the vibe of the orange this time (slightly tangy), not actually the scent of orange. There is a spicy sweetness up top, lots of tonka bean. This scent is tonka dominant. The pepper seems to fade quickly though. One of the standout qualities of this one is an undertone of leather. This definitely comes off as much darker, sweeter, and in no way soapy and fresh like the original. The projection is not as good as the original, which is to be expected from a darker and richer version. I believe that the primary DNA of this line is spicy sweet orange up top, dying down to incense with a slightly sweet woodiness. The original just jumps out at you so much more. This one is beautifully subtle. After 10 minutes, it's already harder to detect. However, I'm really liking the addition of the leather note. It's very understated, but it adds a mysterious darkness to the scent. So far, this tonka bean-sweet, slightly smoky leather scent smells very masculine, more on the mature side, and quite alluring due to its subtle and mysterious nature. After about 30 min, I'm being reminded of another fragrance with similar notes: Armani Code Profumo. The creamy sweetness of the tonka bean, the leather undertone, and I am now getting an added sweetness from amber, which is also in ACP. Not to mention, ACP also opens with a slightly spicy mandarin orange vibe. This could be a little redundant in my collection, but I still really like it. It does have its own character. Ultimately, the scent profiles of each fragrance are only similar; not the same. It's been about an hour, and I'm loving the whiffs I'm getting of it, even from one small spray on the hand. After about 10 hours (possibly some rubbing off on my coat), I can still kind of smell it around me after 1 1/2 sprays on my neck. The scent is very pleasant. Subtle, sweet leather. Very masculine.

MrHonestMrHonest 3 years ago
I'm with Justin. I love this stuff. Think grape-leather, or like a dark purple leather. The tonka brother of Dunhill Icon minus the neroli.

by Xenom0rph
by Xenom0rph

Popular Givenchy

Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Vetyver by Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy III (2007) by Givenchy Xeryus (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2020) (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Givenchy Ambre Tigré by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Parfum) by Givenchy