Givenchy Gentleman 1974 Eau de Toilette

Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy
Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Givenchy for men and was released in 1974. The scent is spicy-leathery. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Paul Léger

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot HoneyHoney RoseRose CinnamonCinnamon LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrris rootOrris root JasmineJasmine PatchouliPatchouli CedarCedar
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber OakmossOakmoss LeatherLeather MuskMusk PatchouliPatchouli VanillaVanilla VetiverVetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 25.05.2022.

At a time when Men smelled like Men
Trying to review Gentleman is like trying to review the Guernica, the 9th Symphony, or the Velvet Underground. A waste of time.
Walking in my fifties I am one of the lucky ones who was "there" in the men's perfumes of the 70s and 80s in their original formulation and of course the Gentleman was by far the crown and the pioneer of all. The perfume station that changed the map and the view of men's perfumes breaking the stereotype fougere-fresh-barbershop (paco rabanne, eau sauvage, pour monsieur) and the aromatic-oriental (habit rouge, aramis), presenting something so "gentle" and at the same time "dirty" something so "manly" and "gentleman" that those who tried to copy it could not even approach it.
I will not go on with other pointless descriptions as plenty of ink has been spilled over the decades to describe it. Longevity and projection were from another world. I'm not talking about 8 or 10 hours but for days (after 2 days it was easily detectable on the skin) and its projection is huge for 5-6 hours and more discreet for another 5 at least and I'm talking about 2 sprays. Bitter honey poured on oakmoss and patchouli, "marked" by the smell of felines, created an explosive mix that gripped everyone around him at a time when men smelled like men and women like women rather than competing over who would smell more fruity and sweeter.
I recently tried the current formulation under the name originale. It is excellent and wearable to today's standards and tries to pay homage to the giant of the past with respect and is much better and more masculine than most of the todays fragrances but unfortunately can not capture the "feel"and the "sense" of the vintage, as it happens with all the modern reformulations of old perfumes.
Honey, patchouli, a suspicion of leather and a small touch of gentle dirtyness at the dry down as long as it does not disturb the modern sensitive sugary noses, with moderate longevity and sillage. The difference is the complete absence of the banned civet and oakmoss which give this feast of earthy and animalic authentic smells. Νevertheless, I highly recommend it to young men who want to dare and smell different from the masses. Αfter all, you can not miss something you never had, and we must support reformulations that try to keep the legends of the past alive.
And because many "experts" have tried to describe how the vintage Gentleman smells and feels, the best description was given by an old female friend, who so simply told me "this perfume smells like SOVEREIGNTY, it smells like TESTOSTERONE".

ps. for the vintage (pre-2000)
scent 10, longevity 10, sillage 10
for the current 2020
scent 8, longevity 6, sillage 5

Patchouli suited and booted
Last time I looked, Givenchy had six Gentleman's in their line up, and that's not counting the Gentlemen.
And like Basenotes, I'm going to ignore all those Johnny Come Lately's and deal with the main man.

Gentleman (1974) is a woody aromatic with citrus and herbs, and a fruity note like mango. There's a sharp lavender and bitter patchouli.
It smells dark, formal and hard; what a Cold War defector might wear.

That's one sample: another is a slightly herbal, musky-sweet patchouli with a slight edge of camphor. Basically a well worked patchouli, little more than that.
It smells a bit Old, which doesn't have to be a drawback, but if I was going to choose One Single Patchouli, this wouldn't be it.

JavSantana
The first cologne i got with my own money and my new love
I had seen this frag appearing on perfume top videos in youtube since several months ago and i think it is unfortunately overshadowed by other fragrances from the era like Chanel Antaeus, YSL Kouros, Ralph Lauren Polo Green, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, (The modern one is pretty annoying on heat, they've put a modern tonka sweetness to it nowadays, the vintage is the actual masterpiece) Azzaro Pour Homme, et cetera. I frankly prefer this Givenchy above almost all of those fragrances (Except Polo and PR PH vintage which i also love) and i'll tell you why.

Well, i have to say that i am 20 years old and got a taste for vintage colognes, my collection circles around these masterpiece fragrances of old. For some reason, most modern stuff just doesn't fit me. Excessive sweetness and gourmandish stuff. On the other side, i prefer leathers, woods, herbs, florals and even animalics. This Gentleman de Givenchy, has all of that. Mine arrived today in the mail and is from a batch made in December 2020, i had previously smelled it in a department store here a couple times, along the modern 2017 Gentleman EDT which is also a nice frag, like CH Men Privé but nicer and without the harassing sweetness.

This classic Gentleman is a quite linear creation, since the opening is just a little brighter than the heart and in the far drydown, just when the fragrance is disappearing, the perfume shows its darkest nuances. In the opening we got a dominant, pretty animalic honey with slight vomit tones surely coming from civet (Synthetic nowadays) and some slight citrus nuances to it and some rose (These other components are synthetic as well, the rose noteis heavy in geraniol giving it a fresher kind of mixed smell between rose and geranium) in there as well. In the heart we still got the slightly sweet honey nuances, a touch of buttery orris and faint woods (I cannot pick on them since the base is extremely heavy on other notes which i will mention shortly) backed by patchouli (This note dominates the fragrance) and russian leather, which is dominant in the drydown, along with the amber keeping the leather from being too dry. In there also lies the rest of the civet, way darker than in the opening with some rancid touch, it is gorgeous. However in modern formulas the heaviest notes have indeed been tamed down to its minimal expression, same as the leather in Polo green, and they are still harassing smells for younger noses. I can only hope oxygen to get inside the bottles to age the liquid and animalic tones come out with time. It has a very characteristic earthy-leathery-slightly sweet character to it and i think in the drydown is perfectly usable nowadays, a timeless sexy sweetened leather drydown, the leather in here is pretty tamed down and it is not dry, so it's amazing. It is an exquisite cologne, and i have to say that to me, this smells like the most elegant frag ever. (Not even Antaeus smells as elegant as this) Period. The performance of it is good, went from around 5 hours when i first got it into around 8 hours now. It has a nice projection for the first couple of hours. It is pretty masculine but with that sexy edge given by the sweets and animalics, and extremely classy as well. The presentation i found it to be pretty nice, to some the bottle cap has a bad quality, to tell you the truth, i don't really care, the fragrance is amazing and that's the thing that matters. I find the scent to be quite versatile, but it would really shine in fall and winter. I also don't think it admits casual use, wear some leather brogues, backwards combed hair and a full suit at least two pieces. Maybe Joaquin Phoenix's Joker or Charly Garcia in a suit would wear this frag.

bottom line: Reminding of the elegance from days past and a pretty funky decade overall reflected in the animalics and leather, this is an astounding fragrance. I loved it and i will happily buy some brogues only to wear with this frag since it made me crazy and i will definitely rock it often, perfect frag for starting out fall. (I did got some leather shoes to wear with the perfume.)

Timeless Patchouli
The Givenchy house gave us beautiful fragrances over the years. I have some of them in my collection. One of them is this fantastic patchouli from the 70's.

First of all, I'm not sure if Gentleman came out in 1974 or 1975, since in their website they cited that 1975 was the year of it's creation and by Hubert de Givenchy himself. In every other source we find Paul Leger as the perfumer and 1974 as the year of his launch. A bit confusing but there's no doubt that between 74 and 75, this one came out and changed the world of perfumery.

Givenchy Gentleman is still available and it's still great, although much more tamed that it used to be. This is one of the epitomes of Patchouli. A classic creation that took the note in vouge at the time and mixed it with aromatic and leathery notes to create a sofisticated masculine that i think it stood the test of time and it's still relevant today.

It starts off with a classic herbal bitterness tone that we find in many other masculines from the 79-80s and a burst of a very earthy but beautiful patchouli. Although everyone talks about his great patchouli note, the best part came later on, when it starts to mellow out a bit and the leather accord (named as Russian leather in the note breakdown that i find in the brand's website), joins the patchouli. A worn leather accord that screams masculinity, virility and sexyness! A very dry experience with earthy tones of patchouli and a hint of sweetness from cinnamon and some vetiver echoing in the background. A super sexy twist on patchouli with the added sweetness and leather. It will last a good 8h on skin and with a average projection. A beautiful experience.

I find these classics very relevant, different and interesting for today's standards. When I start my journey, i remember smelling this one and a couple of other classics that many consider "dated" and felling in love with them, immediately. Although, at the time, i though that they were very strong and mature for me. 5-6 years later, i find them much more wearable and i don't know if it's just because I'm older or because I'm used to these smells (cause I have some and wear them a lot) but i tend to like a lot of these great classic masculines, specially woody, spicy and aromatic ones.

I think that is time for men to start wearing real masculine scents again. It's very original for a 20-30 year old man wearing Gentleman for work or a date. Yeah, the opening is a bit sharp and mature for some but after an hour, it settled down and the slightly sweet leather accord makes it much more easy to like and a great alternative for those sweet bubblegum or boring "blue" fragrances out there.

A timeless masterpiece that i love and recommend for any patchouli lover. A must have!

4/5

P.S. You can have a similar experience with Giorgio Beverly Hills Men (less leathery) or even Hugo Boss Number One (more aromatic).
Honey Patchouli
Yes, I confess it, I like so-called "men's fragrances" except good. Namely the "old" firecracker, the tart-spicy-woody-cracky-patcoulig come across. So does this one. (Reminds me of the seventies). Cedar and oakmoss I like anyway, find the very aromatic.
For me, a wonderful patcouli lastiger fragrance that smells masculine tart, but just also very pleasantly mild, soft and honeyed. Yes, I know, this word does not even exist, but for me this combination is irresistible.
Unfortunately, I'm pretty much alone at home with my good opinion about this perfume. My husband tends rather to the lovelier things, but that is also good. Everyone should be blessed after his Fasson, not true.
Flower I smell now none, also of cinnamon, I find, is nothing in it, but my nose is probably not so fine that I can smell that out.
All in all, a fine, appealing fragrance, which does not clash. Can be worn everywhere, even my little niece said, "today you smell but good". Is sweet or?!

Elegant
I forgot how good this scent is. If it has been reformulated it still packs a punch as it used to when I used it in the 80s. I agree that it is an older man's scent. I am in my 50s and have started using it again. But I think a 30 something could pull it off too (that said, I used to wear it in my teens!).

"Debonair" and "elegant" are words that come to mind when describing this fragrance. A classic that will be around for a very long time.
Salva
When they were still putting out perfumes for men...
The 70s, the beginning of a profound socio-economic
Structural change... A decade of fundamental, social and cultural upheaval, the consequences of which are still being felt today...

Willy Brandt's knee from Warsaw,
the hostage-taking at the Olympic Summer Games in Munich,
the oil crises,
the end of the Vietnam war,
the left-wing extremist terrorist group RAF,
the beginning of the PC era with the foundation of Microsoft,
or the NATO double decision, to name but a few events...

And a decade in which the French house Givenchy released a fragrance that magically captivated me...
[...]

I have already tested all the fragrances I know of from the Givenchy Gentleman range. I found them all to be good by the bank. But I only wanted to have one of them in my collection and I found out that I like the 70's appearance best of all. Why? Because he is 100% male! Oh what am I saying, 1000%!

This primal gentleman embodies masculinity like only a few fragrances that I have personally known up to now (in this context - from my collection - I spontaneously remember Boss Number One, Davidoff Zino and Creed's Bois du Portugal).
I don't know if you can somehow understand it when I say I would like to hit the wall with my fist, or even with my head when I smell the spray head of this 70s classic (Sounds stupid, I know; but I think you understand what I mean...).

All the new sweet, sloppy one-size-fits-all mash that's coming out these days is not my world... I'm not interested in them at all... No matter how many of these overpriced brands are called...
And these paid, overexcited, lubricated and dubious YouTuber or other cardboard sellers can praise their artificial scents to the skies, no matter how much they praise them, they will not wrap me around their fingers with their fuss...
They (these fragrances) have absolutely no appeal to me and simply leave me cold...

With all the older fragrances, however, the exact opposite is the case...
[...]

I myself am in the middle of my 30s. And even if my partner sometimes says I smell twice as old as I look (Yes, sometimes she can be very charming...).
But in the same breath she admits that these scents suit me and that there is something attractive about them... And with time she finds them more and more attractive...
Well, I'm fascinated by the classics...

However, to be able to wear this 70s gentleman, you should like patchouli, because it has a good portion of it in him. And this fragrance is generally very complex in its design, I think
It begins fresh-citric through the bergamot and lemon, but additionally with a portion of spice, namely the cinnamon, which I can smell. What I like as much about the top note is the light honey note, which I perceive minimally. This gives the opening a hint of sweetness in the background.
But as mentioned earlier, patchouli plays the leading role in this classic. This earthy and tangy-woody note rushes forward quite quickly, remains very dominant and is further supported by oak moss, vetiver and cedar in its tangy-woody character, only to acquire a leathery undertone in the base.
Normally I'm not the biggest leather fan, but fortunately - at least for me - it is only discreetly perceptible here. Furthermore, it becomes musk-like-animalistic towards the base, which increases the complexity mentioned before.

The smell of patchouli is often associated with that of an old wardrobe. It does indeed separate the spirits and is perceived by many people as musty. This is also attributed to the 60s, when the hippie generation discovered this oil for themselves...
Personally, however, I associate patchouli with the following characteristics: mystical, strong in character and unmistakable. And this is how I would describe this fragrance. This dark aura is what I appreciate and love so much about this gentleman.

Certainly it will have fallen victim to various reforms over the years and I have never known the old or older version(s). The current version, however, lasts - on my skin at least - a strong 7-8h (depending on the amount of spray), and the sillage is well room filling in the first 2h.

For the summer the fragrance is probably less suitable, but in all other seasons I think you can wear it. Even though I personally prefer to use it during the day, it seems to me that it is just as good or even "a little more suitable" for the evening hours.

Conclusion:
Givenchy is a great house in my eyes and the gentleman line is very good in its entirety. Anyway, I like all the French houses. But with this woody-spicy-leathery 70s classic, the house has taken my heart by storm.
It has corners and edges and thus a unique recognition value.
I find him very noble, ultra masculine and sensually beguiling.

This fragrance is not for eyebrow-plucking teenagers; it is not for skinny, skinny jeans wearing milky boys; it is not for hoodies, capies, sneaker wearing and video game playing "adults"
This Givenchy was made for men only; and yes, I mean men too! Not boys, and not guys who haven't understood that they're grown up yet...

And before anybody feels stepped on the tie or the like: This is my personal perception of the fragrance... Respecting and accepting the opinions of others, that is what makes a democratic and civilized society... We are one of those, aren't we?

(Must be mentioned; there are still too many people who don't get it... Also here...).
Thanks 70s! Thanks Givenchy!

And thanks to all of you who read along!
Stay healthy!!
Here is not discussed
46 years old. He doesn't have to argue anymore. He speaks for himself. Over the years, he's been true to himself. Different, yet unmistakable
A classic? I think he would say milestone. But he doesn't like to advertise that. Even "Antaeus" and "Zino" are younger. Honestly...

Reformulated in recent decades? Of course. Several times. What do you think? After all, we are living in 2020 and no longer in the eighties. So please stop crying. Life is so
The phrase "Pour Homme"? Please! He doesn't need that. Gentleman says everything
Arrogant? Confident, more like. He knows what he wants. He doesn't like young posers. He just doesn't need it anymore
Elegant? Hubert de Givenchy created Audrey Hepburn's look. Any more questions?

Do you wear tight chinos in summer that end above the ankles? Tassel Loafer? Without socks? Then wear something blue. This is still a man's job!
Leather? Of course. Patchouli? Of course. Must be in every proper men's perfume. You heard me Men's perfume. The contemporary apple-fruity-fresh-sweet full-synthetic-cyber scents are not. Even if it says "For Men" on it and the salesgirl told you so. It's not true.

Does he smell animal? Not like a puma cage. But it fits!
Modern-day headlines? Ridiculous. It's still shooting from start to finish. Alpha and Omega. All at the same time.

Do you want an impression of the scent? You want to know what iris root smells like? Do you want a treatise on shelf life and scent clouds? Read the other comments!

This one's both a gentleman and a macho man. Macho is a possible counter term to softie. Just so you know!

You want to impress? Not hide? Are you confident? Here's the answer to your voices in your head!

Do the voices in your head tell you to test this perfume? Yes? Then do it. I dare you. You won't die from it. It's worth it. And if not, you can at least have a say
Try it. Everyone should have a small bottle in their cupboard
This perfume does not need Intense, Concentrée, Nuit, Extreme or Extrait offshoots. It's all in one. So don't wait for it!

Greeting
Your Profumorist
ElDiabloBZ
Unfortunately absolutely nothing for me ...
How I came to buy this fragrance .... I don't know ... at that time, I was not yet here on the way, otherwise I would have saved myself this - unfortunately nevertheless - false purchase.

First of all, I don't want to do the scent any wrong, lovers seem to have enough ... for me it smells like old, slightly musty ... Honey, rose, cinnamon, lemon ... not present for me .... he becomes softer during his development, but keeps this musty touch.

To be honest, I would punish my grandparents from my point of view, I would give them this scent ..
A pearl among fragrances
There is only to say for my part that Givenchy Gentleman is a very noble fragrance. It is more suitable for mature, self-confident personalities who can maintain sovereignty in all environments and situations

ChetDavisChetDavis 2 hours ago
Masterpiece.
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 16 days ago
5.5
Too bitter, too herbal too much chest hair. An old man with an wide open shirt, masses of white chest hair and a small golden necklace
Rossi09Rossi09 2 months ago
Instantly recognisable, masculine, a complex blend of honey, patchouli, leather, woody notes, amber. An all-time classic.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 2 years ago
A great patchouli scent with a leather base and some honey to sweet things up. Unfortunately, the latter batches are watered down. 4/5
Flaviu12Flaviu12 2 years ago
10-10-10-10 the one and the only Gentleman fragrance in the givenchys Line. The perfect one, the most complete one, superb patchiouli!
Jazzy76Jazzy76 2 years ago
Light, soft, soapy, clean and intoxicating at the same time, it seduces with discreption. A very classy daily scent good for Her too!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
A true old school masterpiece. If you like a manly very well designed, a bit retro patchouli bomb, go for it! I do recommend it!
AmberScentAmberScent 4 years ago
This perfume cuts my breath, blurs my ideas and leaves me without action. I felt the same when I saw some Van Gogh and Michelangelo's works.

Einst
by Camey5000
Ein richtiger Gentleman ist auch zu Enten höflich!
by Salva
by Undsoweiter
by Duftino
by Duftino
by TomLavender
der war mir irgendwie zu streng, aber manchmal vermisse ich ihn, ein sehr stilvoller duft, der olfaktorische john steed
kleines bilderrätsel
by Inse
by DuftKoloss
by DuftKoloss

Popular by Givenchy

Gentleman Givenchy Réserve Privée by Givenchy Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2021) (Eau de Parfum Rouge) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2020) (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Givenchy Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Vetyver by Givenchy Givenchy III (2007) by Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum Boisée) by Givenchy