Givenchy Gentleman 1974Eau de Toilette

Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy
Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Givenchy for men and was released in 1974. The scent is spicy-leathery. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Paul Léger

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Honey, Rose, Cinnamon, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrris root, Jasmine, Patchouli, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Leather, Musk, Patchouli, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 12.01.2021.

Elegant
I forgot how good this scent is. If it has been reformulated it still packs a punch as it used to when I used it in the 80s. I agree that it is an older man's scent. I am in my 50s and have started using it again. But I think a 30 something could pull it off too (that said, I used to wear it in my teens!).

"Debonair" and "elegant" are words that come to mind when describing this fragrance. A classic that will be around for a very long time.
Salva
When they were still putting out perfumes for men...
The 70s, the beginning of a profound socio-economic
Structural change... A decade of fundamental, social and cultural upheaval, the consequences of which are still being felt today...

Willy Brandt's knee from Warsaw,
the hostage-taking at the Olympic Summer Games in Munich,
the oil crises,
the end of the Vietnam war,
the left-wing extremist terrorist group RAF,
the beginning of the PC era with the foundation of Microsoft,
or the NATO double decision, to name but a few events...

And a decade in which the French house Givenchy released a fragrance that magically captivated me...
[...]

I have already tested all the fragrances I know of from the Givenchy Gentleman range. I found them all to be good by the bank. But I only wanted to have one of them in my collection and I found out that I like the 70's appearance best of all. Why? Because he is 100% male! Oh what am I saying, 1000%!

This primal gentleman embodies masculinity like only a few fragrances that I have personally known up to now (in this context - from my collection - I spontaneously remember Boss Number One, Davidoff Zino and Creed's Bois du Portugal).
I don't know if you can somehow understand it when I say I would like to hit the wall with my fist, or even with my head when I smell the spray head of this 70s classic (Sounds stupid, I know; but I think you understand what I mean...).

All the new sweet, sloppy one-size-fits-all mash that's coming out these days is not my world... I'm not interested in them at all... No matter how many of these overpriced brands are called...
And these paid, overexcited, lubricated and dubious YouTuber or other cardboard sellers can praise their artificial scents to the skies, no matter how much they praise them, they will not wrap me around their fingers with their fuss...
They (these fragrances) have absolutely no appeal to me and simply leave me cold...

With all the older fragrances, however, the exact opposite is the case...
[...]

I myself am in the middle of my 30s. And even if my partner sometimes says I smell twice as old as I look (Yes, sometimes she can be very charming...).
But in the same breath she admits that these scents suit me and that there is something attractive about them... And with time she finds them more and more attractive...
Well, I'm fascinated by the classics...

However, to be able to wear this 70s gentleman, you should like patchouli, because it has a good portion of it in him. And this fragrance is generally very complex in its design, I think
It begins fresh-citric through the bergamot and lemon, but additionally with a portion of spice, namely the cinnamon, which I can smell. What I like as much about the top note is the light honey note, which I perceive minimally. This gives the opening a hint of sweetness in the background.
But as mentioned earlier, patchouli plays the leading role in this classic. This earthy and tangy-woody note rushes forward quite quickly, remains very dominant and is further supported by oak moss, vetiver and cedar in its tangy-woody character, only to acquire a leathery undertone in the base.
Normally I'm not the biggest leather fan, but fortunately - at least for me - it is only discreetly perceptible here. Furthermore, it becomes musk-like-animalistic towards the base, which increases the complexity mentioned before.

The smell of patchouli is often associated with that of an old wardrobe. It does indeed separate the spirits and is perceived by many people as musty. This is also attributed to the 60s, when the hippie generation discovered this oil for themselves...
Personally, however, I associate patchouli with the following characteristics: mystical, strong in character and unmistakable. And this is how I would describe this fragrance. This dark aura is what I appreciate and love so much about this gentleman.

Certainly it will have fallen victim to various reforms over the years and I have never known the old or older version(s). The current version, however, lasts - on my skin at least - a strong 7-8h (depending on the amount of spray), and the sillage is well room filling in the first 2h.

For the summer the fragrance is probably less suitable, but in all other seasons I think you can wear it. Even though I personally prefer to use it during the day, it seems to me that it is just as good or even "a little more suitable" for the evening hours.

Conclusion:
Givenchy is a great house in my eyes and the gentleman line is very good in its entirety. Anyway, I like all the French houses. But with this woody-spicy-leathery 70s classic, the house has taken my heart by storm.
It has corners and edges and thus a unique recognition value.
I find him very noble, ultra masculine and sensually beguiling.

This fragrance is not for eyebrow-plucking teenagers; it is not for skinny, skinny jeans wearing milky boys; it is not for hoodies, capies, sneaker wearing and video game playing "adults"
This Givenchy was made for men only; and yes, I mean men too! Not boys, and not guys who haven't understood that they're grown up yet...

And before anybody feels stepped on the tie or the like: This is my personal perception of the fragrance... Respecting and accepting the opinions of others, that is what makes a democratic and civilized society... We are one of those, aren't we?

(Must be mentioned; there are still too many people who don't get it... Also here...).
Thanks 70s! Thanks Givenchy!

And thanks to all of you who read along!
Stay healthy!!
Here is not discussed
46 years old. He doesn't have to argue anymore. He speaks for himself. Over the years, he's been true to himself. Different, yet unmistakable
A classic? I think he would say milestone. But he doesn't like to advertise that. Even "Antaeus" and "Zino" are younger. Honestly...

Reformulated in recent decades? Of course. Several times. What do you think? After all, we are living in 2020 and no longer in the eighties. So please stop crying. Life is so
The phrase "Pour Homme"? Please! He doesn't need that. Gentleman says everything
Arrogant? Confident, more like. He knows what he wants. He doesn't like young posers. He just doesn't need it anymore
Elegant? Hubert de Givenchy created Audrey Hepburn's look. Any more questions?

Do you wear tight chinos in summer that end above the ankles? Tassel Loafer? Without socks? Then wear something blue. This is still a man's job!
Leather? Of course. Patchouli? Of course. Must be in every proper men's perfume. You heard me Men's perfume. The contemporary apple-fruity-fresh-sweet full-synthetic-cyber scents are not. Even if it says "For Men" on it and the salesgirl told you so. It's not true.

Does he smell animal? Not like a puma cage. But it fits!
Modern-day headlines? Ridiculous. It's still shooting from start to finish. Alpha and Omega. All at the same time.

Do you want an impression of the scent? You want to know what iris root smells like? Do you want a treatise on shelf life and scent clouds? Read the other comments!

This one's both a gentleman and a macho man. Macho is a possible counter term to softie. Just so you know!

You want to impress? Not hide? Are you confident? Here's the answer to your voices in your head!

Do the voices in your head tell you to test this perfume? Yes? Then do it. I dare you. You won't die from it. It's worth it. And if not, you can at least have a say
Try it. Everyone should have a small bottle in their cupboard
This perfume does not need Intense, Concentrée, Nuit, Extreme or Extrait offshoots. It's all in one. So don't wait for it!

Greeting
Your Profumorist
ElDiabloBZ
Unfortunately absolutely nothing for me ...
How I came to buy this fragrance .... I don't know ... at that time, I was not yet here on the way, otherwise I would have saved myself this - unfortunately nevertheless - false purchase.

First of all, I don't want to do the scent any wrong, lovers seem to have enough ... for me it smells like old, slightly musty ... Honey, rose, cinnamon, lemon ... not present for me .... he becomes softer during his development, but keeps this musty touch.

To be honest, I would punish my grandparents from my point of view, I would give them this scent ..
A pearl among fragrances
There is only to say for my part that Givenchy Gentleman is a very noble fragrance. It is more suitable for mature, self-confident personalities who can maintain sovereignty in all environments and situations
Eau de shaving cream
The first thing you can notice is a strong, viscous, balsamic note, which brings a subtle sweetness and is due to the honey,

At the same time, the honey is enveloped in an intense floral note, which is by no means aggravating, but in my opinion is responsible for the fact that the top note receives something pleasantly light and I unfortunately cannot say exactly which rose it is.

These two notes are surrounded by an intense sweet note, which also carries a fine deep spice and gives the top note a nice volume and comes from cinnamon.

The entire top note is accompanied by a delicate, but well perceptible, citric and slightly herbaceous nuance, which ensures that the top note does not drift into the dull, but in my opinion ensures that the fragrance has a light classic touch from the start.

This constellation is perceptible on my skin for 20 minutes before the heart note unfolds.

Now an intense, but nevertheless very finely balanced earthy and very discreet sweet note is perceptible, which gives the fragrance a beautiful depth and stems from the patchouli.

At the same time, the patchouli is carried into the air by a delicate floral nuance which, in my opinion, was used to give the heart note something light and slightly shimmering and is due to jasmine.

These two notes are surrounded by a very soft wooden nuance, which gives the heart a fine, cuddly masculine aura and is due to the cedar.

These 3 notes are accompanied by a transparent, creamy nuance that gives the heart note a nourishing and pure fragrance, without the soapy scent of the iris root.

I had a completely different scent picture in mind among the given notes, but for me the heart note smells like a fine and noble and above all characteristic shaving cream, which is not yet inferior to the mainstream and I see a somewhat older gentleman, especially Anthony Hopkins, in front of me, who still shaves himself in a very old manner.

The heart note is perceptible on my skin for 4 hours before the base asserts itself.

The base becomes lighteningly mossy, almost woodsy, I would like to say, without drifting into the unpleasant, that the scent from the beginning has a classic trait is maintained, but is not carried out further, but remains constant.

The oak moss is enveloped in a fine creamy spice, which ensures that the fragrance retains its character and also provides a beautiful, subtle spicy softness and is thanks to the sandalwood.

At the same time these two notes are accompanied by a beautiful, but fine earthy, slightly sweetish and also very subtle tart nuance, which in my opinion completes the scent and comes from the patchouli in interaction with the vetiver
And yet and this has a little surprised me, the base is underlined by something soft and at the same time angular, which sets a wonderful male accent and can only be the leather.

The entire base is surrounded by a very clear nuance, which in my opinion also has a slightly air-lifting effect and makes it clear once again that you are wearing a fragrance without reminding you of freshly washed laundry and that it comes from the musk.

Vanilla, which is exactly it, I cannot name exactly, but in the base it is the case that the scent almost ends like silk, without losing its reason - character.

In total the fragrance lasts 8 hours on my skin.

The Sillage is conceived from the outset in such a way that one is clearly noticed at half an arm's length and this is maintained also 3 hours in such a way, before it minimizes itself in quiet steps, until the smell finally completely fades out
I would like to express my sincere thanks to our perfuma "Zirkeltanz" for the vintage miniature.
Uncle Heini's old leather bag
Uncle Heini's a lovely guy. He lives alone, is financially independent, cheerful, an uncomplicated contemporary, but also has some shyness that makes him all the more likeable.
Unfortunately Uncle Heini also has the property of throwing almost nothing away.
"I'm sure you could use that again!" And so many a part ends up in his big junk room.
And there it will be forgotten over the years.
Be it old furniture, clothes, boxes stuffed with all kinds of things, souvenirs, small stuff, papers etc... Shoes, bags, suitcases. Nothing gets away. Uncle Heini has no real order either. That was also never his strength.

Now and then Uncle Heini makes a house inspection and sooner or later also enters his crammed lumber room. He makes his way through his hodgepodge and stops in the furthest corner. His gaze sticks to his old leather bag. He takes them in his hand, looks at them and remembers earlier times when he was still working.

Uncle Heini was an official and always carried his leather bag with him. But Uncle Heini was always a bit scatterbrained, always spilling, tipping over or dropping something. Thus, his beloved leather bag has been badly damaged time and again. Be it at breakfast, where the honey dribbled from the roll onto his pocket, when he ate it hastily (Uncle Heini was never quite the most punctual) or when he had to smoke his cigarette on the run and he just flicked the ashes somewhere. There it did not fail to land also once ashes on the leather bag.
When it went to the authorities in a hurry and it rained, Uncle Heini forgot his umbrella at home and he got clobber-wet together with his leather bag.
But all that never really bothered him.

He never exchanged his leather bag all these years and so she got older with him.
When he retired, he could have thrown them away without further ado. After more than 40 years, the bag really looked very battered and punched. But since Uncle Heini couldn't part with anything, the bag went to the other things in the lumber room to get more signs of aging, because in the lumber room it was also a bit draughty and damp.

What am I trying to say?
I associate that with Givenchy Gentleman. I bought this a long time ago, when I thought that I get along with the fragrance spicy-leathery well.
Spicy yes, quite clearly and gladly, but with all too clear leather I do not get along somehow so.
Gentleman reminds me too much of Uncle Heini's old leather bag, which was splattered with honey at breakfast and which was repeatedly washed over and then forgotten in the back corner of the lumber room.
This is a fragrance direction that I don't like, that doesn't suit me and with which I feel disguised.
I naturally recognize the design, indulge the fragrance to anyone who likes it.
But I also take the liberty of expressing my displeasure and sometimes distributing it against a fragrance that is quite popular overall. I don't want anyone to get offended.
I like to part with Givenchy Gentleman, leave Uncle Heini to his quirks and enjoy other scents ;-)

A Gentleman forever young
I don't understand the purpose of Givenchy to create another perfume with the same name. This 1974 version will allways be the eternal Gentleman for me...
I have always been fond of some established perfume designers outside the "Big 3" (Chanel, YSL and Dior). This affection of mine was at least extended to Guerlain, Versace, Bvlgari and Givenchy. I greatly appreciated Givenchy's decision to launch the series "Les Parfums Mythiques". Yet that did not stop me from having a love-hate relationship with this house.
Givenchy never seemed to have any problem in murdering some of their scent gems, giving the same name to different perfumes, with a total disrespect to their previous creations and their consumers.
As soon as I learned that Givenchy could discontinue the wonderful Givenchy Gentleman - which would be a real crime against humanity - I ran to the Internet with the aim of buying another bottle. The original Givenchy Gentleman, along with Boss Number One and YSL Opium, is part of the "Old School" perfumes that I use almost "obligatorily" once a week.

The opening citrus notes - mainly lemon and bergamot - are well blended with the slightly animallic honey, the bittersweet cinnamon and the soft but dark rose, resulting in a notorious spicy effect. Tarragon is another note that helps this effect, amplifying the effect of the rose, and bolding the spicy aroma of the other notes.
Slowly the patchouli begins to grow, begining powdery and starchy, to become later slightly bitter and smoky, with a faint scent of iris and violet, certainly due to the orris root note. The patchouli trail gets even stronger near the end of the development. This note is the one that mostly identifies Givenchy Gentleman and it's ubiquitous in almost the entire fragrance evolution.
Before starting the drydown, the fragrance becomes a bit "dirty" due to its blending with civet and an earthy vetiver. This blending almost removes all the of the initial honey sweetness but without losing its global softness. The final chord, at the beginning of the drydown, perpetuates the eternal patchouli with a strong but velvety leather, a wandering musk and a lot of gloomy oakmoss.

On the whole, this fragrance presents some polarity because it can be relaxed but also formal, elegant but with some rudeness, and classic without ceasing to be contemporary. So its versatility is quite high just being unsuitable for any events under high temperatures. Its performance is very good, with a considerable longevity and never cloying above average projection.
It's hard not to like this perfume. As I do not want to be surprised by the unforeseeable decisions of Givenchy, I already bought a backup bottle.
I've tried the new 2017 EDT version and I've found it a very boring, undifferentiated fragrance and not related to the original Givenchy. I am however very curious to try the 2018 EDP, which so far has not yet been possible.

Keep your scent high!

A gent's gem!
I don’t know the current version of this gem, and given Givenchy’s descent into mediocrity of the past couple of dozens of years, I am not sure if I want to; but the vintage incarnation of Gentleman is by no means inferior to many other timeless vintage masterpieces – and I mean the true Olympus of those, next to Tiffany for Men or vintage Chanel Antaeus. I personally find Gentleman extremely distinguished, extremely high quality, and extremely unique, if not really innovative for its era. My review could (should?) really end here, but well...

The thing I find innovative here is above all the way the combo patchouli-vetiver is used in the composition, and the notes which Léger’s genius decided to surround it with. Basically, the “frame” here is an earthy-smoky texture rich in herbal, hay and woody-leather nuances, which is brilliantly paired with a traditional aromatic lavender-infused fougère bone structure (think of Azzaro pour Homme, although it came later) and a touch of tangy and grassy citrus (similar to verbena). All of this surrounding then the true star of Gentleman, the patchouli-vetiver accord I mentioned above, which gets brilliantly enhanced by earthy, musky, smoky and sweet nuances; the dampness of hay, the indolic smokiness of leather and civet (just a hint, but you definitely smell that little devil rambling beyond the base notes), and a subtle yet perfectly perceivable smooth touch of warm, sweet-powdery-musky floral notes with a shade of vanilla.

Now, it may seem a heavy or complex scent with a lot of nuances ranging from herbal, to smoky-leathery, to woody and sweet-powdery, but it isn’t really. Or well, it is complex indeed, but not too “powerful” at all. It’s a refined, almost tame fragrance, perfectly reflecting its name, delightfully gentle and discreet, cozy and elusive at the same time. It’s so well put-together that it smells perfectly crisp, bright, even fresher than it may seem despite there is many “dark” notes. Truly a perfect uplifting harmony by no means “heavy” to smell – on the contrary, extremely easy to wear and to like. It’s amazing how the notes are there, clear and rich, and yet this fragrance has a remarkably weightless presence on skin – it’s substantial, but really mannered.

Surely a “vintage gentleman’s scent”, probably one of the most sophisticated around, but quite unique and actually, maybe more modern than others, if not slightly more “youthful” too (maybe thanks to the “hippie touch” of patchouli). Needless to say it smells rich, persistent and clear for hours, with a perfect projection and an impeccable drydown which gets gently drier and woodier (that vetiver again!) as hours pass, still keeping a touch of floral muskiness lurking in the background. What else to say? An amazing modern classic of masculine elegance perfectly showing the old school French taste for “classy dirtiness”, that unique ability of many classic French masculine scents to smell refined and cozy still keeping it dirty, complex and even subtly “raw”. Fantastic.

9/10

GothicHeart
Hell-bent on staying a gent...
Prologue

Last days of April. A sunny and warm day, serves as a reminder that summer is never too far away. Not in the small part of the world where he lives at least. He enters leisurely a small and very old cosmetics shop, owned by a middle-aged lady who reminds him of this clever and kind aunt that almost all of us remember from our childhood. Having just smoked a couple of fags, he puts a chewing gum in his mouth. His eyes are scanning the fragrance shelves during the pleasantries. He spots a 50ml splash bottle of Azzaro's Acteur, and considering its 20€ price a bargain for such a vintage piece, he grabs it and walks towards the cash register. And there he sees them and nearly swallows his chewing gum.
Three (!!!) 109ml (not a typo) splash bottles of Givenchy Gentleman, half-hidden in the showcase which also serves as the cashier desk. They lie among brushes, pantyhoses and barrettes, inexplicably away from the fragrance shelves. Trying to act as indifferent as possible, he asks to have a look at them. Their boxes are slightly worn and dirty, and their top side is sealed with a small transparent sticker, bearing the Givenchy logo. But there is no barcode, no estimated sign, no green dot and no EMB code. His heart starts missing a beat in every two. These come from mid to late '70s! He asks whether it would be possible to check them out. The lady, feeling there's a good chance to get rid of three bottles that were collecting dust for almost 40 years, grants him the permission. He opens the boxes from their bottom sides. The bottles are full. He unscrews their caps and he's nearly floored by what his doing unleashes. Trying to put himself together, he asks for a price for the lot of them. He can have them all for half the price of a typical Creed. He stashes them in his mailman bag, and after a slight bow towards this perfume vault involuntary keymistress [sic], he exits the shop. Hindering the impulse to run home and bury his nose in the bottles, he goes on with his business as if nothing had happened. Bows, sang-froid...It seems like the three newly acquired bottles have already started working their magic, by granting him some gentleman's qualities before even opening them. Finally, he returns home in late afternoon, makes a coffee, lights another fag, and...

Main Act

"I never can be tied to raw, new things.
...
Such treasures, left from times of cautious leaven,
Cannot but loose the hold of flimsier wraiths
That flit with shifting ways and muddled faiths
Across the changeless walls of earth and heaven."

Howard Phillips Lovecraft, "Background"

Adding anything about the way Givenchy Gentleman smells would be superfluous. Hundreds of lovers or haters have described it very aptly before me, using sometimes the exact same reasons to justify loving or hating it. So my contribution here will be in the form of simply asking why such a ridiculously good fragrance has followed the fate of the dinosaurs, like a gigantic, mighty creature which was outlived by rodents. And if someone tells me that Givenchy Gentleman is not extinct, I'll beg to differ. Cause from what I read, its current formulation is so similar with its vintage one as much as dinosaurs were similar to mammals. In the sense that yes, both species are animals. But any further similarity ends there.
I usually avoid judging scents without testing them, but I think that one with half its notes synthetically replicated in a lab can't hold a candle to one laden with civet (probably the real thing) and oakmoss. The one acre of patchouli per bottle ratio is of course a staple, thus there's no use mentioning it. The funny thing however, is how a fragrance so stupendously fraught with something that its excessive use would label someone as a hippie when it was launched, has "gentleman" written on its bottle.
But please don't get me wrong. I like the hippies' simple life-approach very much, although I never strengthened their ranks. But true gentlemanship has nothing to do with the way one dresses, just like gallantry has nothing to do with one's size and education has nothing to do with schools. Some of the most decent gentlemen I've met so far, were shy, humble people with courageous hearts and little school education.
And speaking of schools, yes, Givenghy Gentleman is definitely the epitome of old-school. It's actually so old-school, that I guess it was already the headmaster of the powerhouse school when lads like Kouros and Antaeus entered first grade.

Epilogue

What was that again? How the current reformulated version smells like? Rhett?...
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

HugoMontezHugoMontez 2 months ago
A great patchouli scent with a leather base and some honey to sweet things up. Unfortunately, the latter batches are watered down. 4/5
Flaviu12Flaviu12 5 months ago
10-10-10-10 the one and the only Gentleman fragrance in the givenchys Line. The perfect one, the most complete one, superb patchiouli!
Jazzy76Jazzy76 1 year ago
Light, soft, soapy, clean and intoxicating at the same time, it seduces with discreption. A very classy daily scent good for Her too!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 1 year ago
A true old school masterpiece. If you like a manly very well designed, a bit retro patchouli bomb, go for it! I do recommend it!
AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
This perfume cuts my breath, blurs my ideas and leaves me without action. I felt the same when I saw some Van Gogh and Michelangelo's works.

Einst
by Fivetoes74
by Undsoweiter
by Undsoweiter
by TomLavender
der war mir irgendwie zu streng, aber manchmal vermisse ich ihn, ein sehr stilvoller duft, der olfaktorische john steed
kleines bilderrätsel
by Inse
by DuftKoloss
by DuftKoloss

Popular Givenchy

Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Vetyver by Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (2007) by Givenchy Xeryus (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ambre Tigré by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Parfum) by Givenchy Xeryus Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2020) (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Givenchy