Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy

HugoMontez
15.08.2021 - 01:46 AM
Helpful Review

Timeless Patchouli

The Givenchy house gave us beautiful fragrances over the years. I have some of them in my collection. One of them is this fantastic patchouli from the 70's.

First of all, I'm not sure if Gentleman came out in 1974 or 1975, since in their website they cited that 1975 was the year of it's creation and by Hubert de Givenchy himself. In every other source we find Paul Leger as the perfumer and 1974 as the year of his launch. A bit confusing but there's no doubt that between 74 and 75, this one came out and changed the world of perfumery.

Givenchy Gentleman is still available and it's still great, although much more tamed that it used to be. This is one of the epitomes of Patchouli. A classic creation that took the note in vouge at the time and mixed it with aromatic and leathery notes to create a sofisticated masculine that i think it stood the test of time and it's still relevant today.

It starts off with a classic herbal bitterness tone that we find in many other masculines from the 79-80s and a burst of a very earthy but beautiful patchouli. Although everyone talks about his great patchouli note, the best part came later on, when it starts to mellow out a bit and the leather accord (named as Russian leather in the note breakdown that i find in the brand's website), joins the patchouli. A worn leather accord that screams masculinity, virility and sexyness! A very dry experience with earthy tones of patchouli and a hint of sweetness from cinnamon and some vetiver echoing in the background. A super sexy twist on patchouli with the added sweetness and leather. It will last a good 8h on skin and with a average projection. A beautiful experience.

I find these classics very relevant, different and interesting for today's standards. When I start my journey, i remember smelling this one and a couple of other classics that many consider "dated" and felling in love with them, immediately. Although, at the time, i though that they were very strong and mature for me. 5-6 years later, i find them much more wearable and i don't know if it's just because I'm older or because I'm used to these smells (cause I have some and wear them a lot) but i tend to like a lot of these great classic masculines, specially woody, spicy and aromatic ones.

I think that is time for men to start wearing real masculine scents again. It's very original for a 20-30 year old man wearing Gentleman for work or a date. Yeah, the opening is a bit sharp and mature for some but after an hour, it settled down and the slightly sweet leather accord makes it much more easy to like and a great alternative for those sweet bubblegum or boring "blue" fragrances out there.

A timeless masterpiece that i love and recommend for any patchouli lover. A must have!

4/5

P.S. You can have a similar experience with Giorgio Beverly Hills Men (less leathery) or even Hugo Boss Number One (more aromatic).

Latest Reviews

HugoMontezHugoMontez 3 days ago
Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme (1994) (Eau de Toilette) - Dolce & Gabbana

Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme (1994) (Eau de Toilette) Italian man in the 90's
Dolce & Gabbana, a brand that doesn't have many great fragrances, in fact, i guess this is their best (talking about the masculine ones). A concoction of citruses, lavender, sage and woods. A simple eau de cologne mixed with a fougère style....

HugoMontezHugoMontez 14 days ago
Un Jardin en Méditerranée - Hermès

Un Jardin en Méditerranée Summer love
One of my first "hidden gems" that i came across when I started my journey years ago was this fragrance. A masterful composition by one of my favorites Perfumers, mister Jean-Claude Ellena. He arrived at Hermès in 2003, and the first fragrance that...