Givenchy III (1970) Eau de Toilette

Version from 1970
Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand

Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Givenchy for women and was released in 1970. The scent is chypre-floral. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Galbanum, Gardenia, Peach, Bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Rose, Iris, Carnation, Narcissus
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Ambergris, Oakmoss, Vetiver, Castoreum, Myrrh

Submitted by Evita, last update on 14.11.2019.

The fragrance was re-released in 2007 as part of the collection "Les Parfums Mythiques".

6.0 6.0 7.0 7.5/10

Classic Beautiful Chypre
Vintage Givenchy III EDT! What a beautiful fragrance this is. This is very similiar to YSL Y! It starts off with a strong burst of citrus & galbanum! No need to dread, this dries down after a while but still remains at the forefront. The heart of the fragrance is pure floral along with the citrus & galbanum still lurking around. I think those two notes keep this perfume balanced from going into HEY I AM A BIG FLORAL BOMB!

We are left with the basenotes of sandalwood, florals & oakmoss (which I do not believe is found in the modern version)along with some vetiver. It is a green fragrance to say the least! This stuff easily last 8+ hours on my skin & projects nicely for the type of fragrance that it is.

I am not the biggest chypre fan out there, but I do believe every perfume collector should have at least 1 or 2 of these in there collection. Altho marketed as a woman's fragrance, this can be unisex without any question or doubt. It should fit any atomosphere except a bar/club as I do not see this as a heavy hitter for those types of meetings.

All in all, Givenchy has done very well here. Some of their best work I think.

Why I love vintages...
As soon as I smelt this one, it took me right back to the reason why you can't beat a vintage chypre. There's something about the fresh combination with the oakmoss and delicate florals done right that just allures and entices you. Truly a lot of French fragrances made during this era were exceptional, composed with care and artistry.

I get a lot of the fresh floral & slightly fruity citrus top, with the galbanum and jasmine coming in, balancing the harsh bitterness and the dusty oakmoss with a vibrant hint of citrus and bright floral. The orris root, sandalwood, lily-of-the-valley and even coconut come together absolutely wonderfully here, with a honeyed gardenia note that compliments other white florals and even hyacinch. Really a fragrance which is multi-faceted and extremely well put together and enjoyable. It's a joy to wear and defies gender classification in my opinion. I'm wearing the vintage eau de toilette and it's really something else. I can't speak for modern formulations or versions but if you do get a chance to try vintage and you are a chypre fan just buy it. If you like Mitsouko and No. 19 then this is a great and unique companion to them. One which has to be experienced. Exceptionally good and what real perfumery is all about.
5.0 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

A cherished nightmare...
I don't know about you, but for me the most mysterious and enthralling place in the house I grew up, was always my mother's chiffonier. Everything on it looked like it came straight from a fairy tale, or from the far-flung palaces of the Far East. Especially the small collection of her perfumes. I was totally convinced there was a genie living in one of the bottles, waiting to grant my wish and make me a grown-up in no time. All I had to do was finding out in which one it dwelled. So one of my most daredevil antics was to secretly infiltrate my parents' bedroom and dab myself with whatever was lying within my reach. My "commando" tacticts were of course immediately exposed upon exiting the room, cause the monsters my mother was keeping in there were traitorous enough to give me away every single time.
My mother was always giving me funny looks after each accomplished mission, but I fancied they were about my glasses being dirty or my hair being uncombed.
Until one accursed Saturday evening, a huge 240ml splash bottle of Givenchy III decided it had enough of abuse, and tried to kill itself by falling from my hands. It failed. I dont know if you've ever handled such a bottle, but rest assured its glass is thick enough to stop a bullet. My mother came flying upon hearing the thud and found me aghast, with the golden stopper still in my hand, watching half of the golden soul of Givenchy III escaping its body and speading on the floor. The other half was already spilled on my clothes. Although I was sure a legendary chiding was seconds away from being yelled at poor me, she didn't say a word. What she did however, was leaving me with the perfume reeking clothes on for the rest of the weekend. Till Sunday night I was 1000% sure that I would prefer having my 8 years old butt kicked and be spared the olfactory torture. It felt like I was tied for ages with mossy ropes to an oak, while green devils wearing gardenia leis were frenziedly dancing all around me, poking me with pointy sandalwood sticks and throwing orris roots (with all the dirt still attached) on my face. I was seriously pondering over begging my mother for a beating in exchange of a bath. But not being stoical enough, I just asked for the bath. She replied "Why? I love the way you smell!".
Amnesty was finally granted at late Sunday night. I felt like a sinner been cleansed from all his wrongdoing. After she scrubbed me redder than a beetroot, my mother left me standing ecstatic in the bathtub and went to bring a towel. When she came back and approached me I threw my hands happily around her neck in order to kiss her and show her my gratitude. Imagine my horror upon realising that she was the one reeking with Givenchy III now...

Many years later I found a very old 60ml splash bottle of Givenchy III in a tiny backstreet shop. I guess the nice lady behind the desk is still wondering what my huge smile while buying it was all about...
7.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

Dynamic green chypre
Givenchy III dates back to the 70s, it has been available again as part of the re-edition-scheme since 2008.
Givenchy III is probably one of the best green chypres with head-notes of lily-of-the valley, rose, jasmin and galbanum. The heart is woody, with santal and oakmoss. I love this fragrance from its beautiful topnotes to the drydown, which seems to contain a bit of patchouli, incense, citrus.
Obviously the idea behind Givenchy III was to create a very fresh perfume based on a flowery, but green accord. I think it is a dynamic scent, uplifting, versatile scent, suitable for all occasions.
The re-edition does not last as long as the original and contains less galbanum and less oakmoss, but I still prefer it to countless new releases on the market. My vintage Givenchy III is one of my most precious bottles - contentswise. I even keep it in my fridge.
7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Galbanum, Glorious Galbanum!
Galbanum glorious galbanum! GIVENCHY III is one of a cluster of 1970s-era floral-chypre perfumes with a classic structure and line-up of notes. The scrumptious galbanum is green and waxy and chewy and just sharp enough. The oakmoss offers a gray and slightly dirty contrast. The iris, rose, and narcissus keep the whole composition from being too dark and depressing. This is an utterly beautiful creation. Perfumes such as GIVENCHY III are the ones which keep me a believer in perfumery as an art, not just another luxury business or crass mass-market cash cow.

What I'm not sure about is whether GIVENCHY III is better than the other floral chypres of this type launched about the same time. I love them all! I am testing the vintage GIVENCHY III and have no idea how the reformulation came out, though I'm not all that optimistic. Of course, Lancome did a great job with its collection of reissued classic chypres, so let us hope that Givenchy followed their example and not Guerlain's...

Trucklady 152 days ago
That this is beautiful is not debatable. The sillage and longevity, however, bring this right down. How dare such a powdery glory be flat?!?
5.0

by Piapedersen
by Annkom
by Annkom

Popular Givenchy

Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Dahlia Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Xeryus Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Dahlia Divin (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Ange ou Démon Le Secret (Eau de Parfum) / Ange ou Étrange Le Secret by Givenchy Very Irrésistible Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Very Irrésistible Givenchy for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy