Insensé (1993)Eau de Toilette

Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand

Top 43 in Men's Perfume
Insensé (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Givenchy for men and was released in 1993. The scent is floral-green. It was last marketed by LVMH.

Daniel Molière

Top Notes Top NotesBasil, Mandarin, Blackcurrant
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Magnolia, Lily-of-the-valley, Mastic
Base Notes Base NotesFir balsam

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 30.05.2020.

The fragrance was re-released in 2007 as part of the collection "Les Parfums Mythiques".

Flower for man
One of the few vintage perfumes that I can't find a decent price. I found a 7 ml mignon at a good price but they are absolutely too few for how good this perfume is. Disappeared too soon from the shelves due to poor sales, it will be the ugly bottle, that yellow of the box, the fact is that (as it happened for m7) it was not understood by the public and unfortunately I was late too to revalue it. Floral is the first adjective that comes to mind, it's the most floral masculine scent I've ever heard that makes it absolutely unisex. The center of insensè vaguely reminds me of the floral chanel of selfish platinum, reminds me, because it is totally different, the platinum is clear and crystalline, the yellow scent is very "soapy" but fortunately it evolves with time.
You can feel so much nature, so many herbs, fresh flowers, fruit and pine that contrast perfectly with a dark and smoky base. Slightly powdery, you can feel the aldehydes, the smoke, the soap, the flowery, the green and the balsamic / woody. This is the contrast is very mysterious and Gothic, nostalgic in the positive sense.
Absolutely not for everyone Refreshing and melancholy, for me the best flower in the world. If it were a person, it would be Mother Nature

Rating: 9/10

Pasty crispness
What an incredible creation. It's really a pity that its brother Ultramarine got all the attention. By the way, I absolutely love Ultramarine as well, as it is a completely incredible take on the whole watery-fresh vibe.

Back to Insensé, the mastic+fir balsam provides a scent a base that contrasts incredibly well with the aldehydic fruity top and the gorgeous floral mid. It has quite nice longevity on me, and usually, I have perfume eating skin.
The overall feel of the perfume is an uber elegant pasty crispness, a tad green, a tad chalky, a tad floral. A masterpiece!

Darkbeat
A classic ahead of its time.
Today, thanks to the generosity of a colleague, I was able to try the discontinued Insensé. A green and extra-terrestrial aldehydic floral aroma, a perfume that could perfectly have been the perfume of La Mayor, protagonist of the futuristic film Ghost in the Shell, half human, half machine, and I refer to this female character, because the perfume has a certain duality of gender, starts rubbing femininity, and ends with an absolute masculinity.

I'm not particularly fond of this type of perfume, but now, carrying it, I realize how avant-garde it had to be in its time. It is a perfume that you love or hate, and not suitable for everyone, but nobody can ever deny its originality. A classic, formal, elegant and very mature aroma, herbal, soapy and of an impeccable neatness, not suitable for young people dressed casually.

Its duration is very good, not so much its projection, which remains moderate. A perfume of temperate climates and daytime use, autumn and spring could be good candidates for its optimal use, I do not think the cold and the intense heat get along with it.

For lovers of this perfume, tell you that there is an Arab house with a perfume of similar characteristics and at a very low price. If you can not find Insensé, at least you can enjoy something similar with Ajmal Neutron, this perfume is assiduously worn by a friend, and even if they are not exactly the same, it is true that they share style. To me, it is not an aroma that calls me, but if you like Insensé you have nothing to lose.

Sorry for my bad english.
SnoopDog
Summer meadow at the edge of the forest
I'm an ISENSÉ ULTRAMARINE fan.
As far as the ISENSÉ is concerned, I always wanted to test it, because it gets super grades throughout. But getting it is a bit like getting a 6 in the lottery. Even in relevant online auction markets it is a rarity and - if ever offered - changes its owner for expensive money. I recently shot 50 ml EdT for 70.00 euros. That's what I call good deal!

Whether there are differences between relaunch and vintage, I cannot judge. The vintage scent is almost impossible to get anymore.

Well, the fragrance is unique, not from this world and was apparently created for something special. It stands out from all the Douglas standard fuel EXTREM. You'd think it was literally created a quarter of a century ago. Because he has absolutely nothing of the flanker mainstream and the hyped everyday and advertising fragrances a´la Sauvage, Acqua di Giò, BOSS Bottled. JOOP! Jump and what they're all called... May they also have a right to exist (at least Sauvage) but, Fragrances for the Masses are not for me.

INSENSÉ:
...seems to me supernatural, sensual, dreamy.
He's so unisex to me. Because he is so feminine that women could wear him well, even should. If I smelled him on a woman (which is as likely as a 6 in the lottery) I'd go after her - I think. I'm going to try it out on my own tonight...

...result is comming soon!

The woman,
who wears ISENSÉ, is between 30 and 40, bright (e.g. blond), youthful type, playful, sensual, childish (Lolita) and jumps like a little girl in summer through a field with meadow flowers. She drives FIAT 500 or Mini and has a dog.
The man,
who wears ISENSÉ, is around 40, sporty, individualist, gentleman, funny, charming, gourmet, bon vivant and definitely doesn't drive a VW Passat.

Top note:
Fresh floral and intense, a hint of citrus fruit. Bang: Mandarin! I'll say. But it's not sweet enough for mandarins. Peng Black Johanna! Yeah, tangerine mixed with blackcurrant do it pretty well. Basil? Maybe he was wrong in the test tube. I don't notice any basil at all.
What a top note: 10 points

Heart note:
I can't smell anything of my magnolia at the moment (winter), I pick it up in summer and have a look. I don't have magnolia in my nose right now either, so I don't know. But what is mastic shrub, please? Google: Wild pistachio, aha. Yeah, it could be - I don't know. I'm overwhelmed! Iris and lily of the valley are right - after all, they are meadow flowers. I guess the heart note is Givenchy's secret. Let's just agree on
Wonderful summer flower meadow.
What a heart note: 10 points:

Base note:
Indeed, there is something spicy in this sea of flowers. The closer you get to the base, the spicier it becomes - you walk out of the field into the coniferous forest. Tannenbalsam, I would never have thought of that, but yes - it could be. With the base comes seasoning and a little (fir) wood. He keeps his sensual character nevertheless or perhaps just because of it.
Basis: 9 points

Shelf life: all day long, above average and clearly perceptible to the end - a fragrance that won't tip over!

Silage: discreetly perceptible, reserved, diplomatic, charming and yet present. In the base only very close - perfect

Flacon: sh... no matter, the relaunch flacon is quite good, lies well in the hand (100 ml even better al 50 ml, I know it from UM), the war´s. It's just from the '90s. Guites mean halt.

Conclusion:
Isensé, you are my goddess! Thank you Givenchy for this masterpiece and shame on you that you set it.

One of my TOP10

Happy
A really interesting scent, a male flowery fougere. I can only recall Caron 3 Homme as virile flowers.
Although this is not my kind of perfumery I was astonished by the positive vibes of the crazy Givenchy. I'm not a fan of bright aldehyde kick, but everything upon is magic.
A fruity symphony of black currant with classic lavender and magnolia flower, rounded with some piney twist.
Very romantic, fragile and happy scent. Progressive, but again it respects some classical fougere form. Pity it's no longer with us.

Rating: 8.5/10

90's aquatic
This review is for the vintage juice!

Insense by Givenchy is a really nice fragrance marketed for men containing many floral notes. Very much so that it is unusual but it works.

I get the basil, magnolia & lilly of the valley. This is such a green swampy fragrance. It smells of wet, swampy waters where gators, & bullfrogs reside in the midst of the damp forest.

I get between 6-8 hours of longevity out of this with arms reach projection. I enjoyed this particular aquatic fragrance which I normally don't tend to pursue, but it was so unique I had to have it until I got bored with it & sold it. Nice to have & get especially in it's vintage form.

The Beautiful of Beautiful
There is a kind of man that never can be reached. He is independent, solitaire, and tenderly aloof, his soul always on the edge. Everybody wants him, and he wants nothing. I'm thinking of Rimbaud in Charleville, young, adventurous, with an entire life to come; or in the magnificent character of Lord Sebastian Flyte, from Evelyn Waugh's "Brideshead Revisited".

Such man is beautiful, cultivated, artistic. But, most of all, he does not care about correctness.

Insensé, from Givenchy, is definitely the most beautiful perfume for men ever made. After testing hundreds of classic and new, it remains inimitable for me. And decomposing its structure by notes or by stadiums will not give you the whole idea, if you don't test it yourself.

For me, it is decadence, perdition and abandonment. And yet, a happy feeling emerges when I wear Insensé.

When he's lost his heart and then his head, the French say he's 'Insensé'. Reader: my nickname was taken from this merveille. I am Insensé.

Freeze!...
There was a very famous bank robber in Greece during the '70s, who used to enter the robbed-to-be bank with a sawed-off unloaded shotgun hidden inside a posy of sword lillies. And yes, bank robbers can achieve rock star status, cause banks, directed by vampires in expensive suits, are not exactly the most popular establishments. He also used to give the flowers to the ladies working in the bank, before running away with the money.
He got caught, escaped prison, flew to another continent, got caught again, and during his deportation flight he gifted fragrances bought in the duty-free shop to every hostess on board, leaving them wondering whether he was a shipowner or an oilman. Or both.
He died at the age of 35, following the "live fast, die young" motto to a tee.
Every time I spray some of this short-lived quirky little gem on me, I feel like I'm ready to enter a bank along with him and run with the money.
And on a sunny, yet frigid January morning some years ago, vintage Insensé on a paper strip was one of the two best things I've ever smelled in my life.
Having the guts to do something just because you can, will always be a solid example of insolence yelled in the face of norms and poise. Insensé came and went unnoticed, scorned by the defenders of uber masculine fragrances, for it smelled like walking in a forest in early spring or late winter, while holding a bunch of blue flowers in one hand. The fact that a rifle was in the other didn't seem to be in its favour. All the more that it was not there for hunting.
A brave little soul, which left its gentle mark by the pen, in a world echoing with the clang of swords and the roar of faddish waves. And despite its failure to smoothly conquer it, it will always be acknowledged for its gallantry and whim.
For it did. And they didn't...

Masterpiece!
Insensé is one of the many fragrances I shamefully underrated for a long time, I guess for my lack of experience and proper taste. I always misjudged this in the past, always trying it quickly from samples or decants, and always ending up in considering it only a really nice albeit a bit boring and kind of heavy sort of “overly feminine fougère”; I am really glad I grabbed a deal recently and got a small 30 ml bottle of this some days ago, so that I had the chance to wear this at its fullest and give it a proper chance. And I got, as they say, a true “epiphany” about this – from mild enthusiasm to sudden devoted worshipping. It is indeed the hyped masterpiece many rave about, and the hype is fully justified. Actually, no, it even gets way less hype than it should. For me, Insensé has now jumped straight on top of the – however limited – chart of the best floral fragrances for men ever made, because it is hands down one of the best, if not the best one ever. And easily among the best masculine offerings in general ever made. Luca Turin once mentioned two key features of this, which perfectly reflect what I also strongly felt while full wearing this the first time: “melancholy and mystery”. It is exactly how I also view Insensé: this a dramatically romantic, rich and slightly decadent scent which stunningly blends decades of masculine and feminine perfumery in an enigmatic, completely new, clever, breathtakingly creative and above all, irresistibly good unisex floral blend. Which indeed smells mysteriously “different” from anything else. Like a prism, it reflects echoes of perfumes ranging from Cristalle, to Diorella, to Caron’s 3rd Man.

The smell is complex but seamlessly beautiful: there is a rich heart symphony of green herbs and flowers refreshed by a subtle fruit-pine breeze, contrasting a deeply dark, smoky base accord of woods and aldehydes which provide “weight” and baroque gloominess to flowers and herbs. The overall feel is soapy, smoky, lightly waxy, aldehydic to the bone, floating between a nostalgic green-chypre powderiness and a fresher, more austere balsamic-woody feel of many classic fougères. Not simply a juxtaposition of different styles, just a true rewriting using selected key notes and accords from all those inspirations. It may sound simple or boring, it’s definitely not: as I said it’s truly a sort of triumphant gathering of decades of perfumery blending together to compose this incredibly handsome, unique mosaic. Distinctive, bracing and sophisticated in a quite peculiar, decadent way to say the least, probably also quite “gothic” to a certain extent: surely “not for the faint of heart”. Totally worthy the high prices. Leave that shitty niche boutique and save your money for this.

10/10

Gives me butterflies!
Spring is definitely here to stay. It might rain again eventually, but at this point, it would only be a summery rain. Its just monday, i have a trillion things to do, there is not, indeed, any particular reason to be happy but still i cannot but smile to the sunny day and i feel light, flirty and silly. The Insensé season is officially open.

Insensé became part of my life when i was 15 years old and it has been a beloved spring/summer constant ever since. If i own a fragance that is crazy, fun, romantic and extravagant, it is Insensé, like something a maniac scientist would create by mistake.

Take a big fat bouquet of spring flowers: magnolia, sheer iris, a touch of hyacinth maybe and the more dominant muget, wrapped in the shinny cellophane of aldehydes. A spark of bright citrus amplifies the heady effect of aldehydes; the refreshing touch of cool basil rounds this exhilarating opening, and you feel like high on infatuation.

So far, this could have perfectly been a ladylike fresh-green floral, but then, the cornerstone of Insensé is an odd but comforting balsam fir, that veers the fragance into the realms of the mysterious and reassuring. Curiouser and curiouser. Insensé cannot be understood without this ingredient that is both sweet and fresh. So, lets say, that healthy dose of spring flowers and aromatic herbs, comes through the sweet/balsamic notes of conifers and lentiscus, reminiscent of the night stroll in the woods of Nuit Etoilée, creating daring unsmelled accords.Happy,insolent, masculine, glorious!

AmberScentAmberScent 16 months ago
It's mainly floral and green although a bit balsamic as well. I should not like it but I do. I suppose the merit it's all due to Givenchy.

by MrFumejunkie
by TristanN
by Mdclx
by Mdclx
by Mustafa
Givenchy Insensé EdT, Version Les Mythiques Givenchy (2007 lanciert)
by Powershot
by Pigfarmer
by Michael
by Michael

Popular Givenchy

Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Vetyver by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (2007) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ambre Tigré by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Xeryus (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Xeryus Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Eau de Vetyver by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy Cologne by Givenchy