Pi 1999 Eau de Toilette

Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy
Bottle Design Serge Mansau
Pi (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Givenchy for men and was released in 1999. The scent is sweet-oriental. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Mandarin orangeMandarin orange Pine needlePine needle BenzoinBenzoin IronwoodIronwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 07.05.2022.

A Journey To Mars And Beyond
I am an elderly boy, and I belong to the generation that was 34 years old in 1998. I recollect Pi very well when it came out on the market. At that time, sweet-smelling perfumes weren’t my favourites, and Pi, in its original formulation, was intrusive, overwhelming, opulent. It belongs to those perfumes that fill the room you are in, and leave an immense trail around and behind you. It was intoxicating! I had smelled it for the first time on a colleague. It imbued the smallish room where we took the coffee with the smell of this resinous, honeyed, amber perfume. Although the bouquet teased me, I never bought it because I was afraid it might disgust me. So, I ignored it until a few years ago when I came across a convenient bottle. If I have never dared to buy the original, too powerful and offensive, the recent version is more graceful, yet the bouquet is as I remembered it.

Pi is one of the best resinous fragrances I know, very spicy and not too edible. And Pi is more than a name, it is a symbol. Most people associate the Greek symbol with the number got by dividing the circumference of a circle by its diameter, often shortened to figure 3.14, but it also means heaven in the Chinese idiom; and it is also the beginning of the noun pioneer. The reddish colour of the juice makes me think of Mars, the red planet par excellence, and I like to imagine the atmosphere of Mars that smells like this. A refined oriental and woody fragrance, the opening of Pi gives me a delicious powdery vanilla aura, with some light herbaceous notes of tarragon, rosemary and basil leaves. I get a blend of a fresh, light citrus scent, a tasty sweet note of tangerine and lemon, which lifts the opening without making it too tart. The initial burst is more aromatic than citrus, with green and floral undertones, plus medicinal and herbaceous, perhaps rosemary, pine needles and a hint of anise contribute to that sensation.

It has that slightly pungent flavour at first, but then the heart gets sweeter and spicier, with a hint of aniseed, sweet pelargonium, and mellifluous neroli. The central phase features a mysterious Infinium note, which I can’t find a trace of on the web no matter how hard I’ve tried. I perceive a kind of nutty undertone that oozes after the flavorful opening has subsided, presumably coming from the bitter almond.

But the best side lives in the dry-down. A strong woody aroma, which fuses dry cedar with ironwood, tons of resinous benzoin and a fairly evident note of vanilla and tonka. The latter is rich but quite refined and understated, fading gracefully. The output is like a warm bath of caramel, brown sugar and vanilla aromas that has a simply divine scent. To me, Pi is a benzoin bomb, more than a vanilla bomb. The dense trail it leaves behind is warm, waxy, tender and rubbery, like myrrh and other precious crystalline resins.

For me, this fragrance is perfect for the cold months of November to February, for winter days with grass covered in fairly crystallized morning dew with a beautiful sun shining, or for lively nights. Just like Obsession for Men Eau de Toilette which I love to wear at that time of year. With this reformulated release, I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and magnificent longevity on my skin. A true 90s perfume that is still relevant today. I like Pi’s modern composition, which is powerful without being overwhelming.

I base the review on a 100ml bottle I have owned since 2018.

-Elysium

Another unisex classic by Morillas
There was a period of time, between 1988 and 2000, when were launched many good fragrances that became classics and changed the perfumery. First aquatics, first gourmands, first unisex fragrances, more sweet ambery fragrances... they all came during that time.

The first unisex marketed fragrance was CK One (1994), created by Morillas and Fremont. A fresh floral and musky scent that became a instant classic. In 1996, another one. This time, a fresh aquatic masculine. Acqua di Giò. Morillas was, again, one of the perfumers. In 98, he came out with this idea for Givenchy. A unisex woody amber scent that became another classic and more around women, actually. They adopted this masculine scent that, at the time, was a bit too sweet for a regular guy, I'd guess. At the time, we were experiencing a change of perspective. The rise of woody spicy and sweet ambery masculines. This helped the popularity of that category. Women wanted their boyfriends to smell like this so they could steal it sometimes. Although Joop! Homme (1989) was maybe the first going sickly sweet, this has more fluffy elements that captivate women.

Looking for the marketing and bottle, everything seems weird. Even the pyramid is a bit weird. Ironwood and Infinium?? (I still can't find what it's supposed to smell like). The smell itself is much more easy to understand. What we find here is, mainly, a sweet benzoin driven scent with mandarin orange on top. There's a lot of base notes and sweetness (but not the contemporary sweetness) which makes this fragrance very linear. There's a hint of freshness in the opening, with the mandarin orange, but the overall experience is very monochordic. Coumarin and benzoin which translates to sweet almonds. That's it. But smells really good. It's like a warm hug. Luca Turin wasn't a fan at all but I find it quite alluring and different from what we see today. An appealing sweet scent that isn't cloying or ultra cheap smelling like many recent fragrances.

Definitely for fall and winter, for a cooler or/and rainy day. I have a vintage bottle with a small Pi logo on the bottom of the bottle and the performance is great. 12+ hours easily. Very persistent. The newer batches aren't that strong but I think you'll still have decent performance with them. The smell is basically the same, since it's essentially benzoin and coumarin.

Alberto Morillas is a really good perfumer and you have many different examples that proves that. This might not be his top 10 best creations, but is surely a classic, an alluring and appealing scent, and a must try! A great unisex scent that is been forgotten over the years by youtubers and bloggers.

4/5

A very nice smooth vanilla based Alberto Morillas fragrance
A very nice smooth vanilla based Alberto Morillas fragrance that lasts a good 8hrs is liked by most especially women. i've been told mmm you do smell sexy with this frag.
Handle with care...lol
Pi by Givenchy is a Amber Woody fragrance for men. Pi was launched in 1998. The nose behind this fragrance is Alberto Morillas. Top notes are Mandarin Orange, Tarragon, Rosemary and Basil; middle notes are Anise, Neroli, Geranium and Lily-of-the-Valley; base notes are Vanilla, Almond, Tonka Bean, Benzoin and Cedar.

Good sweet sensual
I like this storic perfume Givenchy Pi. It's not very complex and it's not hard to understand. It's a sweet, a so sweet eau de toilette with no high concentration, that will make you seducent and interesting. You can feel mostly that sweet honey and vanilla, light almond and anise, and nearly many light aromatic notes. This perfume isn't one of best for longevity, but for his little price is good (now it's possible to find 50ml for about 35 dollars).
After 2 or 3 hours will be only an elegant soft skin scent, but always nice. I generally don't like almond because I think it is the sweet note with more risk to become nauseating, but in Givenchy Pi it isn't too much, also thanks to balsamic benzoin and a good balance with floreal notes. Need to like a sweet fragrances, because it is.
Sweet seduction
The scent is really unique from start to finish. The sweetness at the beginning I have not smelled so yet. In the drydown it is somehow oriental sweet without really being too intrusive or spicy.... for me, the fragrance is really super good. He keeps with me about 3h present, then discreet. I take so 5 sprays. Would see him as a sweet fragrance for an evening by candlelight and recommend.
Compatibility issues
Alberto and me, it's a thing. With the exception of my beloved Vétiver d'Hivèr by Armani Privé, I usually can't do much with his fragrances. Very few of them I find directly bad, but there are usually so tiny disturbing factors, which is why I just do not find a real access to the fragrances. Yes, I think we are simply not compatible. There should be yes also with fragrances.

Today experienced again with the wonderful Pi. Yesterday evening the first time sniffed the spray head. Mmmmh, great! A fragrance from the late nineties. I smelled echoes of the recently reviewed by me Hot Road, the whole only a little sweeter and softer. Mmm. Could be something. Had already played with the idea to get this fragrance, which is also absolutely affordable in price, to my better half.

This morning he was then allowed the first time on my skin and the start was divine. A wonderful Oriental, typical for this time, in which my fragrance-faible really blossomed. There were spices that gave a nice edge to the scent, which comes across quite sweet right from the start. Plus a slightly fresh note and a few florals. My beloved anise (yes, I like it!!) could be found and I also liked the rose geranium here, although again in combination with the tonka bean. Yes, if a fragrance is done really well, this can work and then nothing bites.

So far, so good. The longer is this Morillas on the back of the hand had, the more the edge withdrew. Remains hintenraus unfortunately almost only the tonka bean as such. And then it makes me sometime no more fun. Tonka pure just doesn't suit me. A little almond here and there still supports, but the rest sinks little by little in the tonka monotony. Too bad that could have been so good.

In summary, I must note that this fragrance has convinced me in the end but much more than all the tonka bombs, which are funny all declared for men, which were thrown in recent years in masses on the market. For me, this kind of fragrance is rather unisex anyway, but I don't need to tell you that. Yes, it has its charms all things considered. And was certainly quite great as a vintage.

Very much to be desired leaves the durability. With this I do not need Mr. Polly to come at all. Very quickly falls with him a fragrance namely as "weak" through and then he wants him not at all.
Well, Alberto. What can I say? The two of us, it just works out too rarely.

Many thanks to Bastian for the test opportunity.

Surprisingly Unisex
I know this perfume is marketed towards men, but it smells wonderful on me. It’s warm and comforting, cozy and rich. I love it.
My husband also likes it, so we’ve been sharing our sample bottle until we’re at the point of purchasing a large bottle.

The almond rules here, all the way, with hints of citrus and vanilla. It smells heavenly, like a cookie or other baked goods.

Stellar longevity and projection. It’s a big winner in my book!

Edited: I caved and bought a full size bottle. My husband absolutely loves this fragrance. What a great buy!
Spitzbub
Can I have another shot of amaretto?
The fragrance has only recently entered my small collection and is now part of the "family".

Pi is a really nice scent. I now had a few days to test it and make a first judgement. As I said, a nice aromatic scent and a winter grenade. Especially this almond note is very present and gives me pictures from a Christmas bakery.

Well, there's a little mulled wine stand there too ;) But I really like Pi. The spicy aromas paired with a subtle sweetness but also a strong finish are great. Even in the office I didn't find the scent "To Much" and my colleagues also liked it.

I think all in all it is a great winter scent for a fair price. The durability and the fragrance are in my eyes above average. Even the Sillage is TipTop and the bottle is something different and really successful.
Poldinchen1
Psssssst again - a fragrance that women also fall in love with...
What a beautiful smell! I recently discovered it, completely neglected, in the bottom row of a perfumery shelf. Directly adjacent to the women's fragrances, and very appealing from the design of the bottle, I would never have thought that this fragrance was male-dominated, unisex at most. A beautiful and valuable bottle that makes me curious, together with the mysterious name. Beginning slightly citric, this fragrance develops a wonderful oriental warmth, always discreet, never exuberant, in my opinion hardly sweet, rather gently spicy oriental, wonderful for the colder season, but due to the citric opening also a year-round candidate, equipped with the predicate "suitability for everyday use". Suitable for everyday use due to its discreet sillage, in my opinion very harmonious and with vintage character, far away from the modern seal-tearers (sweet-fruity fairground bobon hits...), I am thrilled!
GivenchyPi
One of my favorite scents
A very round, soft, warm, slightly sweet and oriental fragrance with a slightly Christmas scent.

Vanilla, almond and some tonka bean dominate over the entire course.

Initially, when sniffing very carefully, herbs such as basil and tarragon, as well as tangerine are only very slightly perceptible. Very nice I find that these herbs are not very dominant and therefore harmonize perfectly with the oriental base notes. Therefore the fragrance keeps its round, warm character throughout.

The sweetness is present throughout, but fortunately has only a light character.

In my opinion, Givenchy Pi uses good quality essences, which is why the fragrance stands out from the mainstream.

The bottle looks really great. The colour of the liquid simply matches the fragrance perfectly.

Now to the negative sides.
It is very pleasant for me that it is not a pungent scent, but in my opinion the sillage is much too low. The scent is almost not noticeable by other people, as long as you don't spray yourself extremely with it or the person outside explicitly smells it. But I am not someone who wants to smell extremely strong. But that is simply too easy. That makes the scent in my eyes relatively expensive, because the 100 ml for over 90€ will not last very long.

Moreover, the fragrance does not last very long. After about 3-4 hours the scent is hardly noticeable.

All in all, it is a mad scent, but its performance is not good enough. Despite its weaknesses, it is one of my favourite scents. Perfect for winter, combined with beige-brown winter clothes. :)

ScentwitchScentwitch 5 months ago
Completely unisex. I share a bottle with my husband and it smells slightly different on us both.
RamonkuRamonku 8 months ago
It smells like a cake shop with that mix of sweet scents: vanilla, anis, almond, sugar, lemon, mandarin. Yet not overwhelming sweet.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 2 years ago
Pi is sweet, Pi is delicate, Pi is linear but Pi is great. A Vanilla scent with soft florals and almond/tonka base. Get the vintage one! 4/5
Jazzy76Jazzy76 2 years ago
A wonderful aniseed-almond combo perfect on my feminine skin too. Good sillage. I love it!
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
I have never dared to buy the original, too powerful and offensive. The recent version is more graceful, yet the bouquet is as I remembered.
KimJongKimJong 2 years ago
For me this is the standard of masculine vanilla. It's been taken out every winter for almost 20 years. Easy and popular but never boring.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
I recommend this EDT only to lovers of very sweet oriental scents. If that's your case, then you've just found happiness in a bottle.

by Andreas09
by Andreas09
by Wiesel132
für fresh Verschleiß/...neulich am Leitpfosten..
by Timmama
by Badh3ad
by Thecombad
by Thecombad

Popular by Givenchy

Gentleman Givenchy Réserve Privée by Givenchy L'Interdit (2021) (Eau de Parfum Rouge) by Givenchy Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2020) (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Vetyver by Givenchy Givenchy III (2007) by Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy Cologne by Givenchy