Pi (1999) Eau de Toilette

Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy
Bottle Design: Serge Mansau

Pi (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Givenchy for men and was released in 1999. The scent is sweet-oriental. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesAromatic notes, Basil, Blossoms, Tarragon, Green notes, Mandarin, Rosemary, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesAniseed, Geranium, Lily-of-the-valley, Neroli
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoin, Brown sugar, Almond, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 14.03.2019

9.0 5.0 8.0 9.5/10
Chrisdl
No Pi in sky, but rather genuine coziness.
On a cozy winter evening, while waiting for the kids to go to bed so that we can prepare the house for Santa Claus, we're enjoying a glass of spicy gluhwein and nibbling on a piece of marzipan. The mellow scent of a hot pie freshly from the oven wafts in through the kitchen door.

Admittedly, you'll need to crawl close together to enjoy the other pie in the room, Givenchy Pi, especially if it's not of the vintage variety. However, it doesn't matter because any excuse to huddle together with my love is good enough in my book. A nose in your neck, a cheek against your arm. Not at the same time, obviously. I'm monogamous by choice, you know. But I digress. Suffice it to say that Pi is romance in a bottle. Provided that you like sweetish, spicy-ish, marzipanish pie. I mean, Pi.

The beautiful design of the vial smartly refers to the trigonometry indicated by its name. Recommended!
9.0 5.0 5.0 8.0/10
SchatzSucher
Small delicacy with big weaknesses
I've been cold-shouldering Pi of Givenchy for years. He's been in the perfumeries for almost 20 years now and Givenchy have been producing some very nice fragrances which are also in my possession.
He has not been advertised extensively for a long time and in the shops he is now a little further down and is no longer immediately noticeable.
I'm not averse to the scent either. And with Pi, the "dessert aspect" doesn't come to the fore as much as with some other gourmand fragrances. Pi is a rather soft and quiet fragrance with a delicious marzipan note.

Now Pi found his way to me about 4 years ago and since then I like to wear him especially in the colder season. I think he needs temperatures below +10 degrees to really come into his own. There's something warming and flattering about him I myself always feel a little more comfortable in the cooler season than in summer. This is not to say that I start swearing when the thermometer reads 30 degrees or more. I then only screw in my activities.
But now I am more in my element again and here in the north there have been one or two autumn storms.
So it's time to push the summer citrus fresheners, aquatics and greens further back and bring out the woods, orientals and sweet beaks.

In my opinion Pi is very well balanced, aromatic and green notes, which are not defined in more detail, open the fragrance, together with some herbs, which are also not too clear to smell. I only perceive citrus very weakly.
The heart note seems to mix with the base immediately, because after a short time Pi sets itself something and the marzipan note comes out quite clearly. For me, this is an enriched marzipan, with vanilla, some sugar and floral notes, but everything is very fine and unobtrusive.
Some wood I think I still perceive distant.
However, the fragrance as a whole does not go through too remarkable a course, the ingredients are beautifully coordinated and complement each other very well. One is almost tempted to nibble on oneself because the marzipan note is so delicious ;-D
This unobtrusiveness makes Pi a pleasant everyday companion, as he does not slay the surroundings with sweeping scent clouds.
The bottle is a beautiful eye-catcher. I find the idea with the bracket over the spray head quite successful.
The bottle still lies well in the hand at the 100ml size and the sprayer is also worked very well
But unfortunately there is also a big shortcoming regarding durability and projection.
Unfortunately, Pi is very dimmed there. Since I only know the current version, I cannot compare it with the original version. But it should have been much more persevering and stronger. I've already read this here several times in comments and statements.
One could almost claim that the shelf life does not exceed the period corresponding to the number Pi, and that one is no longer perceived within a radius of 3.141...m.
Unfortunately I can confirm that, I sprayed Pi this morning around 9:00 and hardly noticed anything after 12:00. On the skin not at all, on the clothes still a little.
This is very unfortunate, as the price-performance ratio is not exactly in a good light. Because overly cheap Pi is not actually.
At the same time I bought the Pi Extreme a little later, which is very similar to the original Pi, but holds better. The description fits almost 1:1 also to the.

I don't know if I'll buy Pi again when the 100 ml bottle is empty. For now I like it well, but the meagre durability rather speaks against it. For fans of this fragrance I can basically recommend it, but you should be ready to spray it quite quickly.
3.0 7.0 7.0 7.5/10
A fine start
Starts amazingly unsweet, densely woven herbs to perceive my tarragon in the foreground, acidic. Increasingly sweet, wonderful moment of herbaceousness with marzipan note in the background. Marzipan, vanilla and sweetness increase even more, I still like it astonishingly, although I can't stand so much sugar and vanilla. It resonates with something discreetly animalistic, sexy. I perceive indicated heart notes only delicately and subtly.
After half an hour the fun is unfortunately over for me. A hint of soft unresinous cedar and powder has been added, the back is too sweet-gourmandig-harmonic for me. Sillage at arm's length, rather heavy and sultry... All in all, however, a fragrance that I feel has been made to a high standard.
9.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10
The right math for PI
I own more than a couple of perfumes by Givenchy. It is quite clear for me that the one I like the best is Gentleman (old version). Pi is a type of perfume that is a bit overly sweet for me. On the other hand it's clearly one of my perfums that attracts a load of compliments - way more than Givenchy Gentleman.
Some characteristics are common to different products of this designer:
- Many of its perfumes are top sellers.
- Usually their quality is above average.
- Givenchy fragrances is often compared with Gucci's. (I wonder why?)

PI is the best seller of Givenchy and its quality is above average. The flask is very nice - my opinion - although some people consider it tacky. The juice has quite a beautiful amber colour. The sprayer is very good and the protection ring is handy. I haven't any complaints in what regards its presentation. I just don't have a definite opinion on the juice itself.

The nose behind it is Alberto Morillas. I have a an opinion about him and his creations. Mr. Morillas is one the leading perfumists in this industry. His fragrances are very pleasant, his scents tend to have a fresh opening, the drydowns are very good and the performance is usualy bellow average.
With PI I get less freshness than it's usual with other Morillas fragrances and globally this fragrance is way sweeter than what is his usual sweetnesses. The performance is above average (unusual as well) and the drydown gives you a long experience of sugar + almond + vanilla + tonka + benzoin, giving this cologne one of the sweetest drydowns in my shelf if not the sweetest. But it's a feminine sweetness totally different from Gaultier's Ultra Male or Zara's Gourmand Leather more manly sweetnesses. It's not comparable as well with "la gourmandise" from Rochas Man with its cappuccino gourmand strong note.
In my opinion this fragrance is a unisex one, but leaning to the feminine side, and I would like it to have a more manly projection with birch in the second stage and bottom notes with either a stronger cedar or sandalwood or even guayac wood or oud. But I am not a perfumist and probably the fragrance would be tottaly unbalanced with my suggestion. I don't have any doubts that Mr. Morillas knows better.

So why did I buy it? I could not resist to the buying impulse after hearing half a dozain ladies comments in the space of five minutes at Sephora. The comments were preety explicit on how this EDT is pleasant, sexy, manly, irresistable, alluring and with no match.
Later at home I could confirm it with my wife and daughter. They just called it extraordinary and my daughter even asked me if she could use it.
That's good enough for me.

Let's confirm my right math for PI:
Scent opening: 8.0 (my judgement)
Scent dry down: 8.0 (my judgement)
Longevity: 8.5 (10+ hours)
Sillage: 8.0 (6 feet at its peak. It projects for 2~3 hours.)
Uniqueness: 9.0 (I feel that it's not unique but I am not aware of any fragrance similar to PI)
Usability: 7.5 ( If you use it in the summer you will be arrested for bad citizenship. Use it in cold or mild to cold weather, either day or night.)
Versatility: 8.0 (If you feel confortable with a sweet oriental woody fragrance you may well use it almost everywhere provided that you don't overspray. It is an excelent fragrance for clubbing as well a ladies compliments getter. Exceptions: formal events + beach + workout + activities where you may sweat).
Quality: 9.0 (great)
Presentation: 9.5 (looks really good in any shelf. Some people judge it tacky but I don't)
Price: 7.0 (37 Euros plus taxes and shipping; not bad for a Givenchy top seller)

Average Rating: 8.25/10,0
- between 7 and 8 =above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recomended;
- bigger than 9 = don't miss it;
Will I buy it again? Probably not, although I am curious about trying PI intense.
I only recomend this EDT to people who really like sweet oriental fragrances.
9.0 7.0 8.0 7.0/10
Divine
The perception of smell is a matter of personal preferences, and Pi is a great example. Luca Turin rated Pi as one star fragrance, while I found Pi one of the best smelling scents ever. I even like the astronaut campaign, symbolizing human perpetual search for divine, for perfection. The golden ratio.
This is a sublime, elegant and very soft scent. Liquid gold as the constant soft force. Pale and flat mandarin fruit, followed by almonds, benzoin, soft flowers and lots of caramelized vanilla. Although marketed towards men, it is easily unisex. Divine is not gender biased.
The last big Givenchy.

Rating: 7.5/10
7.5 7.5 7.5 7.0/10
Creamy almond
PI is a really nice unisex fragrance.
The creamy almond unfolds itself confidently and strong. After testing I was quite surprised to read about such loads of notes, and a real fragrance pyramid. The only change showed by PI to me was a slender pepper and a lightsome smokyness coming from cedar note, but nothing else happened - and I was not sad that PI continued to be the original pride cloud of almond. Kind, comforting scent what gives me strength and peace.
7.5 5.0 5.0 5.0/10
Not what I had expected
Honestly, I didn´t like it as much as I thought I would do after reading all the positive reviews about it. It was not as creamy as I had hoped for. It´s sweet on the nose but I can feel that the green notes take the most space. Now I know that tarragon and rosemary are not my favorite ingredients in a perfume. Despite what I have written, I think it's OK but it's not for me and my skin.
The bottle is great, very interesting design.
7.5 5.0 7.5 6.0/10
Miaw2
Comforting almonds and vanilla!
Givenchy PI was my signature scent for over an year when it was launched.

I detect mostly vanilla with almonds that's very creamy and well blended.

It's a delicious gourmand. Actually it's a well balanced vanilla-based composition that's not cloying.

Sillage and projection are average while lasting power is around 8 hours.

Well, i guess it's time to buy it again. Thumbs up!

Updated January 2014
7.5 7.5 6.0/10
Syrupy sweet vanilla for men
I'll start by saying that I'm the kind of girl that likes natural smells, particularly scents like tobacco, cedar, smoke and leather on her men. Occasionally I enjoy some sweet colognes, but it is very rare when I do.

Pi is a little too sweet in my opinion. To my nose, it smells like caramelised vanilla and musk.

I am somewhat disappointed seeming that so many women rave about this particular fragrance on their partners. I can appreciate the scent for what it is, but I can't say, from a female's perspective, that I find it very appealing.

It's almost gourmand in its approach. Perhaps it is a masculine version of Tocade by Rochas. Whatever it reminds me of, it makes a good choice for wear in the colder months due to its vanillary warmth.

I'm surprised to see its release date as being 1998, I would have thought it was a much more modern release, at least something brought about in the last few years. However I understand that the whole concept is supposed to be futuristic.

Pi is very much open to personal opinion. You'll either love it or hate it. I don't detest it, nor would I run from it, however I wouldn't run towards its wearer either.

Carlitos01 17 days ago
I only recomend this EDT to people who really like sweet oriental fragrances. If that is your case, you found an excellent fragrance.+1
9.0

by Bradigow
by Thecombad
by Thecombad

Popular Givenchy

Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Dahlia Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Xeryus Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Dahlia Divin (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Very Irrésistible Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ange ou Démon Le Secret (Eau de Parfum) / Ange ou Étrange Le Secret by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Very Irrésistible Givenchy for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Play (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy