Pi 1999Eau de Toilette

Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy
Bottle Design Serge Mansau
Pi (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Givenchy for men and was released in 1999. The scent is sweet-oriental. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesAromatic notes, Basil, Blossoms, Tarragon, Green notes, Mandarin orange, Rosemary, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesAniseed, Geranium, Lily of the valley, Neroli
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoin, Brown sugar, Almond, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 09.04.2021.

Compatibility issues
Alberto and me, it's a thing. With the exception of my beloved Vétiver d'Hivèr by Armani Privé, I usually can't do much with his fragrances. Very few of them I find directly bad, but there are usually so tiny disturbing factors, which is why I just do not find a real access to the fragrances. Yes, I think we are simply not compatible. There should be yes also with fragrances.

Today experienced again with the wonderful Pi. Yesterday evening the first time sniffed the spray head. Mmmmh, great! A fragrance from the late nineties. I smelled echoes of the recently reviewed by me Hot Road, the whole only a little sweeter and softer. Mmm. Could be something. Had already played with the idea to get this fragrance, which is also absolutely affordable in price, to my better half.

This morning he was then allowed the first time on my skin and the start was divine. A wonderful Oriental, typical for this time, in which my fragrance-faible really blossomed. There were spices that gave a nice edge to the scent, which comes across quite sweet right from the start. Plus a slightly fresh note and a few florals. My beloved anise (yes, I like it!!) could be found and I also liked the rose geranium here, although again in combination with the tonka bean. Yes, if a fragrance is done really well, this can work and then nothing bites.

So far, so good. The longer is this Morillas on the back of the hand had, the more the edge withdrew. Remains hintenraus unfortunately almost only the tonka bean as such. And then it makes me sometime no more fun. Tonka pure just doesn't suit me. A little almond here and there still supports, but the rest sinks little by little in the tonka monotony. Too bad that could have been so good.

In summary, I must note that this fragrance has convinced me in the end but much more than all the tonka bombs, which are funny all declared for men, which were thrown in recent years in masses on the market. For me, this kind of fragrance is rather unisex anyway, but I don't need to tell you that. Yes, it has its charms all things considered. And was certainly quite great as a vintage.

Very much to be desired leaves the durability. With this I do not need Mr. Polly to come at all. Very quickly falls with him a fragrance namely as "weak" through and then he wants him not at all.
Well, Alberto. What can I say? The two of us, it just works out too rarely.

Many thanks to Bastian for the test opportunity.

Surprisingly Unisex
I know this perfume is marketed towards men, but it smells wonderful on me. It’s warm and comforting, cozy and rich. I love it.
My husband also likes it, so we’ve been sharing our sample bottle until we’re at the point of purchasing a large bottle.

The almond rules here, all the way, with hints of citrus and vanilla. It smells heavenly, like a cookie or other baked goods.

Stellar longevity and projection. It’s a big winner in my book!

Edited: I caved and bought a full size bottle. My husband absolutely loves this fragrance. What a great buy!
Spitzbub
Can I have another shot of amaretto?
The fragrance has only recently entered my small collection and is now part of the "family".

Pi is a really nice scent. I now had a few days to test it and make a first judgement. As I said, a nice aromatic scent and a winter grenade. Especially this almond note is very present and gives me pictures from a Christmas bakery.

Well, there's a little mulled wine stand there too ;) But I really like Pi. The spicy aromas paired with a subtle sweetness but also a strong finish are great. Even in the office I didn't find the scent "To Much" and my colleagues also liked it.

I think all in all it is a great winter scent for a fair price. The durability and the fragrance are in my eyes above average. Even the Sillage is TipTop and the bottle is something different and really successful.
Poldinchen1
Psssssst again - a fragrance that women also fall in love with...
What a beautiful smell! I recently discovered it, completely neglected, in the bottom row of a perfumery shelf. Directly adjacent to the women's fragrances, and very appealing from the design of the bottle, I would never have thought that this fragrance was male-dominated, unisex at most. A beautiful and valuable bottle that makes me curious, together with the mysterious name. Beginning slightly citric, this fragrance develops a wonderful oriental warmth, always discreet, never exuberant, in my opinion hardly sweet, rather gently spicy oriental, wonderful for the colder season, but due to the citric opening also a year-round candidate, equipped with the predicate "suitability for everyday use". Suitable for everyday use due to its discreet sillage, in my opinion very harmonious and with vintage character, far away from the modern seal-tearers (sweet-fruity fairground bobon hits...), I am thrilled!
GivenchyPi
One of my favorite scents
A very round, soft, warm, slightly sweet and oriental fragrance with a slightly Christmas scent.

Vanilla, almond and some tonka bean dominate over the entire course.

Initially, when sniffing very carefully, herbs such as basil and tarragon, as well as tangerine are only very slightly perceptible. Very nice I find that these herbs are not very dominant and therefore harmonize perfectly with the oriental base notes. Therefore the fragrance keeps its round, warm character throughout.

The sweetness is present throughout, but fortunately has only a light character.

In my opinion, Givenchy Pi uses good quality essences, which is why the fragrance stands out from the mainstream.

The bottle looks really great. The colour of the liquid simply matches the fragrance perfectly.

Now to the negative sides.
It is very pleasant for me that it is not a pungent scent, but in my opinion the sillage is much too low. The scent is almost not noticeable by other people, as long as you don't spray yourself extremely with it or the person outside explicitly smells it. But I am not someone who wants to smell extremely strong. But that is simply too easy. That makes the scent in my eyes relatively expensive, because the 100 ml for over 90€ will not last very long.

Moreover, the fragrance does not last very long. After about 3-4 hours the scent is hardly noticeable.

All in all, it is a mad scent, but its performance is not good enough. Despite its weaknesses, it is one of my favourite scents. Perfect for winter, combined with beige-brown winter clothes. :)

Rquill67
Spicy vanilla aromatic - great for winter!
I absolutely love this fragrance. It's masculine, yet sweet for fall and winter. Would be great on a date night, or snuggling with your sweetie on a cold winter night in front of the fireplace. The opening is powdery and sweet, and then in the mid the florals open up, and in the dry down the powder becomes less so, the florals follows into the dry-down, and the sweetness from the vanilla and almond take over; leaving room for the woods and the spices. This is a fragrance I will buy again and keep for the rest of my life. I give this fragrance a 10/10. I highly recommend for any frag-head who likes sweet and masculine fragrances. This isn't a gourmand fragrance because it is spicy and aromatic. Try it... you'll like it!

Gatsby
Vanilla sky, long time ago. Vanilla bye,nowadays.
Long time ago, when I discovered this fragrance,it was a "wow" indeed. Even too feminine for.my taste, it was something different in the abundence of the 90s chypre and very masculine fragrances. A true compliment thief , very quality and well done. It is a Morillas embleme - very easy to feel his nose in the recipe. For 20 years I completely forgot PI and I tried now, moved by curiosity,in a mall. A mutilated and almost unrecognizeable fragrance,a pungent syntethic vanilla with some almound-cianotic vibe,burned plastic and candies. So sad this spectacular fragrance it looks now like Mickey Rourke im comparsion to his face 30 years ago... And not about the time, but the surgical disasters. Very disapointed about the re re re reformulation nowadays, almost shocked. Sillage so-so,longevity in the new formula about 3 hours on my skin.
Marzipan cookies and 3,14159265
I am not a man of many words, but I wanted to dedicate my first comment, my first fragrance.

As a small man, I don't think it's usual to be really interested in fragrances and look for their scents, or deal with them much. You pick up the next best perfume from the drugstore, or the Douglas in town, and wear it for years. At least that's the way it was for me with One Million and Invictus.

At some point, the time came when I started to spend a lot of time with my older cousin again (with us it's ups and downs - sometimes we meet for months, sometimes not for years). Anyway, I got to know him as a perfume enthusiast. I have to say that he very often changes his personality and therefore develops new interests. When we strolled through Frankfurt's city center in spring, he took me to a Douglas, because he wanted to show me his favorite fragrances. One of them was Givenchy Pi. I was rather bored, because at that time I didn't have a nose for sniffing through countless scents. But he insisted that I should spray Givenchy Pi on my wrist. No sooner said than done: he sprayed it on me generously and I sniffed at it carefully first. Since I didn't have such a strong sense of smell yet, I couldn't really assign all the ingredients because I was rather able to do everything at once. But still I liked it. For me it was a very noble smell, which I had never smelled before. Nevertheless, I somehow had an image of marzipan in my head - even today. When we were on our way home, I had to smell all the time on my wrist, because for me it was like a new world opened by this scent.

Once at home, the research began to find out what the scent contains. I noticed how versatile a perfume can be - from tangerine and lemon to almond, cedar and tonka bean. This is where my journey began - the search for THE perfume, which as we all know will never end.

A week later I asked my mother to buy me the perfume. Even though it was quite a high price for me at the time, I wanted it by all means. My mother agreed, because I was a teenager (15 years old), who was already satisfied with small things and had no big needs or wishes. I was beaming like a honey cake horse when I helped the scent in my hand and could wear it directly to the meeting with my friends.

But now enough history and to the actual topic:
The fragrance still reminds me strongly of marzipan, whether in the opening or in the drydown. This marzipan, becomes a robust character through the cedar and tonka beans. This character always brings me to a wooden hut in the forest, where you bake marzipan cookies and vanilla croissants with your grandmother on a winter evening. A very successful scent for me, which I still like to wear in winter when I stroll around the Christmas market. Perfectly rounded and the tangerine, almond and vanilla mixture goes very well together. I would almost say that you couldn't have put them together better, like in Givenchy Pi.

The durability is very good with me. It's not a beast that lasts 10+ hours, but 8 hours works well on my skin. The Sillage is also great in my opinion. I am still often asked about it at Christmas markets and we know that the perfume quickly sinks in with such crowds, but this one has been very successful with me
Disappointing
I bought the perfume because I remembered that I found it quite pleasant when trying it out in a perfumery.

During the first spraying in the room I was surprised to discover that I could hardly smell any of it. On the skin it was then a little bit better to perceive, but never really strong. I liked the smell, but also had a direct association to it, which I could only assign a few hours later. Namely: Labello. In my opinion, Givenchy Pi, at least as long as the top note is still present, smells just like the classic ,dark blue, lip care stick of the brand mentioned.
And don't get me wrong: I find the fragrance pleasant, even if the association was surprising at first. So it is not the fragrance character that disappoints me. But it is the virtually non-existent silage and the really poor durability. After three hours at the latest, the perfume is no longer perceptible, unless you sniff very carefully at exactly the spot where you sprayed it on. So unfortunately the performance is underground.

I was quite surprised, because I looked at the perfume ratings of the fragrance before I bought it, and it scored well in terms of sillage and durability. Personally, I can only explain that it must have been reformulated at some point. Otherwise it would really be a mystery to me how it comes to such good opinions.

Pity. Because of the bad performance, only use it at home when I feel like using it for 2-3 hours (unfortunately it doesn't last longer)
RedVanilla
Shhh! Women like marzipan too!
Switched sides on a secret mission. For once totally inconspicuously over to the men's fragrances and caught on the beautiful bottle of Pi. So this one is an absolute eye candy and so beautiful to look at. Get your nose ready and get to the test.

The fragrance starts out sooooo deliciously almond-like, but the green notes (whatever that is supposed to be) leave a very fresh impression. Like mowing grass in the morning sun. The lemon and tangerine also help to make you think less about dessert. As is almost always the case with citrus fruits, these too will soon be gone, but first they will help the floral components to take off, which still harmonises well with the GREEN NOTES! Now Vanilla and Tonka are coming over to join in. Which is almost always a must with a good gourmet fragrance. But what is this? Oh, the musty cedar. What are you doing here? But now my nose finds this disturbing for the overall impression. Note to self: You are definitely not a cedar friend!

Conclusion: For me, this is clearly a one-off. Woman finds a beautiful gourmet fragrance with a light forest note. I would find a man with this scent delicious (did I really just write that?). But now the coat collar is up and quickly sneaked away again.

HugoMontezHugoMontez 7 months ago
Pi is sweet, Pi is delicate, Pi is linear but Pi is great. A Vanilla scent with soft florals and almond/tonka base. Get the vintage one! 4/5
Jazzy76Jazzy76 10 months ago
A wonderful aniseed-almond combo perfect on my feminine skin too. Good sillage. I love it!
ElysiumElysium 1 year ago
I have never dared to buy the original, too powerful and offensive. The recent version is more graceful, yet the bouquet is as I remembered.
KimJongKimJong 1 year ago
For me this is the standard of masculine vanilla. It's been taken out every winter for almost 20 years. Easy and popular but never boring.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
I recommend this EDT only to lovers of very sweet oriental scents. If that's your case, then you've just found happiness in a bottle.

by Andreas09
by Andreas09
by Wiesel132
für fresh Verschleiß/...neulich am Leitpfosten..
by Timmama
Pi und Pi Neo von Givenchy
by Thecombad
by Thecombad

Popular Givenchy

Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Vetyver by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy III (2007) by Givenchy Xeryus (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2020) (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Givenchy Ambre Tigré by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Parfum) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy Cologne by Givenchy