Pi 1999Eau de Toilette

Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy
Bottle Design Serge Mansau
Pi (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Givenchy for men and was released in 1999. The scent is sweet-oriental. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesAromatic notes, Basil, Blossoms, Tarragon, Green notes, Mandarin orange, Rosemary, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesAniseed, Geranium, Lily-of-the-valley, Neroli
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoin, Brown sugar, Almond, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 18.10.2020.

GivenchyPi
One of my favorite scents
A very round, soft, warm, slightly sweet and oriental fragrance with a slightly Christmas scent.

Vanilla, almond and some tonka bean dominate over the entire course.

Initially, when sniffing very carefully, herbs such as basil and tarragon, as well as tangerine are only very slightly perceptible. Very nice I find that these herbs are not very dominant and therefore harmonize perfectly with the oriental base notes. Therefore the fragrance keeps its round, warm character throughout.

The sweetness is present throughout, but fortunately has only a light character.

In my opinion, Givenchy Pi uses good quality essences, which is why the fragrance stands out from the mainstream.

The bottle looks really great. The colour of the liquid simply matches the fragrance perfectly.

Now to the negative sides.
It is very pleasant for me that it is not a pungent scent, but in my opinion the sillage is much too low. The scent is almost not noticeable by other people, as long as you don't spray yourself extremely with it or the person outside explicitly smells it. But I am not someone who wants to smell extremely strong. But that is simply too easy. That makes the scent in my eyes relatively expensive, because the 100 ml for over 90€ will not last very long.

Moreover, the fragrance does not last very long. After about 3-4 hours the scent is hardly noticeable.

All in all, it is a mad scent, but its performance is not good enough. Despite its weaknesses, it is one of my favourite scents. Perfect for winter, combined with beige-brown winter clothes. :)

Rquill67
Spicy vanilla aromatic - great for winter!
I absolutely love this fragrance. It's masculine, yet sweet for fall and winter. Would be great on a date night, or snuggling with your sweetie on a cold winter night in front of the fireplace. The opening is powdery and sweet, and then in the mid the florals open up, and in the dry down the powder becomes less so, the florals follows into the dry-down, and the sweetness from the vanilla and almond take over; leaving room for the woods and the spices. This is a fragrance I will buy again and keep for the rest of my life. I give this fragrance a 10/10. I highly recommend for any frag-head who likes sweet and masculine fragrances. This isn't a gourmand fragrance because it is spicy and aromatic. Try it... you'll like it!

Gatsby
Vanilla sky, long time ago. Vanilla bye,nowadays.
Long time ago, when I discovered this fragrance,it was a "wow" indeed. Even too feminine for.my taste, it was something different in the abundence of the 90s chypre and very masculine fragrances. A true compliment thief , very quality and well done. It is a Morillas embleme - very easy to feel his nose in the recipe. For 20 years I completely forgot PI and I tried now, moved by curiosity,in a mall. A mutilated and almost unrecognizeable fragrance,a pungent syntethic vanilla with some almound-cianotic vibe,burned plastic and candies. So sad this spectacular fragrance it looks now like Mickey Rourke im comparsion to his face 30 years ago... And not about the time, but the surgical disasters. Very disapointed about the re re re reformulation nowadays, almost shocked. Sillage so-so,longevity in the new formula about 3 hours on my skin.
Marzipan cookies and 3,14159265
I am not a man of many words, but I wanted to dedicate my first comment, my first fragrance.

As a small man, I don't think it's usual to be really interested in fragrances and look for their scents, or deal with them much. You pick up the next best perfume from the drugstore, or the Douglas in town, and wear it for years. At least that's the way it was for me with One Million and Invictus.

At some point, the time came when I started to spend a lot of time with my older cousin again (with us it's ups and downs - sometimes we meet for months, sometimes not for years). Anyway, I got to know him as a perfume enthusiast. I have to say that he very often changes his personality and therefore develops new interests. When we strolled through Frankfurt's city center in spring, he took me to a Douglas, because he wanted to show me his favorite fragrances. One of them was Givenchy Pi. I was rather bored, because at that time I didn't have a nose for sniffing through countless scents. But he insisted that I should spray Givenchy Pi on my wrist. No sooner said than done: he sprayed it on me generously and I sniffed at it carefully first. Since I didn't have such a strong sense of smell yet, I couldn't really assign all the ingredients because I was rather able to do everything at once. But still I liked it. For me it was a very noble smell, which I had never smelled before. Nevertheless, I somehow had an image of marzipan in my head - even today. When we were on our way home, I had to smell all the time on my wrist, because for me it was like a new world opened by this scent.

Once at home, the research began to find out what the scent contains. I noticed how versatile a perfume can be - from tangerine and lemon to almond, cedar and tonka bean. This is where my journey began - the search for THE perfume, which as we all know will never end.

A week later I asked my mother to buy me the perfume. Even though it was quite a high price for me at the time, I wanted it by all means. My mother agreed, because I was a teenager (15 years old), who was already satisfied with small things and had no big needs or wishes. I was beaming like a honey cake horse when I helped the scent in my hand and could wear it directly to the meeting with my friends.

But now enough history and to the actual topic:
The fragrance still reminds me strongly of marzipan, whether in the opening or in the drydown. This marzipan, becomes a robust character through the cedar and tonka beans. This character always brings me to a wooden hut in the forest, where you bake marzipan cookies and vanilla croissants with your grandmother on a winter evening. A very successful scent for me, which I still like to wear in winter when I stroll around the Christmas market. Perfectly rounded and the tangerine, almond and vanilla mixture goes very well together. I would almost say that you couldn't have put them together better, like in Givenchy Pi.

The durability is very good with me. It's not a beast that lasts 10+ hours, but 8 hours works well on my skin. The Sillage is also great in my opinion. I am still often asked about it at Christmas markets and we know that the perfume quickly sinks in with such crowds, but this one has been very successful with me
Disappointing
I bought the perfume because I remembered that I found it quite pleasant when trying it out in a perfumery.

During the first spraying in the room I was surprised to discover that I could hardly smell any of it. On the skin it was then a little bit better to perceive, but never really strong. I liked the smell, but also had a direct association to it, which I could only assign a few hours later. Namely: Labello. In my opinion, Givenchy Pi, at least as long as the top note is still present, smells just like the classic ,dark blue, lip care stick of the brand mentioned.
And don't get me wrong: I find the fragrance pleasant, even if the association was surprising at first. So it is not the fragrance character that disappoints me. But it is the virtually non-existent silage and the really poor durability. After three hours at the latest, the perfume is no longer perceptible, unless you sniff very carefully at exactly the spot where you sprayed it on. So unfortunately the performance is underground.

I was quite surprised, because I looked at the perfume ratings of the fragrance before I bought it, and it scored well in terms of sillage and durability. Personally, I can only explain that it must have been reformulated at some point. Otherwise it would really be a mystery to me how it comes to such good opinions.

Pity. Because of the bad performance, only use it at home when I feel like using it for 2-3 hours (unfortunately it doesn't last longer)
RedVanilla
Shhh! Women like marzipan too!
Switched sides on a secret mission. For once totally inconspicuously over to the men's fragrances and caught on the beautiful bottle of Pi. So this one is an absolute eye candy and so beautiful to look at. Get your nose ready and get to the test.

The fragrance starts out sooooo deliciously almond-like, but the green notes (whatever that is supposed to be) leave a very fresh impression. Like mowing grass in the morning sun. The lemon and tangerine also help to make you think less about dessert. As is almost always the case with citrus fruits, these too will soon be gone, but first they will help the floral components to take off, which still harmonises well with the GREEN NOTES! Now Vanilla and Tonka are coming over to join in. Which is almost always a must with a good gourmet fragrance. But what is this? Oh, the musty cedar. What are you doing here? But now my nose finds this disturbing for the overall impression. Note to self: You are definitely not a cedar friend!

Conclusion: For me, this is clearly a one-off. Woman finds a beautiful gourmet fragrance with a light forest note. I would find a man with this scent delicious (did I really just write that?). But now the coat collar is up and quickly sneaked away again.
Manuel81
What a smell... if only he'd hold "a little" longer
2 years I am now already looking for the ultimate winter scent .
I have to say ...I like sweet / oriental / spicy peppery scents in the cold season, they may also quietly smell of Christmas .
From 2013 to 2017 Prada's LUNA ROSSA EXTREME was my favorite winter scent, until it was inexplicably removed from the program .
Since here in the rural area (Westerwald) perfumeries are rare sowed, I made many blind purchases the past years (this forum was very helpful).
The next big drugstore is about 40 minutes away by car, and about 2 weeks ago it was again so far .
3 fragrances I wanted to spray on myself ... Luna Rossa Black by Prada / Dior Homme intense & Spicebomb .
The Prada was to me honestly only too spicy / peppery ...Spicebomb too monotonously sweet ...and to the Homme of Dior I have no more memory .
And see there, for the first time I was glad that one of the nice ladies asked me if she could help .
After I had told her the story of the Luna Rossa Black, she instinctively reached into the shelf and sprayed me on the still free right forearm This scent on .
Luckily it was now time to leave the shop and let the scents develop in the fresh air (I can only recommend it to everyone!).
Already after about 15 minutes I caught myself smelling my right forearm again and again .....a good sign !
The Düft is summarized in short words ... Sweet / Oriental / slightly spicy with an intense bitter almond / marzipan / amaretto note ...I LOVE IT .
Strictly speaking, the shelf life is a good 7-8 hours, but after about 4-5 hours the tonka bean gets through quite well, and the fragrance actually only smells sweet & vanilla.
The Sillage is also good in the first 4 hours, but in my opinion not too grandiose.
That the fragrance is also suitable for women may be true, but for me, women's fragrances are first and foremost flowery/fruity, and that definitely does not apply to this fragrance.

Chrisdl
No Pi in sky, but rather genuine coziness.
On a cozy winter evening, while waiting for the kids to go to bed so that we can prepare the house for Santa Claus, we're enjoying a glass of spicy gluhwein and nibbling on a piece of marzipan. The mellow scent of a hot pie freshly from the oven wafts in through the kitchen door.

Admittedly, you'll need to crawl close together to enjoy the other pie in the room, Givenchy Pi, especially if it's not of the vintage variety. However, it doesn't matter because any excuse to huddle together with my love is good enough in my book. A nose in your neck, a cheek against your arm. Not at the same time, obviously. I'm monogamous by choice, you know. But I digress. Suffice it to say that Pi is romance in a bottle. Provided that you like sweetish, spicy-ish, marzipanish pie. I mean, Pi.

The beautiful design of the vial smartly refers to the trigonometry indicated by its name. Recommended!
SchatzSucher
Small delicacy with big weaknesses
I've been cold-shouldering Pi of Givenchy for years. He's been in the perfumeries for almost 20 years now and Givenchy have been producing some very nice fragrances which are also in my possession.
He has not been advertised extensively for a long time and in the shops he is now a little further down and is no longer immediately noticeable.
I'm not averse to the scent either. And with Pi, the "dessert aspect" doesn't come to the fore as much as with some other gourmand fragrances. Pi is a rather soft and quiet fragrance with a delicious marzipan note.

Now Pi found his way to me about 4 years ago and since then I like to wear him especially in the colder season. I think he needs temperatures below +10 degrees to really come into his own. There's something warming and flattering about him I myself always feel a little more comfortable in the cooler season than in summer. This is not to say that I start swearing when the thermometer reads 30 degrees or more. I then only screw in my activities.
But now I am more in my element again and here in the north there have been one or two autumn storms.
So it's time to push the summer citrus fresheners, aquatics and greens further back and bring out the woods, orientals and sweet beaks.

In my opinion Pi is very well balanced, aromatic and green notes, which are not defined in more detail, open the fragrance, together with some herbs, which are also not too clear to smell. I only perceive citrus very weakly.
The heart note seems to mix with the base immediately, because after a short time Pi sets itself something and the marzipan note comes out quite clearly. For me, this is an enriched marzipan, with vanilla, some sugar and floral notes, but everything is very fine and unobtrusive.
Some wood I think I still perceive distant.
However, the fragrance as a whole does not go through too remarkable a course, the ingredients are beautifully coordinated and complement each other very well. One is almost tempted to nibble on oneself because the marzipan note is so delicious ;-D
This unobtrusiveness makes Pi a pleasant everyday companion, as he does not slay the surroundings with sweeping scent clouds.
The bottle is a beautiful eye-catcher. I find the idea with the bracket over the spray head quite successful.
The bottle still lies well in the hand at the 100ml size and the sprayer is also worked very well
But unfortunately there is also a big shortcoming regarding durability and projection.
Unfortunately, Pi is very dimmed there. Since I only know the current version, I cannot compare it with the original version. But it should have been much more persevering and stronger. I've already read this here several times in comments and statements.
One could almost claim that the shelf life does not exceed the period corresponding to the number Pi, and that one is no longer perceived within a radius of 3.141...m.
Unfortunately I can confirm that, I sprayed Pi this morning around 9:00 and hardly noticed anything after 12:00. On the skin not at all, on the clothes still a little.
This is very unfortunate, as the price-performance ratio is not exactly in a good light. Because overly cheap Pi is not actually.
At the same time I bought the Pi Extreme a little later, which is very similar to the original Pi, but holds better. The description fits almost 1:1 also to the.

I don't know if I'll buy Pi again when the 100 ml bottle is empty. For now I like it well, but the meagre durability rather speaks against it. For fans of this fragrance I can basically recommend it, but you should be ready to spray it quite quickly.
A fine start
Starts amazingly unsweet, densely woven herbs to perceive my tarragon in the foreground, acidic. Increasingly sweet, wonderful moment of herbaceousness with marzipan note in the background. Marzipan, vanilla and sweetness increase even more, I still like it astonishingly, although I can't stand so much sugar and vanilla. It resonates with something discreetly animalistic, sexy. I perceive indicated heart notes only delicately and subtly.
After half an hour the fun is unfortunately over for me. A hint of soft unresinous cedar and powder has been added, the back is too sweet-gourmandig-harmonic for me. Sillage at arm's length, rather heavy and sultry... All in all, however, a fragrance that I feel has been made to a high standard.

HugoMontezHugoMontez 39 days ago
Pi is sweet, Pi is delicate, Pi is linear but Pi is great. A Vanilla scent with an almond/tonka impression. I have the vintage one, luckily.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 127 days ago
A wonderful aniseed-almond combo perfect on my feminine skin too. Good sillage. I love it!
ElysiumElysium 10 months ago
I have never dared to buy the original, too powerful and offensive. The recent version is more graceful, yet the bouquet is as I remembered.
KimJongKimJong 10 months ago
For me this is the standard of masculine vanilla. It's been taken out every winter for almost 20 years. Easy and popular but never boring.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 20 months ago
I recommend this EDT only to lovers of very sweet oriental scents. If that's your case, then you've just found happiness in a bottle.

by Andreas09
by Andreas09
by Wiesel132
für fresh Verschleiß/...neulich am Leitpfosten..
by Timmama
by Bradigow
by Thecombad
by Thecombad

Popular Givenchy

Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Vetyver by Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy III (2007) by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Xeryus (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Xeryus Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ambre Tigré by Givenchy Eau de Vetyver by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy Cologne by Givenchy