Play Intense 2008Eau de Toilette

Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy
Bottle Design Serge Mansau
Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Givenchy for men and was released in 2008. The scent is sweet-gourmand. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mandarin orange
Heart Notes Heart NotesAmyris, Pink pepper, Coffee blossom
Base Notes Base NotesVetiver, Labdanum, Patchouli, Tonka bean

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 27.09.2020.

The face of the advertising campaign is singer Justin Timberlake.

Amadea70
Declaration of love or confession?
My first men's scent was Hugo Boss One, followed by Azzaro (only for a short time) and then for a long time Lagerfeld and also Obsession I loved very much. As a young woman I was simply more into men's fragrances. I didn't want to smell sweet like everyone else, but good. Sure, they were partly sweet, but they also had something bitter. Only sweet was just not mine
Then came the time when, from today's perspective, I tried many scary scents: Angel, Casmir, Poison.......then some light Sun. I wouldn't wear that anymore. Then came Bogner Woman, who I also find very masculine, after that. Jil Sander No4, then Armani She and last but not least from Chanel the Coco. Now I had completely arrived at women's fragrances. Then came only Jungle from Kenzo.............

7 or 8 years ago, my partners at the time brought the Play Intense from somewhere. Shockingly in love! Unfortunately he kept it, how sad. And just staying together because of the scent would be stupid; Whenever I could, I sprayed it on myself - addicted.

I'm not trying to describe him here. This is like a confession. Even though I'm not even Catholic
I love this fragrance and I'm just happy when he's back with me. Item
Pressed and played
It is the year 2008, when the fragrance Givenchy Play Intense was under the Christmas tree. However, the gift was not meant for me, but for someone else. At that time I was a little younger and fragrances were only a minor matter for me, which was not considered further.
When going out I sprayed some perfume on myself from time to time, because that's what everybody does.

It was summer and I thought I'd try this Play Intense from my father, who doesn't use the fragrance anyway. Sprayed on, it unfolded a sweet impact that reminded me of caramelized cotton candy with black cherry. I was a bit confused what to think of it and enthusiasm didn't really spread. So the flacon was gathering dust in a cupboard until it was taken out again in winter 2019. Now, almost twelve years later, I've developed an interest in perfume, and I've been sampling the scents that were in the house (not many).

When I pressed the button this time, I immediately had these associations in my head again as described above, only now I perceived the composition differently. The sweetness didn't seem so sticky anymore and the opening has something balmy, but that disappears after a short time and gives way to a dark chocolate-like note. This dark-sweetish aura makes the fragrance very pleasant and desirable for me. The durability is really top and I can still smell the fragrance clearly on me after more than 6 hours.

However, I only use it in winter, because the summer heat pushes the sweetness too much into the nose, which can be a bit too much. Of course, I then had to find out that the fragrance is discontinued, which is why I will use this bottle (which has been bequeathed to me in the meantime) sparingly. The next winter is coming, then we will play intensively again.
Bernado77
The Godfather of adult Gourmand.
Fresh high-quality bergamot, fruity mandarin, tangy but still fruity, almost exotic vetiver, sweet but also slightly coffeey tonka bean, oriental heavy and intense patchouli, are really masterfully associated here, never does one of the scents come to the fore too much, but also none remains hidden and yes it is a gourmand, but one that I take seriously and not one of many, it is unique and has an independent vibe, which is really difficult with a gourmand scent, which has been in use since about a year. 8 years everyone tries to create a good gourmand, but this one exists since 2008, I hope he stays in the niche and he is spared the mainstream hype, because then he remains something like the Godfather of adult gourmands

Subdued gourmand
I will say this is a big improvement over it's father which to me smelled very flat. This adds more depth & feeling as I hoped it would since it is named intense! But if it were to compete against other gourmands in it's range I'd rank Play Intense dead last. It is not bad, but it is not great either. Spices, coffee, citrus, vanilla come rolled together to make a decent fragrance but one that will not stand out against it's competitors.

I find the longevity of this average, with low-medium silage. If your more into a subdued gourmand & not the heavier guys like A Men, Lolita Lempicka etc.. Give this a try. It gets a very balanced neutral from me.
5.5

Gentle Coffee
It opens with a citrus scent then dries down into a gentle spiced coffee scent. I would not say it smells really like coffee. In fact I haven't find something smells like real coffee in perfumes. But Play Intense does evoke an image of bitter coffee. It somehow also has an incense-like smell. I find it not very sweet, and clean. It's a versatile fragrance, not cloying sweet for summer and spicy enough for winter, day and night, unisex as well. That said, it still has its caracter. Its sillage is moderate and the longevity 7h+ on me.

Originally written in 2013.
2.5

GothicHeart
Playing with my nerves (intensely)...
If Givenchy Gentleman is a "Stairway to Heaven" (although a slightly begrimed one), then Play Intense is "What goes around...comes around". And it's just as alpha male as Justin Timberlake compared to Robert Plant. It's also like the difference between entering a mouldy basement rehearsal room and entering a noisy mall with a greater than usual ratio of patisseries and sweet shops. Yes, there's noise and smells in both places, but only one of them has the potential to make a legend out of them.

I don't know if that's the case with other countries too, but seeing samples delivered in cheap plastic sachets instead of glass phials (let alone miniature bottles) gets on my usually stolid nerves. Especially when they require a crowbar to be pried open. I guess that Justin's check swallowed all the glass available, just like those guys in sideshows of yore did. Or maybe it's just a hint that plastic is here to stay, slowly casting out all natural ingredients and burying them in polymer caskets.

Now, I DO NOT like so-called gourmands. Don't get me wrong, I love the smell of coffee and all these little pieces of heaven that usually come with a cup. It's just the fact I believe that the only people who should smell like candy are the ones exiting a candy workshop, and that coffee without the smell of smoke is like Bonnie without Clyde. And I don't really understand why a fragrance containing coffee and caramel is a gourmand, while one containing lemon and sage isn't. Did herbs and citruses ceased to be edible at some point?

Anyway, let's skip culinary debates and talk intensity and presence. Well, my take on playing intense goes like this.
I still use an antediluvian CEC turntable and a Wharfedale amplifier/receiver for listening to music when at home. They both come from the '70s, and despite being heavy, bulky and by no means portable, they're made of wood and metal and they have something that no iPod will ever have. Soul. They behave in the selfsame way that their contemporaneous fragrances used to do. By filling a room with their presence. Visually, acoustically and olfactorily. Yes people, music does have a smell. Or at least it used to. It's the smell of the vacuum tubes being heated, the smell of air perturbed by monstrous speakers, the smell of a brand new vinyl record, the smell of sweat mixed with notes. Like the smell that once rendered Givenchy a linchpin of the fragrance world. Like the smell which used to foreshadow that something serious was coming our way. Like the smell which assured us that a scent's ingredients were born in the fields an not in test tubes. Like the smell that my Givenchy Gentleman bottles from the '70s pack in shedloads. Like the smell that Play Intense is the farthest cry from smelling anything like it.

Play Intense von Givenchy
i dont find this fragrance particularly gourmandish instead it shows a good ambery wood aspect that i really like ,easy to wear in a man during the working days ,warm in the skin with good projection

Great chocolate!
Beautiful gourmand scent that definetely worth it.

Despite not being unique, it's recommended because it smells great, the price aint high and has an average projection and lasting power.

And yes, reminds a lot of Rochas Man.

And yes, i find this more balanced than the coffee of Bond's New Haarlem (and it costs 1/5 of its price).

Updated January 2014

Play Intense
For the longest time I avoided this cologne simply based on the fact that I hated the bottle it's in. I think it's immature looking and just plain ugly. A few weeks ago I went to a department store and was testing a lot of different colognes. The clerk was kind of pushy and was spraying a lot of samples on test strips that I didn't even ask to smell. None of them excited me until she sprayed this one. I can say that I was really shocked and surprised at how good the scent was compared to the bottle it was in. I just don't feel like the bottle is a good reflection of the delicious smelling cologne inside. I didn't buy it that day but the smell was good enough to make me think about the cologne until I decided I had to have it. I finally purchased it this week and all I can say is it's one of my favourites already. On the second day I wore it I had someone tell me how nice I smelled. I wish all of my colognes would get compliments like that but they don't. I can't stop sniffing myself when I have this one on. It just goes to show that you can never judge a book by it's cover!

Coffee vanilla blast
The smell is very good. coffee with vanilla rocks. But for me the longevity n projection is not that good. It stays 3 to 4 hours, projection is good for first 1 hour then it gets close to my skin.

AkuninAkunin 2 years ago
Manley , deep , warm . Good performance , really nice scent trail. Imho the best scent for first date . 10/10
HajuvanaHajuvana 5 years ago
Like smelling a block of chocolate through a rubber hose - genuinely as good (or bad) as it sounds.

by Mojtaba
by Honk1510
by Stardust
by Stardust

Popular Givenchy

Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Vetyver by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy III (2007) by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Xeryus (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Xeryus Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ambre Tigré by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy Cologne by Givenchy Ange ou Démon Le Secret Edition Riviera / Edition Croisière by Givenchy