Xeryus Rouge 1995 Eau de Toilette

Xeryus Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand
Xeryus Rouge (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Givenchy for men and was released in 1995. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Annick Ménardo

Top Notes Top NotesKumquatKumquat Green cactus
Heart Notes Heart NotesRed pepperRed pepper
Base Notes Base NotesCedarwoodCedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 21.05.2022.

Ahead of it's time
This red glass with that font type somehow suggests brutality, and made me curious, so I purchased it blindly.

Well...Xeryus Rouge is absolutely different from what I expected. Instead of a supermasculine scent, I got a very bracing fresh woody perfume.
The cactus note gives some bitter freshness, the pepper guarantees the spicyness, and the cedarwood is a perfect base.

Nothing special, an all-weather scent for every age. To me this scent is totally up-to-date, it easily could be marketed as a new release, see No Limit$ Plein Super Fre$h which is truly similar, bur Xeryus Rouge feels much more refined.

For 40€ that's a bargain especially if you are looking for another spring/summer scent, because you are f'ed up with the mainsteram. Absolutely recommended.

Art Deco brilliance
I was a teenager in the 1980s and by 1987 i started becoming interested in fragrances. I purchased many different kinds back in the day and the original Xeryus by Givenchy was one of my picks. I loved it and still do, although i refuse to buy the current formulation in the drab new bottle. Only the vintage art deco one will do. Now a few yrs later Givenchy comes out with Xeryus Rouge, an Amber Fougere fragrance launched in 1995. A warm and woody scent with very good longevity. A first time oriental by Givenchy. Annick Menardo is the nose behind the scenes and does a great job with it. Sadly these fougeres are becoming less and less important in modern perfumerie. No matter because 80% of the fragrances in my grooming arsenal are vintage. I search all over and sometimes pay hefty prices to get my hands on these discontinued or reformulated treasures. This item Xeryus Rouge is a very able flanker and it's easily in my top ten favorites.

Smellavision
Great business and casual scent...
Not dated, but not youthful either. As opposed to the club settings most people recommend this for, I find that it works excellently in serious business settings, meetings, negotiations etc. where it commands your fellow attendants to pay attention.

To describe it is hard, but the first thought that comes to mind is deep - indeed it is a deep scent with some exotic hint to it. The pimento, kumquat and geranium deliver a serious, but not austere feel that becomes a little sweeter over time. Some fruit and some woods. Also the pimento/red pepper/cayenne gives off a very warm vibe, which makes it ideally suited for colder winter days. Spicy, classy and with great performance. How they made it fruity and sweet, but never cloying or synthetic is a great piece of work. Very unique.

Maybe not a masterpiece, but a damn good scent composition by mrs. Menardo.
5.5
Zinobvlgari
Sticky sweetness in the oriental red twilight
I have a vintage miniature, very well preserved and after the test I have to say, somehow reminds me of another fragrance that I can't think of but unfortunately just not.
Unfortunately the top note is rather cheap. Too much sticky sweetsweet.
If you leave the scent strip one night, the big surprise comes in the morning.
Wow, full of the spice bomb in the oriental red twilight of an opium cave.
A crass mixture.
Very nice bottle, in red like the Evergreen XERYUS before in bluish-grey-metallica.
From the fragrance the red one does not come close to the first one.
Rating: Close to perfection
At least as far as I'm concerned. Xeryus rouge was one of those fragrances I bought when I had 1-3 fragrances at home and a bottle was running low. After it was emptied, I thought about the fragrance again and again, forgot it again, sprayed it on again while shopping etc. Recently, however, I realized where my fragrance journey was going, as I was slowly recognizing a pattern in my favorite fragrances which always returns. So is XR. After testing Revillon R and Coty Preffered Stock it became clear to me that all three fragrances start fresh and spicy and end in a woody base, one sweeter, the other less. As for the Xeryus Rouge, I like it one of the best in this 90s example trilogy. The most noteworthy here is in any case the opening with juicy cactus, fresh kumquat and the rose geranium from the heart note, which as always shows very early. Add the red pepper berry and musk notes. That's how scents are made! That still had hand and foot until the 90s...
Which fragrance I like I know now, if it weren't for the 70s and 80s which steal so many scents from the show.
Nevertheless, my focus is on the crashes of the 90s and I am curious what I will meet there!
Grandiose and masterful - Oriental for sweet refusers
There you can see that a good oriental fragrance does not necessarily have to be sweet. And that's exactly what makes Xeryus Rouge so unique. If you are looking for an oriental fragrance, you will often get a good portion of the oud resin put on your nose and often rounded off with a more or less loveless vanilla base note. Sometimes I have the feeling that when our fragrance composers can't think of anything else to ensure a longer shelf life, a little vanilla comes underneath and you write eau de parfum on it >> everything fine. This fragrance shows that vanilla is not necessarily needed for a legendary shelf life and sillage, and this as an eau de toilette.
A fragrance for all those who like the Oriental, but have their nose full of some sweet everyday fragrances in the truest sense of the word. 1 to 2 spray bursts and one experiences a true spice firework, which lasts a good 6 hours (summer) without becoming too intrusive. So you don't smell like spice musfa from the Baghdad market. In the end it becomes slightly sweetish, but is only very subtle (sandalwood). For my collection the fragrance is a beautiful new enrichment
Absolute Favourite
What do you want me to say? A fragrance that seems to split the community ... which is good, because XR stands for individuality since 1995! :-) Of course, I only discovered him for myself later, about 5 years ago. And yes: I can imagine that one (n) with it a little snarls, but I would smell him guaranteed from zig EDTs out. Ideal for my taste!

As always, I don't manage to decompose the fragrance into its individual components, but in its entirety XR convinces me with an animal fruitiness and flowery masculinity (if such a thing exists at all). I don't know of any other perfume product that smells like this and yet has something of everything: Freshness, spice, an exorbitant sillage and that special something that you just have to like and yet is completely suitable for everyday use!

Givenchy: Douze Points! ;-)

LicoriceRain
CACTUS flesh or ROTTING flesh?
Well, after giving Xeryus Rouge such a good review, I am back again. But THIS time, not so good. I thought I had found a new signature scent, but I was wrong. That raw (VERY raw) cactus flesh is a bit too much for me. (CACTUS flesh or ROTTING flesh?) I can certainly see why some people find XR disgusting. I find it almost tolerable on fabric, but definitely not on my skin. XR has gone from “love” to “dislike” in less than a month.

Unlike anything else
Very unusual scent (very unique). Smells different, in a good way. I find it suitable for a party cause i think that projects well and have a very good lasting power.

PROS:
- Good projection and lasting power.
- Unusual spicy smell

CONS:
- Underrated
- Not very "romantic"

I want this in my collection cause i think if one of the best of Givenchy and unlike anything else. If you are a fragrance collector or looking for some different scent, try this, can be a nice surprise.

Regards.

Exotic cactus
Very unique scent. In my opinion this is one of the best releases from Givenchy.

Fruity and spicy at the same time, it's actually hard to describe it.

Opens with a great cactus and kumquat notes layered over a peppery cedar base.
The little sweetness is in the right amount.

Sillage, lasting power and projection are high.

Definetely a must have and big thumbs up!

Updated January 2014

ChicoRoch1ChicoRoch1 7 months ago
Wonderful flanker
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 2 years ago
Initially sweet and juicy spicy-fruity, a rather unique, fresh and clean dry-spicy Oriental Fougère, balanced by a gentle dry woody base.
KimJongKimJong 2 years ago
The opening of Xeryus Rouge was really experimental. What today's high-end oriental perfumes are lost.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 2 years ago
XR should be called the father of all "blue" fragrances. Has a resinous-green opening, a soapy heart and a creamy-woody drydown. Great!
HermeshHermesh 7 years ago
The peppery-spicy character goes unfortunately down in exuberant soapiness.

Luxus pur. Passt immer.
by ChicoRoch1
by Arlufkin
by Arlufkin

Popular by Givenchy

Gentleman Givenchy Réserve Privée by Givenchy Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2021) (Eau de Parfum Rouge) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2020) (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Givenchy Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Vetyver by Givenchy Givenchy III (2007) by Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy