Xeryus Rouge (1995) Eau de Toilette

Xeryus Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand

Xeryus Rouge (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Givenchy for men and was released in 1995. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Annick Ménardo

Top Notes Top NotesTarragon, Cactus, Kumquat
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Pelargonium, Red pepper, Cedar leaf
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Sandalwood, White musk, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 07.12.2019.

10.0 9.0 7.0 5.5/10

Zinobvlgari
Sticky sweetness in the oriental red twilight
I have a vintage miniature, very well preserved and after the test I have to say, somehow reminds me of another fragrance that I can't think of but unfortunately just not.
Unfortunately the top note is rather cheap. Too much sticky sweetsweet.
If you leave the scent strip one night, the big surprise comes in the morning.
Wow, full of the spice bomb in the oriental red twilight of an opium cave.
A crass mixture.
Very nice bottle, in red like the Evergreen XERYUS before in bluish-grey-metallica.
From the fragrance the red one does not come close to the first one.
8.0 5.0 7.0 9.0/10

Rating: Close to perfection
At least as far as I'm concerned. Xeryus rouge was one of those fragrances I bought when I had 1-3 fragrances at home and a bottle was running low. After it was emptied, I thought about the fragrance again and again, forgot it again, sprayed it on again while shopping etc. Recently, however, I realized where my fragrance journey was going, as I was slowly recognizing a pattern in my favorite fragrances which always returns. So is XR. After testing Revillon R and Coty Preffered Stock it became clear to me that all three fragrances start fresh and spicy and end in a woody base, one sweeter, the other less. As for the Xeryus Rouge, I like it one of the best in this 90s example trilogy. The most noteworthy here is in any case the opening with juicy cactus, fresh kumquat and the rose geranium from the heart note, which as always shows very early. Add the red pepper berry and musk notes. That's how scents are made! That still had hand and foot until the 90s...
Which fragrance I like I know now, if it weren't for the 70s and 80s which steal so many scents from the show.
Nevertheless, my focus is on the crashes of the 90s and I am curious what I will meet there!
7.0 9.0 9.0 9.5/10

Grandiose and masterful - Oriental for sweet refusers
There you can see that a good oriental fragrance does not necessarily have to be sweet. And that's exactly what makes Xeryus Rouge so unique. If you are looking for an oriental fragrance, you will often get a good portion of the oud resin put on your nose and often rounded off with a more or less loveless vanilla base note. Sometimes I have the feeling that when our fragrance composers can't think of anything else to ensure a longer shelf life, a little vanilla comes underneath and you write eau de parfum on it >> everything fine. This fragrance shows that vanilla is not necessarily needed for a legendary shelf life and sillage, and this as an eau de toilette.
A fragrance for all those who like the Oriental, but have their nose full of some sweet everyday fragrances in the truest sense of the word. 1 to 2 spray bursts and one experiences a true spice firework, which lasts a good 6 hours (summer) without becoming too intrusive. So you don't smell like spice musfa from the Baghdad market. In the end it becomes slightly sweetish, but is only very subtle (sandalwood). For my collection the fragrance is a beautiful new enrichment
6.0 8.0 9.0 6.5/10

Absolute Favourite
What do you want me to say? A fragrance that seems to split the community ... which is good, because XR stands for individuality since 1995! :-) Of course, I only discovered him for myself later, about 5 years ago. And yes: I can imagine that one (n) with it a little snarls, but I would smell him guaranteed from zig EDTs out. Ideal for my taste!

As always, I don't manage to decompose the fragrance into its individual components, but in its entirety XR convinces me with an animal fruitiness and flowery masculinity (if such a thing exists at all). I don't know of any other perfume product that smells like this and yet has something of everything: Freshness, spice, an exorbitant sillage and that special something that you just have to like and yet is completely suitable for everyday use!

Givenchy: Douze Points! ;-)

LicoriceRain
CACTUS flesh or ROTTING flesh?
Well, after giving Xeryus Rouge such a good review, I am back again. But THIS time, not so good. I thought I had found a new signature scent, but I was wrong. That raw (VERY raw) cactus flesh is a bit too much for me. (CACTUS flesh or ROTTING flesh?) I can certainly see why some people find XR disgusting. I find it almost tolerable on fabric, but definitely not on my skin. XR has gone from “love” to “dislike” in less than a month.
7.5 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Unlike anything else
Very unusual scent (very unique). Smells different, in a good way. I find it suitable for a party cause i think that projects well and have a very good lasting power.

PROS:
- Good projection and lasting power.
- Unusual spicy smell

CONS:
- Underrated
- Not very "romantic"

I want this in my collection cause i think if one of the best of Givenchy and unlike anything else. If you are a fragrance collector or looking for some different scent, try this, can be a nice surprise.

Regards.
5.0 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Exotic cactus
Very unique scent. In my opinion this is one of the best releases from Givenchy.

Fruity and spicy at the same time, it's actually hard to describe it.

Opens with a great cactus and kumquat notes layered over a peppery cedar base.
The little sweetness is in the right amount.

Sillage, lasting power and projection are high.

Definetely a must have and big thumbs up!

Updated January 2014
5.0 7.5 7.0/10

Fiery and sexual
The bottle seemed to exude a lot of promise. The red could have represented something hot and sexy, or masculine and bold. In all honesty, Xeryus is a bit of everything. This is quite possibly one of the most intriguing male fragrances I've come across in the last few years.

It's crisp yet fiery and spicy. Xeryus Rouge makes me think of all those men in my life that were so bad that they were impossible to resist. Both those men and this fragrance has me drawn like a moth to a flame. This fragrance is dangerous and exciting.

If you're looking for a scent that equates to sex, look no further. This woodsy, spicy and slightly sweet scent is commanding, masculine and sensual. It gets me all hot just talking about it.

I can really sense the red hot chilli in this fragrance, which gives off a rather warm yet fresh, invigorating feel. The scent can be a little sharp and tart-like at times, but only when smelt up-close. From a distance, Xeryus Rouge has a definite, subtly sweet smoothness.

This fragrance is so unique that it almost puts what I hold as 'out-of-the-ordinary' to shame. All the complexity that is contained in this one bottle is quite breath-taking.

The lasting strength is great, and let's be honest, this fragrance has the ability to suit practically every season and every occasion. Just make sure that you wear this during a passionate night with your lover, it will drive her absolutely insane and she'll remember this fragrance for years to come.

Hermesh 4 years ago
The peppery-spicy character goes unfortunately down in exuberant soapiness.
5.0

by Muhamad
by Euz
by Euz

Popular Givenchy

Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Dahlia Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Dahlia Divin (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Ange ou Démon Le Secret (Eau de Parfum) / Ange ou Étrange Le Secret by Givenchy Very Irrésistible Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Very Irrésistible Givenchy for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy