Ysatis (1984)Eau de Toilette

Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy
Bottle Design Catherine Krunas, Pierre Dinand

Ysatis (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Givenchy for women and was released in 1984. The scent is floral-chypre. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Rosewood, Galbanum, Coconut, Mandarin, Neroli, Orange blossom, Citric notes
Heart Notes Heart NotesHoney, Florentine iris, Jasmine, Narcissus, Egyptian rose, Tuberose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Clove, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Vetiver, Civet, Castoreum, Precious woods, Bay rum

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 05.12.2019.

8.0 8.0 9.0 10.0/10

Vieavecjulie
...Ysatis, a goddess in scented form...
"How does it feel?
She makes it sweeter than the sun
I get too tight I come andone
I bow my head to confess"

Ysatis fills me with deepest, olfactory contentment and happiness. I inhale this fragrance deeply and feel, to put it indecently, "high" through this divine perfume. I want more, more, more and I just can't get enough.

Ysatis is pure decadence. Lascivious, lavish and unapproachable. Besides Ysatis, there is no one else and they don't care what anyone might think about her. She knows she attracts attention and not even that touches her. The lady here is not to be underestimated. She's a hell of a girl. She knows what she wants and she gets it too - without big words.

Hardly pressed on the spray head, I am overcome by the opulence of the aldehydes, slightly fruity, slightly woody, slightly spicy and radiant. And then it hits the heart. What a divine tuberose! Flowing honey soaks them, rose petals gently refine. Jasmine & Ylang-Ylang intensify the wonderful experience. And it really is - an experience.

The base is a dream of Zibet, oakmoss, beavergeil and patchouli. Amber and a delicious rum note elevate this to liquid gold.

Ysatis is incredibly rich, luxurious and seductive. A dream.

Ysatis is made of material that will be remembered forever and always awakens the longing for a reunion.

Absolutely great.

(Vintage verse.)

Au secours !
Help, c ´est trop! Too many white flowers, lilies, daffodils, jasmine, orange blossoms... i suffocate, can't breathe, and that nectar isn't removed from my wrist. Dear Ysatis Adepts, please don't be angry, the world would be so boring and uniform if we all had the same taste. Ysatis, if my olfactory memory is not mistaken, Magnolia is similar to Yves Rocher's and I never liked him then either...
10.0 8.0 9.0 10.0/10

Santalwalti
A fragrance like velvet and silk...
A fragrance like velvet and silk
A princely jewellery
Brilliant, shimmering splendour
Of monstrous power
So transparent, so bright and clear
I like you, find you wonderful

From rosewood your wood is
The shell hides with great pride
Orange blossoms - dainty dish'
Citrus and neroli, which speaks for itself
With shining parade your melody sounds
Summoning and yet full of harmony

Kidnapping me in the garden
Where only the finest flowers wait
Rose, jasmine and lily fragrance
I feel and breathe your air < br /> At the edge of the forest your moss
I'll salvage myself in your lap < br />
Three sounds hum their melody
- Musk, Ambre, Patchouli -
You sound so warm and flatter very
Waves rustle like at the sea
So I like sailing around the world
Your scent that I like so much

A fragrance like velvet and silk
A princely jewellery

Thank you, dear Gold, you brought me with your comment to the Ysatis - Extrait on this heavenly scent. I then blindly bought the Eau de Toilette and love this perfume very much, I'm always happy about it.
10.0 9.0 10.0 9.5/10

Ylang dreams
When I first tried Ysatis, it was the current formula. I thought it was nice but extremely weak and not worth the trouble.
But I really enjoyed the scent so I decided to hunt down a vintage bottle, finally securing one from 1984. It was this or nothing else.
And my, what a difference!

Immediately recognizable as Ysatis, this first batch is also out of this world, i.e. It contains everything that is missing from today's formula; richness, power, oakmoss and civet, strangely a leathery facet, creaminess, indulgence.
In a time when every powerhouse was focused mostly on tuberose (Poison), and oriental notes (Coco, Opium), Ysatis came to showcase the languid sensuality of Ylang Ylang, dressing it with exotic flowers, rich spices and mosses, and animalic notes to bring out the innate warmth of the flower. And it succeeds!

The opening, highly recognizable to anyone familiar with the scent, is a creamy, banana like ylang ylang, that is accompanied by jasmine (the dirty kind) and orange blossom. Not aldehydic on me.
Soon after, some carnation and bay leaf spice up the floralcy, making it grow wilder, more sensual, floriental. Becoming the definition of the word, Ysatis is spicy flowers dancing on warm skin. Sexy and sweaty, with just enough greenness to tone down the lushness.
But this doesn't last long. Mid development and the animalic breath of civet appears, to stay until the drydown, making the florals once again light up with fire.
There's a leathery feel that I don't know where it's coming from, which makes Ysatis even more dirty. Leather? Castoreum?

The rum note is missing from my nose, it might be there, hidden under the drunken flowers, contributing to the creaminess.

Smelling vintage Ysatis is a whirlwind of emotions. The current version feels diluted, flat and somehow 'cheap' in comparison, something more evident when you compare the two, and notice they share more differences than similarities. And because of this rich and layered complexity, the vintage works great on women and men alike.
Lovers of strong perfumes, skanky florals, orientals and vintages in general, this one is for you. Decadent, luxurious and power built, it struts through the streets letting everyone know Ysatis is here.
Amazing sillage and longevity.
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

JetonToni
Ysatis - an opening of the senses, a journey into the realm of infinite transformation
Ysatis by Givenchy is a fascinating fragrance. It was created in 1984 so to my birth year.
It's a lover's scent. A fragrance that the mass doesn't buy but a number of people all over the world who have fallen for this fragrance.

I hold my exact 2000 vintage bottle in my hands (18 years old) on the cardboard box is also Oakmoss indicated which means that here also oakmoss was processed and it is vintage.

It is a fragrance that was created for its time. It smells of the '80s, of Karacho, of Wumms, of seduction and embarrassment. It smells a little like aldehyde at the beginning, then becomes flowery powdery, a little bit sweetish, oriental, heavy and a little bit tart is also there, which merges wonderfully with the sweetness.

I'll spray for you: Zisch!

It starts with Aldeyhde, with a soapy note. After a few minutes, the fragrance becomes sweeter and reveals what it can do. Is it a little First of Arpel's? Or even N°4 from Jil Sander. Or is it Poison? A note of all three seem to have mixed in here. One recognizes splendid flowers, honey, but also metallic notes, harsher notes and also animal notes!

Zibet is scented out as it has this ammoniacal note. Leathery notes of Bibergeil are also perceptible. Vetiver and oakmoss are also part of the game, and something liqueur-like (like the rum ?) with an 80s vanilla give themselves a hand after about 4/ an hour and a half and dance for hours and hours.

Ysatis smells very, very expensive. Luxury, oil - bubble bath, seduction, flowers (all the tuberose) were used here in huge quantities that it gets dizzy. Everything that was allowed back then came in here. A bit of fruit, lots of flowers, lots of powder, the noblest honey was packed in (forgets the honey that was produced in some starlet scent from today). The honey from Ysatis smells high-quality and not sticky, but refined and goes a symbiosis with the other fragrance ingredients). Animal secretions in excess (musk, civet, beaver horny) and woody notes make the fragrance complete with vanilla at the end.

The bottle reflects the spirit of the time. Like a work of art, a nostalgia.

Here I also see a blond vamp with a lion's mane and the little black one. A man in a black tuxedo and bow tie kisses her neck that smells of the man-killing Elixir. He will succumb to her, for Ysatis is a weapon, told of the finest fabric of noble scents.

In any case, this scent would have also fitted well to Mrs. Enst (the Oberhese of witches witches). Such a somewhat gloomy scent would have fitted well to her, if she hadn't used it before ?!

Ysatis is like a hieroglyph. It sends hidden messages. It's magic. You can't avoid the Ysatis. Although out of fashion (for today) it still seems mystical and seductive.
Ysatis is an opera ball scent. It requires attention and should NEVER be used in the office or on a hot summer day. I used it once on a hot July day and was glad to have arrived home. Ysatis attracts bees! Two followed me on that day and only when I closed the door behind me could I breathe a sigh of relief. Also, the scent becomes a monster when you exaggerate or wear it in the heat.

Ysatis is a winter scent for clinking cold minus temperatures wearable. It can comfort and warm. Although Eau de Toilette is the fragrance better in the Sillage and shelf life than some Eau de Parfum or even Extrait.

Ysatis keeps 12- 13- sometimes even 14 hours on the skin. On clothing and freshly washed hair only after a few days it begins to fade but has not completely disappeared even after that. By the way, my bottle has a bracelet with oriental pearls in gold, red, yellow and turquoise. What version might this have been ? The pearl bracelet looks oriental and vintage it was in the box with inside when I bought Ysatis and I like. Good to wear like the legendary Rollys Royce from Givenchy.

Germanblonde
My first grown up fragrance gifted to me
This was the very first fragrance I ever received, strangely from my boss way back when as a birthday present (No, he had no intentions of any kind, as an editor-in-chief he got a lot of samples, and so us girls got either gifted fragrances of books he received for reviews, But I received the big bottle and used it up eventually). It is not really me, but I liked it then and still like it today. I only wear it occasionally like a reminiscence for years long gone by, but it is almost too flowery for me to really LOVE it.

Gonna go to hunt...
I don't have Ysatis yet, but now after having red the review of "jtd" I want it, I will find a vintage sooner or later with "the golden cap" as "Matriarch" suggests.
So far I love some of the vintage eighties scents, poison, Boucheron, amarige, organza, honestly I prefer them to the amouages of which I have a few, they are good, but quit a few of the eighties are more to my liking, I simply love them.
I don't like eighties fashion, although I am very pleased with the return of the jeans which close at the waist, so more beautiful than the low rise jeans of which the band cuts in the "fat" of the hips. Almost every woman has that, as slim as one might be. The fragrances are about the only thing I like from the eighties, furniture etc....yack, but some of the fragrances ...yummie. It all depends in my opinion (nobody has to agree) how one behaves and how one is dressed...in a way like, a woman with pearls, little black dress and a loud fragrance...or black trouser suit, white blouse, pearls and again a loud perfume... That type, comme on dit en français "BCBG" even in casual clothing...

jtd
Givenchy Ysatis (1984) gives me some new thoughts on scent and memory. It comes from an era when I rarely wore perfume, and didn't pay attention to the state-of-the-art at all.  Still, I remembered it instantly when I found a perfectly preserved vintage specimen recently.

Ysatis is more nuanced than Dior Poison, less car-alarmish than Givenchy Amarige, less cartoonish than Boucheron by Boucheron. There's no doubt it's cut from the same cloth, though. It's a classic 80s signature fragrance.  In the 80s, an era noted for valuing assimilation and aspiration, a signature fragrance wasn't one that made you stand apart, it was one that loudly signaled your inclusion with a group, or affiliation with a type. No one of these fragrances was fatal, but together, they were nightmarish. (note: At this time I lived in New York City, a city of public transportation and confined spaces.) They made me appreciate the ridiculous slogan of the era: Just Say No.

So, memory.  I remember associating this perfume with the go-go sensibility of the 80s. It was a time of gross misproportion, of ill-judged dynamics.  The perfume and fashion of the era might have been set-dressing, but their were indicative, and Ysatis demonstrates the inappropriateness.

Example:  shoulder pads aren't my style, but I can understand their use in suits jackets dresses. In the 80s, shoulder pads were used in short sleeve T-shirts. Imagine a T-shirt so poorly fitted that the bulk of the voluminous fabric hanging about your waist must be tucked into your high waisted jeans. Slapping some packaging material into the shoulders of this T-shirt does nothing to mitigate its inattention to the human form. In fact, it highlights it. The person who wore this T-shirt/jeans combination wore Poison in elevators. Wore Cacharel Lulu to brunch.  Wore clouds of YSL Paris on the RR. Wore Amarige to the gym. You get the picture.

Ysatis shares the era's sin of volume, but it utterly typifies another great miscalculation of the time, which is the overuse of formality.  The market of smart sportswear had yet to be unearthed in the 1980s. The choice was often torn Levi's or a hideous dress, and the hideous dress usually won. A variation of an old bromide was reinvented for the 1980s: If it things worth doing it's worth doing... with ruffles, with chintz, with gris gris, with cheap adornment.  "Jewelry" was stated,"costume" was implied.

Seen from later eras, Ysatis could be considered tasteful version of the big 80s perfumes. But what is the value of a slightly more tasteful monster?  It’s like someone kicking you hard in the balls, but not as hard as he could have. Dominique Ropion is a master of the highly calibrated floral perfume. But for current use, Ysatis lacks the camp of Opium, Poison, Giorgio. They are dated and caricaturish, but they’re fun.  Ysatis, Ropion's tailored monster, is so busy sucking in her cheeks and posing she doesn't crack a smile.

from scenthurdle.com
4.0/10

Elegant, formal & moneyed
To me, Ysatis is elegant, formal and moneyed. Black taffeta gown, Tahitian pearls, Walborg beaded bag. Ysatis is a gorgeous, classic Perfume with a capital P.

Ysatis wears very similar to an oriental on me, just a tad sweet & spicy. The aldehydes & white florals (jasmine & tuberose) are too strong for my taste, giving me a headache. Warm weather is definitely not the time to wear a perfume such as this.

I often see the words 'old lady' associated with Ysatis. I think a better term is 'old-school': Ysatis is a beautiful, old-school perfume, just like how perfumes used to be made.

Turin says this is the first floriental, although it's technically a chypre. Nevertheless, give it a try. Sample first, buy second.
7.5 10.0 9.0/10

Matriarch
Super Feminine, Perfectly Balanced & Almost Certainly Emulated by Elizabeth Taylor's White Diamonds
A favorite of mine over the past twenty years, I've gone through too many bottles of this sweet juice to count! It's a shame that it has been reformulated and has lost a measure of lushness and oomph. (Still worth owning, but buy a vintage bottle with a gold cap if you can find one.)

In my opinion, Elizabeth Taylor's White Diamonds was designed to emulate this exquisite fragrance....there are too many similarities for it be a coincidence and it came out 7 years later than Ysatis so it is possible. I can imagine ET falling in love with this somewhat pricey Givenchy scent and creating White Diamonds as a less costly version that could be afforded by the average woman.
5.0 10.0 10.0 8.0/10

Ysatis
I'm surprised that jasmine is not in the fragrance card i can smell pervasive amounts of it.
to the skin it brings out a soapish scent with an opening of aldehydes the civet i think makes it heavy and oily
i do notice a bit of coconut which suble but nicely done. the drying down
turns into an warm reisen of galbanum
with dry brazilian rosewood.
the heart is hard to detect but i can smell a bit of an honey note the drydown
is prodominly of sweet amber that is cloyish and strong amount of vanilla
and also a wisp of black liqcorice.
7.5 7.5 8.0/10

A classic beauty that never aged
Ysatis is fascinating. Powdery, elegant, beautiful and classical.

I had really expected something extremely outdated, strong and aldehydic, however this is no Chanel No.5, Ysatis is different.

The fragrance opens with soft aldehydic notes, creamy coconut and refreshing citrus, balanced out by subtle spiciness. The scent throughout has a likable powdery-incense quality that is both unique and sensual.

A previous reviewer mentioned the prominent honey note which adds a sense of happiness, which I certainly agree with. The honey, vanilla, coconut and ylang-ylang does create a delicate sweetness, however the galbanum, patchouli, cloves, civet and oakmoss, give Ysatis a damp greeness which can be bitter at times. Animalistic yet refined really sums up this fragrance well.

I don't get much in the way of white florals here, it's more powdery and fresh than anything else to my nose. The lasting power is truly worth the price as its richness lingers on the skin for days. Ysatis is strong and powerful with a lot of character. I recommend.

Jazzy76 21 months ago
Finally I tested, after many years: what a good trip! Rich, warm, opulent, exactly like the 80es. The price is high, but it's my new must!+2

die Märzkirsche am sonnigen Frühlingsabend– in vollendeter Blüte
by Rosaviola
by Rosaviola
Ysatis & Isatis tinctoria
by Florblanca
Im Hintergrund meines Ysatis die Isatis tinctoria oder auch Färberwaid, die aus beigen Goldgräberhosen blaue Jeans machte.
by Pluto
by Schahram
by BBking
by BBking

Popular Givenchy

Pi (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Amarige (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Ange ou Démon (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Play Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Dahlia Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Xeryus Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Insensé (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Dahlia Divin (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy Ange ou Démon Le Secret (Eau de Parfum) / Ange ou Étrange Le Secret by Givenchy Very Irrésistible Givenchy (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Organza Indécence (1999) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy III (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy Very Irrésistible Givenchy for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy L'Interdit (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Givenchy pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Givenchy